JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Fra-foa - Plastic Room to Ame no Niwa

Author Topic: The SCANDAL Gear Thread  (Read 49238 times)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
The SCANDAL Gear Thread
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:07:15 PM »
There are bound to be any musicians here who share my interest in gear  XD This topic is to discuss the stuff what makes Scandal sound the way they sound. I'm into guitars myself, but if anyone wants to add some drums, amplifier or more guitar info, go ahead!  :)

Haruna's Gear

Main guitar: Fender Telecaster, black with maple fretboard and pearloid pickguard.

I think this is a USA model (22 frets) with a non-stock pickguard.

Other guitars:
- Fender Telecaster, black with rosewood fretboard (used in Shoujo S PV):

- Fender Stratocaster, black with maple fretboard:

Looks like it has those Lace Sensor pick-ups. it's not a Clapton strat, is it?!

Mami's Gear

Main guitar: Fender Stratocaster, white with stickers.

Other guitars:
- Fender Stratocaster, white with rosewood fretboard:

I THINK this is a different one than the stickers one.. but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'll figure it out for sure sooner or later.

- Gibson Double Cutaway, white with black pickguard and P90 pick-ups:

- Gibson (?) Double Cutaway, white with no pickguard:

Tomomi's Gear

Main Bass Guitar: Fender Jazz Bass, red with rosewood fretboard.

Other Basses:
- Fender Jazz bass.. 70's model? Sunburst with neck-binding:

Fender (or possibly Squier) Precision Bass, white with black pickguard (used in Shoujo S PV):

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:45:27 AM by BarrieV »

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
Re: The SCANDAL Gear Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 07:00:29 PM »
Mami seems to like the ESP Alexi Laiho Special Edition  XD

I love V-shaped guitars and would love to see her play them  :P

...wait a second, the pinstripes are different! That means it's a ripoff or maybe an Edwards model or something  :lol:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »
Great thread idea :thumbup

Mami seems to like the ESP Alexi Laiho Special Edition  XD
Wait, what? Alexi Laiho the Finnish guy? :huhuh

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »
Alexi Laiho, God of Metal, Children of Bodom frontman/lead guitarist, Finnish guy. Yes  :lol:

I actually met him, hugged him (no homo haha) and had a beer with him  XD That was a great day. He's a great guy.

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »
The pink pinstriped V she's holding is an Edwards model.  The pink model you posted is actually a USA model with a different body shape.

Mami's white guitar is interesting.  It looks like the strat is equipped with the S1 switching system, according to that sticker.  However, the only S/S/S strats that come with that setup are the American Deluxe series.  As far as I know, none of them came in that color combo (body color + pickguard) she's using.  You could say she swapped the pickguard and transferred the sticker, but the sticker is attached to the clear protective film that comes on guitars.  It would be a big PITA to do something like that.

The one black strat that Haruna is holding does not have noiseless pickups.  I believe you meant to say it has Lace Sensor pickups.  Clapton did run those for awhile in his strats, and I'd venture to say it is most likely a Clapton strat.  To be sure, you can check the headstock for Clapton's signature.
Feel free to PM me for Japanese to English translations.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:33:09 PM »
Actually, the one I posted is the Korean LTD, but I get your point  :) Btw, all ESPs are made in Japan these days. Damn copyright laws.. his Jackson Rhoads was way cooler.. but that's getting off-topic  :P

I'll definitely keep a look out for better pics of the guitars, so we can see what's what. They definitely like modding their stuff in term of changing pickguards. I came across another strat, which had a humbucker in the bridge, which could mean it could be just another strat or they (further) modded one of the s/s/s models.

