JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: AKB48 - Kishi ga mieru umi kara

Author Topic: [CHI] Karen Mok  (Read 27033 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[CHI] Karen Mok
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:21:09 AM »
Karen Mok Man-Wai 莫文蔚

Karen Joy Morris, known more commonly in the Sinosphere as Karen Mok or Mok Man-Wai , is a two-time Golden Melody Award-winning Hong Kong-based actress and singer-songwriter. Star of such hot movies as "Viva Erotica" "God of Cookery" and "Black Mask"

Birth name Karen Joy Morris
Origin Hong Kong
Born June 2, 1970 (1970-06-02) in Hong Kong
Occupation singer, actress, composer, producer, designer
Genre(s) Cantopop, C-Rock, Alternative pop, Pop rock
Instrument(s) Piano, Oboe, Gu Zheng

Links
IMDB
Wikipedia
Official Site

Filmography
Family Affairs (1994)
Chinese Odyssey Part 1 (1995)
Chinese Odyssey Part 2 (1995)
Heaven Can't Wait (1995)
Out of the Dark (1995)
Fallen Angels (1995)
Sexy and Dangerous (1996)
Young and Dangerous 3 (1996)
Those were the Days (1996)[1] 
Best of the Best (1996)
Black Mask (1996)
Viva Erotica (1996)
4 Faces of Eve (1996)
The God of Cookery (1996)
Young and Dangerous 4 (1997)
Lawyer, Lawyer (1997) 
Kitchen (1997)
Task Force (1997)
First Love: the Litter on the Breeze (1997)
King of Comedy (1999)
Tempting Heart (1999)
Roaring Wheels (2000)
The Teacher Without Chalk (2000)[cameo]
Dragon Heat (2000)
Goodbye Mr. Cool (2001)
Shaolin Soccer (2001)[cameo]
La Brassiere (2001)[cameo]
All the Way (CHINA 2001)
The Irresistible Piggies (2002)
Haunted Office (2002)
So Close (2002)
The Twins Effect (2003)[cameo]
Red Snow (CHINA 2003)
Enter the Phoenix (2004)
Around the World in 80 Days (USA 2004)
Dragonblade (2005)[voice only]
Wait 'Til You're Older (2005)
Mr. Cinema (2007)
Lost, Indulgence (2008)

Some interviews...
Karen Mok, the protean celebrity

Here's her new shampoo ad :9

http://www.clearad.com.cn/glamour/?t=3

and some tunes. Check out the new album:

莫文蔚 Karen Mok - 回蔚 Aftertaste (Digital Album)

Release :2009年06月30日

01. 打起手鼓唱起歌
02. 青山在
03. 在那遙遠的地方
04. 外面的世界
05. 月圓花好
06. 風從那裡來
07. 半個月亮爬上來
08. 溜溜的情歌
09. 茉莉花
10. 紅
11. 密流
12. 密流(Remix)

DOWNLOAD
<insert>

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: [CHI] Karen Mok
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »
Hot Lesbian Action!

So hot in "So Close"

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:15:35 PM »
Karen's pretty awesome, I'm especially diggin' her English accent :wub:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:53:02 AM »
Karen Mok was named the most stylish female singers from Hong Kong at the 2009 MTV Awards and Style Gala in Shanghai Grand Theatre on Wednesday, December 2, 2009. [Photo: CFP/CRIonline]

Remember her from Young & Dangerous? she totally was like pretending to be the English educated priest daughter lol - around 3:45 here:

Young And Dangerous 3 Part 2 of 10

she and Jordan Chan go at it XD

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »
Singer songwriter Karen Mok's upcoming concert, The Original Karen Mok Show, was held in Beijing on December 11th at the Worker's Stadium. The international star's self-directed concert features more than 30 of her most popular songs and her own elaborate styling and staging. Among the audience were Taiwan musician Jonathan Lee (Li Zongsheng), famous producer Zhang Yadong and young director Ning Hao and Xu Jinglei. [Photo: CRIonline]

YOW  :fap

She blabs about being excited to be on tour:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:46:43 AM »
check her out in the Chinese romantic film "Go Lala Go!", adapted from the best-selling novel "Du Lala's Promotion", opens in China on April 15, 2010.
http://english.cri.cn/3126/2010/03/11/Zt1261s555765.htm

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
"Baby", the First Track from Karen Mok's Latest Album Released   
2010-07-27 15:12:49     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: yangliu

The music video of the title track "Baby" was just released on July 27.
莫文蔚 宝贝 - 视频 - 优酷视频 - 在线观看

Composed by Karen Mok and penned by Zhang Yadong, the title track from the new album is a song titled "Baby", expressing the singer's yearning that we all should cherish the babies we possess.

