JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Gospellers - Shin Osaka

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 14227 times)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 06:20:48 PM »
My laptop sort of died last week so needed a new one, purchased a new laptop with Windows 8, really the new computer and the upgrade are taking a while to get used to but the biggest thing I'm missing is the DVD burner the old version had. The new one can play DVDs and burn them but only in the Data format, is there a good free program out there to upgrade my laptop so it will burn regular DVDs? Have checked out a few sites, none of them appear to be so hot and most programs are just the trial versions, does anyone here know of a good program out there?
imgburn:

http://www.imgburn.com/

And vlcplayer (or xbmc) to play DVD's

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 11:30:13 PM »
Thanks, already had image burn, it's good for putting the actual files or zipped version to disc but it doesn't actually make a DVD for viewing. Have tried at least 10 programs so far and can't find one that burns a DVD so you can watch it, very surprising it's been this ahrd considering there must be so many others who have had the same problem, guess I'll just have to keep looking. :(

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 04:03:18 AM »
^
What type of file is it that you're trying to burn to DVD? Like, is it a bunch of VOB files, or maybe an ISO file?

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 08:51:52 PM »
No ISO files, usually .vob or .avi's.... may have found one program that will work, took a couple of tries but was able to finally put some videos on a DVD and it plays so hopefully the solution is found, not a great program but maybe I need to get used to it first, it's called DVDStyler.

Offline kanonfreak

• ecchi
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
Honestly, no one should upgrade to Win 8. That's why they are pricing it so low.

Why would anyone upgrade unless they already have a touch enabled laptop, which already has Win 8.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
No ISO files, usually .vob or .avi's.... may have found one program that will work, took a couple of tries but was able to finally put some videos on a DVD and it plays so hopefully the solution is found, not a great program but maybe I need to get used to it first, it's called DVDStyler.
Ah, you where more looking for a DVD editor then just a DVD burning program.

I previously used the software that came with the capture device, but have used Windows Movie Maker also.
Never really made great looking menu's but that was not the main idea anyway :)

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »
^^ For the most part that's what I was looking for.... didn't want to go up to Windows 8, not that 7 was anything great but it worked well enough for my needs but was sort of stuck as my laptop died out about 10 days ago and you can't get Windows 7 these days, don't think they make it any more.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 07:05:33 AM »
Dear Windows 8 users,

I fully endorse 'StartIsBack.' Purchased it recently and I'm thrilled to have my start button back, charms bars gone, boot to desktop back, and metro UI bypassed. Hell, it even lets me use a custom start menu button AND use windows XP flyout menus! Life is good :D

Go here for details/purchasing if you're interested in something like this:
http://startisback.com/#home-tab

In hindsight this looks like one of those random spam posts... oh well, hahah.

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03:28 AM »
Microsoft drops the Blue codename, confirms Windows 8.1 will be a free upgrade available later this year
By Terrence O'Brien posted May 14th, 2013 at 10:44 AM

One of the worst kept secrets rattling around Microsoft's campus is Windows Blue, the forthcoming update to Windows 8 that addresses users' bugbears about the OS. Now, Microsoft is officially rechristening the platform, and with a more staid name: Windows 8.1. Tami Reller, the CMO and CFO of Microsoft's Windows Division made the big reveal during JP Morgan's Technology, Media & Telecom Conference. The upgrade will be free and available from the home screen when it launches, while a preview version will be opened up to the public on June 26th at the beginning of Build 2013. Unfortunately, Reller wouldn't get any more specific about a formal release date, saying simply that it will be delivered "later in the calendar year." The only clarification she would offer is, "we know when the holidays are."

As anticipated, the Windows 8.1 update will come to both the full version of the OS as well as the ARM-friendly RT. While we haven't officially seen any sub-10-inch slates announced yet, it's been rumored that 8.1 would enable smaller devices. Reller's comments only backed up those expectations, when she suggested that Windows 8 is great for everything from "the smallest tablets" to desktops.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/14/windows-blue-details

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
Windows 8.1 to launch in October
By Ed Bott | August 14, 2013 -- 13:17 GMT (06:17 PDT)

Microsoft today confirmed what had been widely rumored for the past week: Windows 8.1 will be released to the general public in October. Specifically, "starting at 12:00am on October 18th in New Zealand (that’s 4:00am October 17th in Redmond), Windows 8.1 will begin rolling out worldwide as a free update for consumers on Windows 8 through the Windows Store."

Today's announcement indirectly confirms what my sources have also told me, which is that Windows 8.1 has been officially is in escrow, awaiting the final, formal designation that it's been released to manufacturing.

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson says Windows 8.1 has not yet been released to manufacturing. “Development of Windows 8.1 continues to be on track, and we expect to reach the RTM milestone and release Windows to our OEM partners in late August.”

