JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Zoobombs - Texas

Author Topic: Nine Lives in a Sentence  (Read 6872 times)

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
Nine Lives in a Sentence
« on: October 06, 2007, 11:58:36 PM »
Nine Lives in a Sentence

"I won't let go!" yelled Otani Masae as she clung on to Shibata Ayumi, who had tumbled over the edge of the miniscule fence on the edge of the roof of the building in which the two were currently working on an upcoming tour with Goto Maki, who had sprained her wrist last Tuesday but was getting better with the help of a bandage and encouraging words from her co-workers, namely Inaba Atsuko, who had not had proper work in over a year and a half, during which she'd visited her hometown thrice and, even so, had been chastised for not visiting more often, something that made her seethe with hatred and contempt and phone up Maeda Yuki (who was doing her nails at the time) and complain about her family, which was, as it turned out, the total opposite of Yuki's family, since the Maeda family often made the trip to the mainland, a piece of information that made Atsuko hang up in frustration and call up her other buddy, Nakazawa Yuuko, and repeat her complaints, only to find that Yuuko was so drunk from an afternoon out on a blind date that she didn't even know who was calling and subsequently hung up, taking another sip of water in an attempt to sober up for the next day because she had an interview with a gourmet cuisine magazine for reasons she couldn't fathom, although she knew that she needed more publicity and thus decided not to voice her criticism to Tsunku, who had been incredibly busy in the past few months trying to balance the different acts under his Project, schedule in as many lives and interviews as possible, and deal with all the scandals that were affecting him and his girls, namely Fujimoto Miki, who was currently wiling away the hours in her apartment doing nothing but sleeping, eating, and occasionally going out to shop for new shoes (of which she'd acquired eleven new pairs since the end of her Hawaii tour) due to extreme depression because she was being given no new work and her best friend in the Project, Matsuura Aya, was angry and criticising Miki for not thinking about the group ahead of herself and ruining their chances to do more work together as a super duo, which, actually, Aya was genuinely upset about despite the time it took out of her solo schedule, because she loved talking and dealing with people, and while solo touring was riveting in its own way, she needed some people her own age to talk to and commiserate with, laugh with and cry with, and Miki was the perfect person to do that with because she was good at keeping quiet and listening to Aya, a fact that Tsunku had once praised Miki for in a meeting in a large room that was almost as large as Yuuko's hair in the tenth anniversary concert in January, in which she had participated under the strict, personal condition that Yuki, too, participate and have a chance to sing a solo, which had prompted anger from Atsuko, who also wanted a solo but didn't get one because her ideal time slot had been filled in by Maki, who gave the best performance of her sexy dance ever according to Shiba-chan, who had, not even two minutes ago, leaned forward too far over the railing while enjoying a sunset on the roof of the building she worked in and now clung desperately to Masae, whose hand was sweaty but solid and holding on tightly to her co-worker and friend's equally sweaty hand, while grunting a hearty "heave ho!" and managing to pull Shiba-chan up to safety, which ended with both of them flopping down onto the ground, sitting, shaking with adrenaline and fear, and prompting Masae to quip, "That was such a close call that if you were a cat, your nine lives would be up," which brings you, the readers, and me, the writer, to THE END.

This idea came to me while reading a book called If on a winter's night a traveller by Italo Calvino.  The author tends to write very long, winding sentences, although maybe that's just my perception.  Anyway, I decided to try a different approach to story writing.  Or is that epic sentence writing?  (By the way, I recommend this book even though I'm only halfway through it.  For anyone who's interested in a very different approach to novel writing, this book will be a real treat!  I've been hooked since page 20.)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Nine Lives in a Sentence
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:12:14 AM »
Damn dude. :lol: Definitely "Epic Sentence" writing. :thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 12:12:48 AM by JFC »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:17:40 AM »
Amazing, though it took me awhile to actually get the title. I only started noticing that it's one big epic sentence halfway through (When I caught a glance of the comment XD:lol:

It's done pretty nicely seeing as I got sucked into the content without really realizing that there's no full stop until the end. I like how it goes back and forth without being repetitive. That's interesting.

Offline ChiruChaCha

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • cuak!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 01:28:05 AM »
*gasp*

That was long but good! I like the experimenting, and I'll try to have a look at the book.

Btw, totally off topic but I saw an episode of "Lost"(season 3, episode 8 ) this week that reminded me a lot of "Restart"(even though they weren't exactly the same thing), you didn't happen to watch that too, did you? xD

Offline g4rfield

• Yocchan is my chan~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I belong to a religion called Yossy-ism
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 07:03:05 AM »
Yaaay...new story from OTN1! ..........*reading*........*more reading......... :pig huh: and this is the part where I got sucked in but my eyes were screaming for spaces! I've got male eyes and brains. Can't read anything with no spaces. I'm sorry OTN1, it's an epic alright, it's just I'm too stupid to try deciphering a style like that.  :mon sweat:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:04:28 AM by g4rfield »

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 08:33:33 AM »
Love the one sentence story. XD I should try that some time.

And I love how everything flows around and goes back to where it begins. XD

Great job. :)

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 09:16:26 AM »
Whew...I had no idea what the title was about until i was 1/2 through the "sentence" and then it finally dawned on me that the sentence wasn't ending!  Definitely different and a fun read  XD

Offline elgie

• Yossi's worth a good jerk
  • Member+
  • Miss you, Jab
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »
The author tends to write very long, winding sentences, although maybe that's just my perception.
No, it's not just your perception. :lol: Great author, BTW. Try his anthology of Italian Folktales, or the three short stories in Our Ancestors. They're delicious.

Oh, and the story was funny.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:25:37 AM by elgie »

R.I.P. Jabronisaur

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 11:43:11 AM »
I would label this experiment a moderate success.  Hah, it was like a little maze to surprise people when they realised that the sentence wasn't ending.  It was quite fun to write.

The Italian Folktales book sounds particularly interesting, Elgie.  I'll see if I can pick it up after I've finished the 5 other books next on my list.  Calvino has definitely got my attention!

Btw, totally off topic but I saw an episode of "Lost"(season 3, episode 8 ) this week that reminded me a lot of "Restart"(even though they weren't exactly the same thing), you didn't happen to watch that too, did you? xD
No, I've never watched that show before.  Hahaha, what happened in it that was similar?  Or would I have to know the storyline to understand?  I don't even know what it's about.

Offline ChiruChaCha

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • cuak!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:41:27 PM »

No, I've never watched that show before.  Hahaha, what happened in it that was similar?  Or would I have to know the storyline to understand?  I don't even know what it's about.

To be honest it's pretty complicated to explain and too boring to understand if you haven't seen the series so we better leave it like that, ok? xD

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • K-M-E-I Kamei! K-A-M-E Kyamei!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:29:08 PM »
At least we didn't have to read the story in one breath, that would've been terrible. XD And because I'm weird like that I ran the story through MS Word's spelling and grammar check and other than not recognizing the Japanese names and the misspelling of "critisizing" the sentence is legit. XD

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 09:49:17 AM »
At least we didn't have to read the story in one breath...
Haha, I actually tried, but I failed.
the misspelling of "critisizing"
I tend to stick to the spelling found in the Oxford.

Hahaha, okay, ChiruChaCha.  I'll take your word for it.

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • The likeness of a human
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 09:59:36 PM »
The style reminded me some passages of the Bible, and a bit of depositions. But I find the prior boring, and the latter are usually pointless. XD 

But this is not the case, of course. It was... interesting, and long. Funny, too, and different, very different indeed. I know some people who'd burst a vein just by reading it, but fortunately I'm not one of them.  :P

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Zoobombs - Texas