JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Toddle - I Dedicate D Chord

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 305603 times)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #820 on: October 04, 2009, 12:59:17 PM »
^Interesting, I was more into poetry when I was younger. I wasn't as much into story writing until I was much older. I tended to get my more violent impulses out into words, so some of the stuff I spewed back then was truly disturbing...haha. I had issues back then. ^^;

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline badsaints

• in love with Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #821 on: October 04, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
Hmm out of curiousity...do you put/see yourself in the characters of any of the stories you write or read? :?

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #822 on: October 04, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
I do sometimes see myself in the characters. I think its inevitable sometimes. You put yourself into your characters, either consciously or unconsciously sometimes. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #823 on: October 05, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »
Yeah, sometimes I write something and then go back and erase it, scolding myself. Like, "Noooo, that's what YOU would do, dummy. Risa probably wouldn't slap Reina for saying that." Or something.

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • K-M-E-I Kamei! K-A-M-E Kyamei!
« Reply #824 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:49 AM »
To answer some of the past few questions. . . I'm a rokkies and GAM writer. :D occassionally I'll write about other members only if I have some great story idea. I get my story ideas from actually events that happen in HP history. That's why my stories seem like it actually happened. With that in mind it's not a matter of what's going to happen but HOW does it happen. :lol: other ideas come from movies and shows I've watched and thought "hmm what if HP did their version of this?"  :lol:

and yes! I do put myself into my characters and sometimes I get too into it that I end up being emo like my character. Like my MARI story oh that was all kinds of emo, quite embarrassing too but it was fun. 

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #825 on: October 05, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »
*re-surfaces from lurking*

You guys do?....

So is it normal to self-insert or not to? Cuz I don't, all my fics are based on what I see.. drama, movie, in my dreams, etc. Like some of my one shot's based on what I see the girls do in PV makings or what they say on radio. And my latest fic.. which I have not updated since god knows when.. was something I dreamt about, well just the very last 'scene'/chapter tho (which was sho hawts btw XD), and somehow made it into a fic.

I'd never ever put myself as a character or relate myself to the girls... Just feels wrong to me that's all. Blame low self-esteem I guess? XD

OK! *skips back to lurker mode*

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • K-M-E-I Kamei! K-A-M-E Kyamei!
« Reply #826 on: October 05, 2009, 04:08:13 PM »
*waves at stefy* :D

Well I try not to put my personal life into my characters but it does happen sometimes. Like in my MARI story, there's this one part where Aya's trying to wake up Miki and Miki blurts out in her sleep "Just follow the instructions!" That was an actual sentence I've said in my sleep when my sister tried to wake me up one day. XD So it's just little things like that. I could probably write a kick ass heart wrenching break up scene having experienced it first-hand but I don't think I'd go that far :roll: But sometimes I'd just sit there and go "how would you feel if this happened to you? what would you do?" etc.

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #827 on: October 08, 2009, 03:13:47 AM »
^ Damn that Zunu, I'm gonna have to give him a beatdown. ;)

Like you said, I suppose for the most part I try not to put myself into my characters, but I think it subconsciously happens, since I just write them so long and so get them so much on my mind. Like I know Reina in Odyssey eventually picked up some of my attributes... It's probably different cause I'm a guy writing about girls, but there are certain personality characteristics that I'm sure can be common among all. :lol: Of course, there have been occasions when I did at least somewhat intentionally put myself in a role... In my first story I did to an extent, for example. Not sure if I can think of others actually. :lol:

Well, back to lurk mode I guess. >.>

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #828 on: October 08, 2009, 08:41:55 AM »
^Oh you, no more lurking! *hauls back by scruff of neck* :P

Yeah like rokun said, some personality characteristics are common enough to share, so inevitably there will be some moments when you can really connect to the characters on a personal level. It's not so much that you're making them like you, or you feeling like them, but just...common humanity? XD

Of course, self-inserts are not uncommon in fanfiction (of all kinds...), but it should be kept from being a major hindering role in the story, of course. When I self-insert, it's usually in random side characters that get killed. XDDD Or just that random person on the street, like a cameo...lol. Although if you want to be technical I guess Takeda from Nocturne is like an aggravated microcosm of some part of my personality. Yeah. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #829 on: October 08, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »
Estreia made me post my 2 cents:

Self-insert is bound to happen at some point because you are writing from your own views and its how people relate to characters anyways; they see a part of themselves or someone else in that character. It's how a story becomes engrossing because you feel you are part of that story.

