JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Going Under Ground - Graffitti

Author Topic: [Discuss] What has k-pop done to you??  (Read 34741 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[Discuss] What has k-pop done to you??
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:03:07 AM »
There are so many Korean music fans here and has spawned billions of posts. It's all over JPH!P Radio, so we wonder...

What has k-pop done to you?? *

inspired by Fen and/or basugasu

:ptam-wub:

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
Re: [Discuss] What has k-pop done to you??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:13:49 AM »
It made the latent kpop fan that was hidden within me for years bloom.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline mrhomiec

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 05:56:12 AM »
it's starting to overtake the amount of japanese music i have.

Offline aznnerd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »
It made me fangirl and buy any products imaginable.
Like seriously, I would have never bought stickers or socks of other artists before. Oh what have you don't to me Kpop!

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:34:48 AM »
it's starting to overtake the amount of japanese music i have.

^ This.

And it has gotten me more interested in Korean culture. :D (The language, food, notable places in Korea...) Yeah, I'm a nerd.  :mon sweat:

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:38:08 AM »
There are so many Korean music fans here and has spawned billions of posts. It's all over JPH!P Radio, so we wonder...

What has k-pop done to you?? *
inspired by Fen and/or basugasu

:ptam-wub:

LOL

It made me start learning Korean. Although very slowly as I have no textbook to learn from. XD

It is starting to did overtake my Japanese music in the car. lol
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:45:05 AM by Fenrir »

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »
Kpop has made me look at a bunch of the jpop in my collection and make me wonder how the hell I was ever into it.  The variety of the music, the amount of training that they go through, and how there's a lot more singing with the diaphragm instead of the throat.  Dancing with the whole body, instead of parapara style, and the fluidity and ass shaking? Hellz yeah, that shit is awesome.  Collaborating with members of other groups in different agencies to put on AWESOME performances?  Ballin!  Most notably, the fact that the PERFORM THE ENTIRE SONG when they're on music shows, usually two or three times a week during the promotion time, something that for some reason doesn't happen in jpop which screws members who aren't always in front.  The wackiness of insane Netizens also makes me thankful that I'm not as stupid as they are, but you gotta acknowledge them for being passionate.  The whole entertainment industry is also making alot of strides outside of Korea, and not to just anime fans.  Lee Byung Hun in GI Joe, Rain in the Wachowski Bros movies, the remakes of Korean novellas in the Philippines, the Wonder Girls taking over America and placing on the BillBoard Charts, and a Korean Music Festival at the Hollywood Bowl in California that's been going on for now 8 years?  They're definitely doing SOMETHING right.

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »
Its made me pretty damn gay :sweatdrop: I'll do a long spiel later

It made me fangirl and buy any products imaginable.
Like seriously, I would have never bought stickers or socks of other artists before. Oh what have you don't to me Kpop!

I think you and I are gonna get along perfectly ;)

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »
^ No pay no gay as Fen Jr says or hears I should say. XD

KT: I understand what you are feeling. I look at Jpop now and go, wow, what a difference. XD I find the arrangements and composition much more interesting in Kpop. Although I still like old Jpop stuff. :D

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • K-M-E-I Kamei! K-A-M-E Kyamei!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:53:04 AM »
K-pop/culture made me realize that I'm actually attracted to Asian men, Korean men.  :drool: XD I actually had my first taste of k-pop around the late 90's when H.O.T. and SES were popular. And I found about them through a J-culture magazine. :lol: From there I wouldn't be introduced back to Korea until Japan went through the Yonsama phase and I had to check out what's so great about that Winter Sonata drama. From there I became addicted to k-dramas/movies which were 100x better than j-dramas/movies. I came back to k-pop around 2006 with Shinhwa, DBSK, Suju and claimed that I only love j-pop girl groups and k-pop guy groups. That is until the k-pop girl group revived and the rest is history. I also like the somewhat conservativeness of K-culture, like girls can be really sexy without having to be half naked. I mean I can't even look at the HP PBs I have anymore without feeling embarrassed.  And I agree with what KT said, they're certainly doing something right. The quality and how they go about doing things is so much better. And I also realized that Korean things are more accessible here in the States, at least in my area. There are so many Korean stores/restaurants that have been here for years that I'm now just starting to check out.

Also, it not only affected me but the people around me too. I've gotten my half Korean friend to embrace her Korean side even more since she takes her Filipino side mostly (even though she's only a quarter, the other quarter is Japanese. Asian mix FTW! XD). And at one time I've gotten a bunch of my Filipino friends and their families into K-dramas. They used to come to me asking if I have any new dramas on DVD. XD Lastly it helped distract me from personal things when I went through my "I hate everything Japanese" phase the first half of last year.  :roll: I learned to read/write/type Korean during that time.  :D

Offline Jsx

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • mmmm......
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 02:30:46 PM »
From a british born chinese (bbc) prospective, and not really understanding chinese (until 20 when i was fluentish), whenever i listened to chinese music I'd jus listen to the sound and the music with it. Then i got bored with all the ballads and then started to listen to Jpop. Also not understanding the lyrics the transition was easy adn the tunes were unique and different from most music i've heard.

Then later on in my life i heard of hot hyori n was like  :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked for 10minutes !and the beats were good! (stay with my abit long and boring post) I moved to Korea to teach english, THEN WHAM in the country of Kpop Voila I've been turned and the concepts, beats, tunes n everything really grew on me. Especially the catchiness of the tune *cough* and the legs....

