JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Easy Come, Easy Go

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 304543 times)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #660 on: April 04, 2009, 07:17:14 AM »
^Hi Kuji, welcome to our little piece of JPH!P landscape. :D Do stick around here if you still don't feel like posting reviews all that often. Haha. XD

Yeah I know what you mean about not posting anything when you have nothing good to say. I worry about hurting people's feelings so publicly. ^^; I mean, if I spoke to them one on one on IM, I might tell them what is actually wrong with their writing, but it really depends on whether they are bothered about wanting to get even better. Of course, same applies to me in reverse, I welcome criticisms more readily in private anyway. It's slightly less embarrassing. XD

Oh I agree about the commenting within the story text thing. I used to do that early in my career but I try not to do it now because it interrupts the flow of the reading. Very annoying when that happens. Oh and yeah, it is irritating when people demand a certain number of reviews before releasing a new chapter. I have never done that, although sometimes I do wait to see how many reviews I get before I feel motivated to continue. Lol. But generally if I see that that's all I'm gonna get anyway, I'll just go ahead and write, because I like my story for itself, not just because I want to see reviews. It's always nice to see reactions though, I'll admit. A kind of narcissism there.

Oh and thanks for reading some of my Nanoha stories...I liked those but I kinda moved on from the fandom. It got taken over by too much...well, you know what I'm talking about. I was a fan right from the start and then StrikerS came out and the rabble came in. D:

Well, I'll repeat again: Welcome and enjoy your stay! :D

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #661 on: April 04, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »
^^ I wasn't planning on posting anything until curiosity caught me and I decided to check out what anime fics you wrote on fanfic.net. This caught my eye:

Hellfire: (As Yet Unposted) Another AU, because I refuse to write them in a normal setting. Again, featuring various MM members across the generations, this time in a fictional city where high-tech, high-speed bike races are the mainstay for entertainment. Slightly futuristic.

High speed bike races?! MM?! MM as biker gangs??!!! I'm totally down for that!  :twothumbs:lol: My interest for bikes come from a certain anime back in the early 90's, so I must ask: Will it have transforming bikes and MM fighting wayward, rampaging robots with a mega company running the scenes? :P

Um, something related to the topic... I admit... I tend to comment more on the stories I like more. >.> :ph43r:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #662 on: April 04, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »
My interest for bikes come from a certain anime back in the early 90's, so I must ask: Will it have transforming bikes and MM fighting wayward, rampaging robots with a mega company running the scenes? :P
Blame the lack of sleep, but when I read that my first thought was: Biker Sentai...MusumeRanger!
:on lol:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #663 on: April 04, 2009, 08:36:16 AM »
^^ I wasn't planning on posting anything until curiosity caught me and I decided to check out what anime fics you wrote on fanfic.net. This caught my eye:

Hellfire: (As Yet Unposted) Another AU, because I refuse to write them in a normal setting. Again, featuring various MM members across the generations, this time in a fictional city where high-tech, high-speed bike races are the mainstay for entertainment. Slightly futuristic.

High speed bike races?! MM?! MM as biker gangs??!!! I'm totally down for that!  :twothumbs:lol: My interest for bikes come from a certain anime back in the early 90's, so I must ask: Will it have transforming bikes and MM fighting wayward, rampaging robots with a mega company running the scenes? :P

Um, something related to the topic... I admit... I tend to comment more on the stories I like more. >.> :ph43r:

Oh gah you weren't supposed to see that! :lol:

Sadly, no transforming bikes here. But they're still kickass and yes there is still a megacorp somewhere in the scenes! Haha.

Blame the lack of sleep, but when I read that my first thought was: Biker Sentai...MusumeRanger!
:on lol:

*dies* :lol:

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • The likeness of a human
« Reply #664 on: April 04, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »
Eh? Essy has an account at ff.net? :O *checks site*

Oh, bummer! You only write for animes I haven't watched.  :-\

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #665 on: April 04, 2009, 10:14:15 AM »
Quote from: lil_hamz
I'm only ebil to Risa in my fics XD

Usotsuki!  :P  I think it's more like you are only intentionally ebil to Risa and everyone else just gets hurt by association XD  The bunny hasn't been doing well in your stories lately...must have moved onto your favourites list XD

I rarely come into this thread and what do I see after I do pop in? Essy implying that I'm a meanie for reading that fic :D

lol...you aren't a meanie for reading "that"...wait...does "that" mean the *cough cough*?  .....okay...I take that back...XD

poor stefy...here I was only kidding when I said, "hopefully my tolerance threshold will hold out but if I never speak to you again, you'll know the reason why" and yet...I read more of the story and haven't talked to stefy since XD

Quote from: Estrea
Yeah I know what you mean about not posting anything when you have nothing good to say. I worry about hurting people's feelings so publicly. ^^; I mean, if I spoke to them one on one on IM, I might tell them what is actually wrong with their writing, but it really depends on whether they are bothered about wanting to get even better.