Hong Kong-based singer-songwriter Karen Mok is going to wow her fans with the upcoming album "Baby" this summer. The music video of the title track "Baby", which was made by Mok herself and China's top music producer Zhang Yadong, was just released on July 27.

The music video was shot on the outskirts of Cairns, Queensland, Australia. The simple scenes express the singer's yearning that we all should cherish the babies we possess.

Mok composed all 10 songs on this new album, which has cost more than one million HK dollars - despite the downturn in the music industry. Meanwhile, it is also sponsored by the Queensland Tourist and Travel Corporation. She went to Queensland for one week and shot 6 music videos and the cover photo.

new album?!

莫文蔚 - 寶貝 Bao Bei

Release: 2010-07-23

01.寶貝
02.Good Bye
03.獨一無二
04.執子之手
05.洗澡時唱的歌
06.飲食男女
07.完美孤獨
08.艾美麗愛美麗
09.耳朵要解渴
10.沒有圍牆的世界

DOWNLOAD

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 04:04:01 AM »
Karen dresses in black lace for a series of fashion magazine photos. The magazine has decided that the theme of this issue is the independent, optimistic, and confident perfect single woman. Karen Mok broke up with long-time boyfriend, local star Stephen Fung, in 2007. Since then, Mok has never admitted to being involved in any relationship. She said that right now she only wanted to do things she can control, like singing, performing, and designing her own perfume and lingerie. [Photo: Sina.com.cn]

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 05:23:48 AM »
Karen Mok Talks about New Album    
2010-11-09 11:44:22     China Daily       Web Editor: Xie Tingting

In "Precious", Karen Mok sings about being alone in a hotel room, which made fans think she was lonely and sad. Not so.

As she sinks into a red sofa Karen Mok gracefully raises her slim legs and places one hand on her waist, showing off her trademark wide smile. Being a model is second nature to her, as she poses in the narrow corridor of her record company office, dressed in black jeans and a see-through shirt.

"Is that good? I feel great as long as I'm in heels," giggles the singer-actress.

Best known for her Barbie-doll figure, deep, bewitching voice and changing styles, it's this sort of playful attitude that typifies the petite celebrity.

Mok isn't the kind of star, however, who says yes to everything. For instance, a photographer wanted to take a picture of her in a gray jacket, but she refused.

"You know, the jacket is just for keeping warm and not for photos," she told him.

Twenty-four hours earlier, she had flow out from a job in Singapore and shown up in an open square in Beijing. Dressed in a short pink skirt and a pair of lace stockings in the same color, despite the low temperature, Mok pleased her screaming fans.

And after rounds of interviews and videotaping, she was still cheerful.

The two-time Golden Melody Award winner has just released "Precious", an album for which she wrote all the music. Zhang Yadong, the so-called godfather of mainland pop behind several of Faye Wong's best-selling albums, is the producer.

The album was born when Zhang handed her the lyrics of "Bao Bei" ("Precious", the title song of the album), and Mok decided to write the melody.

"Zhang had never written lyrics before. It just happened and things went on from there," Mok says.

She quickly finished the melody and then the other nine songs.

"I just recorded the melody when it popped in my mind, either on my cell phone or I wrote it down. It was a fresh experience and I love new challenges."

A productive singer-actress with more than 50 movies and 20 albums under her belt, a trend-setter who has her own fragrance label and fashion chain in Asia, Mok has a peculiar effect on both men and women. And frankly, at the age of 40, she still has it.

"For some reason, men call me sexy and women don't see me as an enemy. And I am happy with that," she jokes.

Her desire to be an actress dates back to when she was 5 years old and saw a TV program with lots of artists performing.

