JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfume - Computer City

Author Topic: The Rock Music Thread  (Read 28177 times)

Offline JDAckers

• Member+
Re: The Rock Music Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »
Sounds like a good gig! I might have to keep an eye out for a gig in the future. Although I did see Biffy at Reading and they are pretty good live as well. I think I will give their album a listen, i got it ages ago, just not given it a proper listen. :)

After reading the "non-review" of Seasick Steve's new album on NME, which, instead of reviewing the album - the reviewer just insulted Steve, I take even less notice of what they say - which was none!

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2008, 02:56:31 AM »
Thought this was the best place to post what I'm about to say. For me, the definitive rock album of this year, and perhaps slowly becoming one of my absolute favourites of all time, is 'Man vs Monster' by Fighting With Wire, a Foo Fighters-esque 3 piece band from Londonderry, N.Ireland. One review summed the album up nicely when it said it had huge guitar hooks capable to beach a sperm whale. The album has no filler in my eyes, with styles ranging from punk to the slightly more radio friendly tunes. I've included the video to 'Everyone Needs A Nemesis', perhaps their most iconic single from the album. If there's any justice, they're going to be huge.

checked it out as per your recommendation. gotta say it was pretty badass. I need to give it a few more listens before I can be convinced its as epic as touted, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. hope they make it big too

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Alex Chilton: 1950-2010
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2010, 03:04:51 AM »
RIP, Alex Chilton.

"Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round..."

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2011, 12:50:58 PM »
Hmm why was this thread locked...

Hey, there's more to Norway than just fish and black metal.

Wolves Like Us just dropped their debut album "Late Love". Digging this shit.

Offline mske

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • passive_user123
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
new posts on this forum can be followed using page http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?action=recent, which registered users can filter with Ignore Boards Options http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?action=profile;area=ignoreboards

Offline mske

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • passive_user123
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »
new posts on this forum can be followed using page http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?action=recent, which registered users can filter with Ignore Boards Options http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?action=profile;area=ignoreboards

Offline atarashii-michi

• Member+
  • Fangirling on a Whole New Level
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »

Offline atarashii-michi

• Member+
  • Fangirling on a Whole New Level
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 07:05:02 AM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2013, 08:05:56 AM »
Didn't want to make a new thread for this, and here seems as good a thread as any in which to put it.

The Truth About Van Halen And Those Brown M&Ms
by Jacob Ganz

It's one of those rock 'n' roll legends that turns out to be true: In the 1980s, the party-rock superstars in Van Halen demanded, via a clause embedded in their tour rider, that no brown-colored M&Ms be allowed backstage at their concerts.

The story's (and you can see an actual copy of the rider ), but the release of with David Lee Roth behind the microphone seems to have been enough reason to get Diamond Dave to go in front of a camera for an official history of the outrageous demand. Though as he explains it, the clause was less an example of "simple rock star misdemeanor excess" than an ingenious, curiously skewed (and ) safety measure. I won't spoil the band's reason — just watch. Even if it's familiar to you, it's definitely worth hearing again, if only to spend five-and-a-half minutes with Roth at his most impish and charming.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2012/02/14/146880432/the-truth-about-van-halen-and-those-brown-m-ms

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Raingerred

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »
If you like Deftones and Isis, check out Palms, its the singer from Deftones and some of the members of Isis. One of the better records of 2013.

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfume - Computer City