JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rashinban

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 483594 times)

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2006, 12:20:55 AM »
Just wondering something, on my motherboard there are 3 slots for cards. One of them is now added with a network card, the other is with a ATI Radeon 9250 and the third slot is with a Creative 5:1 speaker card.

The problem is when I get to Device Manageer it says there's a crash between my cards. I don't know what happened so just wondering if any of you know how to fix it. Thanks!
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline tivx

• Beauty To My Ai's
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2006, 12:46:07 AM »
Quote from: frblckstr1
Not really, but I at times do not burn at maximum speed (most at 4x) anyway although a DVD might say it is allowed, not all other DVD-readers will read it correctly.

It might also have to do with how many other things you are doing on the same computer while burning.

ah thanks i'll remember that next time

R.I.P. Kyle, already missing you man.........

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2006, 07:39:05 AM »
Quote from: JTRIX
Just wondering something, on my motherboard there are 3 slots for cards. One of them is now added with a network card, the other is with a ATI Radeon 9250 and the third slot is with a Creative 5:1 speaker card.

The problem is when I get to Device Manageer it says there's a crash between my cards. I don't know what happened so just wondering if any of you know how to fix it. Thanks!
Sounds like an interrupt sharing problem, thought that did not happen anymore with the current motherboards??

If you added the network card last, check if that clashes with cards that where already there, the info on the device manager should actually yell you what the problem is.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2006, 01:29:21 AM »
I need some help playing DVDs from other regions on my PC. I've been using DVD Region Killer for a while now, and everything was working fine. But it hasn't been working for me lately. My drive is still set to region 1. I tried reinstalling the program, but it still doesn't work. Does anyone know another way to play DDVDs from other regions?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2006, 07:37:35 AM »
Quote from: Yoake.no.Senshi
Does anyone know another way to play DDVDs from other regions?
Add another DVD drive? I always thought that to be the simplest way of doing it, never had the need to try it.

Offline huggumwuggums

• さゆみのLOVEマシーン
  • Member+
  • Soo Young = My genie
Tech-related problems
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2006, 11:29:09 AM »
Is there a way to burn a DVD to play on your DVD Player without having to create a menu so that it'll play automatically when I put it in?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2006, 12:40:10 PM »
There should be an 'auto play' option on your DVD menu editor you are using somewhere.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2006, 04:38:15 AM »
Hey guys, it seems that you could definitely solve my problem.  I want to encode a subtitle file into a video file but i just don't know what software to use.  U see, i have both the video file and the subtitle file and i could play it together using a codec pack, but what i really want is to learn how to encode the sub. and then save or "render as..." or whatever it is, into one video file.  Can you guys help me?  thanks a lot.  I'm anxious to hear from you.

Offline Janihan

• Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2006, 08:49:58 PM »
Quote from: bigdnm01
Hey guys, it seems that you could definitely solve my problem.  I want to encode a subtitle file into a video file but i just don't know what software to use.  U see, i have both the video file and the subtitle file and i could play it together using a codec pack, but what i really want is to learn how to encode the sub. and then save or "render as..." or whatever it is, into one video file.  Can you guys help me?  thanks a lot.  I'm anxious to hear from you.

I think the easy way to do this is to encode the whole video again with the subtitles "burned" in to the video. This way you'll have a new avi or mpg or whatever you want with the subtitles in it but the quality will suffer a bit since you'll have to reencode the video.  Since you didn't mention anything about your operating system or about your experience with dealing with video encoding, I'll asume that you're using Windows and your experience is pretty minimal. I'd suggest you use this guide if the source file was an mpeg4 (most .avis are) or mpeg1 file. With a quick glance the guide seemed pretty decent and easy to understand. If the original file is a mpeg2 file you could try using VirtualDub-MPEG2 instead of the original VirtualDub and otherwise follow the guide.

Another way you could combine the video and the subtitles is using a container that supports subtitles such as matroska (.mkv). Atleast I think you should be able to keep the original video so no quality loss but playing matroska files can be annoying because most video players don't support it by default. With a quick look I couldn't find a simple guide for doing this.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
Tech-related problems
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2006, 10:00:23 PM »
my MAC always shuts off when the battery drains (0%), obviously.

thing is, now whenever it's still got 20% left in the battery meter, it just shuts down. is my battery messed up?

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2006, 04:52:32 AM »
I think it's your battery meter that's fucked?

