JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfume - Computer City

Author Topic: [NEWS] Dr. Jerry Buss Lakers owner dies at 80 (2/18/13)  (Read 9098 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[NEWS] Dr. Jerry Buss Lakers owner dies at 80 (2/18/13)
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
God speed Dr. Jerry Buss. In ICU with undisclosed cancer. NBA wouldn't be what it is without you. Thoughts and prayers.

Lakers gotta rally after the break and come and PLAY FOR JERRY!!!!!!!

eta: he passed away Monday morning at 80
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:51:42 PM by daigong »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Damn. RIP Greatest Owner in Sports History. Thank you for the modern era Lakers, for Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Byron Scott, Coop, Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Vlade, Shaq, Kobe, Fish, Pau, and all the NBA titles. Great Leader and Marketing Genius. SHOWTIME The BRAND Lakers. Just bow down to greatness.

Say hi to Chick:

Lakers owner Jerry Buss dies at 80

Jerry Buss, the longtime owner of the Lakers whose penchant for showmanship helped turn the game of basketball into “Showtime” and who led the team to 10 NBA championships, died Monday. He was 80.

A self-made millionaire who built his fortune in real estate, Buss bought the Lakers in 1979. He charted his successful course with marquee players Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal, Hall of Fame coaches Pat Riley and Phil Jackson, celebrities sitting courtside and Laker Girls dancing during timeouts.

"I really tried to create a Laker image, a distinct identity," Buss said. "I mean, the Lakers are pretty damn Hollywood."

It was a remarkable winning streak for a man who dug his way out of a hardscrabble youth.

A Depression-era baby, Jerry Hatten Buss was born Jan. 27, 1934, in Salt Lake City (other sources say 1933). His parents divorced when he was an infant.

His mother struggled to make ends meet as a waitress in tiny Evanston, Wyo., and Buss remembered standing in food lines in the bitter cold.

Later, Buss earned a science scholarship to the University of Wyoming. At 19 he married a coed named JoAnn Mueller, and they would eventually have four children: John, Jim, Jeanie and Janie.

By the mid-1950s, the couple had moved to Southern California, where Buss earned a doctorate in chemistry at USC. He worked briefly in the aerospace industry, and in the late 1950s, he and a colleague, Frank Mariani, tried their hand at real estate.

They scraped together a few thousand dollars to buy a 14-unit apartment house in West Los Angeles and, to save money, did all the repairs themselves. Their real estate company kept growing as they invested in residential properties, hotels and office buildings.

In 1979, Buss and his partners bought the Lakers (along with the Forum in Inglewood), the NHL’s Kings and a 13,000-acre ranch in Kern County for $67 million from Jack Kent Cooke.

At the time, the NBA had fallen by the wayside and several teams stood on the brink of bankruptcy.

But to Buss, the Lakers looked like a gem in the coal bin. They had a dominant center in Abdul-Jabbar, and the team picked the effervescent Johnson out of Michigan State in the 1979 NBA draft.

Success came quickly. With former Lakers star Jerry West maturing into one of the most gifted general managers in the league, the team won an NBA championship in Buss’ first season. Johnson, Abdul-Jabbar and Michael Cooper guided the Lakers to five titles.

The Lakers' next title era came with O’Neal; the precocious Bryant, whom they traded for after he was drafted out of high school; and Jackson as coach. The Lakers won three consecutive championships from 2000 through 2002.

The team then flamed out in the 2004 NBA Finals against the Detroit Pistons and traded O’Neal to the Miami Heat. At the same time, Jackson walked away.

After a few more disappointing seasons, Bryant demanded a trade, but Buss stood firm.

The Lakers, with Jackson back as coach and with Pau Gasol added to the team, defeated Orlando for the 2008-09 title. The following season, they beat Boston for another championship. It was their 10th and final title under Buss.

