JPHiP Radio (35/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ongaku Gatas - Come Together

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 304981 times)

Offline poets

• The forgotten Writer
  • Member+
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread ("NEW!")
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
Aww, you quoted the uninteresting parts of my post

Funny, I'm the complete opposite. I might have made them, the characters at least, but they're like my...children?

That is probably the cutest thing I've ever heard you say XD... awwww makes we wanna give you candy *gives Estrea candy*

Setting aside that cute comment at the beginning, I do get what you say though. If I recall I wrote something similar about making the character act accordingly in the scenario you put them in. Believe me though, I get what you mean.

:O quick question.... wait never mind  :sweatdrop: it'd compromise my rep. I'd PM it but then that'll just make me weird :|

Oh I think the purist you were thinking of is the "idol purist" where one wouldn't want to change any aspect of their beloved idols. I'm the kind of purist that...is loyal to the very concept of writing itself? Haha. I live and breathe writing, worship it even. Grammar and spelling errors are offensive to me lol, but I can grudgingly turn a blind eye to it at times. I write about the girls, "change" them, as you like to put it, but it's a way for me to try and figure out how their minds work. It's my way of interacting with their personas in a safe environment. It's my way of fangirling? Haha. Some people make AMVs, draw pictures, make siggies and avatars, pic-spam and spend lots of money on merchandise. I just write. Haha.

Oh. Well...so...um... no on the "Estrea The Embellisher" thing?

I hope I haven't intimidated people (too late I think lol), but I just take the whole writing business a lot more seriously? It's so integral a part of me that I wouldn't be complete without it. I respect that others have their own opinions about this, and this is my own. That's all I have to say.

Sorry after comments like:

Funny, I'm the complete opposite. I might have made them, the characters at least, but they're like my...children?

and

Aww don't be scared of the Essy-chan teddy bear. XD

Kinda hard to be intimidated XD

Now to go get myself terribly bruised in a martial arts lesson. Ciao~

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite O_o!!!!

My much shorter opinion on this:
The girl's are based loosely on real people, yes, but those people become somewhat like actors taking on a role. The fic itself is like a movie, having the girls placed in roles and situations that you the writer create for them. You mold them to fit the image you're trying to portray from your perception of their character, direct them in scenarios created in your mind and decide which other 'actors' (in their own new roles) they talk to, fall in love with or hate even.

good point XD, actors in the movie... I like the metaphor. ^_^

*goes to work now* bai~
Rika <3 So funneh

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »
I don't know if anybody cares, but my characters are based on 3 things.  First of all, on the actual people (or what we know of them, be it lies or truth).  Second, they're based on people I know.  Third, there's a little bit of me in each one.  Things like Shige's ditzy way of talking, Shiba-chan's sensibility, and Miki's idiocy come with liberal amounts of me added in terms of opinions and some experiences.  But I don't think my characters are realistic portrayals of our idols.  My stories rely on a whole lot of "what if"s.

The characters that I write that I respect the most are the ones whose opinions or actions I disagree with.  That's when I feel like I've succeeded at something.  It's like that good feeling you get when you argue the opposite side of your opinion in a debate.  You still feel strongly about your opinion, but you revel in the fact that you have a mind open enough to see things from another point of view.

Am, I even answering the question? :lol:  I don't know.  Seemed kind of relevant when I started writing it.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »
@Lollipopgirl: I like the movie metaphor, I always feel like a director when I write. Thinking about scene, setting, camera angles, focuses, little details and stuff that makes up the whole image. Yuuyami always says I have a movie in my mind. XD

@poets: Haha, I'm glad you find me not intimidating. I wouldn't want to scare people off. XD Thanks for the candy though, even though I'm not into sweet things really. ^_^ Any questions you want to ask is fine, just PM me, or add me to AIM or MSN, I'm almost always online if I'm at home. XD The invitation goes out to everyone. Just add me, as rokun says, I'm a cuddly teddy bear once you get to know me >.> Sigh. XD Oh well. And yes, I'm taking lessons in Muay Thai. I just learned how to snap-kick someone properly. >D But don't worry, I don't bite...much. XD

Oh and OTN1, I totally agree with you. XD There's a lot of me in my characters, bits of me, which is why I'm always so attached to them lol. Yeah I get what you mean about writing someone who you disagree with, but sometimes I lose sight of that by kind of becoming that person? Like taking a walk in their shoes. It's creepy how it works, because when I get into character, I start talking and acting like them for a day. o_o Even thinking like them, if I do it right. I don't really have a strong grounding for what makes me "me", even though I would like to think that I'm quite self-aware...

