JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ishikawa Rika - Goodbye_Charmy

Author Topic: Finland won the Eurovision contest!  (Read 6470 times)

Offline aedon

• Member+
Finland won the Eurovision contest!
« on: May 21, 2006, 12:47:39 AM »

I'm amazed there's no thread for that yet :P So,

CONGRATS FINNS! YOU DESERVE IT! GO LORDI! HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH!

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/finland.htm

I voted 3 times and predicted the top3 XD

絶 望 も 希 望 も な い 空 の よ う に 透 き 通 っ て い た い

Offline Chatin

• Miki's Idol
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 12:51:58 AM »
Oh god that's scary!!  Congrats to the Finns though.  I'll never look at them the same way. XD

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 12:54:25 AM »
HOLY SHIT! I still can't believe what just happened. This is just fucking amazing :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

EUROVISION RESULTS
1. Finland - 292 points
2. Russia - 248
3. Bosnia and Herzegovina - 229
4. Romania - 172
5. Sweden - 170
6. Lithuania - 162

Finnish monsters rock Eurovision

"Finland's Lordi took heavy metal to the Eurovision stage
A Finnish "horror rock" group who dress in monster costumes have pulled off a surprise win at the 51st Eurovision Song Contest in Athens.

European viewers voted for Lordi's song Hard Rock Hallelujah in a show that is normally associated with catchy pop and big ballads.

Russia was second with Dima Bilan's Never Let You Go.

But UK rapper Daz Sampson could only manage to come 19th out of 24 countries with his song Teenage Life.

Lordi's masks, armour and jets of flame attracted widespread attention before the contest - but many thought they were too outlandish to win.

"We are a rock band and we just won Eurovision - that's weird," their lead singer said.

He thanked rock fans, fans of a good show and "all the people who are not narrow minded".

The band were accused by some conservative Greek organisations of promoting Satanism but said they had no connection with the occult.

Lordi amassed 292 points after a public vote - 44 ahead of Russia, whose performance by featured a ballerina emerging from a grand piano.

Bosnia and Herzegovina's entrant Hari Mata Hari was in third place, followed by Romania's Mihai Traistariu.

Carola, from Sweden, who was the bookmakers' favourite before the contest and won in 1991, came fifth.

Sixth place went to Lithuania's LT United, six men in suits singing: "We are the winners of Eurovision."

Hosts Greece came ninth with Anna Vissi, who had also been hotly tipped.

She was followed by Ireland's Brian Kennedy, who rounded off the top 10 with Every Song Is A Cry For Love.

Daz Sampson - one half of dance duo Uniting Nations - only gathered 25 points from the 35 countries that took part in the vote.

No country failed to get off the mark - Malta's Fabrizio Faniello came last with one point.

The other contenders included a German country and western singer, Israeli gospel and a Latvian a capella group.

Some 18,500 fans packed the arena in the Olympic stadium complex, with 2,000 journalists and 3,000 police officers on duty.

The result means Finland will host the competition next year."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4998186.stm

Lordi is our new national hero :bow:

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 12:59:18 AM »
Gooooooooooooooooooooooo Finland! :D

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 01:02:44 AM »
No competition at all!! Who needs idols when you got a He-Man axe!

HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH!

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 01:05:32 AM »
Unreal!

We have been notorious for being one of the worst scoring competitors throughout the 40 years we've been participating. Finland's best position before this win was sixth in 1973 :P

MP3:
Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah (256Kbps VBR)

Semifinal perf:

HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH !!!

XD
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 01:07:35 AM by Stryfe »

Offline chocolate

• Covered Rika
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:18:21 AM »
I have to see him on Monday.
I really enjoyed watching it also because I haven't ever seen so many beautiful girls in this contest. :masturbation:

Offline aedon

• Member+
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 01:21:10 AM »
Hard Rock Hallelujah

Hard Rock Hallelujah!
Hard Rock Hallelujah!

