JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Detroit7 - Owari Wa Hajimari

Author Topic: DAMMIT JANET: NHL Gambling Scandal  (Read 5307 times)

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
DAMMIT JANET: NHL Gambling Scandal
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:18:53 PM »
OMG Gretzkies busted :o

I hope Gretzky himself isn't involved... But imo it's very unlikely his wife would have done it without Gretzky knowing anything.
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:23:43 PM »
It's actually Rick Tocchet who appears to be the focus of the allegations and the investigation.  Wayne's wife is apparently suspected of participating in the ALLEGED betting ring by ALLEGEDLY placing bets for people.  Wayne, so far, has not actually been accused of being a part of this mess.

Here's a google link with a bunch of aritcles when I did a search on "nhl gambling tocchet"  GOOGLE NEWS LINK HERE.

Hope it's shown/proven that Wayne had nothing to do with this.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 09:41:58 AM »
modified the thread a bit. added a poll. a pic. and shit. :lol:

Every hour there's new stories coming out. I ain't surprised about Jeremy Roenick being mentioned. Now Gretzky comes out and says "I never betted" ... after the cops tapped the line talking to Tocchet about getting Janet off the hook.

fuckin Janet. Leeching off her husband and  ruining the Gretzky name. We blamed her for Gretz being traded now his legacy might be tarnished.

So do you guys bet on sports? I've done it thru the office, school, and the occasional Pro Line. No pro bookie.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 09:48:47 AM »
I have betted once. I guess it would make sports more interesting, but at the same time it feels so waste of money.
coot is ctz

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 02:04:56 AM »
Gretzky was stuttering alot during todays press conference. I wonder if he is lying.

I bet in school and stuff.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 07:18:14 PM »
It's got all hockey fans and Canadians heavy hearted.

He is GOD. Kuno_Thunder raped his statue. He is the ambassador to our great sport. And one of the few sports legends you mention by name and go "There's a guy my kid can worship" - Jordan, Dimaggio, Gretzky.

And fuck, when did Tocchet become his best friend?? Fuckin shoulda stayed with the Copper and Blue Gretz. At least we did cocaine and speed.

Gambling ruins the integrity of the game. Look at Pete Rose. He says he didn't bet on baseball but when ur in the hole, bookies, gangstas will ask you to throw a game or two.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 07:09:17 PM »
Quote from: daigong
And fuck, when did Tocchet become his best friend?? Fuckin shoulda stayed with the Copper and Blue Gretz. At least we did cocaine and speed.

I don't think Tocchet is his best friend.  I mean, they work together and all (Tocchet is an assistant coach to Greztky's being head coach).  Even though they probably are good friends, it doesn't mean that one wouldn't have secrets being kept from the other.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 08:22:48 PM »
Bet with friends not like Vegas style.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 10:03:11 AM »
Well, that's good to hear:Gretzky won't face any charges according to his lawyer. Neither will Janet.

"As of last week, in the last conversation I had with anybody involved in the case, Wayne was not a person of interest," attorney Ron Fujikawa told Reuters by telephone from Los Angeles.

Asked specifically if Gretzky might face charges, Fujikawa replied: "No. At most he was a fact witness. He has not yet been called to testify."

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 02:14:56 PM »
Quote from: daigong
Well, that's good to hear:Gretzky won't face any charges according to his lawyer. Neither will Janet.

"As of last week, in the last conversation I had with anybody involved in the case, Wayne was not a person of interest," attorney Ron Fujikawa told Reuters by telephone from Los Angeles.

Asked specifically if Gretzky might face charges, Fujikawa replied: "No. At most he was a fact witness. He has not yet been called to testify."

Man, I'm so fucking relieved. Gretzky is one of the biggest reasons why I got into hockey and I'm still a huge fan. Wayne for prime minister!  :canada:

And about betting, I used to bet on hockey games but nowadays I'm too broke to do it. Betting is pretty popular in Finland though.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 03:18:17 AM »
A spokesman for Janet Jones Gretzky, Wayne Gretzky's wife, said Thursday that Jones Gretzky has assumed she would be subpoenaed to testify in front of a New Jersey grand jury ever since word of a high-stakes gambling ring first broke in early February.

Reminds me of this interview I heard on The Jim Rome Show a few weeks ago featuring Michael Franzese,  former mobster who went straight and now lectures on the downsides of gambling.

He was talking about how 20-25% of athletes gamble (the figure being generous). With shit like poker on TV, the internet, it's easy to get hooked nowadays. He once had a 56 year old  grandma with a gambling problem. Women esp. adept to being hooked on video poker.

When the NFL made those bad calls during the Super Bowl, you'd have to think gambling was involved - dude said. When asked if there was ever a time when an athlete pro or college was forced to fix a  game due to debts: YES. There are many incidents where an athlete purposely compromises a game. The most gambling comes from hockey and golf athletes and football too.

The fact that people don't make money on gambling on a consistent basis is the only way the mob gets them by the balls. Nowadays, kids are so desensitized to murder and shit - they ain't afraid to play with fire when getting hooked up with a bookie. A 100 dollar debt can easily build up to a couple grand. Franzese ended with the statement that you owe the money, you have to pay, there is no forgiveness.

Great lessons indeed. Which is why I never fucked with this shit. My homie got hooked on poker and ended up selling his car. Lucky him.

Makes me interested in reading "Blood Covenant" ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883688670/

Check out his official site at:
http://www.michaelfranzese.com

Expect a new book soon lol. more focused on sports gambling. KA-CHING

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Detroit7 - Owari Wa Hajimari