JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: EXO - Growl

Author Topic: The Idoling!!! Discussion Thread  (Read 759789 times)

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
Re: The Idoling!!! Discussion Thread
« Reply #1720 on: December 05, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »
Still not a fan of Ton-chan  XD I bet you're looking forward to the reunion since you are a first gen fan

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #1721 on: December 06, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »
Got two random questions. 

Why do Japanese fans seem to be so crazy about Ton-chan? She seems to have a pretty huge fanbase among Japanese Idoling!!! fans, from everything I've observed.  I don't dislike her at all, though she's not really a favorite, she's more of a middle-tier member for me in some ways, maybe like the highest member in the mid-tier. Any ideas? Is there something I'm missing about her or is it just one of those things where she has some major trait that's way more popular with Japanese folks?

Also, does anyone know if the theme song for the newest season of the TV show is actually a part of a real song or is it just made up for the show? I love the way it sounds, but I think it may just be a little "jingle" that was made up for the show. I'm talking about the whole "pa-ya-pa-ya" one.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:04:10 AM by AEUGNewtype »

Offline Hatix

• Idolinger!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #1722 on: December 06, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »
About the pa-pa-pa-paya-paya, the story goes that Mori-D said that it's an original production. But that it apparently contains samples/parts from a song called Lollipop by Marino () but I can't really hear what was actually sampled  XD
What I do know, is that the paya-paya song is almost a full song. Although we mostly hear only the beginning of the song, there was one occasion that it was played in full in the background. I don't remember what episode or where that was. It could've been on one of the youtube videos or a gekkan dvd, I'm not sure.

Previous intro songs were:
Tipsy&Tipsy - Bang! Ready To Go
capsule - 宇宙エレベーター (uchuu elevator)

Someone made a compilation of these 3 songs on youtube :)

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #1723 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:31 AM »

Why do Japanese fans seem to be so crazy about Ton-chan? She seems to have a pretty huge fanbase among Japanese Idoling!!! fans, from everything I've observed.  I don't dislike her at all, though she's not really a favorite, she's more of a middle-tier member for me in some ways, maybe like the highest member in the mid-tier. Any ideas? Is there something I'm missing about her or is it just one of those things where she has some major trait that's way more popular with Japanese folks?

I feel the same way, maybe she is considered as unorthodox beauty in Japan that's why they like her a lot? Or what you're saying that she has a certain trait Japanese fans like.  :huhuh

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #1724 on: December 07, 2012, 04:31:20 AM »
I feel the same way, maybe she is considered as unorthodox beauty in Japan that's why they like her a lot? Or what you're saying that she has a certain trait Japanese fans like.  :huhuh
Maybe either. Her most defining traits to me are she does have really nice legs/body , her voice is pretty good (but nowhere near as good as Mai) but she does have what my friends and I like to call "moon eyes" (no racism, lol) so when she smiles, her eyes usually get really small and literally shaped like moons, almost like an anime character, maybe that's really popular with Japanese fans, though I don't find it particularly appealing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:38:30 AM by AEUGNewtype »

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #1725 on: December 07, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »
Maybe either. Her most defining traits to me are she does have really nice legs/body , her voice is pretty good (but nowhere near as good as Mai) but she does have what my friends and I like to call "moon eyes" (no racism, lol) so when she smiles, her eyes usually get really small and literally shaped like moons, almost like an anime character, maybe that's really popular with Japanese fans, though I don't find it particularly appealing.

Maybe that's the case too :) We're not Japanese so we're not fans of her  XD
After watching 40 episodes of Idoling!!! I realize where Japanese artists get their ideas of anime from. Women in Japan literally are anime characters in real life, personality and looks.  :lol:

Offline kei_86

• Umeko's kappa~!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1726 on: December 07, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »
I kind of have my own guess on it, during the 1st gen era, there were only 2 real "normal" idol in the group #6 and #9. They were easier to be liked since the other 7 were just too bizzare for an idol and plus the show hasn't really establish its identity yet. That could've been the starting point to Ton-chan's fan in Japan from the beginning and as she grew older the attention that she gets from her roles in various songs and acting would contribute a lot too I guess.

If we look at one of the older episode from the 2nd gen era, shuffle 2-shot with the staff : Rurika asked Mori D which members of the group that he thinks is going to sell the most and he quickly answered #6 #9 because they are consistent both backstage and on-stage.

In my opinion, she's pretty accessible in a way to new fans. She doesn't go to the very extreme like #12 #16 #20, #24 but she's as good in singing as #3 nor bad in singing either. Kind of helps to attract people to her I think.

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #1727 on: December 07, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »
I kind of have my own guess on it, during the 1st gen era, there were only 2 real "normal" idol in the group #6 and #9. They were easier to be liked since the other 7 were just too bizzare for an idol and plus the show hasn't really establish its identity yet. That could've been the starting point to Ton-chan's fan in Japan from the beginning and as she grew older the attention that she gets from her roles in various songs and acting would contribute a lot too I guess.