Lace Sensor! Thanks, I couldn't come up with the name. I hope some decent headstock pics will show up.

btw, I've also seen her playing a BC Rich Beast  :lol:  For you 'guitar n00bs', it looks like this:

edit:

I am seriously GASsing for a telecaster with pearloid pickguard... (gas = gear aquisition syndrome)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:51:38 PM by BarrieV »

Offline mckool

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »
 :lol: :lol: interesting..though i guess it really doesn't what they play, even if they just  :shakeit:...um.. :fap
knew about them cuz they're all over the youtube links by those horny HK dudes~~

i'm a certified guitar freak too, nice analysis there  :thumbsup

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 01:02:41 AM »
Actually, the one I posted is the Korean LTD, but I get your point  :) Btw, all ESPs are made in Japan these days. Damn copyright laws.. his Jackson Rhoads was way cooler.. but that's getting off-topic  :P

I didn't bother clicking the picture.  I just went by the thumbnail.  XD Also, when I said "USA model," I meant it was marketed towards the US; I didn't mean it was made here.  Probably should have clarified.  :sweatdrop: (and yes, I actually loved his Rhoads models way more)

Edit: The second Jazz bass w/ the block inlays and binding is a 70s era model.  Block inlays started in like '71 or something.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519790&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=201312117

That one white Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway guitar, I almost wanna say that's the same guitar.  I think she just took off the pickguard (or put it back on, depending on how you wanna time the pictures).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:51:47 AM by Code001 »

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:47:09 AM »
Thanks for the bass info. I really don't know much about basses so all the input is welcome  :)

I think you may be right about the Gibson as well. I have a lot of unwatched Scandal footage, so I may be able to discover some more details about the gear later.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »
Haruna's Yamaha Pacifica:

This may be one of her first guitars. She used it in those street lives before they were famous.

And she got this nifty telecaster, which she thinks is "super cute":

She writes in spoken language on her blog a lot which is giving me trouble translating it.  :oops:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:33:57 AM by BarrieV »

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »

I only recognize the Boss Digital Delay...  :nervous

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
Boss TU-2, Boss DD-x (could be anything from 2 to 7.  Most likely a 3 or 6, though), Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff, unknown blue pedal, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, unknown looper/switcher board.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »
^Thanks for the input! It's a blog picture, so I don't have any bigger pictures (at the moment). I went to a guitar store to see if they have a similar looking looper, but no dice. They didn't have any decent Telecasters either... which is probably for the best since I don't really need one haha.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
^yes, here's another pic:

Bigger guitar pic:

1. I don't see Clapton's signature, but it may be invisible due to the lightning/angle?
2. A better look @ Mami's decorations.

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »
Look closely and you can see the very faint outline of the signature.  99% sure it's a Clapton strat.  In the other picture, Mami's plugging into what looks like a JCM800 2203/2204 horizontal input, but it's very hard to tell.

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 07:22:39 AM »
That's the newer model.  She has the older model.  The signature also changed between the older and newer models.  Here's a picture for reference showcasing the newer signature on the headstock that you posted and the older signature:

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 08:43:53 PM »
Couple of updates thanks to the pictures posted in the SCANDAL Picture Thread:

I previously said I thought the Marshall was a 2203/2204 horizontal input.  I said this because it looked like there were two input jacks, and she was plugged into the left-most one.  However, looking at the latest pictures and re-checking the small blog pic, I think it's a DSL50 or 100.  The black part that I thought was the extra input jack is probably just part of the input cable that I'm seeing at an angle.  It would make more sense because, if it was a JCM800, she would be plugging into the low input.  That's not a typical thing to do, especially with Marshalls.

A friend of mine thinks the blue pedal on Mami's board is a BFJ Sea Blue EQ pedal.  I have a hard time believing that, considering how boutique it is, but it's a step closer towards figuring out WTF it really is.  Those things are expensive as hell, too.

Onto more gear!

Mami:
Marshall DSL50 or 100 w/ Straight Marshall 4x12 (most likely JCM900)
Boss SD-1
Blue Boss pedal w/ 3 knobs in line (CE-3?)
Unknown green pedal

Haruna:
Yamaha Pacifica
Peavey Bandit Combo
Roland EV5 Expression Pedal
Ibanez TS9DX

Tomomi:
Warwick Cube 100
Yellow/Orange Boss pedal w/ 4 knobs (ODB-3?)
Roland EV5 Expression Pedal
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:45:55 PM by Code001 »

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »
ehhhh I thought Haruna used orange amps

I'm just going by the pics that were recently posted:

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 06:31:22 PM »
I've seen Haruna with a Fender amp as well. The Orange amps occasionally make an appearance:

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 06:34:43 PM »
Grim pics, but it looks like an Orange Rocker 30 with a PPC 4x12

JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Fra-foa - Plastic Room to Ame no Niwa