JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tomosaka Rie - Ikenai Ko

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485146 times)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2006, 06:48:13 PM »
Quote from: arian
but...how can i let the battery drain if it always shuts off at 20%? :o it never completely drains anymore.

hmm, if i have no other choice, i'll take it to the store. either that or go with ebc's other suggestion and update the entire software.
No need to drain to 0%, if you look in your power settings there will be probably 2 settings: warning at 20% and 'shutdown' (I use hibernate in my laptop) at around 5% (3% on my Sony).
Its a safety buffer, because if it would run to 0% you would lose everything still in memory including open files...

Offline huggumwuggums

• さゆみのLOVEマシーン
  • Member+
  • Soo Young = My genie
Tech-related problems
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2006, 07:11:44 PM »
I have this file that I can't seem to delete. Everytime I try to, the "this file is used by another person or program warning" comes up. I only have one user on this PC and I even tried to delete it in safe mode! Any ideas guys?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2006, 07:15:13 PM »
Have a virus scanner? it might lock it while scanning.
Or for avi files I have found that sometimes players keep a 'bad' file locked until the next reboot.

Try deleting from the commandline, the windows explorer sometimes locks a file while determining which 'type' it is

trick to try:
- rename file
- reboot
- delete renamed file (via commandline).

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2006, 07:17:43 PM »
I assume you've tried rebooting, or renaming the file first, or opening notepad and saving a file over the problem file.  If that all fails then I can be of help.

Just last week I had a file that I couldn't delete, everything failed, then after an hour of googling I found a forum where someone else had a problem file and the solution was to use delinvfile and that worked!
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline huggumwuggums

• さゆみのLOVEマシーン
  • Member+
  • Soo Young = My genie
Tech-related problems
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2006, 02:00:18 AM »
Thank for your suggestions guys! I used delinvfile and guess what? It worked! Thanks dan!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:03:22 AM by huggumwuggums »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2006, 08:59:54 PM »
I was just wondering.

The stock thermal pad on my cpu seems to be losing it's effectiveness (I'm idling at around 45C) so I was thinking of getting some arctic silver.

I just want to know what the difference between arctic silver 5 and arctic silver ceramique is. I could save a few bucks by getting ceramique but I don't know if the couple dollars is worth it

Or maybe I should get something else completely. Any suggestions would help.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
Tech-related problems
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2006, 01:09:11 AM »
Just get the AS5 normal (not ceramique), it's easy to use and does the job. When you apply this stuff though, make sure you really thoroughly clean both surfices of the heatsink and cpu from any previous crap. Also clean out your fans of dust and googlies that are in the way of good airflow. Other than that, if it's still getting hot it's probably just the weather and you'll have to wait till Winter again hehe.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2006, 03:38:29 AM »
Quote from: ebc
Just get the AS5 normal (not ceramique), it's easy to use and does the job. When you apply this stuff though, make sure you really thoroughly clean both surfices of the heatsink and cpu from any previous crap. Also clean out your fans of dust and googlies that are in the way of good airflow. Other than that, if it's still getting hot it's probably just the weather and you'll have to wait till Winter again hehe.

I was thinking it was the weather but according to sandra lite 07 the inside of my case is actually colder than my actual room :lol: it also says that I should get new thermal paste. I guess the weather could still effect how hot the cpu runs, but I think some new thermal protection wouldn't hurt.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Tech-related problems
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2006, 06:05:33 AM »
What's the easiest (and hopefully free) way to convert a jpeg to a pdf file?

Thanks for any tips!

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2006, 06:31:22 AM »
Quote from: Saburo
What's the easiest (and hopefully free) way to convert a jpeg to a pdf file?

download cutepdf, it will install as a printer driver.  open up the jpeg file and print, is that easy enough?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Tech-related problems
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2006, 06:55:30 AM »
Thanks ohbahsan!  I'm sure this is dummy-proof!

