JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Beat Crusaders - Love Dischord

Author Topic: [Discuss] Idols you can meet ...?  (Read 12871 times)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
[Discuss] Idols you can meet ...?
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »
AKB48 has always been promoted as the idols you can meet, but what does this actually mean?

Step 1: You buy a cd to get an event ticket:

Step 2: You go the the venue where there'll be thousands of people:

Step 3: After hours of waiting you get to spend 2.5 seconds with the girl of your choice before the security guy pushes you along:

Step 4: Happy.

---------------

This raises several thoughts...
- does this even count as 'meeting your idol'?
- how long will this concept work? I mean, handshakes are fine, but I imagine people could get bored of events like this.
- is AKB48 getting too big for stuff like this? They already ditched the two-shot system a while ago iirc...

In the end, the dude seems happy so I guess that's all that matters?  :lol:

Offline z3144228

• ん♥♥
  • Member+
Re: [Discuss] Idols you can meet ...?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:40:33 PM »
Idol you can meet (for seconds)   :nervous

Demand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Supply

Offline hina

• Gekikara Underling
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »
when they thought about this concept, I wonder how is it any different from other handshake events of other idol groups. Does anyone know? I've never been to one obviously.  :nervous

Offline clockface

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
You know what? This might be the best question to ask AKB themselves if they have another Q&A panel. YOU GOT THAT MAL?

When AKB were small time they had video phone interaction, 2-shots, outdoor activities with the girls and of course handshakes. Fame has it's price and I think they are more seen as Japan's Super Idol Group these days.

I still think the tagline is relevant just because of their theater shows. No other idol group has that.

Offline hina

• Gekikara Underling
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:01:25 PM »
I still think the tagline is relevant just because of their theater shows. No other idol group has that.
yeah, the theater was also made that small and the stage closer to the audience so they would feel closer to the girls.

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 02:05:44 AM »
It does feel different nowadays with their popularity through the roof. I remember reading stories back in 2007 where people would go and were able to have small but sizable conversations and it wasn't as rushed. Definitely looks like staff has to have a system and stick to it now though to be fair and get everyone in.

At the same time though, most other handshakes I hear about with other groups are the same way, so AKB48 has become more of your run-of-the-mill idol group that happens to have a theater. As long as they have that, I don't think there's much chance of their charm fading in the next several years. Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I think AKB48's formula will survive longer than your general group as long as the theater is open. They close that.... I'd be worried. Very worried.

Kinda bummed that 2shots and the other cool events are gone or reduced, though.

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:37:05 AM »
yeah, like most already said...

Then - AKB had less fans, and needed more exposure. Hence more time for everyone to 'handshake' with the girls.

Now - Shitload of fans. Its hard to manage a crowd, let along a rabid wota line... i don't blame them for "rushing" the fans during these events. It's not an issue of 'preventing' wota from enjoying their moment with the girls, its more of that the girls, staff and crew all have schedules to keep, not to mention how exhausting it is for everyone involved.

2-shots, webchats, etc sure might be gone, But the 'interaction' part is far from dead, senbatsu elections are obviously gonna be yearly now, and they recently had AmebaPigg "meet ups" and song elections. These things from my view is what makes AKB stand out, its because the fans can affect (not just negatively) how the group evolves in some manner (even if its little), by voting, the fans have control over who gets to be the faces of AKB (lets all think that the elections weren't rigged, of course lol acchan). i guess what i'm saying is while they may not be as 'intimate' actually meeting them, it still gives fans something to look forward to and keep them busy.

And i'm comfortable to think that the Theater 'formula' is effective in so many levels, that they won't kill that off. They'd be stupid to do so.
-It's the only reason why 48+ girls under a single banner can 'work', its hard enough to expose 3-7 girls on tv/media (like most idol groups), so with a big number and multiple teams, rotation thru Theater shows surely gives everyone a chance to get out there and be known. Of course you can't help that "front girls" of AKB will be more popular/known, but at least in Theater it balances it out.
-The Theatre shows are also tight and small (relatively), but frequent and is high in demand (for tickets). This is financially good for them (AKS) because people will pay just to have a chance of viewing a show, and it (probably) doesn't cost much to produce a day's set. Not to mention the merch store. wota loves swag, and will buy anything, having a store in the same location is convenient (and enticing) for everyone.
Considering that the popularity manages to be stable (meaning, at a profitable level), its safe.

so... 2.5 seconds or 2.5 mins, who the fuck cares, you're probably jizzing your pants at the sight of them 5meters away.

ro・∀・nin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:59:08 AM by ronin »

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
The 'Ai ni Ikeru Aidoru' concept is alive and well.

