JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Itano Tomomi - COME PARTY!

Author Topic: The Sportswhoring Thread  (Read 56001 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: The Sportswhoring Thread
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2011, 02:09:52 AM »
SHIT!! Another Ted Williams feel good story?? but there's a twist:

Homeless man is the king of fantasy football

Three million people competed at fantasy football on ESPN.com this year. One man managed to rise above all of them, and he did it despite not having a computer. Or a place to live.

For the sake of comparison, I finished under .500 in a league of 12 people, and I spend all day with my face buried in NFL news, stats and highlights.

Obviously, Nathan Harrington, 33, of Salem, Mass., knows something I don't. Harrington ended up homeless after needing back surgery, going on medical leave from his job, and being forced to leave his home because it was condemned.

And still, he was better than over 3 million people at fantasy football.

He used computers at his father's nursing home, his mother's house, and the library. He knocked on neighbors' doors and asked if he could use their computers.

If you're wondering about specifics, Harrington drafted Arian Foster and picked up Brandon Lloyd as a free agent. He made trades for Adrian Peterson and Dwayne Bowe.

Oddly, Tony Romo(notes) was his quarterback, but when Romo went down with a season-ending injury,
Harrington had to make due with a string of borderline fantasy quarterbacks. He clinched the top spot behind Tim Tebow's surprising Week 17 performance against the Chargers. From The Salem News:

"My fantasy football was the one thing that kind of seemed to be going right at the time," Harrington said. "There was a lot to be upset about, but the one thing that was steady and heading in a positive direction was the fantasy football. So I thought I might as well stick with it and ride it out. Thank God I did."

For his unbelievable performance, Harrington won a $3,500 Best Buy gift card, which he's selling to his mother for $2,500 cash.

source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Homeless-man-is-the-king-of-fantasy-football?urn=nfl-310374

His mom jobs him :lol: prolly told him with the time he spent on fantasy, shoulda went and got a job! medical leave pfffft just making excuses.

This is an interesting article, the top sports no surprise but hockey? really?

While Gap Narrows, Professional Football Retains Lead over Baseball as Favorite Sport
January 20, 2011 | PR Newswire Association LLC

NEW YORK, Jan. 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- It's the eternal debate among sports fans – football or baseball? Most die-hard sports fans will always say both, but, if forced to choose, football wins yet again. Three in ten Americans who follow at least one sport (31%) say professional football is their favorite sport while 17% say baseball. This is a narrowing of the gap from last year when over one-third (35%) of sports fans said professional football was their favorite sport and 16% said it was baseball.

These are some of the results of The Harris Poll of 2,331 adults surveyed online between December 6 and 13, 2010 by Harris Interactive.

Looking at how other sports fared, just over one in ten sports fans (12%) say college football is their favorite sport while 7% say it is auto racing, 6% say men's professional basketball, 5% say hockey, and 4% each say men's soccer and men's college basketball. Most other sports are favorites for 2% or less of sports fans. Two sports however, women's professional basketball and women's college basketball, are not favorites for any sports fan.

There are some fluctuations in favorites over time. Since this question was first asked in 1985, professional football has gone up 7 points from 24% of sports fans saying it was their favorite sport then to 31% saying so now. Baseball, on the other hand, has gone down 6 points from 23% in 1985 to 17% today.

Who likes football and baseball… and who really doesn't

When it comes to the top sports, different groups are more likely to cite them as favorites. African Americans (45%), Baby Boomers (aged 46-64) (37%), and Easterners (34%) are more likely to say professional football is their favorite sport while Echo Boomers (aged 18-33) (23%), Hispanics (26%), and Midwesterners (26%) are less likely to do so. When it comes to baseball, Matures (those 65 and older) (21%), Hispanics (20%), and those with a high school or less education (20%) are more likely to cite it as their favorite sport.  African Americans (6%), those with some college education (12%) and Echo Boomers (13%) are least likely to say baseball is their favorite.

So What?

While football may be the favorite sport, there is a decline in popularity from last year. And, with the possibility looming of a player's lockout after this season ends, will fans stay loyal? In 1987 there was a strike and the popularity of the sport didn't suffer any lasting damage. And all the major sports have been hit by labor disagreements over the past two decades, including the canceling of the World Series in 1994 and the Stanley Cup in 2005. What if there was no Super Bowl in 2012? Football will most likely survive, but that one day event is so different than both the hockey and baseball championships. Could you imagine no Super Bowl commercials?

source: http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.aspx?id=243853

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Jeff Pearlman, “online haters,” and the art of Internet self defense
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2011, 02:32:35 AM »
One of my faves, Craig Calcaterra of NBC Sports-dot-com, responded to Jeff Pearlman's bit about contacting trolls on his message board.  The great thing, of course, is that Pearlman is getting the same flamethrowing treatment that he gives to certain athletes (e.g. Barry Bonds).

I think we've all learned a little...

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
King Kaufman at Bleacher Report
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2011, 01:22:40 AM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2011, 02:23:53 AM »
^ lol Bleacher report

and you thought Bobby Knight was violent :lol:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2011, 01:12:39 AM »
crrazy fuckin mascots :lol:

And this is nuts:  :bleed eyes: warning if you got a weak stomach for this kinda shit.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2011, 01:55:47 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1182632/index.htm

The Great Poz on Nick Charles, a broadcaster I saw on teevee as much as anyone in the early days of cable.  Anyone remember "CNN Sports Tonight" with Charles and Fred Hickman?  Watched that more than I do Sportscenter these days.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
hmm i think, was it the channel? cuz I saw some on CNN or Headline News.

man, it's pretty sad how SI has become as a magazine tho, all the blogger and ESPN behemoth taking over.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2011, 05:33:53 PM »
Anyone heard of the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference?  Bill Simmons calls it "Dorkapalooza."  Panel discussions on sports: kinda high brow topics with panelists featuring media members, front office personnel, etc.  Sells out every year.

Watching a stream of one presentation that's NBA-centric, unable to "change channels."  Well, the price IS right.  Ain't technology grand!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2011, 01:12:11 AM »
^ and those billions of TV revenue is why the NFL is in gridlock. Genius!!

Fuck, :bleed eyes: soccer player Luis Moreno takes it out on an owl "I wanted to see if it could fly." who happened to be the opposing team's mascot  :tama-mad:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Who's your favorite wrestler?
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2011, 04:47:29 AM »
saw this on Jim Rome Show:

Who's your favorite wrestler? It's the guy who does it on 1 leg

Anthony Robles  :thumbsup

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2011, 07:40:56 AM »
Some fans just don't have tolerance for crowd shots...

ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2011, 10:27:54 AM »

Keep your eye on the ball
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2011, 06:12:32 AM »

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »
Gotta show the Canadian love

Happy Birthday GSP!

Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline rheingau9

• ecchi
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »
Big NFL fan during the Patriots era, but lost interest when my cable company lost ESPN. Now I just watch MLB and Formula 1.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »
My Twitter experience has been 1000 percent more peaceful ever since I unfollowed Bill Simmons...

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
Japan beats Germany in Women's World Cup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
Aw man, I was watching a little late-night news just now before heading to bed and realized (from the sports report) that I missed the home run derby today. :(

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Itano Tomomi - COME PARTY!