Ah...surprising!  I can't even do it in real life...people used to hunt me down, begging me to edit their papers (yes, I know it's shocking since I forgo almost all proper punctuation in my internet typing...but real life is different XD)...anyways,  I would literally run across campus to hide in a cubby hole somewhere or lie that I was somewhere else so I wouldn't have to critique their work.  That backfired on me once  :sweat:

now what's this I see?  Fenrir has found a copy of Hellfire?  hehe...that was a very cool story.  BUT!  We should not temp Estrea!  Not if we want to see what happens next to the gun-wielding vampire nuns that live on a boat.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #666 on: April 04, 2009, 10:33:13 AM »
now what's this I see?  Fenrir has found a copy of Hellfire?  hehe...that was a very cool story.  BUT!  We should not temp Estrea!  Not if we want to see what happens next to the gun-wielding vampire nuns that live on a boat.

LMAO!

Did you just merge all my current stories into one???  Oh. My. Gah. :lol:

And oh yes, I know how it's like having to edit for people. That was...aggravating. Haha. But tis alright now. :D

Oh and I finally found inspiration to write again~ Yay~ :D

*prances*

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline maverickpanda

• Yaguchi&Yossi: awesome begets awesome
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #667 on: April 04, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
I am glad that you have found your inspiration Estrea.   :wigglypanda:<~~~(me dancing with joy) :pandaaa:

(Image of absolute awesome provided by Gloopip Graphix)

Friends are those who walk in when the rest of the world walks out.

Offline 0508

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #668 on: April 04, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
You're welcome Estrea. :pimp:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #669 on: April 04, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »
*kicks dinny* Sure :D

And now I got de-inspired again. I need to settle down and write, but my mind isn't on it. >_> Oh well.

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline 0508

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #670 on: April 04, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
Oh I see how it is. Two can play that game. No more comments for you. :|

Perhaps you should get some sleep.

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #671 on: April 04, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »
Unfortunately, I've got a lack of inspiration... And Hammy's bday just passed, which makes it so much worse. D: I need to write something... But my brain is drawing a total blank for a good idea. ;_;

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #672 on: April 04, 2009, 09:53:06 PM »
^Aww Shi-chan, don't feel sad. A belated birthday fic still works. :)

And dinny, I hates you. D:

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Hotaru

• stan dreamcatcher
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SNH48
    • deukkae
« Reply #673 on: April 04, 2009, 10:44:57 PM »
You're not the only one Shi-chan.

I have no inspiration too.

Things just pop in my mind and I write it. XD

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #674 on: April 05, 2009, 01:02:28 AM »
I feel a bit bad asking for help here 'cause it makes me seem like a bad mod but...

Can anyone remember that one fic with all the transformations and such? Yossie's a good character (angels? Animals?) with a bunch of other characters... Miki, Rika, among others are the bad characters, like devils I think? And somehow, Risa the halfbreed manages to spy on the good team while the bad team has a mutiny planned against Miki...

Gawd dammit I'm REALLY trying to remember the name of the fic and who wrote it but to no avail T____T

Someone help this cutie patootie mod please~!!! T_T; (And my apologies to whoever wrote that fic if my forgetfulness offends you o_o .)

Offline alen

« Reply #675 on: April 05, 2009, 01:10:48 AM »
I believe it was called Chosen and there is a sequel the Calm before the Storm  by writerjunkie 

Offline kitaoji

• Member+
« Reply #676 on: April 05, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »
Alright, it's about time I started getting down to writing something. I have a lovely Spring Break in which I'm supposed to look for another place to live and study calculus, not to mention hound admin officers (and actually FIND those admin officers first), but I'm doing this instead.

(Comments for Gegenschein will show up... eventually.  I'm still stuck at the 'sentence fragment' stage.  For dedicated writings, this could take MONTHS. Maybe I'll just descend into worn-out fangirl babble instead  :D)

But anyway!

Reading Environment
Fic-reading has always, always, always been a private affair as much as possible.  If it means I get up at 2AM in the morning on the holidays to read fic, yes, I do.  I have no problems with personal comfort, since for the past few years I've been away from my beloved armchair (it belonged to a psychiatrist, and therapists must have Comfy Chairs in their offices, as I've come to believe), but in an ideal situation, the door is shut, the blinds are drawn, the light is minimal (so no one can possibly look underneath the door crack to realize that the computer is on and I am doing Things At Ungodly Hours), and if I have my laptop, my back is facing the wall and I am facing the door, ears preened to react at the slightest suggestion of Someone Opening the Door, and usually another document opened instead with fingers (and cursor) poised to switch if necessary.   XD

Fic Choice
It's a sort of a mishmash, here.  Off JPH!P I hunt sometimes based on pairings, or on characters.  Lacking 5th gen and 6th gen usually doesn't encourage me to read a fic, unless I find a secondary source that indicates that there is a Work That Must Be Read, in the canon of good fic.  (Sometimes I go with blogs, or other forum posts.)  On this board, I sometimes go by title - even though the title is really secondary, there is a reason why interesting papers have interesting titles which speaks to the author's involvement in his/her work, and it sometimes gives me a vague idea of what the story will involve.  On the overall I prefer works that are completed, just so I know that once I've marathoned an entire day reading, I know there's Something Fulfilling at the end of the road.  I suppose it's great that I'm not a die-hard fan of oh, say Schubert or Robert Jordan; I'd be devastated to go through their works right now (or in the former's case, listen to the Unfinished Symphony at the time of his death  :yep:

So yes, even the author's comments and changes in the Title with chapter posts do influence me, especially when they're not in the Read From the Very First Post category.  (And this is a category that fics have to work their way in, sadly.)

