JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dream - Get Over

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 173125 times)

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« on: July 14, 2005, 02:44:49 AM »
I was looking through the threads and realized there were these music and movies threads but no book threads. So I decided to start one. Besides it could also help people get through the summer.

Here's the deal:

1. Title
2. Authors, Illustrators, etc.
3. What is it?

You could post anything you'd like; novels, magazine articles, poetry, comics, etc.

I'll start:

1. The Pickup Artist
2. Terry Bisson
3. It's a novel about a guy who lives in the not so distant future. His job is to pickup works of artists(singer, writers, actors, etc.) who have been "deleted" to make room for more artists in a world that is saturated with art. It's pretty interesting and reminds me alot about prohibition and what not. Reviews say it's like Fahrenheit 451, which I haven't read yet.

Well Happy Postings

Offline Sexy Beam

• キラ☆キラスター
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ~Through Space and Time~
What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 02:50:45 AM »
1. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Rereading it)
2. Douglas Adams
3. A sci-fi comedy. You all should know what it's about. :P

♥♥ // Infinite Bits Gaming Con // ♥♥ // Poupee Girl // ♥♥ // YouTube // ♥♥ // LJ // ♥♥

Offline Kenji

• Kyamei's Bitch
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 03:42:45 AM »
I haven't read a book in years. Even the ones we were assigned to read in college-- I'd just take a bunch of shortcuts. I guess you can say that I hate reading, even though I'm reading all the time when I'm on the net. But that's different! :D

Currently reading the Bleach manga.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 04:39:33 AM »
Just finished Robert Charles Wilson's The Chronoliths.

I've also been reading some of Bill Bryson's travelogues lately.

Not sure what to read a work tonight yet.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
What are you reading?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 06:14:34 AM »
Real Book

1. The Marching Season
2. Michael Silva
3. A CIA agent comes out of retirement to halt a IRA splinter group from assasinating the US diplomat at a peace accord

Negima!
Ken Akamatsu
Manga-rific action!  Harem comedy with magic and Fan Service!

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:22:53 AM »
Rereading 1984 by George Orwell. A man named Winston Smith lives in a world where nothing is secret. He falls in love with a girl named Julia. And he thinks of ways to escape Big Brother's grasp~

Offline YuisBoobs

• Taking over the world, one tit at a time
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:28:28 AM »
Some of my readings:

1. Modern Bride June/July 2005 issue
2. Lots
3. magazine, for my wedding in December.

1. All About Chinchillas
2. I don't know, it's in the living room and I don't feel like waking up my dad to see.
3. Book about caring for chinchillas.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
What are you reading?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 09:28:29 AM »
1. Title: Happy!
2. Author: Rika Ishikawa
3. What is it? A photo book

Yeah son, I only read photobooks  :lol:

Offline strawberrypop

What are you reading?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 10:15:33 AM »
1. The Stranger
2. Albert Camus  
3. The Stranger is a book that was written during WW2 and basically the main character takes an existentalist view on life. The first lines in the book are, "mama died today or maybe it was yesterday?" Anyway its not too long and you get really into it. It depresses me to think about his life but then I remember its a book. It's really good.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
What are you reading?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 02:48:58 PM »
"Angels & Demons"

I'm almost done with it. it's such a good book though, one of my favorites ever. a really good prequel to "The Davinci Code" :heart: I hope they decide to make this into a movie like they did with the other book...

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 03:20:27 PM »
Title: Misery
Author: Stephen King
What is it: An author, Paul Sheldon, is involved in a car crash and is badly wounded. (Un)Luckily he's saved by his number no.1 fan, Annie Wilkes, an elderly nurse who brings him to her secluded home where she treats him with medicine, food, care etc. In return, Annie asks Paul to do something special for her, that is, to write a very special book, just for her, all about her favourite character from his novels. One he had killed off and now has to bring back to life. Because if he doesn't, she gets upset, very upset, and does things to him that are best left not to be said.

