JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hello Venus - Winter Fantasy

Author Topic: Tokyo Idol Festival 2013 & travel discussion  (Read 11893 times)

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
Tokyo Idol Festival 2013 & travel discussion
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
If mods want to move this, I don't really know where it belongs, but I wanted to have a place where we could talk back and forth about this. They just released the first announcement for TIF this year and the website is up:

http://www.idolfes.com/2013/index.html

I am actually thinking of making a trip to Japan for the first time in about 10 years for the festival this year, and I'm wondering if any of the other Idolingers here were planning to go or have gone in the past. I was thinking maybe some of us overseas fans who don't live in Japan could get together to discuss the trip, maybe some general tips for housing/travel/etc. in Japan, since its been a long time since I went there, and a lot of you guys seem to go more often.

Some of the major questions I have:

How do you get tickets? How much do they cost?

Is it general amission where you just go wherever you want on the grounds?

Do you guys have suggestions for housing or an area to stay in, and do you guys often get together to chip in for a place to stay when you go on trips? Do you stay close to the area of the festival or travel there each day?

Is there a cheaper airport to fly into in Japan? Tokyo airport prices are EXTREMELY high.

I guess you guys may not be able to help as much on the airline part of it, since most of you don't depart from the US, but as far as the travel inside Japan, I'm sure you guys could help.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but I'd like to start some discussion and see who else might be going this year. Please discuss!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:25:45 PM by AEUGNewtype »

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
Re: Tokyo Idol Festival 2013 & travel discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »
Good topic!

Unlike you I have never been to Japan, I want to go too this year but I'm still weighing on the financial matter. LOL!

I think hellguard or Hatix has gone to TIF? I'm not really sure who but I think one of them already went.. So they probably know how much is the ticket for that.
As far as I can remember chatting with some people from this forum, most of them stayed in hostels since it's cheaper.
Unless you are going with your family it's best to get a hotel.

I think flights are cheaper if you're not arriving at Tokyo. A flight round trip from my country at promo rate to Osaka is only 300 USD. I doubt that's going to last long since July is already near. But Osaka is a 6 hour trip if you're not riding the fast train.
From what I've googled the train costs 100 USD one way. LOL! But there are cheaper ways to go to Tokyo.

Rurika9 is definitely going this year to TIF from the last time I chatted with him, I think he's staying in Tokyo though.

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
Welp, looks like I'm changing my flight dates... :bleed eyes:
Seriously! Consecutively, hasn't TIF happened in August?!

As for how I'm getting my tickets, I'm having my friend buy them through whatever the standard process is. Then I'll pay her when I get there.

But tbh, depending on the price to change my flight. I may not even get to go now... :cry:

I don't know man, the date on the site says July.  XD That is too bad for you bro, changing flight dates really costs a lot. Ouch...
When is your flight schedule in August though? You can still go to Nicohachis/Shibuhachis or whatever place LOL

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
From what I've googled the train costs 100 USD one way. LOL! But there are cheaper ways to go to Tokyo.

Yikes...That's terrible. So expensive for a train, you'd be better off just probably flying into Tokyo or another nearby area and finding some other form of transport.

It makes me want to cry reading prices like $300 for airfare.  The cheapest airfare I've found from the US is $1400  :bleed eyes: :cry: :(

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »
Augnewtype
Yeah expensive ass train!! But that's like the bullet train so it would be an experience too? LOL!
Are you sure $1,400? and that is going to Tokyo already? From my country to Tokyo would be $800.
Thing is I don't know how much hostels cost in Tokyo or in Osaka and I don't have a lot of money.  XD

rurika9 You really plan to go to TIF? How much a night in a capsule hotel?

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »
^Yeah, I really want to go, for the experience of it.
Well some capsule hotels can cost like £15 a night, that's what I was quoted the other day.

That's in Tokyo already? One bedroom? That's pretty cheap, man now I'm really thinking about going.  XD

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
Are you sure $1,400? and that is going to Tokyo already? From my country to Tokyo would be $800.

Yes, $1410 is the cheapest round trip flight going into Tokyo for any of the days around the TIF. One way is about $700-750 each.

