JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: BoA - Hypnotic Dancefloor

Author Topic: eurovision song contest 2008  (Read 6928 times)

Offline riOtkittin

• h!p fan since 2004
  • Member+
Re: eurovision song contest 2008
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »
Well, since a fourth of Russia are in Europe it would be weird if only that part was welcome in the Eurovision.
I'm more confused with Israel and Armenia being a part of Europe.. o_O
But wiki tells me that they are historically and culturally part of Europe. So, i'm not arguing.

I'm not really happy with the outcoming yesterday. =/
There were better songs than the winner. but.. the european people has said theirs. ^^

Was it only me that thought the swedish vote-deliverer was really funny? =D
The Moldovan one said a great deal of things but in so bad english that I almost didn't cath a word he said.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 03:36:41 PM »
haha I saw the Swedish announcer yesterday. That guy was completely stoned. 'IIiiiiceeeelllaaannddd' :lol:

So UK came last? Is it any surprise nowadays? It was a pretty crap song anyways. As usual though there's uproar from the UK about the whole thing. People say it's because of the invasion of Iraq but really, we just send in rubbish songs each year :lol: Best thing to do is for the BBC to stop wasting license fee payers money in funding this competition and withdraw. Nobody can possibly take it seriously anymore and expect us to win can they?

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »
Well, since a fourth of Russia are in Europe it would be weird if only that part was welcome in the Eurovision.
I'm more confused with Israel and Armenia being a part of Europe.. o_O
But wiki tells me that they are historically and culturally part of Europe. So, i'm not arguing.

All the countries that are members of EBU(European Broadcasting Union?) can participate so it's not really about geography, culture or history. Eventhough countries on the same continent of course have some common history and culture. Technically all the North-African counties could participate, if they liked to.

So UK came last? Is it any surprise nowadays? It was a pretty crap song anyways. As usual though there's uproar from the UK about the whole thing. People say it's because of the invasion of Iraq but really, we just send in rubbish songs each year  Best thing to do is for the BBC to stop wasting license fee payers money in funding this competition and withdraw. Nobody can possibly take it seriously anymore and expect us to win can they?

The UK's song surely was crap last year, but this year they had a lot better song. I just think UK and other Big Four -countries are not really gainin anything for getting straight to the final, without participating in semifinals. All the others already have their fanbase when the Big Four have to start from zero in the finals.
coot is ctz

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I shit my pants on a regular basis
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 10:00:43 PM »
Nobody can possibly take it seriously anymore and expect us to win can they?

I couldn't agree less. The fact that the UK doesn't take it seriously is the main factor in why we've done so badly in recent years. People may worship the ground Terry Wogan walks on but personally I think it's his fault this sort of thing has happened. His sarcastic comments may have been funny for a couple of years but they've gotten old now and it's thankls to his comments that the United Kingdom doesn't take it seriously anymore. Pretty much every other nation considers it an honour and those representing them equally so, the sooner we get out of out own arses the better.

Of course it helps if the songs any good which I personally don't think it was but that is just down to preference I guess, that's our own fault for picking something that obviously not many people liked.

And yes, political voting affects the UK in an adverse way as the only real "allies" we ever had since televoting was put into place are Ireland and Malta. Russia really were destined to win from the start considering who else was taking part and I guess I was a bit of an idiot for not seeing that myself. Though that was by a long long way my most hated song of the competition so maybe that's why I just tried to stay as far away from it as possible.

I hate saying that it is simply down to politics when talking about this, so I won't; I'll say it's mainly down to politics why Russia did so well and the UK did so badly. Personally I couldn't give a crap about where in the world or what language the winning entry is from as long as I like the song.

I porobably shouldn't be as annoyed as I am about this as it happens every year anyway but this was the first time in years I'd actually been looking forward to it and even took the time to check up on entries before hand only for it to end as it always has done.

Bah.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 12:04:46 AM »
I think if Finland has a chance of winning, like we won a couple of years ago, any country does! We usually only get pity points from Sweden and Estonia, but then one year suddenly points after points after points. It just takes the right song at the right time, maybe a bit of a risk. Maybe Lordi wouldn't have won if they had participated this year instead of 2 years earlier.

Politics definitely play a role in the voting, but if there was a really catchy & great song with a really great performance, it would have a chance.

With that being said, I hate that Finns now seem to think every year that we have a chance of winning. :lol: It's the same as with ice hockey: we win once and since then start to think we have a chance every year. For the record the last time we won gold on ice hockey was in 1995. We could go on the next 50 years in Eurovision thinking we might win, but not even make it to top 5. :lol:
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Seagull

• Ryo's lover <333
  • Member+
  • Soshified Shapley, E.L.F, Ryotard <3
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »
Björn Gustavsson  :heart: Sorry~ He was the swedish announcer and he always is like that, stoned I mean, or to much glögg~(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gl%C3%B6gg) XD*on topic*
I liked the russian song, but not the guy singing it~ Don't ask me why, I just can't stand his voice O_O I didn't think they're were any good songs this year, okey I really liked Serbias song, but not any of the others, For some reason I'm happy it didn't went well for Sweden, I just don't like the one singing~

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 01:38:42 AM »

I couldn't agree less. The fact that the UK doesn't take it seriously is the main factor in why we've done so badly in recent years. People may worship the ground Terry Wogan walks on but personally I think it's his fault this sort of thing has happened. His sarcastic comments may have been funny for a couple of years but they've gotten old now and it's thankls to his comments that the United Kingdom doesn't take it seriously anymore. Pretty much every other nation considers it an honour and those representing them equally so, the sooner we get out of out own arses the better.

