JPHiP Radio (11/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sloth Love Chunks - Nagareru Mono ~ Hanarebanareru Mono

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1004134 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #1580 on: October 12, 2011, 12:42:10 AM »
My guns in Resonance of Fate are now officially crazy. I have a handgun that has three barrells stacked below each other, a separate grip to hold onto the gun and two scopes, one of which has another scope attached at the top and in front of it :nervous

Offline Erusa

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1581 on: October 12, 2011, 04:02:23 AM »

Brock Lesnar makes his WWE video game return.

He looks small...compared to his days with the WWE.

Think it's all relative... He'll probably look a lot bigger standing next to someone else. The screen's too big for the trailer. =p

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #1583 on: October 12, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »

Brock Lesnar makes his WWE video game return.

He looks small...compared to his days with the WWE.

Think it's all relative... He'll probably look a lot bigger standing next to someone else. The screen's too big for the trailer. =p

I can't believe no-one's said roids because that's almost 100% the reason why XDD

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #1584 on: October 13, 2011, 05:29:51 AM »
To be fair, Brock since doing MMA has had to cut weight to make the heavyweight division (which is crazy to think about) plus he had two separate cases of diverticulitis which basically means he couldn't digest food well and thus lost a lot of weight. Granted, those cases were some time ago so he's alright now.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #1585 on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »

Probably one of the funniest things I've watched in awhile.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1586 on: October 14, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
Just finished Shadows of the Damned on my brand new LG LED 37" Flatscreen!!!!  :heart: :heart: :heart:
How could I ever live and play without one, it's so amazing  :cry:
Now I can start playing all the JRPG's on my Xbox in earnest, because now I can finally read the fucking text in them without squinting my eyes to death!  :w00t:

Star Ocean 4 here I come!!!!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1587 on: October 14, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
It's go time people. This is the last week before the shit hits the fan and big titles start coming out every week with the already brilliantly reviewed Arkham City out next Fri which sounds awesome. I don't think I can deal with it you know. I'm for sure getting Skyrim on release day, you'll have to actually send a dragon out to stop me from doing that and I.....may just get every other game. :nervous I was this close to buying Dark Souls today too. I may end up buying Arkham City next week. It's ridiculous.

EA gets a lot of shit lately (some of it deserved) but Activision are doing their best to get all that hate back. They're releasing the Goldeneye remake for the 360/PS3 (on the same day as Uncharted? Really? :lol:) and announced that the infamous paintball mode a retail exclusive pre-order bonus. Bare in mind, this is a mode already seen in the N64 version and perhaps more shockingly, was unlocked by default on the Wii version last year. Ugh.  You're charging for, of all things, a visual cheat code that came on a disc not so long ago and you can't get it unless you get it from this specific retailer and are already 100% committed to buying it as a pre-order. Shocking.

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #1588 on: October 14, 2011, 11:58:13 PM »
on the speed channel they're showing GT academy - i guess they chose 16 of the guys with the top times on gran turismo 5 and brought them to a race track to see how good they are in real life - the winner gets to race for nissan  :O

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1589 on: October 15, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
EA gets a lot of shit lately (some of it deserved) but Activision are doing their best to get all that hate back. They're releasing the Goldeneye remake for the 360/PS3 (on the same day as Uncharted? Really? :lol:) and announced that the infamous paintball mode a retail exclusive pre-order bonus. Bare in mind, this is a mode already seen in the N64 version and perhaps more shockingly, was unlocked by default on the Wii version last year. Ugh.  You're charging for, of all things, a visual cheat code that came on a disc not so long ago and you can't get it unless you get it from this specific retailer and are already 100% committed to buying it as a pre-order. Shocking.

Reminds me of that Catwoman Pass for Batman Arkham City. For now the online passes only were a method to get money from players who buy their games used, now Batsy has no online mode so what do they do? Take out a playable character and let those damned used copy buyers pay for that!

Batsy is a first day buy for me, so it doesn't concern me, but it's just another step to doom for the gaming industry.

