JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ogre You Asshole - Heikin wa Sayuu Gyaku no Kitai

Author Topic: odd Korean girls...  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Takahashi Ai *FAP*
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« on: January 20, 2007, 08:54:19 PM »
Well this is a Wii related topic but here it goes.  My best friend oddly enough lives in Korea, which until recently has had no exposure to Nintendo much...I think it's mostly Sony and Blizzard because she knows what a Playstation is.  So she's been living with me while visiting B.C. and the Wii was released on her b-day which I lined up for (12 hours (@___@))  Anyways when I brought it home she didn't even know what Nintendo was.  Recently I was playing Bonk's Adventure and she's like "OMG I KNOW THIS GAME, I PLAYED THIS GAME!"  Later on we get talking about games and she tells me she loves Antartic Adventure a 8 bit NES game that to my knowledge was never very popular (but I knew what it was and just so happened to have the ROM on hand).  What I'm baffled by is...how the hell do you not know what Nintendo or Mario is (yes, she didn't know who Super Mario Brothers were, no lie) but you know who Bonk is and Antartic Adventure...it just doesn't register with me.

Offline aznanimedude

• Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 10:38:54 PM »
lol when i saw this title i was thinkng it'd be about these odd korean girls
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QxBtlBG7GyE

Offline Dizzy

• Takahashi Ai *FAP*
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »
I love those girls and one of the girls in the group (that does the show, not the 2 girls performing) looks a lot like Yoon Eun-hye or maybe I'm just insane *droolz*

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:48:13 PM »
Nintendo just probably never made any major attempts to advertise in Korea. Either that or maybe she's totally out of the loop over there.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Dizzy

• Takahashi Ai *FAP*
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:50:47 PM »
It's 'cause the company Nintendo put in charge or marketing are a bunch of douche bags.  They have Nintendo of Japan handling the advertising in Korea now (oddly enough) and they got some male celebrity playing DS on the Korean page for Nintendo...hopefully things will pick up there.  I just find it odd how she recognizes Bonk OF ALL PEOPLE and not Mario...I mean I could understand Sonic...but BONK?

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 02:04:32 AM »
I don't think this all that weird. It's possible that she's just not that into video games. If so, she probably just plays some random games she comes across. I know a few people who can tell me a game they really liked, but they don't know the character's names, the developer's name, or anything else. Maybe she just played those games by chance.

Offline kaminokami2086

• ecchi
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 02:57:11 AM »
As much as we love gaming, not everyone in the worls is priveleged enough to game. At least Koreans are lucky enough to gain access to some games.

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »
Nintendo is well known in the US because there was a Nintendo Entertainment System.  That same system was marketed as the Famicom in Thailand (as well as some other parts of Asia), and many Thais of that generation never really knew that the company making it was called Nintendo.

Offline bdash

• CHOCOBO!!!
  • ecchi
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 02:09:09 AM »
Which korea does she come from?
I just thought it would be kind of interesting to see the differences between northa nd south korean entertainment
i myself don't know very many korean people

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 02:59:48 AM »
^lol it kinda shows.

anyway, I went to Korea in 1995, my parents taught english at a school and I would come along. There was a boy there my age who was the grounds keepers son who had this game system. I had never seen anything like it before cause in Australia we had the NES and Sega Master Systems.
I'm not really sure what the game system was. The cartridges held 100's of games and one of the games on it that we would always play was this one of a Penguin running along on the ice I'm guessing this was Antarctic Adventure? But that said I think this is why the girl didn't know anything about NES because the system we played this game on definately wasn't a NES

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 03:11:55 AM »
i'll keep it short.

NEC -> PC-Engine
NEC -> had Korean market
NEC -> PC-Engine -> Was also sold in Korea.
PC-Engine "Mascot" -> Bonk/PC Genjin

general assumption, but it's the same reason why Sonic(Sega) is more well known in Brazil compared to Mario, etc.

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 03:31:22 AM »
Quote from: ebc;291355
umm, i'm trying to make sense of your post, what's NEC got to do with Antartic Adventure and the rest of this thread's subject?

NEC is the the company responsible for PC-Engine, which Hudson developed for, and one of Hudson Soft's game's was PC Genjin, the deemed "mario-type mascot" for the console.

i was only pointing to the possible reason of why she knows who Bonk/PC Genjin is. it was fairl popular for quite a while, way back.

honestly, i dont know what antartic adventure is.

but the penguin game you were talking about was probably Konami's Yume Penguin Monogatari, which was actually released for the Famicom/NES. :)

and about the Sonic-Brazil thing, that's because Nintendo wasn't marketed in Brazil, but Sega did well there.. (esp. the Master System)

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 05:39:47 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Adventure
That's the penguin game i'm talking about.

I don't know what the system was that we played it on though.

Offline browngom

• ecchi
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 10:12:21 PM »
whats super mario? haha jk. ahh im bored

Offline Dizzy

• Takahashi Ai *FAP*
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 10:21:51 PM »
Yeah that's the game...that pengiun brings back many memories of playing NES when I was a lad XD  I beat that game in 1 night but it rocked.  I guess the whole NEC thing makes sense.  Hopefully Nintendo's new marketing will get them some publicity, I showed her the site (http://www.nintendo.co.kr) and she knows who that is playing the DS Lite.  She's from South Korea...I'm not exactly sure what place, it's just not Seoul XD (I know like...5 people that live in Korea now thanks to living in B.C. hahaha)

Offline djnvee

• ecchi
  • Member+
odd Korean girls...
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 11:10:29 PM »
Quote from: aznanimedude;288103
lol when i saw this title i was thinkng it'd be about these odd korean girls
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QxBtlBG7GyE

thats pretty funny too bad i cant understand korean enough.

Wow antarctic adventure that brings back memories. My roomates the same way she has no clue about nintendo, but when she sees sonic her eyes light up. She spent all day playing sonic once I got it on the WII

Offline 1764

odd Korean girls...
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 09:22:03 AM »
She probably played NES when she was young..

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ogre You Asshole - Heikin wa Sayuu Gyaku no Kitai