Of course it helps if the songs any good which I personally don't think it was but that is just down to preference I guess, that's our own fault for picking something that obviously not many people liked.

And yes, political voting affects the UK in an adverse way as the only real "allies" we ever had since televoting was put into place are Ireland and Malta. Russia really were destined to win from the start considering who else was taking part and I guess I was a bit of an idiot for not seeing that myself. Though that was by a long long way my most hated song of the competition so maybe that's why I just tried to stay as far away from it as possible.

I hate saying that it is simply down to politics when talking about this, so I won't; I'll say it's mainly down to politics why Russia did so well and the UK did so badly. Personally I couldn't give a crap about where in the world or what language the winning entry is from as long as I like the song.

I porobably shouldn't be as annoyed as I am about this as it happens every year anyway but this was the first time in years I'd actually been looking forward to it and even took the time to check up on entries before hand only for it to end as it always has done.

Bah.

All valid points you raise there. It seems definately apparent that any country not taking it seriously or sending in a comedy song (e.g. Ireland) is going to get shafted in votes on the night by the ones taking it more seriously. All I'm saying is, a majority saw Eurovision as a farce even before this supposed Eastern European bloc political voting became more noted and maybe Wogan has played some part in that. But why is there a national uproar over it every year? Yes there's the same cases of political voting as there always has been (Andorra gives 12 to Spain, Norway 12 to Denmark etc) but surely the only way you'll be taken seriously and gain a little bit of respect back is by sending in proper artists, not an X-Factor reject. As I understand, the Russian singer already had several number ones before entering the contest. And the UK's not in dire shape in terms of pop music, let's be honest. Leona Lewis is the first one that springs to mind and who I could see doing well. Now if her entry only got 10 points on the night, then I would indeed cry foul over some kind of political shenanigans. But would you even see her entering? No chance, it's for the lesser, unheard artists it would seem and that's probably why they fail each year. Get a proper artist, a decent song, some hype surrounding it and then see what happens. I would be genuinely surprised if it produced the same kind of results.

I've always thought the UK shouldn't send in a pop act for once and send in a rock one. Think about it, Finland already plays to it's strengths by sending in a metal band, with metal surely as it's most popular music export, and what genre of music in the UK has produced the most iconic artists/bands? Rock music of course. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, the list goes on. May as well, it surely can't do much worse than any other act and it would be good to see a change. Though it will never happen if it depends on the public vote each year.

Offline Gblue

• 流れ星
  • Member+
  • 流れ星
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 09:43:16 PM »

Bah.

All valid points you raise there. It seems definately apparent that any country not taking it seriously or sending in a comedy song (e.g. Ireland) is going to get shafted in votes on the night by the ones taking it more seriously. All I'm saying is, a majority saw Eurovision as a farce even before this supposed Eastern European bloc political voting became more noted and maybe Wogan has played some part in that. But why is there a national uproar over it every year? Yes there's the same cases of political voting as there always has been (Andorra gives 12 to Spain, Norway 12 to Denmark etc) but surely the only way you'll be taken seriously and gain a little bit of respect back is by sending in proper artists, not an X-Factor reject. As I understand, the Russian singer already had several number ones before entering the contest. And the UK's not in dire shape in terms of pop music, let's be honest. Leona Lewis is the first one that springs to mind and who I could see doing well. Now if her entry only got 10 points on the night, then I would indeed cry foul over some kind of political shenanigans. But would you even see her entering? No chance, it's for the lesser, unheard artists it would seem and that's probably why they fail each year. Get a proper artist, a decent song, some hype surrounding it and then see what happens. I would be genuinely surprised if it produced the same kind of results.

I've always thought the UK shouldn't send in a pop act for once and send in a rock one. Think about it, Finland already plays to it's strengths by sending in a metal band, with metal surely as it's most popular music export, and what genre of music in the UK has produced the most iconic artists/bands? Rock music of course. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, the list goes on. May as well, it surely can't do much worse than any other act and it would be good to see a change. Though it will never happen if it depends on the public vote each year.

I'm very much with the thought we (the UK) should start sending in proper acts. And I never really thought of us sending in a rock band before, always considered pop artists. If next year is just shit again on the Making Your Mind Up programme, we need to start screaming at the BBC.
Though the BBC will keep funding it, because they put in less to fund the entire contest than they do for one episode of Dr Who (and Dr Who is a steaming turd on the face of television IMO) AND they get a whole night of entertainment AND high viewing figures for it.
I've always loved the contest and enjoyed the whole pop, camp thing that they have going for it WHEN it's not a song designed to win over a gay audience (ie: Iceland's entry this year).
Also, I think the last time we put in a decent act/song was 6 years ago, with Jessica Garlick. We came joint 3rd - not a bad result at all.

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: BoA - Hypnotic Dancefloor