JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hamasaki Ayumi - Tell All

Author Topic: I need a laptop/notebook...Suggestions??  (Read 8593 times)

Offline vscarecrow

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: I need a laptop/notebook...Suggestions??
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
If you're planning on running Linux, an intel graphic chip should be a consideration because the drivers are open source which means it is very well supported.

Offline jimmydotnet

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • proud to be malaysian
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 02:16:37 AM »
prefer mac,hp or toshiba....dell hmmm... :-X

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 05:47:56 AM »
Lenovo's Thinkpad's have intel's new processors with 800mhz fsb, chipset, the turbo memory cache or whatever it's called, and 802.11n wifi cards

They also have the new R61 in a 14inch widescreen and a the new T61 in 14inch widescreen.

Also if you live in the US they have a sale and you can get a pretty good set-up for a little more than 1K USD. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Also

in MacBook news, they've added faster chips. If you can get a student discount you can get the most basic setup for 999 USD which isn't bad at all.

Speaking of 11n, is it really worth getting a laptop with it now?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:49:36 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 06:09:15 AM »
Speaking of 11n, is it really worth getting a laptop with it now?
As the firmware in these is upgradable these days, it doesn't really matter.

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 07:57:42 AM »

get one of these ^

better yet, get two, and send one to me.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:57:57 AM by thatguy »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 09:07:03 AM »
that's one smexy laptop :O
hmm not as expensive as I thought...

and you can get flash memory with it instead of a hdd
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:23:15 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline Since1983

• Miki Fujimoto's Sex Slave
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 08:47:58 AM »
For $500, you won't be able to get a Sony laptop. Although they look cool, Sony's are overpriced and their tech support sucks. If something goes wrong, you have to ship your laptop off somewhere at your expense and wait for it to be fixed. Better off getting an IBM if you have the money.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;)

Offline Ren

• ワーイε=ヾ(*・∀・)/
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I'm a girl!
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 06:09:39 AM »
For me laptops = lightweights. I learnt this the hardway after lugging my old 3.2KG ferrari 3000 around.
On Topic: The Satellites are really heavy (toshiba). If I could go back and buy a different laptopl/desktop I would in a heartbeat.
These two are so true, I am using Toshiba Satellite R10 which is supposed to be a lightweight tablet pc but it is just so heavy. I feel cheated because Satellite R10 costs $2000 around that time and the specifications are truly awful, I like to use Adobe Photoshop and other heavy softwares like Microsoft Visual Studio, Lotus Notes Domino etc for my study purposes, but I get blue screen everytime I start Lotus Notes Domino 7 even only with a clean Windows install (just re-formatted). With tablet pc I need to sacrifice the spec and all... I want to go for Portege but its a lot more expensive than Stellite series with the same specifications... Even with a maximum price limit of $1469 I still can't get a Portege with my needed specification. Tecra's design is ew and Qosmio is biiiig.

I like Dell, but their consumer support in my country is so bad or even non-existing. Same with Sony Vaio, Vaio is too expensive but the design is slicck~ my sister use a Vaio, the model is very good.

With IBM I heard that its only mostly used for work purposes, so if you want to have your laptop for work you better off with IBM Ienovo (or maybe ThinkPad). Don't get IBM for game purpose. ;D

Fujitsu is the same as Vaio, overpriced.

I'd suggest an Acer.
They feel a bit cheeply made (in the case) but they're a lot sturdier than they look.

The components inside an acer are currently the best bang for your buck.
if the processor says intel centrino/core or amd turion, you're good for decent power and battery life.
(minimum 2 hours)

whatever you do make sure you remove your battery when you have your computer plugged in and the battery is fully charged.
keeping your laptop plugged in for long periods with your battery still in is a good way to shorten your battery's lifespan and ability to hold a charge.
My lecturer's Acer laptop got blew (burst? explode?) during a middle of class. Was like "phew" and the screen is black and the whole class was like "Huh?". None of my friends recommend Acer too, but I have a friend who is using Acer and is perfectly fine for half a year now :).

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 06:40:21 AM »
With tablet pc I need to sacrifice the spec and all...
Depends, my HPx1020 (AMD TL50, 12.1" screen) is less then 2kg, has a Vista CPU index of 4.6 (and 5.1 for the 2GB memory) nVidia Go 6150 video.

But don't try to write on it, its a resistive touchscreen, good for pointing not for writing/drawing.
And because of the AMD the battery runtime is not stellar (but you get two battery packs to compensate).

Notebooks is still a trade-off, the reasons to buy thisone was: weight, CPU speed, s-video plus s/pdif out and touchscreen.

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hamasaki Ayumi - Tell All