The saints are crippled
On this sinners’ night
Lost are the lambs with no guiding light

The walls come down like thunder
The rocks about to roll
It’s the Arockalypse
Now bare your soul

All we need is lightning
With power and might
Striking down the prophets of false
As the moon is rising
Give us the sign
Now let us rise up in awe

Rock ’n roll angels bring thyn hard rock hallelujah
Demons and angels all in one have arrived
In God’s creation supernatural high

The true believers
Thou shall be saved
Brothers and sisters keep strong in the faith
On the day of Rockoning
It’s who dares, wins
You will see the jokers soon’ll be the new kings

All we need is lightning
With power and might
Striking down the prophets of false
As the moon is rising
Give us the sign
Now let us rise up in awe

Wings on my back
I got horns on my head
My fangs are sharp
And my eyes are red
Not quite an angel
Or the one that fell
Now choose to join us or go straight to Hell

Hard Rock Hallelujah!
Hard Rock Hallelujah!
Hard Rock Hallelujah!
Hard Rock Hallelujah!

Hard Rock Hallelujah!

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/2115.htm

:bow:

絶 望 も 希 望 も な い 空 の よ う に 透 き 通 っ て い た い

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 01:27:31 AM »
eurovision.tv meets Mr Lordi from Finland

"After an exhausting marathon of TV interviews, Lordi came over to speak with eurovision.tv – but not until he’d first taken the time to say hello to three blind journalists.

Mr. Lordi took his time, letting them touch his costume and put their hands on his face before describing the face that is attached to his belt. “You know, that is all glued on,” he told them. “And this is reindeer fur. I do all my costumes on my own.”

Then it was our turn to talk to the great man, in a conversation that ranged from monsters and Greek food to beauty and Lordi’s fear of horses.

eurovision.tv: It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Lordi. You’ve just been asked most of the questions that we had prepared for you. Is there any question that you’ve never been asked but would like to answer?

Mr. Lordi: Oh, good one. Actually, I don’t know. Let’s start with yours.

eurovision.tv: You said that you’ve seen some of Athens. Are you interested in sightseeing?

Mr. Lordi: We had a sightseeing tour on Saturday and went to the Temple of Zeus. But as well as Greek history, I am a great fan of Greek food. We had a big dinner with the delegations on Friday night in a traditional Greek restaurant. That was nice. But they didn’t have these meatballs that I love. You know the ones?

eurovision.tv: Actually, I am a vegetarian.

Mr. Lordi: Oh, sorry. Let’s talk about cheese. Greek cheese is great. [Laughing.]

eurovision.tv: A lot of fans would like to know what photo you have on your accreditation card – is it one of Lordi or Tomi?

Mr. Lordi: I have two different ID cards. But actually, I am a living ID card. I don’t need one in here. No-one is like me.

eurovision.tv: You made your first Lordi video when you were at university, studying theatrical arts. But you didn’t wear a mask. Can you tell us about it?

Mr. Lordi: That’s right. I was a student in a film school. That was 10, 15 years ago. The video is from 1994 and was for my exam work. At that time, Lordi was more or less a one-man project. I was the only one without a mask in the video. I did all the costume work for the others. But when I saw the results of this video, I thought, ‘okaaaaayyyyyyyyy’. All the others looked so much cooler than I did. It should have been the other way round. That was how Lordi came to life.

eurovision.tv: How would you describe yourself to a blind person?

Mr. Lordi: Yeah, that was funny. There were three blind journalists in here. I asked them to touch me so now they know what I look like. They will see things differently. They have eyes on their fingertips.

eurovision.tv: And how would you describe to a blind person who couldn’t touch you?

Mr. Lordi [laughing]: Mr. Lordi is the monster of monsters. He leads a group of five monsters from different ages and different dimensions. We have an alien, we have an Egyptian mummy. On the musical side, we are a rock band, a heavy rock band, playing melodic 80s hard rock.

eurovision.tv: Are there any similarities between Mr. Lordi and Tomi? Is it Jekyll and Hyde?

Mr. Lordi: It’s exactly like that. There are a lot of things that I wouldn’t do without a costume. Mr. Lordi encourages me to do more than I normally would. But Mr. Lordi and Tomi have the same brain. As a private person, I speak differently, I act differently, I walk differently. But to do make-up stuff once in a while is also a relief.

eurovision.tv: Your first monster was the animal from ‘The Muppet Show’. What kind of things did you play with when you were a child?

Mr. Lordi: Not when I was a child – I still am a child. I still collect Muppet’s toys. I played with Star Wars figures, with Masters of the Universe figures, well, monster figures. I loved little spiders, dinosaurs.

eurovision.tv: You said that the scarier a movie is, the more fun it means to you. So how would you define humour?

