JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: YUI - Laugh away

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1004114 times)

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #1600 on: October 17, 2011, 04:03:11 AM »
^ I think what that really comes down to is a sense of traditional expectations and psychological completeness, as the home video game purchasing process has for most of its history been about paying once and getting everything that was advertised, even if the overall price was higher (people seem to forget about the effects of inflation) and what was advertised wasn't much. I suppose it's similar to how in sports falling short in a championship match is treated as far worse than not making it to the final round (or even the playoffs) at all, even if merely showing up to the final round already means having done better than all but one other team.

Personally, I think if it's really about getting what you pay for that a game like Tetris shouldn't have had the same price as Super Mario Bros. 3, or that Mirror's Edge should've cost a lot less than, say, Saints Row 2. That's something I like about the modern "casual" market, how I can buy simple downloadable games for only a few dollars instead of said games being priced as equal to a major big-name release (especially through a service like Steam that lets me purchase and install quickly without having to leave the house and use gas to drive). That, along with things like 2K Sports pricing their fully-featured releases significantly lower than sports games of the past, or Valve releasing Team Fortress 2 for free and making money off non-vital addons, are big factors in me believing we're actually getting more for less in today's market rather than the opposite stance everyone else has felt the need to take.

I've worked in the industry before (3 years for Sony, no less) and have witnessed firsthand the realities of pushing for deadlines and features getting dropped along the way, so I know what it's really like to have a game not feel complete. If you think DLC is bad, imagine features not making it into the final release (or future patches) at all! :P

Sorry if I came on as too harsh in these recent posts; some things just needed to be said and I've been holding back on a lot of opinions this year. :nervous
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #1601 on: October 17, 2011, 06:35:50 AM »
Your replies have been a really enjoyable read actually! Lots of enlightening info. :bow:

Gamers nowadays are used to this. And there's a lot of cool bonuses we take for granted.
In some cases the production model might've made games get to our hands months faster than it would have to put the add-ons to the main game (think Fallout 3, or Mass Effect 2. And note those games were pretty huge even without the add-ons).
And games like CoD where gamers naturally expect map-packs down the line. For the other players, they can just disregard it and still have fun with the MP maps in the main game.

It's the ugly cases where they cut off main content and put it up as early DLC where I think it crosses the line. It may earn them the extra dollar that could be the difference between their company staying afloat or crashing and burning. And luckily, it's still rare now. But as a gamer, I'd still rather have the higher game price tag in these cases.

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #1602 on: October 18, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »
I'M happy about that I have the chance to play IDOLM@STER2 in full HD! :peace:

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1603 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
Devil May Cry HD collection confirmed. DMC 1-3. Upscaled. Achievements. Bonus content. 360 & PS3. Early 2012. Fuck yes.  :w00t:

Offline Fushigidane

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1604 on: October 19, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »
I finally finished Dink Smallwood!

We used to play the game for dozens of hours as kids with a friend. Now we finished it in 8 hours :thumbsup If the ending was better it'd been a lovely memory

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #1605 on: October 19, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
I'm watching a walkthrough of Batman Arkham City and all I can say is that it looks amazing, wish I could play it though. :c

I always end up liking games that I can't play, it'll probably be 10 years until I can ugh...

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1606 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:44 AM »
Interesting report here that says in the past year, 49% of gamers hadn't bought DLC

49 per cent of HD console owners have not purchased DLC content in the past 12 months, so says a new report from entertainment research outfit EEDAR.

According to its data, gathered from "a variety of sources", that compares to 60 per cent in 2010 and 66 per cent in 2009.

Its additional survey, which polled 3500 participants, suggests the following reasons that gamers choose not to buy game add-ons:

Privacy: 47 per cent
    No return policy: 38 per cent
    Too expensive: 32 per cent
    Enough free DLC: 24 per cent
    No demo: 24 per cent
    No reviews: 21 per cent
    None for interested games: 20 per cent
    Not adequate description: 20 per cent
    Not enough gameplay: 18 per cent
    Only online multiplayer available: 18 per cent
    Only single player available: 15 per cent
    Process takes too long: 15 per cent
    Complicated storefront: 15 per cent
    Not released when wanted: 12 per cent
    Not high enough quality: 11 per cent

EEDAR reckons that DLC will generate over $875 million in North America in 2011, a figure that should top $1 billion in 2012.

