JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Iroppoi Jirettai

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 341697 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #1460 on: May 21, 2010, 02:58:18 AM »
Daaaamn, the Rays come into the Bronx and just KICK Yankee ASS.  Very impressive.

And they SHOULD go all out this year: Crawford and Pena will be gone after this season.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Interleague time!
« Reply #1461 on: May 21, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »
From the latest Joe Sheehan Newsletter:

If interleague play truly drove interest, attendance and ratings, the games would be played on weeknights in April and September. That has never been the case; interleague gets four weekend slots, mostly in June, a time when people come out of the woodwork to watch baseball games. The statistics that come out every year to build the case for interleague simply ignore this fact and tout it as fact that the games were better attended that their intraleague counterparts, as if attendance had never tracked with the mercury prior to 1997.

To whatever extent gains are made, they come via the handful of games that are interleague’s raison d’etre: the crosstown matchups in New York and Chicago and their slightly more distant partners in California, Texas, Ohio and the mid-Atlantic. There are eight team pairs that are geographically close enough to be considered interleague rivals, and that’s giving Cleveland/Cincinnati (Pittsburgh is more a rival to the former), Baltimore/Washington (one team didn’t exist six years ago) and Florida/Tampa Bay (no rivalry exists) more credit for heat than is warranted. The entire schedule is thrown into disarray, divisional and wild-card raced skewed, so that those 16 teams can play six games against one another every year. Tiger fans get to gaze upon the wonder that is the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Blue Jays get another western swing tacked onto their schedule. The Brewers and Angels get to fight for the Bob McClure Cup.

I'd like to see a break from this stuff, too.  We have the DH in the All-Star Game and the Wild Card ain't going nowhere.  Can't we get some tradition back?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Yankee Stadium bans laptops and iPads?!!
« Reply #1462 on: May 21, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »
Their Gestapo attitude towards the mandatory 7th-inning "God Bless America" standstill was bad enough.  Now, laptops and iPads need not apply?!!

Safety and patriotism first.  That's why they're the Greatest City In The World.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
THAT'S the Chicago Way...
« Reply #1463 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:13 PM »

Man, what a windup that guy made for that punch...

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #1464 on: May 25, 2010, 01:02:13 AM »
Texas Rangers filed bankruptcy

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
SF Giants are morons...
« Reply #1465 on: May 25, 2010, 09:19:13 PM »
Texas Rangers filed bankruptcy
^^^
Another opportunity for A-Rod bashing, no doubt!

Loved this bit from Keith Law's chat session at ESPN.com:

Josh (Lincoln, NE)
At what point does Brian Sabean get fired? He gave the crazy contracts to Zito and Rowand, traded FOR Sidney Ponson, traded Liriano, Nathan, and Bonser for a year's worth of AJ Pierzynski, and publicly bashes his
organization's best prospect for no reason.

Klaw  (1:10 PM)
You know what he should do? Trade Posey. They obviously don't want him, and they don't think they need him. Imagine the prospect bidding war that Boston and Tampa Bay would get into right now if Posey was available.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #1466 on: May 26, 2010, 12:57:59 AM »
A 21-page filing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Fort Worth included the top 30 unsecured creditors, a list headed by Alex Rodriguez, who is owed $24.9 million in deferred compensation six years after he was traded away from the team.

The next five on the list are also current or former players: Kevin Millwood ($12.9 million), Michael Young ($3.9 million), Vicente Padilla ($1.7 million), Mickey Tettleton ($1.4 million) and Mark McLemore ($970,000).

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
The Perfect Game Ruined!
« Reply #1467 on: June 03, 2010, 06:30:27 AM »
Here it is, Bud Selig. Here is your chance to make sure what happened in Detroit on Wednesday night never, ever happens again.

Armando Galarraga(notes) was robbed. Stone-cold fleeced. The Detroit Tigers right-hander retired the first 26 Cleveland Indians he faced, and the 27th, Jason Donald(notes), sliced a ground ball wide of first base. Miguel Cabrera(notes) fielded it and threw it to a Galarraga, whose foot hit the bag before Donald’s did. It was the 21st perfect game in major league history.

Until Jim Joyce opened his mouth.

“Safe,” said the umpire, a 21-year veteran, flailing his arms sideways for emphasis. Of all the umpiring malfeasance in the last year, this was the worst.

