JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: X21 - Holy Holiday

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 305881 times)

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #980 on: March 30, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »
^Well, you brought it up, so it's only fair to give you dibs XD. Though I could swear I saw an Ai/Aya around here somewhere, maybe in  oneshot.

@Junkie-chan- Aww, thanks, makes me feels better about my obsession fandom. Also makes me not want to abandon all Takgaki stories I've thought up. Maybe we need an AIvan fic?

Offline Beecubed

• Charmy Follower 4 Life. <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I am of IshiYoshi faith.
« Reply #981 on: April 03, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
I've been into Charmikitty recently, they're just so wrong, yet so right, like Tanagaki,

Tanagaki? I haven't read that one yet! Still got a lot to read here at  :jphip:

Charmikitty is a pairing that has really interesting because of the conflicting personalities. I love reading about them, almost as much as IshiYoshi.  :heart:

Yes I do, ever since I was a baby.

Do you find it hard to get chapters written, then? I'd imagine so... but everybody's pace is different  I guess. I'm just a regular kid and I still have so many problems with sitting down long enough to get something decent written  :nervous

I don't mind knowing what is coming, as long as it's well executed....... there's no such as a completely original story, not in our time. XD

Agreed. And to be honest, I've come to not expect much originality from fanfiction (I come from a Winglin stance here  XD). I don't place my expectations high for anything actually. So when I come across a really good fic, I feel quite surprised and inspired. ^__^

What draws you most to a fanfic? It can be more than one thing; pairing, genre (as in comedy/angst/fluff/etc), theme/setting, or anything else you can think of.

For me, the storyline and characterisation rule supreme. As long as those two elements are delivered effectively, the fic can involve anybody for all I care.

I would go further to add that since every pairing as their own quirks and dynamics, it is more to that particular type of dynamic that I am interested than the pairing per se; though it helps to care about the people in the pairing as well.

For sure! I think how the author portrays these personalities is VERY important.

Of course, it helps if the writer knows how to portray what I'm looking for. Tension can be created in conversation, even in description;

Especially in description. Well, more than just description, I think word choice is critical. More at the end of the post...

I find that it is never enough to simply state a emotion or thought, it must be shown through, well, everything that the writer deigns to show.

You mean the fair art of showing rather than telling? xD That's something I'm working very hard on at the moment, though the professionals tell you it's best to have a good combination of both telling and showing. I went through creative writing programs in high school because I was so in love with writing. A lot of my writing perceptions at the time completely changed... you are constantly growing all the time as a writer. There's no perfection in writing. Maybe something close to it though...

But ultimately, a good story, even if the grammar isn't great or the pairing's overdone, supersedes all else. Unless the pairing's Yomiki, I hate Yomiki...

Yup yup!
I've read a few extremely memorable fics and they were by authors who had quite messy grammar and punctuation (English was their second/third language). I didn't mind though, because their imagination was just incredible. For me, storyline... above all else.

---

Now, more to do with writing itself...

A few years ago, I got some books from a friend that are 'Writing Fiction' kind of books by professional authors/editors. I got quite a lot of tips from these books... if you guys are really serious about your writing, you should check these kind of books out.

One thing that has really stuck with me is that 'less is more.' Sometimes all we need is a well-placed noun/verb to carry the meaning for us. I do feel that a lot of fanfiction writers (especially those @ the famous Soompi) tend to overuse adjectives and adverbs - these kind of words should be used moderately; they're more like the flavouring of writing. The core of the writing lies in the nouns and verbs. So nowadays, I pay MUCH more attention to these than descriptive words. Adjectives and adverbs can be really distracting because in fanfiction, they're used quite superficially. They detract from meaning rather than add to it.

E.G.
Description must be relevant to the story at hand. You need not describe the "old, scarred, rickety maple table in the foyer" when a simple "table in the foyer" will do. A string of adjectives like this - words with similar meaning and impact - doesn't create much of a mental image and may even distract the readers from your fiction world. This is irrelevant description, description for its own sake. If the table is important, then describe it in a way that shows its relevant to the sotry. The same table described as "a sentry burdened by weeks of unopened mail" becomes an object with a purpose in the household - why do they let their mail go for weeks unopened? It is up to you to guide your readers through the story's events and make sure they don't get lost in a thicket of words and images along the way.

That's one of the most useful tips I've gotten from one of the writing books (as a teenager, I thought the world revolved around adjectives and adverbs xD). The book is called "Description" from the Elements of Fiction Writing series, by Monica Wood, if anybody is interested. She doesn't write the best examples, but good enough that you can see what she's trying to get at. :D

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #982 on: April 04, 2010, 04:55:59 AM »
Do you find it hard to get chapters written, then? I'd imagine so... but everybody's pace is different  I guess. I'm just a regular kid and I still have so many problems with sitting down long enough to get something decent written

Sometimes. ADD/ADHD isn't necessarily about a lack of focus, because sometimes, I can sit down and write for hours on end. But at the same time, when I'm tired of something, I just can't get interested in it. I'm the type of person who can listen to one song on repeat for eight hours a day for a week straight and then just drop it and not listen to it again for a year. I also tend to focus too much on something that catches my attention at the time, like seriously obsess, but I guess I just said that. I guess the easiest way to say it is that I'm fickle.

You know, I might have to look into some of those books, I'm probably in need of some hardcore advice. :sweatdrop:

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #983 on: April 04, 2010, 05:12:51 AM »
Beecubed-so in short i guess you mean simple's best? cus that's all i can do XD

rndy-realy, is that why u got distracted for what u sent me? ur fickle-ness?
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #984 on: April 04, 2010, 05:15:31 AM »
^Yes, that's why. Also why B&B is taking so long. I actually think I did pretty good, I wrote 200 pages before my ADD kicked in.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #985 on: April 19, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »
sorry for the late reply....