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

Yes, $1410 is the cheapest round trip flight going into Tokyo for any of the days around the TIF. One way is about $700-750 each.

You still going? Check the capsule hotel images on google, it's literally a capsule, like Dragonball style. LOL
Man Japan hahaha...

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »

You still going? Check the capsule hotel images on google, it's literally a capsule, like Dragonball style. LOL
Man Japan hahaha...

I'm weighing out the cost and exploring some other possible options for flight. I just had a few friends take a trip there from USA and I'm asking for some recommendations on it, and seeing if other people here are going to maybe split cost on a hostel or something, I know those are generally the best options. Hell, I would sleep on the street in Tokyo if I have to XD I don't really care. I've slept in a car before and outside on people's porch XD Half the time when I go to exciting events like this, I don't even really end up sleeping, I stay up doing stuff most of the time.

I've also seen capsule hotels before and have a few friends that have stayed in them, and I wouldn't really mind, I just wonder if a split hostel would be a cheaper idea.

I have to do more planning regarding this and speak to some more members and friends to see if this makes sense. If I can bring the flight cost down from what I keep seeing online, I'll more than likely be going, but a lot more research to do.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:18:10 PM by AEUGNewtype »

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »
Alright cool.. It would be better if people in Alliance would comment on here regarding this matter. It would be best for the Gaijins to unite on that day. LOL!!!

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »
Heh, I won't be going to TIF this year. Too much hassle, and more importantly too much money...
My best bet would be to catch them during the Odaiba Gasshuukoku when I'll be there in August.

Are flights cheaper in August? XD That would be fun as well, I saw the footage from that last year, it looked like so much fun.

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 10:20:47 PM »
Heh, I won't be going to TIF this year. Too much hassle, and more importantly too much money...
My best bet would be to catch them during the Odaiba Gasshuukoku when I'll be there in August.

At least you're still going to see them, just think of it that way.  8)

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »
I'm not sure, I think some of it has to do with buying the flight tickets early.
Basically, the longer you leave it the higher the prices will get. They won't come down.

Oh yeah I'm hoping to catch them there! :)
Check this out - http://www.fujitv.co.jp/uso2012/index.html

What is this? I still don't understand Japanese letters...  XD
What is Odaiba Gasshuukoku anyway? Concert too? Can you post a screenshot of the 2012 SP?

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
I'm not sure, I think some of it has to do with buying the flight tickets early.
Basically, the longer you leave it the higher the prices will get. They won't come down.

Oddly enough, in my experience, at least with domestic flights, the opposite can be true. I've bought last-minute plane tickets literally about 3 days before the flight and it was discounted a lot because they just wanted to fill the seats. International flights might be kinda different.

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »

Oh yeah I'm hoping to catch them there! :)
Check this out - http://www.fujitv.co.jp/uso2012/index.html

What is this? I still don't understand Japanese letters...  XD
What is Odaiba Gasshuukoku anyway? Concert too? Can you post a screenshot of the 2012 SP?

Odaiba Gasshuukoku is an event, which occurs in Odaiba (the large artificial island in Tokyo Bay).
I know that Idoling!!! have performed there in the past.

For example, here is a performance schedule for the 2012 one:
http://idolinger.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/odaiba-gasshuukoku-2012-teams-and.html

Cool so there are different dates for the groups, only thing is you have to stay long in Tokyo to be lucky to be on a date you want to see your favorite members.
Is there a better chance to take pictures with them on this event? LOL Or that type of thing will never happen? You're lucky you have a pic with them even though it's candid :)

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:56 PM »
Oh yeah, you're right in that respect.
Just depends if there are some left, but leaving it till the last minute isn't really a good idea though.
You wouldn't want to buy the tickets and not be able to get the flight, or vice versa. XD

That is true, though, it is much more of a risk because the flights might just be completely sold out if you wait that long. Those instances where I waited that long was because I didn't even know if I could go until last minute, so it worked out well XD