Well that was a long post. o_o Time to shower. XD

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2008, 04:49:31 PM »
xDDDD

I find it amusing that most of us OG post our AIMs and MSNs up but no one else bothers to post their's or talk to us xDDD... Come to think of it, it was me who had to go and talk to some of y'all on MSN/AIM, afraid that I might offend someone or something like that o-o...

And you call us intimidating? lmao xDDD We're all friendly people, yo~ Just don't lick Loser-chan xDDD

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2008, 08:08:03 PM »
But once you get past some point, they begin to develop their own...personality? That's if you know what you're doing though. Lol. In any story, the first few chapters might have been of your total control, but once you get further and things get established, your characters can and will write themselves. XD
Well there seems to be quite a deep discussion going on in here, but I just wanted to respond to this comment by Essy :heart:.

This is what usually seems to happen in my stories. Yeah I direct the characters, give them some initial characteristics to flesh them out a bit, and have ideas for goals and directions I want the plot to take (nothing would ever get written otherwise and I'd get into a state of constant writer's block). But after the story and characters actually start developing, they really somewhat begin to take on a life of their own. I try to prod them on toward that eventual goal, but how the story actually is written comes foremost from how those characters interact with each other. Sometimes those plot events and goals I'd intended even completely change because it just wouldn't feel right to have the character that's been developed do such a thing.

I find myself a lot of the time feeling like I'm just "watching" their interactions to see how they turn out. That's why I'm vague a lot of the time when someone asks what's going to happen to someone or other and just say something like "We'll see how it turns out!" or "I'll be interested to see what happens with her too!" because in many cases, I'm not sure how a specific interaction will turn out, and won't really know until I get to the situation and write it while doing my best to stay true to the characters.

Hmm, so that's not necessarily all that related to the greater discussion going on here, but it does give an impression of a certain segment of it. I rely more on my intuition and observance of interactions between the girls irl or their characters in order to create the characters that inhabit my stories. As people have said, fact can be misinterpreted, misrepresented to where we never know what's really true or not. Of course you can say if it's not, what's the big deal? But I find there's more truth in the subtler expressions that can be observed... You can mask your words easily but it's much harder to mask your body language... Some of the girls who've been around a long while have perhaps even perfected doing that (Sayumi, or perhaps Reina could be examples of that), but as much as they're in the public light there's always something you can draw from what they do. From a flicker of their eyes as they talk, to even just the way they talk, their style of speech, it's all there. The problem is interpretation. I do my best, but even if I'm wrong, to me it gives my characters just that little extra spark of life, and so makes me enjoy what I write so much... I agree with Essy :heart:, and I've said it before myself too: The most important thing is to love what you write yourself.

Ok that's enough from me now. >.>

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »
After reading the last couple of pages...

I'm reminded of why I'm a better reader/commenter than I am a writer. XD
(okay, the whole "being an English teacher" probably has a little bit to do with it too)

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Loser87

« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2008, 11:14:10 AM »
....-bricks yuu-chan- >_>.....

I am nice, unless you happen to catch me in a foul mood then well..that's a different story.
Besides, no one talks to us because YOU, Yuu-chan make us look intimidating with all your...flirtatious and sneaky-cunning thingy you do...>_>

That's all I gotta say lol, everyone seems to have said what was needed to be said in...epic proportions..

And as I see it, every time I am mentioned, it seems..quite negative but in a good way...
hmm...quite a...reputation I have here...I suppose..>_>.....

I understand if I made absolutely no sense here..Its okay, I'm just deprived of sleep at the moment!
I will go away now lol.

Offline High-King

• fanfic lurker...
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »
So yeah, I hope it makes sense :oops: I have a tendency to often lose track of what I'm saying during rants :lol:

/lurker mode off

i agree with yas.

/lurker mode on

Offline erink

• Member+
« Reply #208 on: July 28, 2008, 06:42:02 PM »
Man, I sure miss erink. She was definitely the shining light in the 'second gen'. This place just isn't the same without her.

Haha. Things sure have changed, huh? So many people from when I was active kind of disappeared like I did. Of course a few are  alive and kicking but I'm still living in the past. It's mind blowing how much new stuff is around since the last time I was here (last year-ish).