If this trend continues in three years we'll have to pay extra to unlock half the levels or characters in a full price game we've already paid for.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1590 on: October 15, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »
I'd say that it'll no longer be a pass for just multiplayer but a pass if you want to play the game itself in any form. And there will be online DRM so you always have to be connected to the internet to play it. You can kinda see why publishers do it, not enough people don't vote with their wallets when it comes to pre-order stuff so publishers assume it's ok, but they fail to realise that not every gamer has an internet connection in this day and age. Crazy I know.

At this point it's ok cause pre-order bonuses usually amounts to inconsequential stuff like character skins or overpowered weapons that I'd never use if it was unlocked from the opening so it's ok for me to miss out on that stuff. I prefer to show my fandom to something if a pre order was something like an artbook or soundtrack. But what Activision has done here with the paintball mode, is now just the lowest point for this kind of thing.

This guy gets a little too involved with the game he's playing :lol:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 01:49:48 PM by Tuffty »

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #1591 on: October 15, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
Ah, the good old days. When they gave the soundtrack CD with the game, like Killer Instinct (i thought things like that and hidden tracks in cds were pretty cool then). And game cds you stuck into the cd player and it had some tracks too. :thumbup Or secret areas you had to find accidentally, like nintendo games.
Not pre-orders, limited editions and DLC for stuff that should be in the game.

Clip proves gun-games are for training our kids to have super-memory skills. Explains why I suck at 'em. :cry:
Door kick~ :bow:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1592 on: October 15, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #1593 on: October 15, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
I agree that locking away core content from people who buy used games is shady and not a smart way to deal with used copies but for me if and when I do get Arkham City, I will buy it new because I like knowing my money is going to them, even if it's a fraction of it.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #1594 on: October 16, 2011, 12:19:11 AM »
FTFY

Seriously, does anyone really remember how gaming actually was back in the day? You say companies used to make games with the entire content in there already? Of course they did...you know why? BECAUSE THERE WASN'T MUCH CONTENT TO BEGIN WITH COMPARED TO WHAT WE HAVE NOW. Y'all need to get off my lawn; I've been playing video games since before most of today's gamers were born.

I still vividly remember playing sports games that had no franchise or career modes, no ability to trade players (or the function was way too simplistic), no ability to create your own players, and no throwback jerseys. Wanna update your rosters for the new season? Gotta pay full price for next year's edition, because there aren't enough create-a-player spots to throw in every rookie that just got drafted, and you can't edit existing players' attributes either! Michael Jordan? Who's that? We got ROSTER PLAYER SG instead! Today we have motherfucking NBA 2K12, containing all of those options, including the official Jordan.

I remember going through countless racing games that only let you pick from a few generic no-name cars and race on bland, repetitive tracks that were barely distinguishable from one another. Today? Need for Speed: Shift 2 lets you pick from dozens of real cars and race on realistic tracks! Don't like the look of your stock car? Don't just change the paint job, THROW SOME D'S ON THAT BITCH. And that's all available with a normal purchase, no DLC or anything. Oh yeah, and this game was published by big bad EA.

Find achievements annoying? We didn't have objectives that challenged us to play the game in different ways back then...we just had the high score. We played for A FUCKING NUMBER, and there were very few ways to get to that number. Today, not only will a game suggest trying to complete a mission without firing a bullet, it will let me show off a badge as proof that I did it.

Did someone say Killer Instinct? A fighting game that let you pick from only 10 characters and limited your opponents to whoever was in the room with you? And how much did that cartridge cost again? Meanwhile, Super Street Fighter IV is available on Steam for $40 and comes with 35 characters and the ability to play online without having to pay extra.

Super Mario 64 was fun, right? Running around with 360 degrees of freedom, exploring different worlds and such. I enjoyed that too...that's why I couldn't help but feel blown away when I picked up Just Cause 2 this year, packed with so much detail and gameplay abilities in a ridiculously huge world, things that were simply not possible in the '90s. Even if I paid full price for JC2 it probably still would have cost me less than what I spent for Super Mario 64, yet it offered so much more. I wasn't forced to buy the DLC for it either but did anyway because it was all on sale, and it turns out the game is just as fun without those extras (maybe even more so, since I can't just pick up ammo for the extra guns like I do for the normal ones).

What about first person shooters, today's most popular genre? Without the modding community, Doom was originally just a very basic game with few weapons and everyone essentially playing the same character in multiplayer. Today? Team Fortress 2 with it's 9 distinct player classes, many game modes, maps, and weapons, and it's all available for free...and if you really want a premium account, simply buy one item from the store for as little as 49 cents.