Kpop has made me like music more n enjoy the new fads, especially after going to a few concerts, mc mong/epik high/ dream concert.  :pimp:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
The variety of the music
You're kidding right :lol:

Sry I just have a problem with Kpop fans when the only way they can compliment Kpop is by dissing Jpop. No, Jpop isn't any worse just because you don't like it (anymore). It actually kinda makes me respect your opinion less.
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 07:05:32 PM »
I actually pay attention to Jessica  :grin:

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
The variety of the music
You're kidding right :lol:

Sry I just have a problem with Kpop fans when the only way they can compliment Kpop is by dissing Jpop. No, Jpop isn't any worse just because you don't like it (anymore). It actually kinda makes me respect your opinion less.

Well, I guess its the major differences that I notice the most.  I'm not dissing jpop to be malicious or anything like that, in fact I think I've even given some very specific examples of how the industry does things differently, which isn't the fault of the artists themselves.  It just happens to be in the system that they're in.  Would someone like G Dragon have flourished the way he has creatively if he didn't train for 7 or 8 years or whatever under YG?  Would he have wound up an actor or a dancer if he were say, in Johnnys?  Who knows, I certainly don't.  The Jpop and Kpop comparison is easy to make because they're so massive.  People ask me why I don't listen to alot of Filipino music, and the answer is that its hard to find much online.  If it weren't for MochaNutz's Rantastic Voyage on jphip radio, I wouldn't know of a bunch of songs or artists that do rap and hip hop in the Philippines, because those artists don't get the same exposure as the power vocalists like Charice, for example.  Korea has a number of music shows and variety shows that are pretty accessible online, just like in Japan.  (Don't even get me started on Wowowee, one of the biggest shows in the Philippines, and the stuff they've done there, or the dance "talent" on Eat Bulaga, a show I've been watching since the early 80s)  If I like the guests enough, I'll check out the shows they're on.  I still try to catch Music Station, and the MSSL every year, just to check out certain artists that I still love to listen to, and to see what's going on with artists that I may have forgotten about.  I have every full length CD that YUI has released, almost all of Puffy's entire discography, and I had a BLAST watching Morning Musume in concert last summer.  I can't get away from jpop, nor do I want to try.  There's always gonna be new stuff coming out of there that some people will like, and others won't, just like everywhere else.  Maybe its because I'm a 30 year old man who's life has been changing drastically over the past 2 or 3 years career wise, and school wise?  Maybe.  Or, maybe its because Taeyeon's voice is amazing, and 2ne1's live performances are improving week after week in front of our very eyes, and Goo Hara trips over her feet at least once on every episode of Invincible Youth, and Park Jaebum doens't deserve to be ostracized because of a mistake he clearly made back in 2005, or how Hines Ward stomped racism right in the nuts in Korea by earning the respect of Koreans by doing something that no other Korean had done before.  Ok, I'm stretching that one a bit, but the industry as a whole has really REALLY captivated me, and its not because Jpop has changed.  Its actually Kpop, that has changed.  The crap they were putting out in the early 2000s doesn't compare to the stuff being released now.  I know that SNSD and the other girl groups respect SES, but the songs SES put out were really simplistic compared to nowadays.

Anyway, I've rambled on quite a bit here, and I have to get to my lab.  Then off for some hockey.

Offline mrhomiec

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
it's kinda funny, how my first experience with Asian music was BoA's Sara and SES's Cause I'm Your Girl,
then Morning Musume and Hello! Project kicked me into the J-pop phase, now just the last 2 years now,
i find myself back to listening to more and more K-pop.

the only reason i don't listen to as much J-pop as i used to is because i only followed a select few people.
Namie Amuro just came out with an album, but Ayumi Hamasaki, Rip Slyme, Bennie K, FLOW, Orange
Range, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, and more have either gone on vacation or just stopped. everytime
i try to listen to someone new, i don't like any of their stuff.

but K-pop on the other hand, i listen to someone new and i'm hooked almost each time.

edit: i used to make sure that i didn't have as much Korean stuff as Japanese stuff.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:39:55 AM by mrhomiec »

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 06:14:54 AM »
Has made me realized that maybe it isn't too bad to listen to K-pop but maybe I would try to understand more of the language and
maybe continue on to learning
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 06:22:09 AM »
Sry I just have a problem with Kpop fans when the only way they can compliment Kpop is by dissing Jpop. No, Jpop isn't any worse just because you don't like it (anymore).

Interestingly, stuff like THIS is EXACTLY what K-Pop has done to me.

Offline Jsx

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • mmmm......
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
I actually pay attention to Jessica  :grin:

O SNAP BRO! (bbut more Yoona)

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 04:25:35 PM »
Has made me realized that maybe it isn't too bad to listen to K-pop but maybe I would try to understand more of the language and
maybe continue on to learning

are you kidding? how in the world can be bad to listen Korean pop?... mmm so there is people that cares about the language, i certainly don't.

Offline 0508

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 05:05:16 PM »
^ No pay no gay as Fen Jr says or hears I should say. XD
No, actually, that's what Sica said. 8D

It is starting to did overtake my Japanese music in the car. lol
Ditto. Hear you on that Fenbro Sr.

I could go into detail and start rambling about this topic, but I gotta get back to work before I send my engineer to the airport.

What has K-pop done to me?
Answer: It's made me constantly produce gifs that up my perv rep ridiculously.

And butts. Yes, butts.

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Going Under Ground - Graffitti