^ I really don't have the ADD, but more like efficient writing, I have the ideas laid out, play off the ideas and write it out one chapter at a time, as I go along or one-shots, I have been trying to seek what is out there to do especially my stories have been kinda stale as I keep with a lot of the similar themes and haven't had the time to match music with storyline, and I try to stay away from movies as it doesn't appeal to me.  I think I just take it on and leave it that way as how I believe people see it.  So, it maybe unconventional but that is how I am beginning to work
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline writerjunkie

• Junior Moderator
  • Member+
  • KameShige= <3 ^_^
« Reply #986 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:39 PM »
^
^

Rnd- ADD is a real pain in the ass because it can stop anyone from completing things or doing things also. For me it's that and also it makes it hard for me to concentrate when talking to others. It can be beaten though you just have to be stronger against it. That's what I do when I'm in my classes during lectures. I refuse to take meds for it, because who knows what those things can do to you. O.O Oh, did you also try just writing few a sentences for B&B's new chapter? It may not seem like anything right now, but every word and sentence helps and builds up. Who knows, maybe while you're writing a sentence one day you can end up writing half a page after from sudden inspiration. I've had that happened to me.

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #987 on: April 19, 2010, 05:40:03 PM »
Yeah, I've tried just sitting down and writing just a few sentences, but it takes so long to do and it leaves me feeling unaccomplished. Besides, I don't want writing to feel like pulling teeth. Its my hobby, my escape, I don't want to associate it with bad feelings. Occasionally, when I'm not really writing anything, I'll go through my unfinished stories and reread them to see if I feel like adding anything. Sometimes I can get a few paragraphs written, other times, nothing, but I have a lot to choose from so I usually get something done. *shrug*

As for paying attention in class, yeah, I'm hopeless, I always failed my core classes except English because I found them too boring and tedious to hold my attention. I'm preparing to start college in the summer, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the short time span will keep me interested. Start off small, start off small.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #988 on: May 11, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
I found the cure to writer's block. :O

Well, for me anyway.

Just write. Don't overthink it. I used to spend so much time framing how I wanted a chapter done, that I never actually got down to writing it. :lol: The most difficult part for me has always been the first few words. I found that if I just jumped in and started writing, I could always go back and fix the beginning again later. :) That's why I've been able to update consistently for the last few days. I just went and did it, because I can!

It also helps that the chapters I'm writing are relatively short (2000 words on average is peanuts for me....). No more than 2-3 hours of more or less steady writing, plus time for revisions and the like. It's easy to be efficient when I already thought out the process a long time ago though. Haha. :P

*prances away*

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #989 on: May 11, 2010, 10:12:42 PM »
lol i do that alot XDDD just let it all flow and worry about everything later lol

glad to see that u defeated the writers block though

Offline adventwriter

• Forever a Linlin wota.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #990 on: May 14, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »
I've heard that rule quite a few times...never could actually put it into practice....lol.

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #991 on: May 28, 2010, 01:18:47 AM »
*tip-toes in*

I think my (almost) year long writer's block is S-L-O-W-L-Y ending...I gots a few ideas. Hehe...hopefully, this summer will be productive. :heart:
Because honestly, I miss being part of the fic writers. :D

*ninjas out, barely leaving a trace*

Offline StephanyLee

• Member+
  • Just call me Steph
    • Rdz89Steph
    • s_teph_89
« Reply #992 on: May 28, 2010, 07:48:37 AM »
^
The same is happening to me hehe  ^^

I been writing now and then, so i hope i could go back and write all the ideas i have it's overwhelming  :panic:

Twice took over my life and I'm not the same since then ♡
My love for H!P will never die ♡

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #993 on: May 28, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »
I have no money, no house, no job (but that should change in a couple of days), and nowhere to go.

Sorry about this, but don't hope to see any updates from me anytime soon. Stupid goddamn crisis in my life.

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #994 on: May 28, 2010, 04:12:53 PM »
^
*pat pat* It's ok, Essy~ You update too fast for me anyway. XD I hope life works itself out for you. :heart:

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #995 on: May 29, 2010, 02:25:35 AM »
aw~ essy its alright, get your personal life in the good light k? ^^ hope everything will be ok^^*hugs*

for me with writers block i usualy either wait until i get the flow again or i litsen to some music and i just start writing form the feeling of it^^;

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #996 on: May 29, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »
What they said. You know you have our support if you need it.

Offline adventwriter

• Forever a Linlin wota.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #997 on: June 04, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
I hope life will come back around in your favor Estrea - JPH!P will be here with open arms when you get back.  :jphip:

Offline Beecubed

• Charmy Follower 4 Life. <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I am of IshiYoshi faith.
« Reply #998 on: June 27, 2010, 04:57:03 AM »
Awww, Estrea... I hope you're able to pick things up again. I really gotta catch up with all the fics I'd been following, but yeah, I know I'll hit yours soon and begin craving for more. Just do whatever it takes to move forward. The best of luck, and know we're all behind you!  :love:

---

On another note, I think this has been mentioned before (I can't quite remember...), but can you guys point me to any AiMikitty fics?

I've fallen for this pairing. Hopelessly.

:panic:

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #999 on: June 27, 2010, 05:39:33 AM »
^
Oh heck yes!!! Ai and Miki are damn hot together!!!
Anyway, I believe I have a bit of it in my one-shot thread (shameless pimping! :jphip: ), you'll have to look around though. :nervous I think my first fic is Ai/Miki, in fact...

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: X21 - Holy Holiday