Seriously, what the hell are we raging about now? A FUCKING PAINTBALL MODE??? A completely cosmetic option that does nothing except change the color of blood and bullet marks? You mean to tell me that HD graphics, new missions and a new engine aren't enough to make up for losing the forgettable ability to throw fucking colored dots on the wall??? That MIGHT have added value to a game after playing for hours on the same tiny maps against the same three people on a blurry 13" CRT with splitscreen, but it certainly wasn't a selling point for the original game and shouldn't be treated like one now. :smhid

Look, I know some of these sales tactics today seem kinda shady and are rightly deserving of scrutiny and criticism, but can we at least have a realistic look at how things actually are instead of coming off as whining for the sake of whining? Just because some publishers are doing these things to some games doesn't mean it's happening to every game or that it's a guarantee that it will. All these slippery slope arguments and "OMG EVERYTHING'S GOING TO SHIT NOW" circlejerking being thrown around do nothing more than overshadow the legitimate gripes and cause them to lose credibility; it's the same immature bullshit pollluting movie and music discussions.

And remember, you don't have to buy and play every single game that comes out, so stop talking as if you're being forced to. The entire video game market doesn't revolve around a few franchises or companies...ironically it probably did back in "the good old days" but this hasn't been the case for years.

I just had to finally get all this off my chest. I'm not here to excuse bad behavior within the industry (like I said, some shit deserves to be called out), but the silly exaggerations go too far sometimes and I just wanna balance the discussion before it goes full retard. Video games are meant for enjoyment and entertainment, and there are more things to enjoy than ever, so let's enjoy them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:38:50 AM by J-Triumf »
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1595 on: October 16, 2011, 01:24:49 AM »
I could sense that was gonna come soon :lol:

I understand where you're coming from J. Really I do and I actually agree, we gamers have never had it so good. Three different game consoles to play on, each with fantastic examples of quality games that weren't possible even a few years ago. The industry itself has gotten bigger and better. I do like achievements as they can challenge me and promote new ways of playing the game that I wouldn't have otherwise. Localisations of obscure Japanese games or great JRPG's are now possible and released overseas whereas it wouldn't have done previously. Living now with the game industry the way it is is great, I don't think many people here would disagree.

Nor are we all hung up over something trivial as a paintball mode. I think it's the principle that matters. In the original Goldeneye, paintball was something you unlocked by clearing a level under a time limit on a hard difficulty setting. Like you said, it was just fun trying to get it in itself without any concept of achivement progression tied to it. And it is a popular thing that came out of that game, otherwise they wouldn't see fit to include it here and tug on those nostalgia strings for people. But this is totally the wrong thing to try and hide behind some retail exclusive DLC. At least give people a choice in the matter. If they want to unlock it from the get go by paying a little more upfront then go for it, but you should at least have it on the disc ready to unlock if people want to put themselves up to the challenge. As it stands, that's not the case. It's a shitty business practice by Activision, IMO they need to be called out on it now so this doesn't happen for any other game in the foreseeable future. Character skins and weapons are meh whatever. It's a shitty thing to do, but it doesn't necessarily bother me. But when you lock game modes away? Actual content that I can't get unless I'm 100% committed to buying the game before release? That's where the line starts to get crossed.

You could argue that this whole Catwoman thing in Arkham City is even worse. If estimations are to be believed, then Catwoman's 'campaign' (for lack of a better word) makes up about 10% of the game. This isn't extra outfits or overpowered weapon stuff, this is actual content. Content which also has an effect on the main game itself, so you'd be depriving people the enjoyment of trying to get 100%. All this day one content unlocking also ensures people that still can't get broadband in rural areas are effectively locked out of playing said content on the disc, as they lack Xbox Live/PSN to input the code to enable it. Doesn't that strike you as a bit wrong?

To me, it just gives the impression that publishers aren't really concerned about providing a complete experience to their customers lest they jump through a set of hoops to obtain each piecemeal portion of a game they arbitrarily decided they could section off.