"Jerry Buss helped set the league on the course it is on today," NBA Commissioner David Stern said. "Remember, he showed us it was about 'Showtime,' the notion that an arena can become the focal point for not just basketball, but entertainment. He made it the place to see and be seen."

via LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-jerry-buss-obit-20130214,0,5024446.story

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: [NEWS] Dr. Jerry Buss Lakers owner dies at 80 (2/18/13)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »
Just saw this when I went ESPN's site.

RIP, Dr. Jerry Buss.
My condolences to the Buss Family.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »
Wow shocking news

Condolences to the Buss family

Posted by PWO fail master

Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »
“My love of sports certainly contributes. Some people own sports franchises more as a business, a steppingstone to fame. But I own it mainly because I love it. It’s a corny line, but they say, “When you bleed, you bleed for blue and gold.” I was a Laker fan a long time before I was fortunate enough to own them. I have owned them for 27 years and I truly have loved every moment of it. Again, it’s that I love the sport. I went into it because I love the Lakers and when you love the Lakers, you want them to win so badly that you will work tirelessly … tirelessly to make that happen, and essentially I think that’s how we have been so successful.” - Jerry Buss

Just wow. Cancer is a Bitch.

My favorite Jerry Buss moment was when he awarded Magic Johnson the largest salary in team sports, AFTER the whole HIV horror. THAT'S Loyalty.

He created the Laker Girls. SO GENIUS. Oh, press conference on NBA TV...via spokesman. Laker tweets: http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/130218drbuss_condolences

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 06:10:07 AM »
quotes from in and around the League and beyond:

via Captain Kareem's fb: https://www.facebook.com/kaj/posts/457211454351052

When someone as celebrated and charismatic as Jerry Buss dies, we are reminded of two things. First, just how much one person with vision and strength of will can accomplish. Second, how fragile each of us is, regardless of how powerful we were. Those two things combine to inspire us to reach for the stars, but also to remain with our feet firmly on the ground among our loved ones. Dr. Buss embodied that compassionate entrepreneurial spirit. He strove to reach greater heights without forgetting his community roots. During his stewardship, the Lakers exemplified his personal standards of excellence and became one of the dominant teams in the NBA and a force of good within the community. The man may be gone, but he has made us all better people for knowing him. --- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Former Lakers GM Jerry West released a statement through the Warriors on Jerry Buss' passing

“This is an extremely sad day for me," said West, who's on the Warriors' executive board. "As I have said many times, I have been blessed to work for Jerry Buss, the most successful owner in basketball history. His incredible commitment and desire to build a championship-caliber team that could sustain success over a long period of time has been unmatched. With all of his achievements, Jerry was without a doubt one of the most humble men I’ve ever been around. His vision was second to none; he wanted an NBA franchise brand that represented the very best and went to every extreme to accomplish his goals. His achievements as an owner are legendary and will never be duplicated: 10 NBA titles and 16 trips to the NBA Finals. Jerry was an innovator in the sports world and many sports franchises have tried to follow his recipe for success and his vision of making NBA basketball as much about sports as entertainment."

“Our relationship has always been very unique; Jerry was always supportive of the many tough decisions that were made during our time together. I will particularly remember fondly our walks together during training camps, which were some of the highlights of my time working with him and the Lakers."

“I was blessed to have the opportunity to work for him and I will miss him dearly. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Buss family and the Lakers organization. We lost a great man today and a legend in our business.”

@MagicJohnson
My thoughts and prayers are with the family & friends of Dr. Jerry Buss. He was a great man and an incredible friend.

@derekfisher
Today the world lost a visionary and one of the most successful sports figures of all time. But today I lost a friend and mentor.

He forever changed my life. May he rest in peace and my prayers are with his family that he loved so much. #RIPDrBuss

@SHAQ
I'm deeply saddened over da loss of the great Dr. Jerry Buss. He was a dear friend, mentor,and brilliant business mind thank u 4 8 gr8 yrs

@James_Worthy42
Condolences to the Buss family. Dr Buss was not only the greatest sports owner, but a true friend & just a really cool guy. Loved him dearly

@dennisrodman
My thoughts and prayers are with the Buss family. Dr. Jerry Buss was like a Dad to me and is a tremendous loss to @Lakers fam. @JeanieBuss

@paugasol
Today is a very sad day for all the Lakers and basketball. All my support and condolences to the Buss family. Rest in peace Dr. Buss.

