JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 96 kbs)     Now playing: kuro - H!P Musix Blox Sat Jun 26 2010

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 486046 times)

Offline Aioros

• γ€Œ ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1540 on: May 17, 2008, 05:55:52 AM »
^ I tried the instructions on the site you linked and it didn't show the plugins I have installed though I have several. You can use Tools>Add-ons to check the installed Plugins in your FF. From there you can disable/uninstall any plugins you have. Worst case scenario is just reinstall FF but don't forget to save your bookmarks.

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1541 on: May 17, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »
got a hard drive question: how do I get it to start d/l on my new drive?
You mean you want your download program to store directly on the external drive?
If so then just browse to it while you do the 'save as', otherwise search for a setting in the program that says something like 'target' or 'save to' or 'default' directory.

plus, I've been trying to start burning shows onto a disc..what do I need to do to make sure they play on my dvd player?
Depends if your DVD player understands other file types then DVD-VIDEO, if not you need to convert your files to 'DVD player compatible' there are several programs that can do that (your DVD burning program might be able to do that, just read its manual)

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1542 on: May 17, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
Okay, found the plug-ins, disabled them and now everything works fine. I'll try to see which is causing the problem. Thanks a bunch guys! :heart:

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1543 on: May 17, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »
got a hard drive question: how do I get it to start d/l on my new drive?
You mean you want your download program to store directly on the external drive?
If so then just browse to it while you do the 'save as', otherwise search for a setting in the program that says something like 'target' or 'save to' or 'default' directory.

plus, I've been trying to start burning shows onto a disc..what do I need to do to make sure they play on my dvd player?
Depends if your DVD player understands other file types then DVD-VIDEO, if not you need to convert your files to 'DVD player compatible' there are several programs that can do that (your DVD burning program might be able to do that, just read its manual)
i can't get my player to do it..it says i don't have permission to save it on my file and contact the administrator..plus, what's the best programs to use for the DVD player?

EDIT: I got it to finally work..guess I needed to make a new folder for the new file to start..sorry for the trouble.. :lol:

just the second question will do now
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:05:31 PM by cool_kickin_dude »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1544 on: May 17, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »
did you mean dvd player on your computer?

if you're going to burn shows onto a dvd and don't intend to play it on an actual physical player, you can just burn all the shows as data and play them like you would if they were on your harddrive. Converting them would just be a waste of space on the disc.

Now if you want to play it on an actual physical player, you follow what frblckstr1 said earlier. And you need a DVD burning program to convert it, not just a dvd player program. I think most retail burning programs could probably convert it for you.

Offline Masabi

• οΎβ˜…
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #1545 on: May 18, 2008, 05:08:41 AM »
^ I'm starting not to like ReallTek for audio :( I have seen lots of motherboards that have problems with the drivers (to the point they actaually blue-screen Vista)
They are working fine on both my HP laptops (nock on wood)

Normally when you under the device manager un-install the driver for the audio, then re-scan for devices it should correct itself if it worked correctly before.
But if you have problems installing the new drivers (as you mentioned) then this might not help.

Try the sequence: reboot the machine, check if the audio works (check if it is not set to mute or 0-volume)
if it doesn't work: remove driver in device manager, re-scan.
if that still doesn't work... you might actually have defective hardware.

Thanks!  That worked.  For some reason, I'd rebooted it over and over again but it didn't work until I actually manually removed it using device manager T__T
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1546 on: May 19, 2008, 06:12:49 AM »
okay, got one: how do you change .mkv files to .avi files?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1547 on: May 19, 2008, 06:42:04 AM »
^
I've actually found that a lot of .mkv files are of better quality than their .avi counterparts, and they do so with a smaller filesize. Personally, I'd recommend just getting the necessary codecs to properly play .mkv files, or, when in doubt, just get and use VLC player for them. :)

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1548 on: May 19, 2008, 07:09:16 AM »
^^ well mkv and avi are just the containers, so if they're encoded with the same codecs the only difference is you need something like the Haali media splitter to play the mkv (which is available in pretty much any codec pack nowadays) or get a non directshow player like vlc or mplayer.

Usually they're encoded in h.264 though and some people have problems playing them if they have an old pc or some people want to put it on a dvd for divx/xvid playback.

if you're having trouble playing them because of the h.264 codec you can try getting coreAVC. But if you really need to convert it I just googled and found this guide

http://anime.nickistre.net/blog_entry/anime/2007/03/03/mkv_h_264_codec_to_avi_xvid_codec_conversion

it's long and not very noobie friendly (I wouldn't even go through the trouble) but i think the only option would be to buy commercial software. A couple are mentioned in the link under progrmas needed.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1549 on: May 19, 2008, 11:08:19 PM »
well, I have GOM player that plays the files, and I just wondered is all..don't want to screw up my new files that are .mkv anyway.. :lol:

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1550 on: May 20, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
Question about a T-mobile (USA) thing:

There's something like like a T-mobile router for the HotSpot@ home services (Wi-Fi, unlimited Family talk, etc) , i dunno all the details...
but i was wondering, Is there anyway to use my existing, non t-mobile router and somehow increase my signal at home, especially in the basement where signal is ZERO!.  and possibly anything else? 
like for example, acquired a code or i.p. address or something from t-mobile and just input it into my existing router and internet connection that would boost up T-mobile signals.  something along that line? 
i'm asking cuz I have no phone signal in my basement and would like to change that, and probably just that since i don't need the HotSpot@ home thing.... yet.

if anyone knows how to boost wireless phone signals @ home, please share ur wonderful, useful knowledge.

Loser87

« Reply #1551 on: May 26, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »
ok major problem i am having is i can't type my password on the start up screen on windows...
at first i thought it might be my keyboard out of battery but its not..
my keyboard is wireless with full battery and its not letting me type shit!

i'm on friggin' safe mode with the on-screen keyboard here
anyone know how to fix this problem it'd be greatly appreciated

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1552 on: May 26, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
Several options:
1) Wireless uses USB adapter or Bluetooth? Then they need drivers to be loaded, see the Device Manager.

2) Possibly something is interfering with the wireless channel. See if you can change that channel.

3) If USB, then check in the BIOS if there's an option to enable USB keyboard at boot-up. (You might need a regular wired keyboard to be able to access the BIOS.) Optionally try a different USB port.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1553 on: May 29, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »
phpBB boards always give me this problem when I'm trying to post.

Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.

What's up?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1554 on: May 29, 2008, 12:16:52 PM »
^ Maybe some trojan(virus) trying to modify the contents of what is send back?

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1555 on: May 29, 2008, 12:32:08 PM »
^ Maybe some trojan(virus) trying to modify the contents of what is send back?

Scanned my computer, no virus. It's been happening ever since too.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1556 on: May 29, 2008, 06:42:44 PM »
^ Cookies disabled ?(some site at times require them)

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1557 on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »
^ Cookies disabled ?(some site at times require them)

I cleared it (along with cache) and disabled it already. Still no luck...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1558 on: May 30, 2008, 06:15:31 AM »
I think he meant you should try enabling the cookies. Having them disabled could be what's causing the problem.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1559 on: May 30, 2008, 06:41:42 AM »
I think he meant you should try enabling the cookies. Having them disabled could be what's causing the problem.

They've been enabled and disabled, still no change.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 96 kbs)     Now playing: kuro - H!P Musix Blox Sat Jun 26 2010