The fact that there's so many fan interaction events with the frontgirls at what is possibly the height of AKB48's popularity, shows that they're still committed to the concept, even if it results in people not getting to meet their faves for very long at a time. The theatre keeps AKB48 grounded, not in the psychological sense but rather in the 'roots' sense. It provides an avenue for every one of the girls, and at the same time provides insurance. Because let's face it, this isn't going to last forever. And no matter what, that theatre pays for itself, and it will always be there. I'm sure there are some who feel that the man is trying to bring them down, but it's more an effect of them being more popular than before.

I think it still counts. Most of the time you don't even get close to idols unless they're b-list. The concept has worked for 5 years, it will continue, even if it's scaled down. And didn't they do 2shots with SnS? That's still pretty recent..

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 08:33:46 AM »
i live so far away that this argument is not valid at all for me XD... but hey i like some of their tunes (specially from the first album)

Offline writerserenyty

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • L(^▽^) Gucha~~
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 08:50:02 AM »
I think this is the thing that might make some of the wota turn away and move on to the next group like Momoiro Clover who still do super personal events like AKB used to. I think that AKB still does it, but it's mainly more like they still do it on a technicality. The more personal events seem to be gone and while they are definitely more personable than a lot of idol groups they don't seem to be AS approachable as they used to be. When I first heard of AKB (though I wasn't really THAT into them at the time) and the theater I thought it was SUPER cool because hey, I am a woman and 2000 yen for a live event is great. However now that there are a lot more fans I'm worried that when I go study abroad that I'll even be ABLE to go see a show in the theater.

I'm no expert, but I think that as the group becomes more and more mainstream this might turn SOME (not all, obviously) wota off; I think the theater formula still works, but at the same time the popularity of the group itself could be what makes some of the wota decide to support another group. It's nothing against AKB; it's just that I think a lot of wota LIKE the smaller, more personal events and rooting for the underdog, which AKB is nowhere near being right now.

Offline Anariel

• Meronpan Society
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
since 2:15

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 07:35:55 PM »
Man, there really is a wota artform to those things. I'd need about ten tickets to get over the initial shock. :lol:

Offline Anariel

• Meronpan Society
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »
Man, there really is a wota artform to those things. I'd need about ten tickets to get over the initial shock. :lol:

There aren't many fans in small towns where handshakes take place therefore you can more time for your oshimen and see that security guy i seem that he can't remove me until i dont talk with my idol and yeah many tickets - much fun!

Offline frantzdream

• Sakidolator <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
AKBN 0: Idols you can date with  :nervous
http://www.akbn.tv/member.html

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »
^Just to clarify, that is in NO WAY related to AKB48!  :nervous

Offline frantzdream

• Sakidolator <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:10:16 PM »
^
:lol: XD
I know, I know  XD
But it was to talk about Idols and the way they meet fans etc...  :)
And this band...is....Special  XD

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »
So, let's assume you do get to talk to one of them for 3 seconds. What would you say? How would you say it? Saying something in Japanese may be a risk, since they may not understand you. On the other, you'll probably score bonus points for trying and they most of them won't understand English anyway... unless you keep your English really simple.

It's hard to come up with something clever to say in three seconds.. you wanna stand out somehow, but so do the other 10.000 people..

Offline Anariel

• Meronpan Society
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »
I thought many times about it, when my japan trip will come i make a good way to impress on my oshimen but now i haven't something special. What reason think about it now if i don't come to handshake event...

and why 3 sec, i gonna buy ~10 tickets (rena 2-3, jurippa, kumi and other)

I hope that japanese security can pull same like them japanese wotas but they let gaijins say more to oshimen (5-10 sec) fuck you i came from nowhere to see her!

10k ppl ? no! it's like 1-2k, and if you want come to handshake event pls choose place in province (not Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo). The fewer people is the easier get more!

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 06:39:46 PM »
I think the main 'meet' is meeting them in the theatre.

set made by me
Here's me singing and dancing!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=15604.0

Offline Anariel

• Meronpan Society
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
I don't know about whole time, but in this summer almost each week they performed in other cities and i can't say that LOT of ppl was there. I see some videos when fans have more time to talk with their oshimens!

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Beat Crusaders - Love Dischord