JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Smap - Triangle

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 548672 times)

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2005, 04:20:25 PM »
At least we have a NHL season again. Players lost by delaying things, but I don't care if they couple of millions less... As long as they play good hockey.
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2005, 03:18:55 AM »
I'm wondering how long this new deal is for?  Chances are at least a few of the years included in the deal will disappear because they'll be "retroactive" to when the last deal expired.  Don't be surprised if the NHL goes through more of the same shit within a few more years.

Personally, I've always felt that there should at least be a rookie salary cap.  I mean, these kids are 18 or 19.  They shouldn't (IMO) be making uber-millions when they haven't paid their dues in the pros yet.

The draft lottery is a good idea too.  Prevents teams from tanking a season when it's evident that they're going no where so that they can get the first pick.  They should do the lottery draw live at the start the draft itself to prevent accusations of fixes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2005, 02:21:44 PM »
Quote from: TheQuickening
I'm wondering how long this new deal is for?

Six years iirc.

Does the draft lottery mean that they're gonna decide the picking order by lottery and no more by last season's results? I prefer the old system, where crappy teams get the most promising rookies.
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2005, 10:39:06 PM »
Quote from: ctz
I'm wondering how long this new deal is for?

Six years iirc.

Does the draft lottery mean that they're gonna decide the picking order by lottery and no more by last season's results? I prefer the old system, where crappy teams get the most promising rookies.

If they adopt the same system that the NBA uses, then it'll work something like this.  Let's say the 5 teams with the worst regular season records will be eligible for the next season's draft lottery.  They'll have a drum where they'll put in coloured balls (one colour for each team).  Each team will get a certain number of balls based on how shitty their record was.  For example the absolute worst team will get 5 balls, the second worst 4 balls, the third worst 3 balls, the fourth worst 2 balls, and the last team only gets one ball.  They spin the drum around to mix the balls up, and they draw ball for each round to determine who goes first, second, third, etc.  

This system can be considered more "fair" because, like I said previously, if a team (in the late part of a season) is obviously in last place in their division, they cannot gain a potential draft advantage by intentionally losing games.

*gasp*, but they'd NEVER do that!!!  Actually, it's more likely than not that it has.

The important thing to remember is the "worst" teams will STILL have access to the top prospects in the draft, this system just makes things a little more interesting my keeping the order from being pre-determined.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2005, 10:14:29 AM »
hmm...soon we get to fully anaylze the new agreement. Gonna tune in starting 1 pm MST.  :w00t:

I admit. I was pissed off that the NHL was gone. NOW I'm actually gonna tune into the GD Lottery thing  :lol:

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2005, 04:48:29 PM »

They'll have a drum where they'll put in coloured balls (one colour for each team).  Each team will get a certain number of balls based on how shitty their record was.  For example the absolute worst team will get 5 balls, the second worst 4 balls, the third worst 3 balls, the fourth worst 2 balls, and the last team only gets one ball.  They spin the drum around to mix the balls up, and they draw ball for each round to determine who goes first, second, third, etc.  

It still sounds like a little too difficult system, but at least it's going to bring more excitement to the draft... I don't know about teams losing on purpose... Has it been a problem or something?
coot is ctz

Offline Kobasew

• Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2005, 07:26:56 PM »
Although I don't follow hockey as religiously as basketball, I must say this draft lottery sure is exciting.  Telelivising the event is probably a great PR move for the NHL as it will hopefully win back some of the fans.

All I can say right now (about 3 hours before the lottery) is I hope Crosby ends up on a Canadian team.  Calgary and Edmonton would be ideal but having said that, my preference would be Toronto (heh, cause I'm a Leafs fan).  Crosby is needed to boost the popularity for smaller market teams.

See you guys in about 3-4 hours.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2005, 07:41:18 PM »
Quote from: ctz

They'll have a drum where they'll put in coloured balls (one colour for each team).  Each team will get a certain number of balls based on how shitty their record was.  For example the absolute worst team will get 5 balls, the second worst 4 balls, the third worst 3 balls, the fourth worst 2 balls, and the last team only gets one ball.  They spin the drum around to mix the balls up, and they draw ball for each round to determine who goes first, second, third, etc.  