"I didn't dare tell my parents because they wanted me to become a doctor or a lawyer," she recalls. "But I made my plan secretly."

After spending time living in Italy and London as a kid, Mok was influenced by a wide range of music, from classic to alternative rock. She also learned dancing, piano and the guzheng, a traditional Chinese zither.

"Every time I get to jump up and down and scream at the top of my lungs and dance around on the stage, I feel like I have so much energy I can never use it up," she says.

Since she started in Hong Kong showbiz, in 1993, starring in her first movie and releasing her debut album, she has never stopped offering surprises, "for the fans and also for myself."

She shaved her hair and starred in director Wong Kar-Wai's award-winning movie, "Fallen Angels", in 1996, which won her Best Supporting Actress award at the Hong Kong Film Awards.

When she got a role in director Stephen Chow's production, "God of Cookery", in 1997, she had chicken feathers all over her short hair and a mouth full of yellow teeth. That role won her the Best Actress nomination at Taiwan's Golden Horse Awards.

"It is really fun to try so many different roles and images," she says. "I was unhappy when some critics doubted that this was just for media attention. I have made a lot of effort, why put me down in this way?"

"But I am fine with that. Working in the spotlight means having both good and bad reviews. I just want to be myself and do my job, which makes me happy," she adds.

In 2004, she played a role in the Hollywood movie, "Around the World in 80 Days", starring Jackie Chan. She also played the lead role in the small-budget art-house movie, "Lost Indulgence", in 2008.

While other musicians show off their bodies to promote their albums or follow Western trends to combat declining record sales, Mok took a gamble by releasing her 10-song album, "Hui Wei", or "Retaste", in digital form, through a mobile network, on the mainland last year.

The album of updated traditional Chinese folk songs and oldies dating back to the 1940s and 1950s, has been downloaded 2 million times since its release.

"The positive response from the fans means so much to me. It makes me feel my efforts have paid off," she says.

"That's why I keep on singing and holding concerts. I can see people's reactions immediately and I really look forward to that kind of self-achievement."

A self-described workaholic, Mok portrayed a tyrannical executive in last year's popular movie, "Go Lala Go!" and media gave her a new title, "golden" sheng nv (single and in their late 20s or over 30).

"In that case, I like the word 'golden' because it means women who are intelligent and beautiful," she laughs.

The singer has been enjoying her single life after ending a nine-year relationship with actor-director Stephen Fung, in 2007.

"We run into each other at some events and we are still good friends. He knows me well after all those years together. It's really unnecessary to have my ex-boyfriends become strangers after breaking up," she says.

On the new album, she sings about being alone in a hotel room, going shopping and eating, which made fans think she was sad and lonely. Not so, Mok says.

"Being single is wonderful and I love it. Your life is complete anyway. You can be happy no matter if you're by yourself or with someone. When that happens, I will congratulate that lucky person on finding me.

"I am a human being, and I have flaws. I think some men will find the focus and energy with which I pursue my career frightening.

"But performing is what I live for. Of course, one's life is incomplete without love, but I believe you don't need to go out and hunt for true love - that person will come to you naturally."

By Chen Nan

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:57:00 AM »
Gotta love Karen :lol:

Karen Mok Catches All The Attention

The night before yesterday, Karen Mok attended an award ceremony held in Beijing. Other than than receiving the Gold Song award for her song "Baby", she and Jay Chou each received "Most Popular Male/Female Singer" award. Receiving the award from Chyi Chin and Mo Ah Mun, Karen excitedly said, "Jay Chou said he'll be writing a song for me, so the fans are should be looking forward to it!"

Dressed beautifully, Karen, who was wearing a two meter long black dress, walks along the red carpet, catches all the attention. She then changed into a a suit matching her fishnet stockings, showing off her sexy legs. In such a cold weather, she was dressed very sexily.

Source: On.cc.
Translator: yvonneleung

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 10:22:02 AM »
FUCK!! A MUST SEE!

Mandopop Divas Join Hands for 'Perfect' Concert    
2011-06-30 15:55:48     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: Xie Tingting

Four top songstresses of Mandopop will join forces to present a "perfect" concert in Beijing.

