JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Melon Kinenbi - Kawaii Kare

Author Topic: The Final Fantasy Thread  (Read 297050 times)

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Final Fantasy Thread
« Reply #460 on: December 19, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
Thanks to Asmodai, Tuffty and Yuna, for all your great suggestion and advice.   I'll guess I'll either go with FF-X, FFVII or FFXIII for beginners. I would take all your suggestions at heart. 

I'd just realize the difference in RPG gameplay that there is in the gaming world.  basically I'm would be use to I played FFVII:Crisis Core on PSP before and it's similar to action-adventure games with full player control like GTA.  I also like how Pokemon Red, Yellow and Blue gameplays so I don't know until I'm I try it myself, thanks for all the help. 
 btw, I did own the PS, but not currently, only PS2, PSP and PS3...

Offline Blacky-

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #461 on: December 19, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »
FF VII is my favorite Final Fantasy. For me it's the best RPG on PS1. There is a great story and each characters has a real personality. FFVII is still my favorite game. After FF VII I prefer FF XII but it's not for the story, :D I like its difficulty and the big boss ... The fight system is very nice.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #462 on: December 19, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »

Both the PS2 and PS3 play PS games just fine. :)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #463 on: December 20, 2009, 12:26:58 AM »
Wait, woah, woah. Reading back Asmo's post, FFVIII is on the US PSN store? Any word of a Euro release then? I mean, I tried to get FFVII on the PSP but couldn't get it downloaded as my wireless tends to reset itself at random occassions. But with FFVIII on the PSN store, I'm more tempted to play it again XD Hearing FFVIII's world map music on Dissidia makes me very nostalgic.

On Gametrailers, they have some direct gameplay footage from the game if you wish to see.

There's more on their site but be careful, there's videos of cutscenes as well, and the description for one may give away some story spoilers that I didn't want to see :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:33:01 AM by Tuffty »

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #464 on: December 20, 2009, 01:47:34 AM »
Wait, woah, woah. Reading back Asmo's post, FFVIII is on the US PSN store? Any word of a Euro release then? I mean, I tried to get FFVII on the PSP but couldn't get it downloaded as my wireless tends to reset itself at random occassions. But with FFVIII on the PSN store, I'm more tempted to play it again XD Hearing FFVIII's world map music on Dissidia makes me very nostalgic.

As I know, FF VIII should be out in January 2010 on the Euro PSN...
I can't wait for it anymore!

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #465 on: December 20, 2009, 02:11:19 AM »
i got ff8 for the psn! best final fantasy ever IMO!!!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #466 on: December 20, 2009, 02:35:55 AM »
As I know, FF VIII should be out in January 2010 on the Euro PSN...
I can't wait for it anymore!

Woo! :w00t: :w00t: I only hope my connection can handle downloading 1GB+ worth to my PSP. FFVIII on the go. Oh baby.

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #467 on: December 20, 2009, 02:45:06 AM »
I love FFVIII! I was just thinking about buying it in japanese, that is because my PS3 in japanese, so it won't read US discs. Plus back in the day my FFVIII was pirated and now would be a chance I have to give back SE something for making this amazing game.

As for FFXIII, I'm not even touching anything in gametrailers for a while, my game arrives on the worst case scenario on Tuesday (Dec 22nd), so I'll stay spoiler free.

Offline orac

• SNSD Jessica for life
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #468 on: December 20, 2009, 04:04:42 AM »
I just ordered FFXIII, waiting until march is too long, and I did fine in the FFXIII JP demo.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #469 on: December 20, 2009, 04:16:23 AM »
@Yuna
Same here. Blocking out all FF XIII media till the english ver comes.
Think I'll have to rip my eyes out, it's like everywhere (yeah, like Avatar!). :lol:

@ BigDnm01
Like all the other guys said, FFX is the best choice. Hell, I bought my PS2 just for it.
It's very close to the traditional FF gameplay style. It also still looks great.
Just remember to get the International version. You'll have great fun with it. :thumbsup

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #470 on: December 20, 2009, 05:35:29 AM »
ff8 psn DL is already out for north america. not out yet for europe and japan?

Offline sayahchan

• I disapear from time to time, only to return in a blaze!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ava made by moi ask me for anymore.
« Reply #471 on: December 20, 2009, 07:52:30 AM »
http://entry.ffxiv.com/na/index.html
http://entry.ffxiv.com/eu/index.html

FF XIV beta sign-ups (for the PC). :)

asmo if you keep up with that I TOTALLY wanna know when I can beta test the ps3 version :P that will be the one I sign up for. does signing up for a square ID get you email about that stuff?

