JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Uhm Jeong Hwa - DJ feat CL

Author Topic: The Kikkawa You Thread (吉川友)  (Read 119465 times)

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Re: The Kikkawa Yuu Thread (吉川友)
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2012, 04:34:18 AM »
Though her album included some B-sides, I'd recommend Fuyuzora Hanabi in particular.
That's one of my favorite song's of hers, and Nights4Saturn, the guy I was hanging out with a lot, would agree it's awesome.
I first heard her sing it on recordings of the H!P Winter concerts before her debut and I've loved it ever since!

( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2012, 01:13:42 PM »
Plenty of Kikka promotion to be found throughout Tokyo  :thumbup

Most CD stores have some posters or even a listen station:

Tower Records, Akihabara:

Tower Records, Shinjuku:

You could also see her promo clip playing on the various huge screens in Shibuya, etc.

In the end I didn't go to her concert because my body was broken from previous events and there's the cash issue too.
I realized Morning Musume also had two big concerts in Tokyo on the same day, so I wonder if that affected the amount of people who went to see Kikka. I hope not too much. Props to Kikka for doing three shows on one day and congrats for getting some recognition as a solo artist.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »
YEAH!!! please promote her well in Belgium, SW!

THANKS SLACK!! hooked me up with some signed goods from Atlanta. lol she got my name right after the 2nd try?

And i was gonna wear the shirt too XD

Read The :hipheart: Team Adventures and INTERVIEW with YOU http://news.jphip.com

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
^Awesome. Awesome to the max.

I have some random Kikka thoughts.

1. Ever since she dyed her hair Kikka gives me a really western vibe. Not just her hair, but even her clothes and general appearance. She doesn't look like the typical Japanese idol any more. In one way it's good because it makes her more unique and it makes her stand out. Which is what you want if you want to make it as a solo artist. On the other hand it may lose her some of the more traditional idol fans. Not sure, but I'm trying to figure why she hasn't become big yet.

2. She needs better songs. I've been going through her discography a lot lately, but the songs just aren't catchy enough. From a song writing point of view I think "Darling to Madonna" is her best song to date. It has everything. A lot of her other songs aren't that memorable, if I'm completely honest. I had the same feeling after the concert. It was great, but you don't find yourself singing or humming her songs that much afterwards.

3. I think the cover album is a big risk. Firstly, it's too early in her career. If one of these songs becomes a hit she'll be forever known as the cover artist. In addition, she doesn't have the stature of a successful solo artist just yet, and I feel that a cover album should be special, or some sort of tribute to the original artists. I'm not really feeling that with this album. From what I gathered at the conference she said the songs are all from the 80s? OK, but why? She wasn't even alive during the 80s. I think she would have benefited more from an album with her own original songs, especially now she's getting her name out there a bit more.

4. Her songs, and especially her choreography remind of what Kotone Mai is doing. Luckily, Kikka feels a lot fresher and definitely more real. Kotone felt like she's pushing herself to appear young and energetic, whereas Kikka is just being herself. I hope Kikka doesn't end up in the same 'circuit' as Kotone. I hope she'll be given the chance to develop more as a vocalist, but also as an actress. Grow beyond idol horror movies and get some proper roles in nice doramas. I know she has the capability, but I hope she'll be given the chance.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:13:18 PM by SomethingWild »

Offline herroen

• ecchi
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2012, 01:27:22 AM »
I didn't know that Yuu is Hello Project.
She is a great addition to Hello Project, as a new line of soloist.
Since Hello Project didn't have many soloist before.
Cute face, great voice, nice smile, she is the whole package.  :otomerika:

Offline Rina the Robot

• ☠☠☠
  • Member+
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2012, 04:31:08 AM »
3. I think the cover album is a big risk. Firstly, it's too early in her career. If one of these songs becomes a hit she'll be forever known as the cover artist. In addition, she doesn't have the stature of a successful solo artist just yet, and I feel that a cover album should be special, or some sort of tribute to the original artists. I'm not really feeling that with this album. From what I gathered at the conference she said the songs are all from the 80s? OK, but why? She wasn't even alive during the 80s. I think she would have benefited more from an album with her own original songs, especially now she's getting her name out there a bit more.