The concert, which has been titled "Perfect", will feature A-mei, Stefanie Sun, Sandy Lam and Karen Mok, who will give fans a treat performing their popular songs on July 16 at Beijing Workers' Stadium.

The pop divas will be joined by two male guest performers, singers Li Jian and Hins Cheung.

"Perfect" Concert
Time: 7:30 p.m., July 16, 2011, Saturday
Venue: Workers' Stadium, Beijing
Performers: A-mei, Stefanie Sun, Sandy Lam, Karen Mok
Guest performers: Li Jian, Hins Cheung
Tickets: 180 - 1,680 yuan
Tel: (86 10) 8408 5551/400 810 1887

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 08:00:14 AM »
You JUST GOTTA BELIEVE!

Karen Mok Gives Hope to Single Women     
2011-07-18 11:06:49     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: Xie Tingting

Actress-singer Karen Mok has offered her fans reassurance that it is never too late to find love.

Mok made the comments shortly after she performed her well-known hit "The outside World" at the "Perfect" concert in Beijing on Saturday, July 16.

"I had been a single lady myself for so many years now, and I know how it feels. But as long as you believe in love, the day is bound to come when your true love will find you. So don't be scared."

Mok, 41, announced she will tie the knot with her German first love last month after she accepted the award for best female singer at the 22nd Golden Melody Awards ceremony in Taipei.

The "Perfect" concert has seen four popular singers performing their hits, namely A-mei, Stefanie Sun, Sandy Lam and Karen Mok.

Edited by Shen Chengcheng

some new song?

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »
SHIT! she going Hollywood! :w00t:

Karen Mok Is Keanu Reeves' Tai Chi Girl    
2011-12-19 13:01:29     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: Xie Tingting

Singer-actress Karen Mok has been announced as the female lead of Keanu Reeves' directorial debut "Man of Tai Chi", according to Mtime.com.

Mok will play a police officer in the movie.

The casting progress has lasted for a few months in China. A number of top Chinese actresses were rumored to be joining the movie including Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, Liu Yifei and Huang Shengyi.

Previous reports have indicated that Chen Hu, the kung fu coach for Reeves, will play the lead role. Reeves will play opposite him as a villain.

"Man of Tai Chi" is a modern kung fu flick with a tai chi twist. China Film Group, Village Roadshow Asia, Wanda Media and Universal Pictures will co-produce the movie. Universal Pictures will be in charge of its release in North America.

The movie is expected to start shooting in February in Beijing.

By Chen Nan

Last time I saw her, she was doing some dumb spoof movie with Eason Chan :lol:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »
Happy YEAR OF THE DRAGON!

also on the cover of Prestige

via : http://dailynews.sina.com/bg/ent/hktwstar/sinacn/20120131/15583106333.html

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 02:24:46 AM »

Karen mok interv iew

where's the mercedes to take us home?

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 06:12:48 AM »
Geat interview at Time Out HK!! she is one of the most unique artists in Asia http://www.timeout.com.hk/feature-stories/features/53116/style-icon-karen-mok.html

Style Icon Karen Mok
Posted: 12 Sep 2012

Karen Mok has been breaking the mould for what a Chinese celebrity should be for years. The fashion muse, actress, singer-songwriter and newlywed sits down with Janice Jann to dissect her unconventional appeal and approach to life. Portraits by Calvin Sit

Since Karen Mok burst on to Hong Kong’s entertainment scene in the early 90s, she’s never really fit the mould of a typical Cantopop starlet. “At the very beginning, when I first started in show-business, everything was more conservative,” recalls the 42-year-old actress and singer-songwriter. “I was literally forced to wear some really ‘princessy’ outfits. That was kind of the way everyone did it. We did that for a split second but then even the studio figured that it didn’t really suit me.”

Since those early days, Mok, who is of Chinese, Welsh, Iranian and German descent, has gone on to etch out a strong public image
 as a fun-loving free-spirit who is just as comfortable rolling around in a thigh-high suede mini-dress while sporting voluminous curls in a photo shoot as she is playing a gold-plated, buck-toothed, lazy-eyed sidekick (as she did opposite Stephen Chow in 1996’s God of Cookery). Mok’s unconventionality has paid off as her film and music careers have skyrocketed over the years – and the entertainer has raked in nominations, awards and accolades (including three Golden Melody Awards from Taiwan and a Hong Kong Film Award for her role in 1996’s Fallen Angel).