If we look at one of the older episode from the 2nd gen era, shuffle 2-shot with the staff : Rurika asked Mori D which members of the group that he thinks is going to sell the most and he quickly answered #6 #9 because they are consistent both backstage and on-stage.

In my opinion, she's pretty accessible in a way to new fans. She doesn't go to the very extreme like #12 #16 #20, #24 but she's as good in singing as #3 nor bad in singing either. Kind of helps to attract people to her I think.

That would be the case I guess, I haven't watched a lot of first gen episodes  :) I haven't seen that episode too, Mori D is right since I became a fan because of Rurika though.  :lol: But Umeko Amimi and Ai chan really makes the show interesting, I can't see the group without them though..

Offline SuzukiRyo

• Not
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • tktktakeru
    • Suzuki.Ryo
    • tktktakeru
« Reply #1728 on: December 07, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
Same case with me maybe.
6 & 9 were attractive for newbie me back then, until I saw Hii-chan yelling at Asahi & Yurippe in Natsu Yasuming 2009.
Damn that punched my heart.  :lol:

Offline Jenus

• Member+
« Reply #1729 on: December 07, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »

I see that you have answered your own question below by saying she has the looks and can sing, let me add a little more on that. I would describe Tonchan as "the girl next-door" type where she is seen as a normal person who still has traditional traits of an ordinary girl instead of having a very eccentric character. While she's still an idol, she also exhibits being an introvert, thereby retaining the feminine quality that most Idoling members simply don't have. Even Rurika doesn't really have that feminine quality by comparison to Tonchan, and that factor probably counts a lot towards those who prefer that in an idol, and there are many in Japan who like their idols to be normal rather than different, as it helps in fantasizing during hand-shake events and imagining that Tonchan is their girlfriend.

Another factor is that Tonchan is very well-known for being "majime" as well as being book-smart, which are extra-bonus points and almost a royalty status in terms of idol industry. Female idols in general are far above average in looks, but not necessarily ideal in terms of being an ideal bride candidate from their other short-comings, however Tonchan has the best of both worlds as her "majime" and intelligence projects very well as a dedicated wife and a caring mother down the road. Being "majime" also gives the jealous fans a peace of mind that she isn't going out and having a wild night with her college buddies. In short, she still has that pure quality that most women in her age don't, in that sense, she's a classic "hakoiri-musume" (A girl being raised without any outside influence, and remaining as pure as possible before getting married.), add to the fact that she's also an idol makes her irresistible to the opposite gender, it's like a woman who has a serious job like a lawyer, but drop-dead gorgeous like a supermodel, you know what I mean?

There's another layer to Tonchan's attractiveness, after what I've said about Tonchan it would be easy to assume that she's very girly, but the thing is she's also athletic. When you watch the Olympics you come across very good-looking female athletes once in a while, imagine that they are also highly intelligent, have a good head above their shoulders, and a pop star, that's what Tonchan essentially is. Basically Tonchan has a lot of ギャップ qualities about her that makes her very appealing, I mean she is rather petite in figure and you wouldn't think she has big breasts at first glance, but she has fabulous melons to be reckoned with, unexpected "gaps" like that really raise an idol to the next tier.

So after what I've said about Tonchan I should be the biggest Tonchan fan but I'm not, because while Tonchan is not ugly by any stretch of imagination, her looks is not what I find the most appealing, there are quite a few other female celebrities I would pick before I would name Tonchan in terms of looks to be honest, but that's just my personal taste speaking and not a diss at Tonchan. Secondly, her personality is too girly for my liking, I prefer an ideal woman of my desire to be a little bit more outgoing and have some sense of humor. If I was with Tonchan I would worry all the time about pleasing her and trying not to upset her on something, that gets tiresome.

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #1730 on: December 07, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »

Those are some really good ideas, I think they may all be true as well.  First gen was a bit of a weird combination.  I feel like the group really started to take shape and head in a much better direction once 2nd gen joined and 3rd gen is when they hit their peak which I feel like they are still on the same level of quality today.

Ruri and Erica do seem like the ones who are consistent backstage and on-stage.

I really like a lot of the "extreme" members and that's one of the biggest parts of why I love Idoling!!! so much, is how much many of the members break the typical mold of idols and really have unique qualities or are very un-idol.