As sick as it sounds, I like reading how Annie inflicts pain on Paul and what he does (or tries to do) as a counter-measure. I just read what is surely the most detailed sequence thus far (the smell). *shudders*

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 03:41:19 PM »
Maximum Bob
Elmore Leonard

Too tired to write a summary write now, so I'll just quote:

"The setting is Palm Beach County, Florida, where someone places a live ten-foot alligator in the backyard of the bigoted, redneck judge Bob Gibbs--known to all as Maximum Bob--and his wife, Leanne, a former Weeki Wachee mermaid. Not long after that, shots are fired into the judge's house. It doesn't take much figuring to conclude that someone's out to get him and that malefactor isn't going to stop at the second try. There's a long list of suspects: Dale Crowe, who just got an outrageous sentence for a minor crime; his uncle Elvin, a killer on parole, raring to go again; Dr. Tommy Vasco, the drugged out former medical doctor; his equally bizarre friend, Hector; and Dicky Campau, who makes a living poaching alligators. And there are others.

Somehow Kathy Baker, a nifty young probation officer, has got herself in the middle of all this. She's got to avoid two seducers--the judge and a homicidal maniac--and work with a young police officer who interests her for more than professional reasons."

It was also a (sadly short-lived) TV series.

Offline CD-Rose

• Master Vader
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 04:54:00 AM »
This Thread.

Just couldn't help it. Anyway I too haven't read any books since High School. The only reading I do now is in videogames that are RPGs. And those that have voice over, why even bother reading. But I admire those read as their only source of entertainment, like Fred Rogers, he didn't own a TV set.

あっぱれ あっぱれ
キスして GATO
HIT PARADE HIT PARADE
恋愛メドレー

Offline JaisBane

• ecchi
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 05:57:53 AM »
1:  Three Kingdoms
2:  Luo, Guanzhong
3:  One of the 5 great chinese novels, it is considered THE resource for warfare and is the Illiad of China.  It chronicles the fall of the Han Dystanty, it's division into three kingdoms, the foundation of the kingdom of Jin, and the reunification of china.  It covers 113 years (from 168 AD to 280 AD), but two-thirds of the book is dedicated to the last Han Emperor, Xian.  I'm only at chapter 50, so I'm not even halfway done.  Even so, it is absolutely fascinating and it easy to see why both the Communists and the Guomindang relied heavily on it during the revolution.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
What are you reading?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 06:38:52 AM »
"Sorrow of War" and "Paradise of the Blind" now...

I have to read them for an essay, and I find them boring...  :(

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »
Rooman diktaattorit (Dictators of Rome)
by Pekka Tuomisto

The end of the roman republic and the birth of the empire. Tiberius Gracchus - Octavius (Augustus). A detailed view to one of the most interesting times in ancient history.
coot is ctz

Offline elgie

• Yossi's worth a good jerk
  • Member+
  • Miss you, Jab
What are you reading?
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 05:51:40 PM »
La Aznaridad. By Manuel Vazquez Montalban. A review of the former Spain's president era from the leftish POV.

R.I.P. Jabronisaur

Offline zlchn

• Nacchi is HAWT
  • ecchi
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 09:51:05 PM »
Reading up on the history of the Vietnam war this summer.

1. Stalking the Vietcong
2. Stuart A Herrington
3. inside operation Phoenix program... It was a secret program in the Vietnam war.

1.  the Pentagon Papers The Defense Department History of United States Decisionmaking on Vietnam
2. Daniel Ellsberg
3. government study of U.S. involvement in Southeast Asia. Commissioned by Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara in June, 1967, the 47-volume, top secret study covered the period from World War II to May, 1968. It was written by a team of analysts who had access to classified documents, and was completed in Jan., 1969. The study revealed a considerable degree of miscalculation, bureaucratic arrogance, and deception on the part of U.S. policymakers.

Offline suki*

• Shweet Bitch
  • Member+
  • mikitty~!! ^o^
What are you reading?
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 03:56:52 AM »
As of now 0956hrs, GMT+8, I am starting to read :

1. Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
2. J.K. Rowling, published by Bloomsbury (Hardback)
3. Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince!!

IT GOT DELIVERED!!! WHOOPEE!!! ^o^

Offline Levin

• Tae Yeon<3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
What are you reading?
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 08:40:49 AM »
The Things They Carried.  Book off my summer reading list.  Whoever was the first person to make kids read over summer is a bastard.

JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dream - Get Over