History denied by a blown call.

Here is your straw, commish. The camel’s back is broken.

Institute widespread instant replay.

Now.

It should’ve been in place the moment Major League Baseball agreed that technology was sufficient to double-check home run calls. That came in August 2008. In the middle of the season. Selig is not against changing rules on the fly. The slope is already greased.

And this is how he should do it: announce on Thursday morning that he’s putting together a committee of executives, players, MLB officials and union officials to discuss the proper parameters of replay. Weigh, over the next five weeks, the benefits and detriments of different options, like the NFL’s red-flag system that limits teams to two replays per game or a broader option that allows operators in MLB’s central replay office to stop the game to review a call.

Then, at the All-Star Game, announce the new rules and implement them starting in the second half.

It is long overdue. The blown calls in the 2009 playoffs were bad enough. From Phil Cuzzi’s 20/10,000 vision that missed Joe Mauer’s(notes) shot inside the line during the Division Series to a number of blown calls in Game 2 of the World Series, umpires dished out disappointment with far too much regularity for the most important time of the year.

Still, a postseason replete with embarrassment didn’t compel Selig to change. He defended the game’s human element as if it was some mystical life force that keeps baseball right and fair and just.

Tell that to Armando Galarraga.

He is a 28-year-old from Venezuela. He spent the season’s first five weeks pitching for Detroit’s Triple-A team in Toledo, Ohio. If he isn’t the unlikeliest candidate to achieve baseball immortality, he’s in the picture. Never had he thrown a complete game in any of his previous 56 starts, let alone one approaching perfection.

And yet there he was. Austin Jackson(notes) made an amazing over-the-shoulder catch in center field for the first out of the ninth. A groundout to shortstop left him one away, with a rookie at the plate, the perfect formula to flare Galarraga’s senses. He could smell perfection in the air, hear it from the Comerica Park crowd, feel it coursing through his veins, taste its sweetness, see it right in front of him, 60 feet, 6 inches away. It was his.

It is his.

In the eyes of everyone who saw the replay – television’s, not baseball’s – Galarraga pitched a perfect game. It was a 28-out perfect game, to be specific, as he retired Trevor Crowe(notes) for the final out amid the cacophony at the stadium. Fans were mad. They had every right to be.

Joyce stole history.

“I just cost that kid a perfect game,” he said. “I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay.”

He feels awful, of course. He should. He screwed up. Even though it wasn’t malicious, intent doesn’t matter. His job is to get the call right. He didn’t do his job.

Replay would’ve. Joyce would’ve been able to laugh it off afterward – saved by something with better eyes than him. He and Galarraga would’ve laughed about it. The perfect game would’ve been legitimate, not something to which baseball fans assign a personal asterisk.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland stood in Joyce’s face after the 28th out and berated him, mimicking the emotions of everyone in the stadium, everyone around the country, everyone who wondered: How dare you? A better question is how dare the commissioner and how dare the umpires’ union and how dare the other Luddites who try to sell the red herring that a few extra minutes here and there aren’t worth it to get the call right every time?

“I don’t know what to say,” Galarraga said.

No one did.

Baseball is stuck with another humiliation. On the day Ken Griffey Jr.(notes) retired, all the sport could talk about was Galarraga and Joyce and the perfect game with the imperfect call. On the same night referees in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals used replay to reverse a missed call and gave the Philadelphia Flyers a goal, baseball let its technology rot on something as infrequent as boundary calls on home runs.

The onus returns to the commissioner. If ever there were a time to invoke the best-interests-of-baseball clause, this is it. Selig must swallow whatever romanticism remains regarding the subject of replay and do right by the game.

He can’t reverse Jim Joyce’s call.

He can’t give Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

He can ensure something like this never, ever happens again.
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #1468 on: June 03, 2010, 06:53:07 AM »
things like that happens in football all the time

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1469 on: June 03, 2010, 08:27:23 AM »
detroit screwjob!!!

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: Thanks for the memories, Ken Griffey Junior
« Reply #1470 on: June 03, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
You gotta give it up to the Ump tho, he owned it. LIKE A MAN. And Armando Galarraga just smiled when it all happened, he could complained and whined like a bitch.