Listened to ESPN 710 all day. Laker greats from A.C Green to Kareem to MArk Madsen came on. He's everything you want in an owner and a leader. Incredible Visionary. Treated everyone like Family from the gardener to the superstar players. If I could just be 1 billionth the leader he is BOW DOWN. Thank you Dr. Jerry Buss for making the NBA and Entertainment world what it is today. THE DRAMA the PASSION the SHOWCASE of athleticism every night. I will forever always be a Laker fan no matter what roster no matter what record, it's the BRAND Dr. Buss built that has me hooked.

can't imagine what the family and Kobe must be thinking, going through...he like paid for heart surgery. lots of players like Fish's daughter owe him the world yet he wouldn't take any credit. lol sending out his sons during the 09.

Looks like the memorial service might be at Nokia? Tribute on Wed fo sho. BEAT THE CELTS. We as Lakers fans are truly blessed to have seen so many titles, the NBA needs a competitive Lakers franchise and Dr. Buss made every effort to make that happen. BELIEVE IN BUSS.

I saw all around, Lakers Boards, Celtics boards giving him props. Just wow, the IMPACT. I mean I always knew he was a great owner but how he affected ALL sports just wow. There's a slew of more video on TWC Sportsnet website, with these monumental caps. http://www.twcsportsnet.com/videos

I wonder what Jeannie's role will be. HEY! my dad has the same shirt lol

WE look up to the sky and salute you Dr. Buss!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »
whoops. I didn't finish my thought. Dr. Buss paid for Turiaf's heart surgery. His tweet was like "He saved my life" when it was announced Dr. Buss was in ICU.

Heard also on the radio that him and Rodman were poker buddies and that was kinda the reason he joined the team for that season. I remember him breaking down during the HOF speech and tonite on leno was no different, he had no father figures and Dr. Buss and him kept in touch:

use this if that doesn't load: http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/dennis-rodman-on-dr-jerry-buss/n32923

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:01:16 AM »
Oh man. Just watched the memorial service. Just chills. Kobe and Magic put the Lakers roster on notice. THROW YOUR L'S LAKER FANS!!!

The Giants of the Game. Oh man Shaq was so funny. "All in, All the Time" - Kareem

gotta watch the repeat, Jerry West got cut off.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
Been watching the Dr. Buss Memorial speeches over again. and what I took from it...Have fun, dont be apologetic. His passions was beautiful women. Just as much as he had time for all his players. Dr. Buss PIMP

Then last nite watched the win over the Celtics 2010 DVD and damn. TRUST ME. Kobe Dr. Buss

His Vision. Magic had the best speeches. A CELEBRATION OF LIFE!! The Adopted Son. but on ESPN, magic choking up

Kobe Tribute Speech to Dr. Buss before that LEGENDARY win Wed. They really are pulling it together for Dr. B

the tributs at LAX, did u see it Slack?? https://twitter.com/LAX_Official/status/304793790600863744

Jerry West tho, his speech was most moving cuz like it wasn't written, tho I'm sure he had some quotes....just the humility, so proud of the Lakers. The Vision and Leadership. "He had more fun with the common folk." I read on a Lakers board that he went through the SAME ENTRANCE as the fans. Like how many owners do that??? I LOVED how he went right at Stern. "He NEVER made a mistake."

THAT CAST. It is why I did jump on the Lakers bandwagon cuz, just the constant levels of consistency - Elgin! West! Worthy! Kareem! Byron! Pau! MWP! Twon! Shaq! Rilees! MAgic! Kobe! Nash! Jordan Hill! - to drive to get better even if times were rough.

"He has left a giant shadow for all sports." everyone wants to be like Dr. Buss.

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfume - Computer City