With works in progress, sometimes I base it on how frequently it's been updated, or once I finally click that link, I scroll through it as quickly as possible to determine the quality of the update before actually going back to the top and properly starting there.

I'm much happier with light prose, so I highly applaud those writers who convey a lot in as little words as possible that flows as fast as possible (dependent on my reading speed), and save the highly dense material for later.  Years later, I think.  It's why I haven't read rokun in a long time; I need to find a long, long period of time where I'm alone and energized, which is extremely rare these days.  :P )

And of course, the quality of the prose is important, as well.  I'm alright with sacrificing style for a well constructed or interesting plot, and if I have absolutely nothing to do, then I don't mind forgoing it, but it's still something I mull over.  If my eyes start to bleed, then, it's always easier to return to collections of better prose that I have access to, be it the Wikipedia or these hordes of papers and the rare dissertation and monographs to read instead.  (Yes, I read those things for fun.)

Fic Commenting and Continuation
As you can see from my post count, I comment almost rarely, and am just focusing on Gegenschein in the fear that Estrea will refuse to update after I've been prodding her for months.  :cry:  Having spent too many brain cells (than necessary, really) into the whole flying realm of Textual Criticism and Evaluation, I've left my ability to respond personally to writing somewhere out in the Great Plains and the flat, straight freeways.  In other words, if commenting would let me yap weird stuff about the Juxtaposition of Sub Chapters and the Evocation of Space And Power Conflict contained within the imagery and diction... well yeah, I would.   :yep:  But that takes more brain cells and time, and so I usually read fic and leave the emotional pull in the realm beyond the written (typed?) word, and shape the commenting for a later date, if ever.  :)

For multi-part stories, how often I read them is something I like to think about, as well.  Short updates (if that's been the general trend) usually don't get touched too often, unless I only have a small amount of time to read (like my morning ritual of e-mail and board checking - and yes, the first thing I do waking up is to turn the computer on).  I worship tabs with a passion (there are 6 of them now, and if I were in a Wiki session, I'd easily could open up 30 or so).  Stories that I haven't invested too much of myself in reading will get one tab, while if I'm working on a multi-parter I could probably have each post opened up in a different tab.  So yes, if I've found a prolific writer, I assure you there will be 20 or so tabs opened, and possibly several windows opened for each arc or fic instead. >_>  I'm also following JFC's habit of having several copies of the same thread open (at different pages, if necessary) when commenting, to determine the flow of my comment.

As for fics that are necessarily deserving of my attention... well, I make use of that notify option at the upper right corner :)  to actually allow me to read or re-read fics at work in the guise of my e-mail (even board surfing belongs to my private realm, thank you  :yep: ).  Which means that I have copies of those un-edited posts sitting in my inbox, and it's fast reaching 300 unread...  :D  And in the case that I'm going to be separate from a stable Internet connection for a while, I have those transferred to Word Documents too  XD  (Because that's how we did it in those days of Limited 28kbps and all, my old soul howls.  :yawn: )

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #677 on: April 05, 2009, 06:14:32 AM »
I have a lovely Spring Break in which I'm supposed to look for another place to live and study calculus...

Sounds like my spring break. :/ I'm gonna try to write, but I'm supposed to be studying calc 1 hour each day, BUT I'm already behind, so I'll have to do about 2-3 hours each day... Not to mention my teacher says that I should already be halfway done with the study guide in chemistry, but I haven't even started. I mean, I'm an ace in chem, but the AP Exam is probably gonna bite me in the butt...

GAAAAAH. T___T School = Death of my writing life. Anyone else here agree? (Why the heck did I pick to take APs? Oh right, because I want the college credit and crud. Dammit.)

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #678 on: April 05, 2009, 06:16:25 AM »
You taking the AP exam too? ~_~

...Which one?

I have Lit T_T

Had AP US History and Language last year. That was so not fun D:

Offline kitaoji

• Member+
« Reply #679 on: April 05, 2009, 06:55:58 AM »
I took the IB program for high school, only to find out that it gave me 20 units for college and no classes to skip  :banghead: ... and the 20 units meant nothing as I ended up going WELL over the limit upon graduation.  (In other words, I worked myself to death for too long.)

In other words: don't get too hung over the actual number of units, hope that you get to skip some lower division classes with the good grades, because there is nothing really as bad as covering the same material at a much faster, much harsher, and much more bizarre pace. >_>

And oh yeah, study. :)

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Easy Come, Easy Go