Avatar and sig made by Kawaii Beam

Offline sayahchan

• I disapear from time to time, only to return in a blaze!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ava made by moi ask me for anymore.
« Reply #472 on: December 20, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »

Both the PS2 and PS3 play PS games just fine. :)

OH SCRAP THAT. lol um some PSone, and some PS2 games, simply won't work on a PS3, and the new slims are actually worse for that reason.

and BigDnm01 as a beginner RPG player, FFVII and FVIII are the best bets for you FFVX is good, but its battle system differs enough to be confusing, FFXII- can be the most confusing cause that battle system is so different, but the sphere grid in 10 makes for confusion if your used to the materia or draw systems used in 7 and 8...

Sorry I am a FF addict and nerd, and a complete sony fangirl. lol I try to convert 360 heads with little luck.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:09:25 AM by sayahchan »

Avatar and sig made by Kawaii Beam

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #473 on: December 20, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »
http://entry.ffxiv.com/na/index.html
http://entry.ffxiv.com/eu/index.html

FF XIV beta sign-ups (for the PC). :)

asmo if you keep up with that I TOTALLY wanna know when I can beta test the ps3 version :P that will be the one I sign up for. does signing up for a square ID get you email about that stuff?

I found about it from another forum I'm on. If I see anything I'll keep you posted.

My PS3 slim has played any PS1 games I've tried in it - though to be fair I don't have the biggest library. It doesn't play PS2 games at all - fortunately I already have a PS2. :)

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #474 on: December 20, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »
ff8 psn DL is already out for north america. not out yet for europe and japan?

FF VIII is out on the japanese PSN too.
Only we from the Euro region must wait until new year T_T

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline angboi

• Member+
  • 優子ちゃんが最高だ!
« Reply #475 on: December 21, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »
FF13 on PS3 now :)

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #476 on: December 21, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »
Lucky fella, I'm so jelaous  :angry:
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. I've been following UPS and it's already in my country, and in a city near mine.
If not today, it'll come tomorrow for sure, as UPS had predicted.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #477 on: December 21, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
For those lucky lucky people who have a copy, would it be possible to post their (spoiler free) impressions of the game as they go through? I haven't read comments on other sites for fear of being told spoilers, but I know I can trust you guys! :)

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »
My copy just arrived, almost at the end of the day !!!   :grin:
I will see it just now and leave my thoughts on it !

That bad thing was, I had to pay about US$100.00 of taxes. Man, I can't say how much I hate my country!

But even so, I'm not all that angry because I just game Final Fantasy XIII, finally !

EDIT:

For those lucky lucky people who have a copy, would it be possible to post their (spoiler free) impressions of the game as they go through? I haven't read comments on other sites for fear of being told spoilers, but I know I can trust you guys! :)

So far I have played a little over an hour, and it's great so far! Lot's of dialogue, the battle is so fast that sometimes you can barely look at the damage you're dealing, because you have to worry about your life, which enemy you target, and all, and that's with only with a little available abilities.

Graphics are spectacular, facial expressions are some of the best I've seen, and not only in movies, but every little scene. Characters hands are a little blocky, which is kinda funny, but you only see it when they give you a close up on their hands, otherwise it's barely noticeable.

Sound: Can't tell much about the music with so little time, but the battle theme (which was already know) is great, but the sound itself deserves a praise. I play the game using digital audio input, and a 6.1 Home Theater and oh god, the sound is a blast!
When you hear an explosion, it really feels like it, when it's supposed to be subtle, it is.

Overall: so far, it's fantastic, I feel like I'm running out of adjectives to qualify the greatness of this game.

Later on I'll you give you guys some more updates on something more in depth (spoiler free, of course).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:17:42 AM by Yuna »

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
Heres some critiscm of the game from 2chs without any spoilers

The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

There are hardly any towns.

The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].

There are rather a lot of movies.

Moving around is like a long marathon.

The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.

You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].

Your party is completely healed after each battle.

If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].

The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.

The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse

The story is rubbish…

Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.

However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].

There have been next to no changes from the demo.

The status screen displays no real information.

There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].

There are no levels.

If these are true, square enix really dropped the ball.

one of the thing is also that snow guy's character pisses a lot of ppl off!

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Melon Kinenbi - Kawaii Kare