Mr. Lordi: A difficult question to answer in brief. Let me think. [Pause.] Some say that horror is a sub-genre of comedy. I believe this is true. It’s not humorous, we’re not meant to burst out laughing, but it’s fun and entertainment. It’s the same thing with riding a roller coaster over and over again. Some people would never do it. For others, it’s fun.

eurovision.tv: One last question. You replaced two members of the band. Was it difficult to find new ones?

Mr. Lordi: It was quite easy. But it’s not just about replacing a musician in the band. The chemistry has to be okay. But we were lucky with the decision we made. We are happy with the new members.

eurovision.tv: Mr. Lordi, thanks so much for your open words. Good luck in Eurovision.

Here are more highlights from Mr. Lordi.

* “You know, we are meat eaters in a vegetarian café,” said Mr. Lordi when asked how the band feels to be in Eurovision.
    * Surely Lordi and Christianity don’t go together? Sure they do. “I am a member of a church and our drummer Kita actually wrote and played some church music.”
    * “I don’t want to burn in hell, I want to go to heaven.”
    * When Finnish TV invited Lordi to take part in Eurovision, Mr. Lordi thought that they’d got the wrong number.
    * “We think we look pretty. We look like monsters.”
    * “Lordi is actually my nickname. It was given to me by friends.“
    * “We toured last year through the whole of Europe. And we toured extensively in Germany.”
    * “Our future plan is to get back to our normal heavy metal routines.”

At this point, Mr. Lordi had to go to the little boys’ room. But he continued to provide insights on his return.

* “Sure, some fans have seen us without costumes. But they won’t take any pics. And I also don’t wear my stage costumes when I walk my dogs.”
    * What is Mr. Lordi scared by? After a long pause, “That’s a good one… Horses, I think. They’re so big.”
    * “The Rolling Stones are as careful with their clothes as we are. They only look different. You know, one pair of jeans isn’t the same as another.”
    * “I always drew monsters. My monsters always looked more beautiful than other things.”
    * Are children afraid of Mr. Lordi? “No, not at all. It’s their parents being afraid that make the kids afraid.“
    * “Kids love us. We look like their toys.”
    * “There would never be a Lordi show without our masks.”
    * “‘Kitos’ means ‘bye-bye’ in Finnish.”

Kitos, Mr. Lordi."

The fact that Lordi played with He-Man toys makes him even cooler :P

“‘Kitos’ means ‘bye-bye’ in Finnish.”

Uh, you dumb fucks. First of all it's "kiitos" and it means "thanks" :evil:

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 01:56:28 AM »
The 292 points Lordi amassed is also a new record high score :w00t:

Offline Kia

• Member+
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »
I can't still believe this... xD
Still cool though. 1st time Finland won. xD

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 11:56:39 AM »
"Finland zero points" is history :D

I really hope Lordi's win would bring more non-pop bands to Eurovision. This year's contest was the most interesting ever.
coot is ctz

Offline idiotboy

• day-to ja nai!
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 01:14:41 PM »
i voted for Lordi :) it was a great moment when the UK announcer said 'and the UK gives 12 points to... Finland!'  :P

Offline Kei

• It's legal in MY country!
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 01:47:37 PM »
Well it was the best song so it deserved to win.
赤い瞳は ソドムの街で
美しい女を 採集する
針で止めた 蝶や蛾の様に
動けないおまえは 俺の物

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »
Yay the chairman of the finnish national tv & radio said that the next year's contest would be in Finland. Earlier he stated that because of funding problems there's a possibilty that the contest are given to Sweden instead.
coot is ctz

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 06:59:32 PM »
Anyone for some 'culture' with Apocalyptica :)

Offline Smegzilla

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 07:06:19 PM »
I would have voted for Lordi, if I'd not been working during the contest ><

Nice one, Finland!
You labeled me
I'll label you
So I dub thee unforgiven

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 09:55:36 AM »
Some finnish true hard rock fans :D:D:D

coot is ctz

Offline kingthaking81

• konkon's bonbons
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 09:30:22 PM »
i would have guessed lordi would win~
too bad my country's representative ended up 20th in the semifinals.... compared to the other songs and perfs they were too bland
well, next year better:P

Offline Roary

• Member+
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 09:04:44 AM »
I know a girl who wrestled lordi at his bachelor party.
Lordi was Hulk Hogan but I dont know what Hel was...

She said she had loads of fun :D

Do you want my candy?!?

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ishikawa Rika - Goodbye_Charmy