Is there a better chance to take pictures with them on this event? LOL Or that type of thing will never happen? You're lucky you have a pic with them even though it's candid
These kinds of opportunities are extremely rare for any idols, and it usually involved winning some kind of lottery or paying a lot of extra money for some kind of VIP access and 2-shot opportunity. It would be like a dream to have that opportunity with Idoling, but its very rare. Sometimes you just have to go to a certain girl's solo PB/calendar release event as well, so you'd have to go to 25 different events to get pictures with everyone :(

Offline idolingkyugo

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
These kinds of opportunities are extremely rare for any idols, and it usually involved winning some kind of lottery or paying a lot of extra money for some kind of VIP access and 2-shot opportunity. It would be like a dream to have that opportunity with Idoling, but its very rare. Sometimes you just have to go to a certain girl's solo PB/calendar release event as well, so you'd have to go to 25 different events to get pictures with everyone :(
That's sad.. I mean if you're spending a lot of money for a trip it would be nice to even have a picture with 1 or 2 members right. I think you would have a better chance if they are visiting another country which happens once in a blue moon.  :(

Offline AEUGNewtype

• Member+
  • ♥ まいぷる ♥
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »
That's sad.. I mean if you're spending a lot of money for a trip it would be nice to even have a picture with 1 or 2 members right. I think you would have a better chance if they are visiting another country which happens once in a blue moon.  :(
This is true, I've gotten pictures with a couple different idols and groups when they made their trips to the US, but even then, it doesn't always happen.

Offline Hatix

• Idolinger!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »
I have never been to Tokyo Idol Festival, but hellguard has (he lives in Tokyo btw). I'd love to go, but I was planning on going end of May/beginning of June this year.

About flight tickets.
Seems like it's very different prices depending on your country. Prices from Europe start at around 750euro (which is about $1000), unless you want to risk your life on Aeroflot for 600eur or less. If you're only going to Tokyo, I recommend flying into Tokyo directly and not another big city in Japan like Osaka. Shinkansen without Japan Rail Pass costs a bomb and taking a slower train is a waste of time, and you need to be careful with your return flight that it's not too early that you can actually reach the airport in time. (which is why I always stay at least 1 day in the city where I'm taking the flight. In my case, always Tokyo). All the good events are mostly in Tokyo anyway, so I recommend flying into Tokyo (either Narita or Haneda).

About hostels.
I have never stayed in a capsule hotel, but I guess it's dead cheap. However, you have to keep your luggage in a locker which can be a little inconvenient. I've also read that you have to check out every day? (not sure about that).
I usually stay in hostels (lots of choice on www.hostelworld.com I always book on this site). The most expensive rooms are of course single rooms with bathroom and the cheapest are dorm rooms (sleeps up to 4,8,12 people). I usually go to Japan on my own, so I always get a single room though, but that's personal preference. If you are on a tight budget though, a dorm room is cheapest.
Actual hotels or ryokan are a no-no if you're on a budget of course :)
Oh yeah, another possibility for the adventurous, is to sleep in a 24h internet cafe  :P Several of them offer a night package where you pay for 6-9hrs (for less than 1000yen) and some have showers.

About events.
The topic is about TIF, but there's been some questions about Odaiba Gasshuukoku. I have not been to Gasshuukoku but I can tell a bit about it. Odaiba Gasshuukoku is a big event by FujiTV which takes place on Odaiba (where FujiTV is located. Odaiba is actually just a small part of the artificial islands in Tokyo Bay) and spans over several weeks during summer. Idoling!!! usually has a few lives there every week. Last Christmas vacation, they held a winter edition of Gasshuukoku, which I was able to go to. The Idoling!!! lives seemed to be free back then, but I'm not sure about the summer editions.
Solo events are quite difficult, since they're only announced about one month in advance if you're lucky. That's why I make sure to have as many Saturdays & Sundays during my trip, since those are the days they are usually held on.

I should put these tips (and other info) on that wiki page that I mentioned in the other topic. It was originally only meant for finding idol stuff to buy, but I can surely serve for the purpose of event & travel info too :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:41:42 AM by Hatix »

Offline neonero

• Member+
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 12:01:29 AM »
If you're staying there for at least 1 month guest houses can be a very economic solution.
And if you really wanna save money you still can do some camping in Ueno Park. :grin:

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hello Venus - Winter Fantasy