For me personally, DLC has to do a lot to try and win me over. I don't really care enough for costumes or weapons to buy related DLC like that. Map packs for multiplayer shooters or whatever are usually overpriced for all that they contain (looking at you Call of Duty). Sometimes I see reviews for them and they score it lowly and thus not worth the money (ACII & Brotherhood DLC packs). Most of the time, DLC just doesn't exist for games I would love to play more of (Bayonetta, Vanquish, VF5)

Really, the best cases of DLC this generation has to be The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony for GTAIV. Lengthy single player campaigns (which I found even better than Niko's story) that expanded on the gameplay and added a number of multiplayer modes too. Can't be beat. Fallout 3 supposedly has some really good ones, and they have a lot of them too, I like to see that.

What about you guys? What do you think of DLC? What's the best examples you can think of?

Offline EternalSkies

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • TakaUno <3
« Reply #1607 on: October 20, 2011, 03:26:57 AM »
For me DLC has to expand the playability side of things. Additional weapons or costumes do nothing to extend gameplay. If those costumes or weapons we at the end of a couple of hour dungeon or added a new exploration area to play in then I'd consider it. Otherwise it gets ignored by me.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #1608 on: October 20, 2011, 03:47:04 AM »
I would consider the GTA4 ones more expansions than DLC. Same with Oblivion and shivering isles.

I haven't really bought much DLC. I got the Broken Steel+ Point Lookout pack on disk and downloaded the Gears 2 Road to Ruin stuff when it was free. Can't really think of anything else that has interested me.

Oh and I did buy all the super star dust DLC. :lol: It was bullcrap you had to buy co-op as DLC but that game is just way too good. I was weak. >_>
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:53:21 AM by zoolander »

Offline Fushigidane

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1609 on: October 21, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »
Today I've been concidering buying a ps3. :wth
Anyway, unexpected updates in Dofus again XD

Offline A1

• The Original Caramel Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1610 on: October 21, 2011, 08:50:25 PM »
First person who pm me gets a code for the gotham imposters beta for the pc.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1611 on: October 21, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
^ Actually that's a great idea. The only thing I have is a laptop and it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card so I'd say the beta key would be useless to me. If anyone needs it feel free to send me a PM and the first person to do so will get mine.

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #1612 on: October 22, 2011, 01:23:33 PM »
Bought Ico at Comic Con last Thursday. Just a few minutes ago I've finished the game.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME WHO THOSE SHADOWS ACTUALLY WERE?!!!  :angry:

Guess I'll have to start looking for a copy of Shadow of the Colossus.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #1613 on: October 22, 2011, 07:54:13 PM »
November is almost here.

Video games, come to me now!
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #1614 on: October 22, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
Man I need to save my money with Skyrim coming up but Arkham City looks so good! >_<

Bought Ico at Comic Con last Thursday. Just a few minutes ago I've finished the game.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME WHO THOSE SHADOWS ACTUALLY WERE?!!!  :angry:

Guess I'll have to start looking for a copy of Shadow of the Colossus.

Don't spoil Shadow of the Colossus' ending for yourself before playing it (if you haven't already). The possible relations to ICO's world are really interesting.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1615 on: October 22, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
^ I agree. Personally I found SOTC a better game, more memorable and more emotional than ICO was. Hart, you're in for a treat.

Really sweating over the next few weeks. Getting Skyrim no matter what but fuck I'm tempted by Battlefield 3. And MW3. Hell I saw a TV trailer today for Uncharted 3 and I want to buy it. And I don't even have a PS3! :nervous Gonna be hard to just save up til 11/11/11 and not buy Battlefield at least. I may not make it XD

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #1616 on: October 22, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
I'm holding off on Skyrim till I get a new computer. Saints Row 3, Uncharted 3 and my existing games will last me until Christmas anyway, and I won't have access to my PS3 for 3 weeks.

Offline bonjourhello

• GOODDAYHELLO
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1617 on: October 23, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
I've decided the only way to get through games like Silent hill is to run and scream at the screen. It works.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #1618 on: October 23, 2011, 11:05:39 PM »
I'll pre-order MW3 Hardened Ed. this weekend, maybe. 

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #1619 on: October 24, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
i'm thinking about wearing my camo pants and stuff to the bf3 midnight release  XD

EDIT: i wore them lol and so did some little kid...i was honestly shocked that the turn out was pathetic compared to gears 3, i honestly was expecting it to be even more people than gears, but it was easily less than half...at least i was number 5 in line  :twothumbs and they were letting people demo the campaign on the ps3 kiosk thing which was cool

game is pretty sick...played a bit online as well as campaign and i am happy with it...looks awesome after you install it on your hd (it's 2 discs - one for multi and one for campaign  :O )

i just gotta remember that knife kills are the right top button on xbox lol
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:42:08 PM by john_hung »

JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: YUI - Laugh away