Gotta give it up to classy players....much like Ken Griffey Jr who retired:

630 HR. 2781 hits. 1836 RBIs. Too bad, I wanted to go to his last game or smth. You will be missed as one of the classiest Junior.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1471 on: June 03, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »
Baseball (and I guess that means "Bud") owes it to Galarraga AND Jim Joyce AND all of us who love the game to get off HIS RICH FAT FUCKING ASS and get the "human element" from making a goddamn joke of MLB.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Joe Sheehan on replay in baseball
« Reply #1472 on: June 03, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
From the latest edition of the Joe Sheehan Newsletter:

It’s nice to have a lot more people on the bandwagon this morning than were on it yesterday, but it’s been high time for an instant-replay system for years now. We have maple bats, machine-wound baseballs, high-tech camera systems tracking every pitch, sophisticated scoreboards, state-of-the-art ballparks…but this is where we draw the line on technology encroaching upon the game? No. A century ago, human eyes were the best available technology for ascertaining what happened on a baseball field. That is no longer the case. It’s time for a six-billion-dollar industry to stop allowing middle-management functionaries making less than anyone else on the field be the determining factor in ballgames, pennant races, championships.

I just hope that this, finally, is the high-profile blown call that gives us the NCAA football replay system baseball needs. The only human element we need in our baseball games is what the players bring.

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1473 on: June 03, 2010, 08:18:32 PM »
They should make instant replay all around it may slow down the game but its worth it :twothumbs
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1474 on: June 03, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »
"Bud" Selig's office released another mundane statement that pays the usual lip service but little concrete evidence that MLB will do anything to change the status quo.

Sigh...

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #1475 on: June 04, 2010, 12:47:01 AM »
Baseball (and I guess that means "Bud") owes it to Galarraga AND Jim Joyce AND all of us who love the game to get off HIS RICH FAT FUCKING ASS and get the "human element" from making a goddamn joke of MLB.

Remove the human element completely? I agree on removing it to a certain extent. When it comes to calls on base, fair vs foul home runs hits, then I am in for using instant replay. But when it comes to strikes and balls, I would keep the human element there.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1476 on: June 04, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »
I feel bad for the ref though, he knew he blew it. the next day, Galaragaga got a new car from it. and the ref got all tear eyed from applause from the det fans for admitting him. Good conclusion!

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1477 on: June 04, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »
^ true it will haunt him forever but at least every one got something out of it, and a good reason to expand instant replay but make it quick
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1478 on: June 04, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »
Jim Joyce's tears, Galarraga's cool under fire, and all the post-game goodwill will have been a COMPLETE WASTE OF FRIGGIN' TIME unless "Bud" and his big buck$ institute MEANINGFUL replay in the game.

Does anyone remember the 2009 postseason?!!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Junior!!!
« Reply #1479 on: June 04, 2010, 06:26:29 PM »
Joe Sheehan reflects on Junior:

Griffey’s career is diminished when it is turned into just another venue for discussing PEDs. He is a fascinating character in baseball history, extraordinarily popular yet noticeably remote. There are many parallels between Griffey and Joe DiMaggio. Both were portrayed as carefree youths when they came into the game. Both were more private, more insular, than they seemed at first, and grew moreso as they aged. Both were labeled the best in the game in their time despite the presence of a better, much less popular, rival. Both were hampered by injuries in their thirties that chipped away at their playing time, if not so much their performance in DiMaggio’s case. For both, the image of them early in their career is the one endures. There’s a mythology around both players that goes past their play on the field, past their statistics. They meant something to people. They still do.

DiMaggio became larger than life after his career, due in part to his marriage to Marilyn Monroe, his immortalization in song lyrics and literature, and the label of Greatest Living Player that was bestowed upon him in 1969. It has become difficult to separate DiMaggio the Player from DiMaggio the Legend.. We may be headed that way with Griffey, who while an unlikely candidate to trade vows with Angelina Jolie or have his absence lamented in song by Jay-Z, is being placed on a pedestal, just as DiMaggio was.

As we look around at a landscape strewn with broken marble, we shouldn’t make this mistake again. Let Ken Griffey Jr. retire as a great baseball player, a beloved baseball player, never to be forgotten. There’s no need for any more labels than that.

Agreed: the compulsion to address the man's career in some bullshit moralistic context drives me nuts.  Junior Griffey is a first-ballot HOF member because he brought JOY into the game.  And yeah, all those home runs didn't hurt either.

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Iroppoi Jirettai