It still sounds like a little too difficult system, but at least it's going to bring more excitement to the draft... I don't know about teams losing on purpose... Has it been a problem or something?

The draft lottery system actually isn't that hard to understand.  It's actually easier to understand by watching it happen than by explaining it using words.  The NBA also uses a draft lottery system.  If you've ever seen that, I'm guessing the NHL will use something similar to that.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2005, 08:10:45 PM »

The draft lottery system actually isn't that hard to understand.  It's actually easier to understand by watching it happen than by explaining it using words.  The NBA also uses a draft lottery system.  If you've ever seen that, I'm guessing the NHL will use something similar to that.

I understand the system, but I tried to say that why to make things more complex if the old system works well enough. Simple is beautiful and stuff... :)

I just have never heard about NHL teams losing on purpose in end of a season would be a problem or something. Or that they have been losing on purpose.
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2005, 08:40:14 PM »
It's just a way to stir things up.  Look at Sidney Crosby.  Under the old system, it would be guaranteed that he'd go to the team with the worst record.  2nd worst would then go for the next best pick, and so on.  Now with the lottery, Crosby could potentially go to any one of the teams that are eligible for the draft lottery.  This will be much more interesting in terms of drafting choice and strategy, because the order will not be determined for the lottery teams until the last minute.  The teams no doubt will like it.  If I'm the 5th worst team and I could potentially get Crosby by taking part in this lottery, you bet your sweet as I'm gonna take it!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2005, 09:23:36 AM »
Anyone watch/listen to Canada's version of the State of the Union Address.  :D

- Rule changes. Open access to fans?? WTF.
- The shootout would be exciting but sucks when you lose. ROFL. The Roadrunners had no skill players and our goalie was crap.
- The lottery...Toronto get higher picks rigged!! Florida was a shock. Dammit Edmonton missed and got 25th. I was so pumped when Calgary got 26th bUT DOHHH!! At least the system worked with the big markets getting picked "early" ... WTF geographical thing. Rangers-Isles, Florida-TB, whoa then the Canadian teams Habs. Canucks, Sens. had 3 in the top 10.

In the end, what do ya feel about Pittsburgh getting Crosby - imagine if Lemieux does come back. And Recchi. Rico Fata haha. You know I heard that if this doesn't save em, they could move to The Peg.

- Messier still thinking of coming back!! ROFL
- Bert gets another 20 games. GOOD

anyalyze more tmr..

Offline Kobasew

• Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2005, 09:56:17 AM »
Crosby in Pittsburgh; perhaps the most needing team for his services yet a bit suspicious that the whole process played out so perfectly for the team.  Obviously I may be feeling this way simply because the Leafs got a low pick but I question the integrity of the lottery process since they seem to never televise the actually drawing of the lottery balls (similar to the NBA).

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2005, 02:32:44 PM »
Yeah, Pittsburgh is a good hockey town, but this won't give them a winning record.

Even with the cap, I'd say maximum 5 years before he's traded to Wings/Leafs/Rangers/Avs too.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2005, 10:20:51 PM »
NHL.com article on the draft lottery (including an explanation of how the damn thing actually worked).

What does everyone think of how the NHL symbol has been tweaked?  Before it was black with orange trim.  Now it's black with grey/silver trim.  Personally I think (visually) that the new one is kinda dull.  

Quote from: daigong
In the end, what do ya feel about Pittsburgh getting Crosby - imagine if Lemieux does come back. And Recchi. Rico Fata haha. You know I heard that if this doesn't save em, they could move to The Peg.

- Messier still thinking of coming back!! ROFL
- Bert gets another 20 games. GOOD

Pittsburgh is largely a young team with only a few experienced veterans.  The thing is, the veterans that they DO have (Lemieux, Recchi, etc) are GREAT role models for these youngsters to listen to and emulate.  While the vets are getting on in age, they'll be awesome mentors to help guide and mold the young players to become GREAT players of the future.  And like Asmodai said, Pittsburgh is a good hockey town (especially considering it's in the U.S., where most of the hockey towns are significantly closer to the border with Canada).  It's definitely unrealistic to expect a big miracle turnaround from Crosby, though.  He needs time to learn the professional game and get settled in with his new teammates.