I see that you have answered your own question below by saying she has the looks and can sing, let me add a little more on that. I would describe Tonchan as "the girl next-door" type where she is seen as a normal person who still has traditional traits of an ordinary girl instead of having a very eccentric character. While she's still an idol, she also exhibits being an introvert, thereby retaining the feminine quality that most Idoling members simply don't have. Even Rurika doesn't really have that feminine quality by comparison to Tonchan, and that factor probably counts a lot towards those who prefer that in an idol, and there are many in Japan who like their idols to be normal rather than different, as it helps in fantasizing during hand-shake events and imagining that Tonchan is their girlfriend.
I can definitely see this and I think it is a HUGE factor for Japanese fans, similar to how Maeda Atsuko had the "girl next door" feel to her and she is arguably the most popular idol in history. I guess I'm just very different in my interests than most Japanese fans.  I'm not into idols for the "girlfriend simulator" effect, I really just love the music and interesting/entertaining personalities that are put forth, which is probably why I like the more extreme idols who don't fit the typical mold.

Another factor is that Tonchan is very well-known for being "majime" as well as being book-smart, which are extra-bonus points and almost a royalty status in terms of idol industry. Female idols in general are far above average in looks, but not necessarily ideal in terms of being an ideal bride candidate from their other short-comings, however Tonchan has the best of both worlds as her "majime" and intelligence projects very well as a dedicated wife and a caring mother down the road. Being "majime" also gives the jealous fans a peace of mind that she isn't going out and having a wild night with her college buddies. In short, she still has that pure quality that most women in her age don't, in that sense, she's a classic "hakoiri-musume" (A girl being raised without any outside influence, and remaining as pure as possible before getting married.), add to the fact that she's also an idol makes her irresistible to the opposite gender, it's like a woman who has a serious job like a lawyer, but drop-dead gorgeous like a supermodel, you know what I mean?
I see this in her as well, she is usually really reserved and quiet on the show from what I've noticed, and I see on a lot of the backstage stuff, she's often hanging out and rooming with the younger girls in the group and acting WAY younger than her age.  She hangs out with these girls and does stuff that 13-14 year old girls do and she's like 22(?) now? It is kinda cute, but also awkward, but I could see Japanese fans loving that.

Also, one more question

Does anyone have or know where to find a pretty high resolution image of any of the Idoling logos? I don't really care if its the circular pink one, TV show one with flowers, the one from most of the CD covers with blocky type face, etc.  There just seems to be a pretty small amount of this stuff available and I'm trying to work on a project where I need a clean image of a logo.  Please let me know!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:25:04 PM by AEUGNewtype »

Offline b8067hc

• Member+
« Reply #1731 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
^^ from the points of discussion here, i can say that Nice-quiet-mysterious girl type are liked by most of Japanese Fans, although their looks is average (not the prettiest). For my personal type (as a girlfriend), i prefer girl like that, but in terms of idol i prefer outgoing type.

PS : Maipuru sometimes act calmly, but rather awkward i think  :D :D beside that she looks like an half-japanese (which not too favorite in japanese fans, but attract mostly foreign fans like us). Rurika also have clumsy side, 180 degree with Ton-chan.

3-6-9 は 永遠...

Offline kei_86

• Umeko's kappa~!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1732 on: December 08, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
TGS / Idoling!!! Logo v1 / Compilation v2 by @andykamezou from twitter.

Would this be enough for you? I had andykamezou to trace the logo for me because I wanted to do a car sticker  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:39:57 AM by kei_86 »

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #1733 on: December 09, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks much. I'm planning a couple projects right now, making some custom shirts and hoodies for starters, and this is exactly what I wanted. A car sticker sounds like a pretty awesome idea too.  Did you actually make the stickers or never get around to it?

Offline kei_86

• Umeko's kappa~!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1734 on: December 09, 2012, 11:48:56 PM »
I already sent the design to the shop and now only waiting for the product to be finished. I'll snap some pics when its done  :pimp:

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #1735 on: December 10, 2012, 12:54:27 AM »
Did you get multiples or just one for yourself? I'm gonna look to see if any local places around me can do it for relatively cheap.

Offline kei_86

• Umeko's kappa~!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1736 on: December 10, 2012, 02:29:52 AM »
there aren't that many idoling fan around here so I just ordered for a single copy. Been trying to promote Idoling among my J-idol community but it is just very hard to get through =_= otherwise i'll be getting multiple copies.

Offline SuzukiRyo

• Not
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • tktktakeru
    • Suzuki.Ryo
    • tktktakeru
« Reply #1737 on: December 10, 2012, 03:26:07 AM »
To anyone going to 個別 I have some messages to pass on to some members if you can.

Kurumi: "Thanks for drawing Indonesia on your map, though our neighbor is Malaysia, not Philippine." I think she meant to draw Malaysia.
And say hi from Indonesia to Hii-chan, Ruka, and Ramu. I hope Hii-chan to be on twitter soon.

Offline SuzukiRyo

• Not
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • tktktakeru
    • Suzuki.Ryo
    • tktktakeru
« Reply #1738 on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
I'm not an analyst so just enjoy.

Offline Jenus

• Member+
« Reply #1739 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:34 AM »
Absolutely brilliant stuff, Yurikaru should just quit Idoling and only concentrate on this group because Idoling is dead in the water.

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: EXO - Growl