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2006, 11:53:54 AM »
ok this problem is really weird. since the past few days i think ive been getting a weird looking cannot find server page

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/124/sdadatr3.jpg

why does it have advertisement to go with it? and it randomly appears whenever i click on a new page. -.- is it a stupid spyware? cuz i ran my spyware for like 10 times already and i couldnt even get rid of it

Offline idiotboy

• day-to ja nai!
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2006, 12:29:49 PM »
Quote from: Mugen
ok this problem is really weird. since the past few days i think ive been getting a weird looking cannot find server page

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/124/sdadatr3.jpg

why does it have advertisement to go with it? and it randomly appears whenever i click on a new page. -.- is it a stupid spyware? cuz i ran my spyware for like 10 times already and i couldnt even get rid of it

have you checked yr hosts files in yr system folder? cos it looks like something is redirecting you every time you attempt to access whichever page yr trying to access. the host file tells yr browser where to look: but in typical microsoft form, it's a: in plaintext (open it with notepad) and b: not read-only - so spyware can edit/ re-write it if you've not made it read-only or yr firewall/ anti-spyware/anti-virus software hasn't protected it.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »
Sounds like someone/thing replaced your friendly 'cannot find website' page, Microsoft's AntiSpyware had something that monitored that for changes, can't actually find that in the new 'defender' version....
It should normally go the some msn search page.

Maybe this KB article will help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323869/en-us

Offline Janihan

• Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2006, 03:47:05 PM »
Have you tried multiple spyware detectors? Sometimes using a different one can help.

Also have you tried if different browsers work normally?

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
Tech-related problems
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2006, 04:50:31 PM »
It looks like a browse hijacker so you need to mainly work in safemode to remove it. The problem with the page being different to what it's meant to be is cause the hijacker's changed you hosts file. You need to get this program:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Hoster_d4626.html to restore your hosts file (click restore MS original hosts file). But this might not completely fix the problem cause the hijacker will probably modify your hosts file again later so you need to really clean the hijacker for good which does get tricky. There is a HUGE step by step way of cleaning stuff here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

But basically you need to work in safe mode, and run pretty much as many spyware cleaners as you can. If you want to you can post your hijack this log here and I'll have a look.

Offline 18seconds

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Tech-related problems
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2006, 06:12:47 PM »
I'd recommend a format. You can get your computer set up so it's easy to do. It might take a while the first time but once you've got everything backed up and know where all the programs you need are, it can be quite fast and easy.

Offline reine

• I @ Yume . . /
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2006, 07:20:55 PM »
I think format is not a really a solution (what ebc said I think will work, and try using Firefox see if it only happens for IE), actually I think format is never a solution 99% of the time. Don't become a format addict ^.^
I haven't formatted my computer since I buy it (like 6 years ago) and it runs smooth as silk never crashes etc; as long as you do your homework, format is almost never necessary.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2006, 11:06:14 PM »
here's my logfile using hijack this
http://hjt.thegreatchai.com/viewlog.php?log=1155157438_hijackthis.log

imma try using some of the methods posted here to fix. i dont wanna format my comp because i have A LOT of files in here and I dont wanna lose them.

Offline Janihan

• Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2006, 12:40:07 AM »
I don't have any prior experience with HijackThis but with a quick glance and some googleing I found 2 suspicious items.

1. O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
This probably isn't causing any problems but it seems to monitor your actions for Realtek. This was probably installed with something related to your sound card.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ALCMTR.EXE-240.html

2. O2 - BHO: ohb - {5ED7D3DE-6DBE-4516-8712-01B1B64B7057} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchTool\nse127.dll
This one seems like spyware called SearchTool or something similar.
Atleast the registy key (5ED7D3DE-6DBE-4516-8712-01B1B64B7057) is listed here and here (number 1105) as spyware.

Also as an extra I found an extremely similar case here. The url that he is sent to (http://64.40.106.134/dns/?err=dns) is only one digit away from your url (http://64.40.106.133/dns/?err=dns). He even has the #2 suspicious thing. Even though the case isn't solved yet checking it for updates in the future might help.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tomosaka Rie - Ikenai Ko