In Microsoft’s partner-driven world, that’s an important milestone. It means the code is on its way to OEMs, who in turn can incorporate it into new hardware designs for shipment this fall. After a year of generally miserable Windows 8 sales, those OEMs could use some good news to drive holiday sales.

The most visible change in Windows 8.1 is the addition of a "boot to desktop" option, as well as significant changes to the Start screen and support for smaller form factors. (For A full list of changes, see:
"Windows 8.1 unveiled: will it change your mind about Windows 8?")

Customers, though, are going to have to wait.

Why the lengthy delay (more than two months) between this milestone and General Availability? I’ve heard some conspiracy theories suggesting that this isn’t the real release and that Microsoft is still furiously swatting bugs between now and an October public release.

The actual reasons, I suspect, are more mundane:

First, hardware makers need time to tweak drivers and utilities for existing devices so that the upgrade process goes more smoothly. That’s crucial for devices that require firmware upgrades to work properly with the new code. On the Windows 8.1 Preview forums, I've read page after page of reports from frustrated Preview users who had either failed upgrades or problems with incompatible devices. OEMs can’t afford widespread issues for customers getting released code.

Second, Microsoft still has work to do on its first-party Windows 8 apps, especially the unified Windows communication suite that incorporates the Mail, People, and Calendar apps.

And finally, those few extra months allow time for some high-profile third-party developers to get on board with Windows 8 apps. Facebook, for example, is still missing in action on the platform.

There will also, of course, be fixes for the official Windows 8.1 code between now and October, released via Windows Update. But the update itself is locked down.

There's no indication in today's consumer announcement of when the Windows 8.1 code will be available for developers on MSDN, nor when the Enterprise edition will be available for general release. I've asked Microsoft for comment and will update this post when I hear back.

Update: Microsoft declined to comment on either of these questions.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-1-to-launch-in-october-7000019387/
OTHER LINK - http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-1-unveiled-will-it-change-your-mind-about-windows-8-7000016112/

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
MICROSOFT RELEASES WINDOWS 8.1, A YEAR IN MAKING
By RYAN NAKASHIMA | Oct. 17, 2013 8:45 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Microsoft released its long-awaited Windows 8.1 upgrade as a free download Thursday. It addresses some of the gripes people have had with Windows 8, the dramatically different operating system that attempts to bridge the divide between tablets and PCs.

Windows 8.1 still features the dual worlds that Windows 8 created when it came out last October. On one hand, it features a touch-enabled tile interface resembling what's found in tablet computers. On the other, there's the old desktop mode where the keyboard and mouse still reign. The update adds some new finger- and gesture-friendly shortcuts for touch-based apps, while restoring some respect for the desktop mode that a billion PC users have become accustomed to.

The release comes as sales of traditional desktop and laptop computers continue to decline because consumers are spending money instead on the latest smartphones and tablets. It also comes at a time of transition for Microsoft as the Redmond, Wash., company focuses on devices and services, not just software. Earlier this month, Microsoft struck a deal to acquire Nokia's phone business and patent rights for more than $7 billion. Microsoft is also searching for a new CEO to replace Steven A. Ballmer, who announced last month that he plans to retire within the next year.

The Window 8.1 update is free for current owners of Windows 8. Downloads started at 7 a.m. Thursday in New York, which corresponded to the start of Friday in New Zealand. Simply go to the Windows Store app to find it. It may take a few hours for updates to reach everyone. Computers with Windows 8.1 already installed will go on sale Friday local time. That's also when people will be able to buy stand-alone copies of Windows 8.1.

The changes range from the cosmetic to improved functionality:

RESTORING RESPECT FOR THE DESKTOP

START ME UP — The Start button is back in desktop mode, although not the way it was before Windows 8 came along. In Windows 7 and before, a click on Start would have brought up programs and important folders in a list. Now, one tap on Start flips you back to the new tile interface, where you can click or tap tiles to open programs. A long press brings up crucial settings such as the Control Panel.

BOOT TO DESKTOP — You can now start up the machine in desktop mode, bypassing the tiles for a short time. That removes some of the headache for companies that want to use Windows 8 but don't want to buy a touch-screen monitor for every employee.

TOUCH AND GESTURE UPDATES

ONSCREEN KEYBOARD SWIPES — The onscreen keyboard now includes the ability to type numbers or punctuation marks by swiping up or away from certain keys on the standard "QWERTY" layout, eliminating the need to toggle between numeric and alphabetic layouts. You can also select from suggested words mid-stream using side swipes and taps on the virtual spacebar.

GESTURE-ENABLED APPS — You can now wave in the air in front of the front-facing camera to get a response. For example, in the new app Bing Food & Drink, a right-to-left wave in "Hands Free Mode" flips through pages of a recipe.