And fans of the entertainment industry aren’t the only ones who adore Mok. Single women view her as the cute-girl-next-door they can relate to. Straight men think she’s one sexy badass who’s at home hanging out with the guys. Gay men love her charming on-stage persona. Designers call her their ‘muse’ and all sorts of leading brands want her to represent them.

So what is it? Is it those legs – long, lean and tanned? Is it that voice – deep, throaty and husky with a British twang? Or is it the laugh –
 a hearty chuckle that shows off her dimples and beaming smile? What exactly is this appeal that has created a 20-plus-year career which is still going strong? In between wrapping up her new film, the Keenu Reeves-helmed Man of Tai Chi, which is released next year, and prepping up her forthcoming new album, Mok glams up and sits down with Time Out to help us get to the bottom of what makes up this unconventional ‘Mok factor’.

When we discussed who we would love to be our cover star for this ‘style issue’, Karen Mok was firmly at the top of the list. Seriously.
 Good choice! [Laughs]

How do you feel about being called a fashionista?
 I have no idea why people call me that. I don’t really think so much about it. I think the way to do it is not to follow the so-called trends. Because then you’re just copying what others dictate. Having your own style is very important. Be yourself and wear something that makes you shine. That will make you stand out and not look like everyone else on the street. I always do what I feel like. I don’t follow what everyone else tells me to do.

Can you help us define this ‘Mok factor’?
 I think it’s based partly on my own personality. I just enjoy trying things out which appear to be fun. I like to be adventurous in fashion. I encourage people to try things out and not be timid because they think ‘ooh, no-one else has worn it’. Whatever! Fashion should be fun. It should be whatever takes your fancy. It’s only when you try something out that you know if it suits you.

Any fun fashion memories?
 Oh my goodness! So many! Especially during my university days in London. In London, nobody cares what you wear. You see all sorts of people dressed in all sorts of ways. And I used to grab all of my mum’s old qipaos. She had tons of them. She was always wearing all sorts of qipaos and I would be fascinated by them because they were so beautiful. Sometimes I would cut them short and turn them into mini-qipaos. That was blasphemy for my mum. Or I would wear funky Doc Martens boots with them. I like that sort of style. It’s unpredictable when you put different things together to create a contrast.

Your good friend Johanna Ho has said this: “The reason I say Karen’s my muse is not just her look or her body, it’s her character – and that reflects my theory of design.” Would you agree with her?
 Yes, it’s got a lot to do with your personality. You’re a person, not a mannequin. You have to wear things that suit you and not just hang different things on your body.

Why do you think designers and labels want to work with you?
 Maybe it’s the different things I’ve done and the image I’ve put out to people.

Was this a conscious effort to put a certain type of image out to people?
 To me, the big thing to do is to have fun. So, from the songs I sing to the clothes I wear, I get to have fun doing it. If it’s not fun, I can’t be bothered. [Laughs]

A major point on fashion is that it’s about self-expression, as with music. What’s the relation between your fashion and your music?
 Everything’s part of the act on stage. Depending on what you wear and how you carry yourself, when it becomes a bit more complicated, everything just has to fall into place. If you’re doing a sensual dance, you have to dress sensually to go into it. Everything counts just so you can create one atmosphere.

How much input do you have in expressing that image to the public?
 [I get] full input. It’s difficult to separate into categories. Everything’s intertwined. You have to figure out everything here [points to head] in one go. Ever since I started doing my own concerts, I’ve been the person behind the creative process.

A lot of people say Hong Kong’s music industry is packaged and systematic. Have you ever had any conflicts with this idea and your style?
 I’ve been really quite lucky. [A packaged, systematic approach] was only at the beginning and we quickly scrapped that. You can tell that
 if something wasn’t working, there was no way you could force it down my throat. After they
 tried to set me up in this princess image, I completely went the other way. It was during the time of the grunge look and I went completely 180-degrees in these platform heels and big necklaces and no-one dressed like that in Hong Kong at the time. When I walked down the street, people would literally be gawking at me like ‘where did that come from?’ But I had fun. I
 stood out. You have to stand out – especially in show-business.