I'm not really sure I agree. It's early in her career and she's not all that popular yet. I know her sales are pretty much comparable to Manoeri's and I think she's great, but since she's not really established yet I think it's fine for her to experiment (like the variety of songs they included on her first album, playing around with genres) The chances of her becoming famous for a cover she did are pretty slim anyway, so it doesn't seem risky. If anything, it might get more people interested and at least googling her because they enjoyed something she did. I don't really think it'll make or break her.

Plus probably a lot of it comes down to finances. I would imagine it's cheaper to produce a cover album with rearranged songs rather than create something completely original

As for the direction of her songs, I'm inclined to agree with you. I didn't even like Darling to Madonna and I bought it (though really, I bought it because I wanted the Watashi ga obasan ni nattemo cover!) :P My favorite song of hers is Hirahira hoshi from her album, I'd love to see more songs with an electronic sound that's a little more mature, I guess.

Kikka is my favorite idol lately so of course I want the best for her, but I'm not really that worried about her career right now. As long as she's releasing music and I can support her, I'll do what I can.
rina ♥ mini

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2012, 06:19:34 AM »
I don't see any threat of her being known as a "cover artist". Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard of any major idols who are described like that. Yes, they're covers of other songs, but the songs are in diverse styles and from different idol eras.  These are seriously famous songs that have serious nostalgia value for a lot of people.  To me, that serves to draw some interest of the fans of the original songs as well as shows off her awesome versatility.

That's not to say that this album is only for the nostalgia value, since all the tracks are produced by known Vocaloid producers.  Not only does this serve to update these songs for a more modern audience, but it also adds a layer of cross-genre appeal that gets some of the Vocaloid fans interested.  If anything, I'd think this album positions her not as a cover artist but more as a Vocaloid singer. (Does this genre even exist outside of Kikka?)

She's already marketed a little like that anyway, given how her last few releases have had the regular edition covers drawn in that Vocaloid style.  If their aim was to market her exclusively as an idol, they would put a photo of her on the cover, not a character illustration.  I think that's a sign that they're trying to position her halfway between "idol" and "artist".

Really, I see no risk in this album. It makes perfect sense given where she came from and where her career is going.  What she needs now is something with broad appeal that will get people's attention.  After that, her talent, beauty, and charm do the rest.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
I'm not really sure I agree. It's early in her career and she's not all that popular yet.

I gotta admit I thought Kikka was doing better than she is. I thought she was selling in the 20K range for some reason  :O2

Kikkake wa You: 15,456
HapiRapi Sunrise: 11,731
Konna Watashi: 5,075
Koko Kara: 3,308
Darling to Madonna: 3,595

Man, I feel really bad for her now. It must suck to work so hard and get worse sales with each release.
Hopefully she reached a turning point with DtM and is on her way up again. I'm convinced she managed to gain new fans at her overseas appearances.

So yeah, with this new perspective I agree with you guys. This cover album may not be a bad idea after all.

Vocaloid singer. (Does this genre even exist outside of Kikka?)

I mentioned this in the IRC already, but for the sake of discussion I'll post it here as well. Watanabe Mayu's 3rd single also goes for the vocaloid angle and the CD covers also feature a anime version of herself. I honestly didn't make the Kikka connection until Slack pointed it out, because Mayu had the 'cyborg idol' character ever since she joined and they just expanded on it. Trying not be biased, but I dig the Mayu stuff too because it's just really well done. But yeah, it sucks for Kikka because one of her appeal points becomes less special this way.

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Kikkawa You Thread (吉川友)
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
Check out what's up at H!O's Tracker! Specifically, click the link, and check out the preview screencap at the top of the right-hand column. :thumbsup
Yuu Kikkawa Special ~Documentary of Overseas~ Space Shower TV 20121122
http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?app=xbt&CODE=details&torrent=53159

For anyone who can't torrent, it's also currently up on Dailymotion.
121122 吉川友密着ドキュメンタリーSP

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
^That was a nice special  :thumbup It showed off Kikka's charm and energy to some extent.

