JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mika Nakashima - Over Load

Author Topic: [Discuss] AKB48's Competition?  (Read 11373 times)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
[Discuss] AKB48's Competition?
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
Which groups or artists do you consider to be AKB48's main rivals/competition?

Is it still Morning Musume? Will other new H!P acts like Smileage form a threat?
Will Idoling kick their asses?
Or do we look at Kpop, such as Kara and SNSD who are working on a Japanese invasion?
What about underdog groups, such as Tokyo Girls Style, Afilia Saga East or Momoiro Clover?
When it comes to record sales, are the boy groups of JE the main competition?

:panic:

Offline writerserenyty

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • L(^▽^) Gucha~~
Re: [Discuss] AKB48's Competition?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
I actually think Momoiro Clover has a shot.

Their major debut single (yes, their first one) hit #3 on the weekly Oricon and #1 on the daily oricon. That's even better than AKB's debut. They have really great members, great music, and their performances are amazing (on the Music Japan female idol special, it was MomoClo's performance that got people talking).

So yeah, I think MomoClo has a shot.

Offline usa~sayu

• ~Fany Kingdom~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ~sweet kiss~
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
ARASHI. No explanation needed XD

I wanna have a rival collabortion ala AKBxARASHI :heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »
Considering even AKB's subgroups outsell most H!P's groups weekly sales in a day, I'm going to venture a no on that one. I'll leave my opinion out of it. :nervous I also think Momoiro Clover is one to watch out for. If they can catch on, they will be a force to be reckoned with. And I think they deserve to catch on, they're pretty awesome. Tokyo Girls Style has the charisma to catch on as well, but Avex is probably going to drop the ball like they do on everything and not promote them right. :(

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
TGS's future seems bleak enough  :smhid and not to mention they are under avex. though it seems like they are really trying to break out, the free stream concerts helps.

Momokuro could catch on, if they do it right... Though, what they lack imo is, an "Acchan" (sad to say, but its true)

overall, Perfume wins.
lol, i know, not idol... but still.

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline Crazy shizz

• Anya's Slave
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »
I think SNSD could be competition because  even though they haven't debuted yet.  Theyve already got alot of fans in Japan  :nervous

Offline Kookyprincess22

• self-proclaimed youngest female on jph!p
  • Member+
  • rawr
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 02:16:42 AM »
I think Momoiro Clover definitely has a shot so they might be able to catch up to AKB since their major debut single came in at #3 on the Oricon charts but it might take them just a few months to catch up to AKB's level but I wish they would because I love them negl.

I'm a ninja pirate.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 04:49:54 AM »
imo korean groups are big competition but Momoiro Clover can do some good things too

Offline rtpaus3178

• Member+
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 05:42:01 AM »
i'd probably say SNSD.

in the long term i reckon there will be a rival competition with AKB.
although i'm not really an SNSD fan but i know they'll do exceptionally well with their first debut.

you know, SNSD will have a tough time if they're going to dominate in Japan. AKB and Arashi are the ones owning the country at the moment

Offline writerserenyty

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • L(^▽^) Gucha~~
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:50:34 AM »
Other than BoA, has a Korean artist really done THAT well in Japan, though? I mean, I know girl groups are really popular in Japan right now with AKB and all, but SNSD and most of the KPop music industry is really different than Japanese music.

I think SNSD could do WELL, but I don't think enough to rival AKB.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
Though, what they lack imo is, an "Acchan" (sad to say, but its true)

I don't really know momoiro, but based on the magazine pics I've seen they look like 6 Komoris  :lol: (meaning: they had a surprised/clueless look on their faces). I checked out a PV and it was actually pretty damn cool. Much more high energy than I expected. I wonder if they have any sort of general appeal though.

Afilia Saga East: too much moe based, too pervy  :nervous

TGS: too cutesy

Kpop: I think the day will come that a Kpop act will defeat an AKB single in the charts. However, it'll be hard for a Kpop act to spread around the country through all sorts of promotions and appear on TV shows as much as AKB does. So in that sense, I doubt a Kpop act will ever 'rule' like AKB48 does atm.

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »
i'd say wota "culture" plays a big part in charting/popularity.
korean artists draw a somewhat different crowd (read: more legit, general mass kinda crowd), and it would be possible for them to be popular, but it won't have the same kinda of air to it like idol groups do. It can be a good thing, because it can prove that the numbers actually speak for themselves (and not mass buying antics). But it might not have the longevity of idol groups because like most of the artists, they come and go easily (think: flavor of the week) without a dedicated (obsessive) fanbase backing them up.

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
Other than BoA, has a Korean artist really done THAT well in Japan, though? I mean, I know girl groups are really popular in Japan right now with AKB and all, but SNSD and most of the KPop music industry is really different than Japanese music.

True, but KARA did break a record with the recent release of ミスター.

At the moment I don't really see any 'rivals' of AKB48 per se.

Not unlike back when AKB48 was coming up and H!P was a convenient one, at least. TGS and S/mileage are pretty interesting, but they don't have the numbers (TGS still does lives in small venues) that would really put them up against AKB. I'd very much like the korean groups to come in and show AKB48 up (which would result in more exciting dances, obviously), but that's pretty unrealistic as everything goes.

Offline Malachite

• 鏡の中のキモヲタ
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »
I don't think there is any real competition at this stage. AKB48 is too big and all powerful for anything to come close. Their main rivalry will come from groups that they already work together with. Local 48 groups will compete with each other and this is going to expand all over Japan. The thing is, these groups are all essentially controlled by the same people at the top of the pyramid. If Alex Jones was into idols, he would be all over this.

Today AKB48 dominates the media like some sort of female JE. Aki-P has built an empire.

Offline Crazy shizz

• Anya's Slave
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »

I think SNSD could do WELL, but I don't think enough to rival AKB.
Tohoshinki is one of Japan's biggest stars ._____.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
Today AKB48 dominates the media like some sort of female JE. Aki-P has built an empire.

I dunno, it's kinda early.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 06:34:50 PM »
Shura discovered that Afilia Saga East also has more than 50 girls under its wing! If the magic thing picks up, they might have a chance  XD

Avex' Super Girls stated they aim for AKB48 level... should be interesting to see them develop  :)

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
avex have some big powers, enough to push their groups up there... well seems that they want a piece of the cake and are working for it

Offline riama

• Oshima Yuko..
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 09:12:19 AM »
Akb48 will never have a competition.
IMO
They own Japan.

utube      |     tumblr

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 05:30:16 AM »
avex have some big powers, enough to push their groups up there... well seems that they want a piece of the cake and are working for it

Not if SweetS, the original dream, EARTH, Folder5, AI-SACHI, etc. are any indicator. Avex has constantly dropped the ball. Their girl group marketing has never really been too good unfortunately. Too bad since they've seen a lot of great talent in and out the door.  :smhid Still, wota groups are "in" right now, so they might put a better team on it. Seeing what they did with Oshima Mai, though, I'm not holding my breath.

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mika Nakashima - Over Load