So what stage in your evolution are you at now?
 My next big project is my first English album and it’s jazz. This has been my dream for as long as I can remember. Our take on this jazz album is to also retain our Chinese identity. So we have some Chinese elements in the album. I play the guzheng and we put that in as well. It’s a completely new sound we’re trying to create. I don’t think there’s ever been the use of Chinese instruments to play jazz and this is experimental and fun. I’m always trying to do something that’s different and has an element of surprise. I think that’s important. Give something new to the audience. So, image-wise, I’m also going to play around with these different elements. I’ve always had these visions of myself in qipaos. That’s my favourite attire…

Really?
 Yes! Every time I go to concerts or go to a really important event, I make sure I feature the qipao. This time around, I think dressing in the qipao and doing jazz music – that’s very sexy.

How do you plan on promoting your jazz album? Will you be doing more intimate performances?
 Yes, definitely, as well as performing in jazz festivals all over the world. I’m really excited to reach these new places and audiences.

A lot of artists have felt they’ve had to turn to the Mainland or Taiwan to be more experimental. Have you ever had to do that?
 I’ve been really lucky branching out to different markets and territories very early on in my career. Taiwan and Mainland China are bigger markets so they embrace more versatility. Hong Kong is still quite conservative. But now, with this jazz and English album, we’d like to bring it to a bigger audience. To the world. [Giggles]

In addition to music, you’ve also just finished filming Keanu Reeves’ first directorial feature, Man of Tai Chi. What was it like working
 with Keanu?

It was like a dream!

Did you ever have any hesitancy because he’s never directed before?
 Me? Hesitate? No way! It was like, yes! Bring it on! It’s cool because he’s amazing as an actor and so good-looking as well.

That doesn’t hurt.
 Yeah, that doesn’t hurt. And he’s an ultra-nice guy on top of all that so it’s exciting he’s going into directing as well. It’s quite a challenge because [this film is] a Hollywood production but it’s being shot in China and the script is in English, Cantonese and Mandarin. And, of course, he works with a lot of the crew that are from this part of the world. [This production is] a hybrid. Of course, when you fuse different elements and style, that’s when you create something new and I’m really proud to be a part of it.

What kind of directing style are you drawn to personally?
 It’s actually quite nice working with actors-turned-directors because they’re actors themselves so they think from the angle of actors. It’s probably just more direct when you communicate with someone who’s also an actor. Working with Keanu, he would bring in acting methods from Hollywood so it would be like ‘wow, masterclass! Drama class with him!’

Speaking of actors and directors, your film collaborations with Stephen Chow have been very notable. He’s someone you’ve said you would take any roles for if he directed. Any chance of that happening in the near future?
 Of course. I’ve learned so much from him in the films we’ve worked on together. It was very early on in my acting career and it was great – everything was new and I just had so much input from someone as great as him. I’m glad to have had those experiences. But then he hasn’t been putting out much work recently, so we’ll see…

What was the atmosphere like on set with him?
 It was fun but also challenging because he’s very demanding. But it’s good to sort of have this pressure because it helps you get better.

But what’s more challenging for you?
 I really enjoy comedy. It’s fun and, you know, it’s not easy to make someone laugh. It’s actually quite difficult. You’ve really got to nail it.

You’ve never been afraid to play the ugly girl. What do you think that says about your definition of beauty?
 I think if you’re confident in yourself then nothing will come off as a worry. Especially in movies – you’re not playing yourself. If it requires you to play ugly or weird, you do it. I never worry about playing ugly roles because you don’t actually become that character. It’s great because you can play a zillion characters and live their lives.

In an industry which keeps pushing different ideas of what is beautiful, how do you stay true to yourself and your own definition of beauty?
 You just have to believe in yourself. Everyone else has a different opinion so who are you going to believe? If you listen to everyone, you’ll just go crazy and end up losing yourself.

Did you realise that early on in your career?
 I think I’ve always been like that. Partly with the way I’ve been brought up and my surroundings. I think that’s been very helpful. It’s inherent in me. I think, in every industry, you have to be confident. Especially in show-business, we’re constantly in front of other people and prone to criticism, so you just have to know what you’re doing.

In terms of not listening to what others say and following your own will, you’ve been like that in your personal life as well, marrying at a later age and to your first love, no less. Why did you even bother with marriage?
 It’s just one of those things where it happened and you just know. It’s impossible to plan. I believe in fate especially when it comes to love. This whole business of meeting my first love again and finally getting back together after all these years, it’s like something out of the
 movies. Like, give me a break, you can’t be serious. But when it actually happens to you… well… I’m really lucky. When an opportunity comes, you mustn’t take it for granted. Just seize the occasion.

This unconventional route to marriage could inspire others. Do you have any advice for young women who are trying to find a balance between their career and getting married?
 You really have to trust your gut feeling. You just have to do what feels right to you because if you don’t, then whatever else you do will probably leave you with regrets. If you feel strongly about something, then do it. Don’t not do it and regret it later. That’s the worst. When you look back when you’re 50 and go ‘oh, I should have… blah blah blah’. Especially when you’re young. You can actually afford to make mistakes.

What’s your living situation like right now?
 It’s actually a very challenging setup right now. He’s based in London so our home is, in theory, London but I have to spend a lot of time in this part of the world because my career is very important to me. It just means I’m doing a lot of long-haul flights going back and forth –
 but I just have to balance my life in a more efficient way.

Well, those long-haul flights don’t show. You look great! What’s your beauty secret?
 To be happy. Of course you can do creams and all that stuff but the main thing is to be happy.

Are you happy right now?
 Yeah! I think I’m happier than I’ve ever been. This whole getting married thing [laughs], it feels like there’s someone I could really rely on. Of course, I’ve got a great family who are always there and I can always rely on them – but finding a partner for life who keeps you grounded and gives you more power to go out and do your thing. That makes me so happy.

And you have a great relationship with your husband’s kids. Do you see yourself having kids any time soon?
 I’m not interested in being a mum. At all. [Laughs] So no. No actual plans in that department.

You’ve mentioned before that you haven’t reached your peak yet. Are you there now?
 I think I’ll always say that because once you reach this peak you’ll see ‘oh there’s another peak up there’.

What’s the next peak right now?
 I always feel like I could better myself and be more perfect. I could always raise the bar higher. That’s probably what keeps me going and gives me the strength to keep doing my stuff. Maybe one day I’ll find that I’ve done everything I’ve ever wanted to achieve. That’s great. Maybe one day I’ll stop doing all of this and just go away somewhere. Maybe that day might come but I’ll just know it when the time comes. As of now, I’m still loving this, so I’ll keep doing it.

Karen Mok shot exclusively for Time Out Hong Kong at 101 Sight Chai Wan on September 3

Photographer Calvin Sit

Art Director Jeroen Brulez

Stylist Janice Jann

Hair Carr Cheng @ P.O.P Hairdressing

Assistant Kerry Wong @ Zing The Makeup School

Wardrobe Versace

and peep this CM slick GM product.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
Happy Year of the SNAKE! From Karen Mok!

on the cover of bazaar :fap

dropping a new album. so jazzy with tons of covers, shows off her english voice.

LISTEN TO IT!!!

Somewhere I belong - 莫文蔚 18 Jan 2013

release:2013/1/18

tracklist
01. Love For Sale
02. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
03. My Funny Valentine
04. 傾國傾城(國)
05. Wicked Games
06. Stormy Weather
07. Sour Times
08. A Fine Romance
09. The Man I Love
10. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
11. Moon Over Bourbon Street
12. 夜上海(國)

DVD comes with "Somewhere I Belong" documentary
DOWNLOAD

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
she be at the Leslie Cheung 10th Anniversary tribute concert:

Leslie Cheung treated Karen Mok like a niece. dem at his 1997 Concert.

co-starring in Viva Erotica

Karen Mok Man Wai: Gor Gor taught me to be on the stage four words, "slutty, pretty, cool, mean". Last night I not only achieved "pretty" but added "wow"! This dress was hand sewn with nearly 1,000 butterfly shaped colorful plastic, each one was filled with my memory of Uncle Leslie. Last night I ran into his voice again at the HKC...

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: AKB48 - Kishi ga mieru umi kara