JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - X

Author Topic: ステーシーズ 少女再殺歌劇 Stacey's maiden murders at the opera house  (Read 11431 times)

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Oh wow, I think I figured it out.
Kinniku Shojo Tai had a song from 1994, "Riruka no Souretsu". (Riruka's funeral procession)

http://www.kids.co.jp/King-Show/disco/html/riruka.html
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2039080

I guess it's just a reference to the name in the song, then?
That's significantly less interesting than I was hoping for...
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
^Oh well we can't have everything. XD The author, Ootsuki Kenji, is also the founder of Kinniku Shojo Tai, so it seems reasonable to reference it.

I think every time I rewatch parts of the musical as I progress with the novel, I keep finding new insights. o_o I was watching Act III again on its own and trying to figure out what was going on, and I think I'm beginning to understand the story. o_o Still trying to wrap my mind around it though...

In the novel, they mention Eiko always holding on to windchimes. I didn't think much of that little detail until just now when I was watching, that every time there was a major scene transition/flashback regarding Eiko, you hear the sound of windchimes. I thought it was a nice touch and a useful plot device. XD

Also yes, I am obsessed with the musical in case no one noticed. There's so much depth to it that I need to keep watching it to process what exactly is going on. And Reina's acting is giving me the chills in the final scene *watching right now* T___T

I feel like I must write fic. lol. And so, are we gonna sub this or what? Though I think I might have to try and finish reading the book first because the dialog in the musical is taken for the most part from the book, and it makes my life easier than trying to decipher what they said. XD If only they release the script...

BTW fun fact, during Saisatsu Butai, the male chorus after every line is actually "DEATH! HEAVEN! LIVE!". Not sure what's the exact significance but there you go.

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Having first seen Eiko portrayed as always holding onto a wind chime/bell in the movie, I was actually a little disappointed that it didn't show up more prominently in the musical. I can understand why they wouldn't include it in the musical for practical reasons, but it seemed like it was a pretty big part of her characterization in the movie. It was like a parallel for Eiko herself--bright, chattery, and delicate. Yet the sound itself somehow is bright, cold, and creepy at the same time. It seems like spirits are frequently depicted with the sound of jingling bells. Then when she crushes it after she succumbs to NDH, it's an especially effective device to show her transformation into a Stacy.

Even more crushing than that imagery was the inscription on its tag.

I haven't heard of anyone else even considering picking up this project, so I'd be up for working on it. It's just too good to be kept out of reach to the fans that don't understand any Japanese.  I'll have to learn how to do timing and encoding, but those are skills I've been wanting to pick up anyway.

And so THAT'S what the male chorus was saying, huh? It was always so indistinct that I couldn't ever make it out. Thanks for figuring it out!
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
I agree that's particularly effective imagery for the movie (with the wind chime/bell), since it's a largely visual medium, whereas I think the visual effect (plus, practicality XD) would be lost in the more expressive physical form of the musical. That they preserved the sound for the scene transitions regarding Eiko was a decent homage I guess -- though interestingly enough, for the final flashback at the last act, they DIDN'T use the bell to transition, whereas in all other flashbacks with Shibukawa and Eiko, it is always signaled by that bell sound. It is as you say, the destruction of the bell in the movie marks her transformation into a Stacy, and similarly in the musical, Shibukawa's memory is not punctuated with the sound of the bell for that final scene where Eiko is dead and about to be reanimated. Subtle devices that people who have either watched the movie or read the book would notice, and maybe not even then.

Ok so we're on to doing this? XD Do you have an IM contact I can reach you at? I can slowly start translating the dialog from the start、though I won't be able to do it very quickly since I'm in the process of moving house (again, lol) but I should still be able to do it in bits.

Actually I'm still not 100% sure that's what the male chorus is saying. It could just as well be Death, Hell and Live. The audio is a bit fuzzy on the rip I got, I might go get the ISO instead and hope for clearer audio quality. Haha.

Edit: Except there is no ISO. Wut. >_>

Edit 2: Don't feel like doubleposting. Anyway I'm reading the book on the train again (I can't read more than a few.pages at a time, I don't think I can take the emotional overload), and I think the musical actually did q better job telling the story because of the way it was structured. In the book so far, Shibukawa and Eiko's story is told in linear, so we didn't get the delayed impact the way we did in the musical of Eiko's eventual, unavoidable fate. And I'm still only in the first part of the book and am wondering what else they cut or changed because THAT POOR HAMSTER. Yeah. Lol. Maybe I should translate the novel too >_> haha
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:32:54 AM by Estrea »

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
If anyone's interested in seeing the movie online, here's a site hosting the whole thing with English subs:

http://www.gooddrama.net/japanese-movie/stacy-attack-of-the-schoolgirl-zombies-2001

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Finally it's done! Enjoy this release from JPHiP Subcru!

http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?app=xbt&CODE=details&torrent=53514

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
^Yayifications! Now GO SLEEP Slack! You've earned it! :lol:

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Mattthecat

• Licensed Nailpolish Caddy for Matsuura Aya
  • Member+
Amazing work. Thank you so much for a great effort  :twothumbs

Offline TommyVD

• ecchi
  • Member+
Thanks for the subtitles.
This may very well be the most interesting stageplay Morning Musume have ever done.
Now a lot more people will be able to enjoy it.

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
I didn't know where to put it in the torrent description, but this release has kind of a rare feature. It has named chapter markings that correspond to those found in the DVD!

Just wanted to put that info somewhere.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
Just wanted to say what a great job you guys did. I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much without the subs. :bow: Awesome hard work guys! :heart:

While watching, I felt the story's theme and atmosphere was a little too dramatic. :O
But by the halfway mark it all went jokes and loopy. So that was nice. :oops:
The movie is the canned zombie guts-fest. Not really my type. But it was pretty fun seeing the stuff that crossed over.

Batched the poster with some caps to use for me wallpaper (1360x768). Feel free to cut it into 165 pieces. :P

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Guess I don't need to upload it after all! Someone put it on youtube!

Offline CrypticShadow8

• ecchi
  • Member+
Seriously thank you for this upload. I have watched this play 3 times since I downloaded it and have watched various scenes and like all the songs a billion times. I've also forced my roommate to watch it with me. I definitely didn't think I'd like it as much as I did since I'm not really into Zombies (though my friend has been forcing me to watch The Walking Dead lately) but this play is like my new favorite thing.

I'll always have a soft spot for Cinderella and Ribon no Kishi but this play is definitely right up there with them.

You guys are awesome!  :twothumbs

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - X