JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hotei Tomoyasu - Thrill (Punky version)

Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL WBC THREAD!  (Read 23118 times)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Re: TDUCK sez Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »
Damn Team USA spanked in the WBC.  No prob, I got my Team Japan Ichiro shirt!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: THE OFFICIAL WBC THREAD!
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2009, 06:52:13 AM »
Japan-Cuba elimination game on ESPN2 now!  Will postwhore on Twitter...

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2009, 08:04:41 PM »
Nice work Sab, you twitt addict :P

AMAZING!! Ichiro slices and dices. G'bye Cuba.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2009, 02:38:28 AM »
Top first: Korea scores five runs on a walk, muffed fly, single and a three-run bomb to center. What a nightmare for Venezuela!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2009, 03:00:29 AM »
That was from the first! WOW. Looks pretty chilly in Dodger Stadium

Can't wait for US vs Japan. Jeter is a man on a mission

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2009, 03:04:59 AM »
Luis Sojo's decision to start Silva over King Felix is an easy second guess.

Kevin Kaduk from Yahoo said on his Twitter feed: it's LOUD at Dodger Stadium...

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2009, 03:12:55 AM »
All of Koreatown coming to play! Beats the crowd at Dolphin Stadium and Rogers Centre.

Abreu didn't look himself either! GO KOREA!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2009, 06:04:06 AM »
I followed the first half of Thursday's Japan-Korea game at CBS Sports.com.  I found the following description apt for this message board:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2009, 07:06:43 AM »
LMAO! Abe is so bad at sports.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:59 AM »
Ichiro comes through!

Back-to-back titles for Team JAPAN!  KAMPAI BABY!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:49:51 AM by Saburo »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
"Dae Han Min Kook" Enemy #1
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »

It's weird to say this as someone who was skeptical that Ichiro would become a S*T*A*R in the major leagues.  But I think last night's game just stamped Ichiro's ticket to Cooperstown, even though the last two weeks don't contribute dick to his MLB counting stats.

I don't know if Ichiro has a great track record in clutch situations but nothing creates a legend more than coming through in these high-profile, high-pressure games when you have a damn PLANET on your ass.

What a game, and what a SPORT!

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I didn't know much about baseball before, but with the World Baseball Classic and it's international competition among 16 nations, it caught my attention.  unfortunely I was late into watching the game as my I'd only started watching from the Japan-Cuba game, and not even the whole game, started watching the 2nd half. 

The World Baseball Classic got me interested in Baseball, and Japanese baseball have alot to do with it, too. after a couple of days into baseball, I watched "Kokoyakyu: High School Baseball" a documentary about Baseball in Japan and it struck me straight in the heart.   
needless to say, I'd began rooting for Team Japan from then on.  And then I found out how good the Team is with Ichiro, Daisuke, Darvish, and other players.  didn't know that both Ichiro and Daisuke was also popular on their current MLB team here in the US. 

Congratulations to Team Japan for winning the 2009 World Baseball Classic, twice in a row and proved to the world just how awesome Asian baseball is. 
They left quite a path of defeated foes.  Team USA, who invented pro baseball; Cuba, who known to be the best baseball team; and Korea, their biggest rival in international events and whom had beaten them in the past several times.   

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2009, 05:51:44 AM »
Not to sound un-American, but MLB isn't for me.  If they say they play for the game, they're lying, it's all about the Benjamins.  Selig was right, American pros and their clubs need to get the players to represent the country.  Korea FIGHTING!

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »
Sorry to ask this since it's been so long, but where can I watch the entire games online?  
mainly, The Japan matches in it's entirety.  Best if in English. :D

I'd been going over video clips on WBC.com and getting tired.  I want to watch the game in full. 

P.S. also, the 2006 WBC games would be awesome, too, If anyone knows where to watch those...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:31:59 AM by BigDnm01 »

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »
DOUBLE POST:  BEEN A WHILE AS YOU CAN SEE...

I wait for months and STILL,  no uploads of any of the WBC games online.  Sure there are clips, but I SO want to watch a full entire game AGAIN. 
DOES ANYONE HAVE ABSOLUTELY ANY IDEA WHERE I CAN WATCH RERUN OF ALL THE WBC GAMES, 2006 AND 2009?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2010, 01:15:50 AM »
No clue, although I'm sure they got some SWEET box sets for sale in Japan.

I was only able to record the ESPN coverage of last year's championship finale from the 5th or 6th inning.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
2009 WBC Final, revisited
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38:41 AM »
Interesting piece in the NY Times about last year's Japan-Korea championship game and the decision whether or not to give Ichiro a IBB in the top of the 10th.

First, I have got to find this TV special.

Second, Kim In-sik has got to be the dumbest manager in the history of baseball.  If you want the batter put on base, you call time out, flash four fingers to the catcher and that's that.  Throwing the battery under the bus was cowardly and classless.

That said, the pitching coach probably made the RIGHT decision to ignore the "signal" and pitch to Ichiro, foolish pride or otherwise.  The IBB is a POOR percentage play and Ichiro doesn't have magical "clutch" powers, nor does he have a ridiculous OBP.  Trying to get the third out of the inning was the correct call; it just didn't work out.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
The Redemption of Lim Chang-Yong
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2010, 03:37:54 AM »
Finally found the TV program referenced in the Times article above on YouTube (ain't technology grand!).  After a few viewings the conspiracy theorist in me says:

-- Manager Kim is still on CYA mode.  I believe HE made the decision to challenge Ichiro and he should have taken the fall if it failed.  You don't think he misunderstood the non-signals being relayed to the catcher?

-- Pitching Coach Yang made this "revelation" purely for this TV special, specifically to take Lim off the hook.

-- Lim has balls of steel to keep his emotions bottled up for the last 12 months.  Imagine: a hostile home nation sniping at your ass AND having to go back to WORK in the country that may still be on Cloud Nine, replaying the Ichiro AB ad infinitum.

P.S. I wonder if there will come a time in BOTH countries when the IBB is viewed as a poor percentage play.  I know that Michael Lewis's "Moneyball" was translated/published in Japan.  I wonder if there's a Korean term for "slash stats."

FWIW the program on You Tube (Japanese ver.):

Part one

Part two

Part three

Kinda hokey conclusion but I guess it served to get Lim a few more fans in Japan at least.  And maybe back home, as well.

JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hotei Tomoyasu - Thrill (Punky version)