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #209 on: July 28, 2008, 08:38:50 PM »
^
HOLY CRAP IT'S ERINK!!! :o

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »
erink, you're the author of the UNFINISHED Another Day at H!P, aren't you? Can we perhaps expect updates? *prays* Or no?

I'm having trouble with my story. I really want to give a backstory and I've started it but something's lacking..... :( I can't seem to get what I want out of it!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Man, I sure miss erink. She was definitely the shining light in the 'second gen'. This place just isn't the same without her.

I was seriously thinking that the other day you know!  It's either you or me with some kind of esp!

No one does crazy funny like you erink~  :wub:

I've come to terms with probably never knowing what was the big snowball in Break but I still crave your almost daily doses of humor...oh those were the good old days XD

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2008, 03:05:23 AM »
OMG! It's times like these that make me regret being a writer!
Someone tell me what Aya can do to make Ai love and hate her at the same time!!! :sweatdrop:

Offline poets

• The forgotten Writer
  • Member+
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:35 AM »
@SUKOSHI: WHERE THE HECK HAVE YOU BEEEEEEN?!??!?!!? I've been wondering why i hadn't seen you in this section. ^^;

@SBK: o.O... wouldn't that be all on Ai? DEMO GANBATE, Nee? SBK-CHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember Yuu'ichi's helmets aren't suppose to break O___________O!!!
Rika <3 So funneh

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2008, 04:42:47 AM »
@poets  *goes into Risa mode* Eh?!?!?! USO!  lol I hope you are only talking about this tread in general and not the fanfic section overall XD  but as for this thread when everyone was talking back and forth about character respect and all that (even though I totally agree with it) I took it as a chance to run for the hills  :sweat:

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2008, 12:46:32 PM »
@SUKOSHI: WHERE THE HECK HAVE YOU BEEEEEEN?!??!?!!? I've been wondering why i hadn't seen you in this section. ^^;
Sukoshi has been busy filling me Sayu sugary goodness so shhh, do not disturb :P and you must be blind... I've even seen that big 19 sig in your threads.

@ Kream of Strawb3rry: Do not rush or I shall hurt you :twisted: Just let it sit in your head for a while and develop itself, eventually it will jump up and bite you and not let you function probably till you get it out... Trust yourself :) (I just noticed you updated so ignore me now :oops: )
Oh oh oh, I finally get the chance to tell you, I am sooo in love with your new sig :wub:
I miss the old one (first thing I ever said to you on this forum was that I loved that sig :lol: ) but I can deal seeing you replaced it something equally as awesome! :heart:

My gah! I am sooo in a talkative mood :oops: Mainly coz I fell behind in fics coz I slept heaps this week and now I am procrastinating coz the amount of 'new post' symbols are intimidating me.

Sha la la la la...

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2008, 12:59:59 PM »
lol thanks for reminding me lolli....by the time I change my sig I think Eri will be 20...I should go work on that XD

Offline lollipopgirl

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »
^ It's good... If you keep it consistant with her age, than I shall mostly be reminded of my own age and I don't have to think about it... riiiiight!

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
@ Kream of Strawb3rry: Do not rush or I shall hurt you :twisted: Just let it sit in your head for a while and develop itself, eventually it will jump up and bite you and not let you function probably till you get it out... Trust yourself :) (I just noticed you updated so ignore me now :oops: )
Oh oh oh, I finally get the chance to tell you, I am sooo in love with your new sig :wub:
I miss the old one (first thing I ever said to you on this forum was that I loved that sig :lol: ) but I can deal seeing you replaced it something equally as awesome! :heart:

My gah! I am sooo in a talkative mood :oops: Mainly coz I fell behind in fics coz I slept heaps this week and now I am procrastinating coz the amount of 'new post' symbols are intimidating me.

Sha la la la la...

I updated but there's another part coming...and I'm stuck again. But I did start it.... :lol:
Thanks! I know, I totally remember that, when you had the cute Risako ava. I was debating on whether I should change it or not. I like my old one too! But when I made this, I couldn't let it go unnoticed! :lol:
I was wondering why you weren't commenting on anyone's stories!

Offline lollipopgirl

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2008, 07:09:17 PM »
^ This is turning into a long fic for you :w00t:
I miss my Risako ava :( I think I need an update soon :lol:
I still haven't got anywhere with catching up on fics, hehe, I haven't even read ur update :oops:

JPHiP Radio (35/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ongaku Gatas - Come Together