QUICKER TILE ORGANIZING — You can tap and hold Windows tiles with your finger to move them. Another couple taps will allow you to resize them in one of four sizes. In the previous version, you had to go back to the mouse or touchpad and right-click on tiles to do this, and you were limited to two sizes.

EASIER APPS ACCESS — Finding all your apps takes just a swipe up on your start screen, as long as you don't do it from beyond the bottom edge. Before, you had to swipe up from the bottom edge, then tap on the All Apps button.

SMALL CONVENIENCES

AUTOMATIC UPDATES — Apps update in the background, replacing the constant reminders to go to the Windows Store to update the apps yourself.

SMALLER TABLETS — Windows 8.1 now has a home screen that looks good in portrait mode on screens measuring 7 inches to 8 inches diagonally.

LOCK SCREEN ACCESS — You can now answer Skype calls or take photos from the lock screen without having to log in. Just swipe down. You can also set other apps like Twitter to send notifications when the screen is locked.

FUNCTIONAL CHANGES

BETTER MULTITASKING — In Windows 8.1, you can run up to four apps at once side by side, double the previous amount, though you need a large, high-resolution monitor to do so (On their own, Microsoft's Surface tablets are not big enough for more than two). You can resize panes using a slider that moves side to side, instead of being limited to one larger window and one slender one. This is still not as capable as Windows 7 or in desktop mode, where you can open dozens of items in windows that can be resized horizontally, vertically and diagonally. And many app makers have yet to adapt, meaning some apps still appear as a thin sliver, even if you want them to take up half the screen.

GLOBAL SEARCH — Typing while on the tile-based start screen will pull up multiple search results — if applicable — from your computer, the Web and the Windows app store. If you're searching for a musician, you'll see a list of popular songs you can play using Xbox Music, and if it's someone famous (like President Barack Obama) you'll see biographical details, videos and other information. Before, you had to choose where to search: in apps, settings, computer files or on the Internet.

EMAIL UPDATE — The standard-issue Mail app now has a "power pane" on left-hand side with folders for updates from social networks like Facebook, messages from favorite contacts and newsletters. Some of these features work only with Microsoft accounts such as Hotmail and Outlook.com, though. A new "sweep" command deletes multiple messages with a couple taps.

BETTER BROWSING — No longer are you limited to 10 open tabs in the tile version of Internet Explorer. Before, Web pages automatically closed without prompts when you try to open more. You can open as many as you want now. Better yet, you can have two different websites displayed side by side, the way you've long been able to before Windows 8 came along.

FUN STUFF

XBOX MUSIC REFRESH — The music streaming app now optimizes playback over discovery with a layout that has more lists and smaller photos. It also adds the ability to create playlists from any website with a couple taps. When on a website featuring artists, swipe in from the right edge and tap the Share button followed by the Music button. It will create a song playlist based on those artists, which you can then stream for free.

PICTURE EDITING — A picture editor with pre-set effects comes with the update, allowing for photo touchups, cropping, contrast changes and other features.

XBOX ONE INTEGRATION — You can pick up where you left off if you start playing a video purchased on Xbox Video on a tablet and then watch the rest on Microsoft's upcoming game console, Xbox One.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://bigstory.ap.org/article/microsoft-releases-windows-81-year-making

EDIT: another link outlining some of the changes to expect with the update.
Windows 8.1 – everything you need to know
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:30:13 PM by JFC »

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 12:52:34 AM »
Downloading my copy now. :)

Not many changes I'll use since I don't have touch or use MS apps.

Performance is better: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1434014?

By 0.5% over my previous Windows 8 score.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:00:02 PM by Asmodai »

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 07:57:46 AM »
Upgraded two tablets now (ACER W3 and W510) download and install went smooth but they had some problems with resume from 'connected standby'.
It looks like the Intel (video) drivers needed an update which is available and probably will install at some point automatically but a check-for-updates and install did it also.

Still like the fact I can run full Office on a 7" screen directly on the machine :), might go for a W4 when it is available.

Offline SanyuMiyazaki

• Now 5% less new!
  • GASP!
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 06:48:43 AM »
Upgraded to 8.1 a few days ago. On the plus side, it's working a lot better than 8 did. However, there's still some problems it has, though that may be because it's a refurbished laptop rather than the OS itself...

Offline zi4an3

• ecchi
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
lol i'm contemplating whether to get win8 but with all the complaints and 8.1 upgrade what-not, i'm guessing i'll wait until it's like 8.5 or something before doing that. :p

Offline galaxy_star

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 07:08:11 AM »
metro is annoying....
seven is preferable....
xp is good enough for me....

Offline geraldwhite

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »
win 8 doesn't really attracts me, very slow one

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Gospellers - Shin Osaka