And I don't think anyone here is getting crazy in their predictions. There are PC games already that can only be played through online DRM. Console games effectively ask you to put in a code for content already like a registration key, why wouldn't publishers go down that route for console games if it can cut down on piracy and promote users to buy games new?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:30:45 AM by Tuffty »

Offline J-Triumf

• Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #1596 on: October 16, 2011, 03:43:45 AM »
I think you may have missed the part where I mention the improved graphics and new missions that are coming with the new version of Goldeneye, because I think those are even more pratical elements that add a lot more to the game than paintball mode. It's like saying the PS2 and Xbox versions of NBA Street v3 were inferior to the Gamecube version for not including an answer to Mario and Luigi, ignoring how the Gamecube version lacks an online mode which would've added a lot more gameplay value than the presence of a few proprietary characters. If anything, gamers are actually getting more stuff now with this re-release.

The new game isn't even a faithful recreation of the original game or the movie anyway, so why make such a huge deal about such a minor thing? And could you even call it a game mode when all it ever did was change a few textures? People weren't buying the original Goldeneye only to play paintball, they were buying it to play James Bond!

When you cite something that minor as "the lowest point for this kind of thing" despite Activision having pulled worse stunts; or when someone else declares the industry to be "doomed" over a few instances that still aren't happening everywhere; when people, not just here but all over the gaming community, act like all games aren't being shipped complete when we're in an era where games have more features than could ever have been possible in previous eras even when not "complete", it stops coming off as honest criticism and starts becoming bitching for the sake of bitching just because something isn't perfectly perfect. Legitimate concerns are hard to take seriously when everyone is crying wolf, and I feel like there's a lot of things we can actually agree on for this subject, but only if everyone could just stop panicking at the slightest misstep and pay attention to history.

Like I can probably agree with you regarding online DRM due to it affecting the used console games market and the fact that it's pointless with single player games on any platform. But you still have to remember that today's PC's and consoles are made with the expectation that they will be permanently connected online, and online multiplayer has been a key feature in many new games for a while now.
ねぇ、笑って?

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1597 on: October 16, 2011, 05:53:59 AM »
5 hours? Seriously?

Master of Orion II had 5 hours of gameplay? Civilization 2? Doom? Populous? SimCity 2000? Super Mario Bros. 3 only took you 5 hours? Final Fantasy IV?

Obviously all those games had far less gameplay than Force Unleashed 2 and Heavenly Sword or Battlefield Bad Company 2's campaign.

Games had far more gameplay back then, not less. I think you're exaggerating a bit in the opposite way to make your point.

(All that said, Just Cause 2 is still a frigging fantastic game that I've got more than 70 hours into.)

Offline J-Triumf

• Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #1598 on: October 16, 2011, 06:35:36 AM »
I think you're exaggerating a bit in the opposite way to make your point.

Yeah, I responded to other people's ridiculous exaggerations with my own. :P But to be fair I did say 95%, not 100%...just because some games like Civilization provided for good marathon sessions doesn't mean all the games did. And your argument doesn't hold weight when you look at modern equivalents to older titles: How much can you do in the original Street Fighter 2 for Super Nintendo compared to SSFIV? What about SimCity 4's depth compared to SC2000? And as I pointed out in my earlier post, what about NBA 2K12 versus any NBA licensed game in the '90s? Shift 2 versus the original Need for Speed (which I admit did have licensed cars but only a few)? The free-roam mission-based design of Super Mario 64 versus the same general mechanic in Just Cause 2?

Yes, some games from back then had far more gameplay...but most had a lot less.
ねぇ、笑って?

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1599 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:42 PM »
When I said "the industry is doomed" I was exaggerating myself, didn't think anyone would take that so seriously.

I started playing videogames in the early 80's so I've seen my fare share of games and I'm not saying everything was better in the past, but at least you got a complete game and didn't have to pay extra for content (that is already there) to unlock it.
Times have changed, the industry has grown and changed, the consumers nowadays are already well-conditioned to pay extra for everything and I'm just an old fart complaining, instead of making my choice with my money vote  :lol:

We'll see what the future brings for gaming, whatever it is, I'll be there to check it out (and whine my ass off if I feel the need to  :P)

JPHiP Radio (11/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sloth Love Chunks - Nagareru Mono ~ Hanarebanareru Mono