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2005, 01:06:02 AM »
Quote from: daigong

Did I miss the Five o'clock crack giveaway?  Er, I mean, did I hear something about Peg city getting some NHL again?  Seriously children, its hella possible.  The Manitoba Moose did well in the AHL playoffs this year, and the records were great for attendance, especially in the new MTS Centre, which has shitty parking in the Downtown area of Winnipeg.  With the humbled star power of the NHL, and the new agreement of 2005, this could prove as a great start to the NHL returning!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2005, 08:26:37 AM »
^ Indeed. How is guaranteed that any of the smaller market teams will even support their teams...Peg City could pick up Anaheim, Carolina, Florida, whatever. It can be done with the new CBA.

So Goodenow quits. What about Bettman?  :lol:

OK. Let's break it down.

What does everyone think of how the NHL symbol has been tweaked?  Before it was black with orange trim.  Now it's black with grey/silver trim.  Personally I think (visually) that the new one is kinda dull.  

- Rule Changes To Enhance Entertainment Experience --- so yeah? More Euro rules? I'm open to see how this works out...just depends on how coaches will work around it.

- Shootouts Guarantee A Winner -- I'm iffy on this still. Just hate to lose crucial points thanks to a shootout.

- Rivalry-Based Schedule --- goddamn, only 10 games against the East? I dunno if I wanna see the same damn teams over and over. It's only a rivalary if teams actually win. ROFL.

- Aggressive Broadcast Initiatives -- the mic up stuff was OK during the all-star game. But how many JR's are there in the league? Mic up Mats Sundin and it'll be like zzzzzzzzzzzz..

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050722_175401_5236

It's hilarious! OOhh let's flip it around and make it SILVER!! BAH!  :lol:

Saturday boys...Draft Day. hehe. So fuckin desperate for NHL.  :evil:

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2005, 03:13:51 PM »
So it's not just the old logo in black and white?  :?

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2005, 09:52:05 PM »
Quote from: Asmodai
So it's not just the old logo in black and white?  :?

Nope, it's "silver". *Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...*  I dunno, from a distance or on a small/shitty TV it'll probably look grey instead of silver.

As far as Goodenow...*AHEM AHEM*

*singing off key* Na na na NA, Na na NA NA, HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!!! (repeats over and over again)

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2005, 09:55:37 PM »
WOW!!! Who'd have thunk that SIDNEY CROSBY WOULD GO FIRST IN THE DRAFT?!?!?!!  :shock:  :?  :shock:   THAT CAME TOTALLY OUT OF NOWHERE!!! WHAT THE FUCK WAS PITTSBURGH THINKING???

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Ok, lame attempt at humour is now over.  I thought it was funny.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  The Pittsburgh colours look good on him.

There were a few trades (nothing spectacular), and a couple of "surprising" picks made, particularly the ones made by the Washington Capitals.  Both kids that they picked in the first round weren't really expected to go as high as they did.  What really surprised me was the reactions by the commentators from TSN (The Sports Network, a Canadian network that covered the draft) regarding the 5th overall pick, where Montreal selected goalie Carey Price.  Basically, the commentators felt that Montreal made a mistake in picking a goalie when what they really need right now are more better position players.  Personally, I've got to agree with the commentators.  Considering that they're defence was/is shit, and because he was still available at the time, I thought for sure that Montreal would take Marc Stall.  They've already got several goalie's that they're developing, it doesn't make much sense to get another when you need more depth at other positions.

Oh well, here's how the FIRST ROUND picks went, as well as a short summary of the trades that happened in the first round.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2005, 08:11:51 AM »
hahaha, The TSN commentators are like "Yep. My picks ROCK!"

Look at how small Crosby is compared to Mario:

The trend seems to go for the Gretzky sized players. The small quick 5'10" guy...in hopes there doesn't need to be the Lindros, Bertuzzi PF prototypes. Man  the Oilers just picked a slew of "speedy" guys. Fuck man. Andrew Cogliano? Just hope the Aug. 1st Free Agency period will be lucrative.

The Leafs still seem to be in love with the aging banged up veteran. They got Jeff O'Neill for crap. And HEY Masa. Holik is outta here, way to move up the draft though with Marc Staal!

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Smap - Triangle