I felt her French was a little bit better than her English. "Trois croissants s'il vous plait!" Idol + food = huge smile.

Paris looked really good on her. She totally fit in with that bright red coat.
Loved the MM interaction as well. They seemed pretty tired and Kikka was all "GROUP FUN FRENCH FOOD YAY"  :lol:

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2012, 04:40:13 AM »
You has it all....as the one fan in the above special mentioned- she really engages on a personal level with fans, and has a wonderful positive energy.

Of course she is beautiful and sings well, but she also has a really cute speaking voice. I have noticed what Something Wild pointed out, she has a 'non Japanese idol' vibe.

Maybe partly because she is a solo artist now, and because she doesn't have other group members to bounce off of while overseas, she engages more with the people that she meets then some idols do when they are overseas. {that being said, her meet up in the restaurant with some of the Morning Musume members was really nice to watch - and also her one on one with Mizuki at a sidewalk cafe}

It is a tough, competitive music market in Japan, and for a singer who has idol roots, it is even tougher to break out of the mold. But the special above as a study of a young Japanese woman trying to make her way in the world is a really well produced film.

And it also works as a documentary to show Japanese viewers how foreigners are interested in various Japanese culture both old and new.

It is heartwarming to see the support You has had from JPH!P members, and this will surely help You become more well known to foreign fans. And as you watch the North American & European fans react to You's performances, it is obvious they are impressed by her talent and captured by her persona. Her "trois croissants, s'il vous plait" was kawaii indeed, and she got the ticket sales guy at the subway to smile (is not an easy task)

And of course you have Paris....there are other beautiful cities in the world, but there is only one Paris. (Consolation prizes awarded to Orleans, Brussels and Atlanta)

A huge congratulations to Kikkawa You, for a well done documentary (nice PV to finish), and looking forward to her continued success!!

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »
You san looking very beautiful in this CM....congratulations !!  :yossi: :otomerika: :cow:

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
oh baby when is this spread coming out? Props to Chibs for linking in IRC.

MAGAZINE SHOW APPEARANCE Kikka on the radio too IBAN!! you :P 

promo for her new album [Two YOU] http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=35123.0

PLUS!!

GUEST情報# ≪ #NACK5 20時 #おに魂 http://amba.to/17v9HaK  #Onitama795

#4月25日 木曜 #吉川友

TOWER RECORDS インストアイベント 吉川友 ミニライブ&握手会 event http://tower.jp/store/event/2013/04/003070

吉川友 ミニライブ&握手会
開催日時
 2013年04月23日(火)   19:00
場所
渋谷店  B1F 「CUTUP STUDIO」
参加方法
ご予約者優先でタワーレコード渋谷店にて下記の対象商品をご購入の方に先着で「イベント入場券」と「握手券」を配布いたします。
「イベント入場券」はご購入枚数に関わらずお一人様1枚とし、「握手券」はご購入枚数分を差上げます。
ご予約のお客様には優先的に入場券を確保し、商品購入時に入場券を差し上げます。入場番号はご予約された順番となります。
既定数に達し次第「イベント入場整理券」と「握手会参加券」の配布を終了とさせていただきます。
対象商品
 4/24発売アルバム 『Two YOU』 初回限定盤
4/24発売アルバム 『Two YOU』 通常盤
4/24発売DVD 『Music Video Clips vol.1』

ROAD TEAM WINS!

Offline funnyboy

« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »
yuu kikkawa Young Magazing

Offline funnyboy

« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »
 :)

Offline funnyboy

« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2013, 09:46:19 PM »
 :)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
Kikkawa You - YOU21 Photobook Cover:

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
(see what I did there?)

I regret not going to Atlanta last year, so I hope I can get another chance to see her. May she stay awesome with the singing and hot photos and other stuff!
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »
Happy 21st birthday to Yuu san!!!

May the upcoming year be full of good surprises,
and much joy and happiness!!!

A recent appearance with Passpo and Sakura Gakuin!!

And some promotion:

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Uhm Jeong Hwa - DJ feat CL