JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Buono! - Honto no Jibun

Author Topic: The Nameless Monster (Ch.1: Golem)  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Heleris

The Nameless Monster (Ch.1: Golem)
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »
I haven't been back for a while, it seems. Been very busy with any number of things. I have not forgotten this place though.

Here's a new story that was inspired while I was away on a trip. I do hope that it will be of interest.

Chapter 1: Golem

It seems...I've been sleeping for a very long time.

The first feeling of sensation, a crackling ripple from claw to shoulder. As if awakening from stone, out of stone, a tremble of anticipation. A twitch, and another, as life came out of death.

That granite coffin suddenly seemed too small, too confining. The body itself too petrified, muscles frozen from disuse. Cracks spidering across that slab of stone, splintering.

A hand broke freed from the slate, shale dust scattering and forming a thin mist in the still air. Hands that ended in curved, deadly tips, raking at the darkness.

Sound. Chains clinking, tinkling with an artificial cheeriness. The heavy clang of metal on stone, the rusted screeching of claws across the ancient bindings.

The coffin cracked some more, shuddering as something shouldered its way out from within. A formless shape, an extended shadow, mimicking the curve of a great webbed hand...

Wings, bursting out from its confinement. Cracked and worn, the skeletal tatters of an instrument of flight. Attached to a source, still encased within stone.

The slab shuddered some more, then split evenly down the middle, two great halves falling apart and then shattering to pieces of useless rubble. Pebbles rolled within great, clawed feet, sending puffs of dust to roll insignificantly around the chamber.

Frozen, like a statue or sculpture, incomplete and fallen into disrepair. One clawed hand extended, still covered in dust. Rusted chains hung limply from that arm, swaying in some invisible breeze. Stringy strands of what looked like hair settled on rocky shoulders, disturbing the layer of dust that still lingered.

That chest did not heave with life, nor was any part of that body warm to the touch. Yet, it unmistakably was. Not alive, but animate.

The same chains that encircled that one arm also extended to crisscross the entire body. A body that seem excessively large, encased as it were with some kind of armor...or a seal? Heavy and cumbersome, the chains rattled with every ponderous step; that same step crunched down on some rock, reducing it to powder in an instant.

Metal of some kind concealed its face; it could not see. At some point it might have been clear and polished, now all that remained was corroded and ridged, lending a demonic visage to its bearer. Beads of red rust ran from where the eyes would have been, seeming almost like crimson tears on a faceless creature.

Claws, dragging down on another wall. No exit. Cold stone and soil under a dusty palm. Very far from the sun, that source of life. No path to the surface was forthcoming.

No matter. A path would be created, if it did not exist. A shower of rocks, as claws dug deep into one wall.

It would leave this place. This grave, this prison, this nightmare. Continuing to dig, tirelessly, heedless of the rusted engraving carved into the precise center of a once ornate breastplate.

"Golem"

A name that was not. A creature that was not. A human it was not. An existence outside the three worlds, an abomination. It could not exist, but simply was.

It continued to dig. What purpose was there left, but to seek what was lost? The rusted carving was soon hidden under soil and dirt, as the creature pushed onwards.

Give me back my name!

---

A golem is a construct without a soul. An attempt at the creation of life.

Will update when circumstances permit. Do leave some thoughts.

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Nameless Monster (Ch.1: Golem)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:08:22 PM »
woo first to comment o-o

Welcome backz Heleris.

Hmm.. what a dark beginning. Kinda scary, it's not bad i guess. Your writing is amazing tho, but I guess it's a little too dark for me heh XDD I'll still continue to read this fic! no worries.. provided I don't lose my fic reading mood

btw no offense but ... why do ya sound so dull?

Offline Heleris

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 05:58:29 PM »
The beginning seems dark, but it will lighten up in the future. It's not all gloom and doom, not even I'm that horribly depressing, no matter what some people might think.

As for the dull comment, no offense taken. I was just tired. Training was pretty hard and with semester having already started, it just got worse? I'll try to squeeze more time in to work on the story, but don't expect fast updates, at least not until I get a break. Not everyone is as free as you are, steph. Get a job, it'll keep you busy.

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:40 AM »
o-o

wait a sec.. how do YOU know I don't have a job??..

Offline Heleris

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 04:00:59 AM »
I'm surprised that you haven't recognized me. Tsk.

Or do I have to tell my little sister to ask if you have a boyfriend again before you realize who I am? =P

Well, I was shocked when Sarah told me that she was working and that you had stopped. If this goes on, everyone will really think that she's the older one of you two, if they haven't already assumed so.

So Steph, know who I am now?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:23:26 AM »
Welcome...back? So then, you were either a lurker, or you had a previous username and you just can't remember your old password? :P

Chapter 1: Golem
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...not a bad start. Granted, it sounds a bit more like it would be better suited as a prologue rather than a first chapter, IMHO.

At any rate, looking forward to see what direction you take this in.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:07:19 AM »
:shocked :shocked :shocked

... lushy?

whaaaa.... *runs away*

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Buono! - Honto no Jibun