Do you always charge it down to zero before charging, or what? Batteries face more wear when subjected to that, I believe.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Program name
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2006, 08:21:24 AM »
Not really a problem, but a query: what's the name of that program that scans a video and outputs a quick jpeg of video thumbnails?

Everybody is using it and I wanna be part of it.

Thanks for any leads!

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2006, 08:24:37 AM »
Quote from: Saburo
Not really a problem, but a query: what's the name of that program that scans a video and outputs a quick jpeg of video thumbnails?

i use Image Grabber II

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Tech-related problems
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »
Quote from: ohbahsan
i use Image Grabber II

Thanks ohbahsan!!  I'll check it out.

I plan to upload something to the torrent page and want to have one of those thumbnail thingies to accompany the post.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
Tech-related problems
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2006, 11:18:42 AM »
Quote from: Maliciel
I think it's your battery meter that's fucked?

Do you always charge it down to zero before charging, or what? Batteries face more wear when subjected to that, I believe.

most of the time, it tells me the battery is low when it's at around 10% or so and that's when i plug it in. but sometimes i forget to, and it reaches 0% and shuts down (therefore i charge it again and everything's okay).

so you think its my battery meter that's messed?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2006, 12:28:32 PM »
Batteries these days (lion's that is) like to be charged above 60%, below that it counts as a 'charge cycle' and there are a limitted number of those it can handle (last number I know of is around 400).

You can use a program like MobileMeter to check how you battery is doing:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/

Program download is here: http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/release/0310/mm0310.zip

Under options it has Battery information, it tells you about the capacity of the battery, and the 'Wear level'.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
Tech-related problems
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2006, 12:56:37 PM »
Quote from: frblckstr1
You can use a program like MobileMeter to check how you battery is doing:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Oakland/8259/
But she has a mac, so I dunno if that will help.

Arian, I'm not sure if you've tried updating your software? I've never used a mac so I really don't know how you go about doing that kind of thing but that would be the first thing to try. Also if possible even try updating the bios.
But if that doesn't fix it then maybe take it to where you bought it and get them to replace the battery for you, which should be under warranty.

Offline idiotboy

• day-to ja nai!
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »
Quote from: arian
most of the time, it tells me the battery is low when it's at around 10% or so and that's when i plug it in. but sometimes i forget to, and it reaches 0% and shuts down (therefore i charge it again and everything's okay).

so you think its my battery meter that's messed?

batteries have a memory, so if you re-charge them before they drain completely, they gradually 'remember' that the zero point is somewhat higher than zero. the way aruond this is to let it drain completely every now and again - this resets (more or less: batteries. like elephants, have very long memories!) the zero to be effectively zero (the only way to avoid the buildup of battery memory is to condition the battery correctly upon first purchase, and then always let it drain if you use it at all; prior to re-charging).

my old laptop used to give me ~4.5 hours of life at normal usage; now i'm only getting ~3 hours. short of replacing the battery, there's not much i can do about it.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
Tech-related problems
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2006, 02:40:24 PM »
Quote from: idiotboy
batteries have a memory, so if you re-charge them before they drain completely, they gradually 'remember' that the zero point is somewhat higher than zero. the way aruond this is to let it drain completely every now and again - this resets (more or less: batteries. like elephants, have very long memories!) the zero to be effectively zero (the only way to avoid the buildup of battery memory is to condition the battery correctly upon first purchase, and then always let it drain if you use it at all; prior to re-charging).

but...how can i let the battery drain if it always shuts off at 20%? :o it never completely drains anymore.

hmm, if i have no other choice, i'll take it to the store. either that or go with ebc's other suggestion and update the entire software.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Tech-related problems
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2006, 06:44:26 PM »
Quote from: idiotboy

my old laptop used to give me ~4.5 hours of life at normal usage; now i'm only getting ~3 hours. short of replacing the battery, there's not much i can do about it.
Sorry this is NOT true for the new generation of batteries! (it was for the old Nicad/Nihi's from more then like 5 years back).

The new type of batteries have no 'low charge memory', they do wear down by each charge cycle, hence the less time they can supply the machine with power e.g. over the years a battery will lose approx 1/3 of its capacity depending on how many times you fully recharge it (the more full recharges, the faster it wears down).

And yes the only think you can do with the new style batteries is replace .The old one's you could try to 'revive' by putten then 'on ice' and then 'reformat' by several re-charge cycles, but that does not last long.

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rashinban