And now back to my Star Golden Bell show.  XD

Offline chubar

• future super idol of the world.
  • Member+
  • [☆] [ you are my saviour. ]
    • basicbaka
    • aibon
    • nebulaway
« Reply #830 on: October 12, 2009, 10:12:46 AM »
i tend to write self-inserts but i always put myself as a very minor character like

"Reina Tanaka turned on the television and wasn't surprised to hear yet another fangirl was arrested for stalking her favorite Johnny but got distracted when she heard Eri shriek out her name."

yeah. i used to pair myself up with anime characters back when i was younger. but yeah... >_> i'm probably not making sense. *goes back to lurking*

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #831 on: October 12, 2009, 11:03:29 PM »
yeah. i used to pair myself up with anime characters back when i was younger. but yeah... >_> i'm probably not making sense. *goes back to lurking*

You're making perfect sense, I think everyone's guilty of doing that at least once or twice (including me :sweatdrop: (but no one will ever find those stories) ). It's just nature.

Offline chubar

• future super idol of the world.
  • Member+
  • [☆] [ you are my saviour. ]
    • basicbaka
    • aibon
    • nebulaway
« Reply #832 on: October 13, 2009, 06:08:44 AM »
You're making perfect sense, I think everyone's guilty of doing that at least once or twice (including me :sweatdrop: (but no one will ever find those stories) ). It's just nature.

haha. yeah. i actually leave those stories up as a reminder of where i "came" from before i become a super elitist dick. :3

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #833 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »

haha. yeah. i actually leave those stories up as a reminder of where i "came" from before i become a super elitist dick. :3

Ah yes, I remember my own origins too. XD I left them up as well, as a reminder never ever to get back to that level of crap again. XD At least we're all in agreement that the only logical way should be up. :P

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #834 on: October 13, 2009, 04:27:18 PM »
Some of my crap is actually on this site... *pokes through the archives and  :doh: * Others are under a different (and ancient) pen name.

Offline Sancho

• 8LayerIceCreamVendor
  • Member+
« Reply #835 on: October 20, 2009, 03:39:25 AM »
I'm too shy take part on this thread (Loves to lurk as much as possible :P). But the current question is really something  :lol:.

I guess the answer depend on the writer's mood. There are times that you really want to put a new character in order to make your story unique. That character might be someone you know or even yourself. But there are times that you want to create based on the girls current situation. As long as you enjoy and satisfied on your creation, either the 2 would be fine.

* Lurk mode. On! *

Offline Hotaru

• stan dreamcatcher
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SNH48
    • deukkae
« Reply #836 on: November 08, 2009, 06:34:55 AM »
Hmm out of curiousity...do you put/see yourself in the characters of any of the stories you write or read? :?

In a story like Rondo, nope, not at all. XD Well, I've never done that before, so...yeah. XD

@Chubar: My friend still does that all the time. XD I'm guilty too since I used to do the same as well.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #837 on: November 08, 2009, 07:07:55 AM »
Wow I was dumping stuff outta my room, and I found an old notebook from high school filled with homework details, class notes, poetry, and story ideas. And lo and behold, I found something describing exactly the nuances of the relationship between Reina and Ai in my current fic Nanchatte Renai. XD

And to think back then I didn't even know H!P existed either....:lol:

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #838 on: November 09, 2009, 07:44:22 AM »
You know, after reading the last few entries in the Rant Hole thread, I'm wondering if it's possible for one to suffer from "reader's block" the way that one can suffer from "writer's block"?  I really haven't meant to be as absent from this part of the board as I have been recently. I did manage to go on a bit of a reading/commenting spree a little over a month and a half ago. There's probably a good half dozen new fics there that have popped up since then. :nervous

I don't want to say that I've fallen off the bandwagon, but it's definitely more than my original thought of just "needing a break."  One thing for sure, I didn't realize how much being able to come here when I have spare time when I'm working at a school helped me keep up to date and (more importantly) keep me from getting "backlogged" in terms of fic reading. Now that the forum is blocked on the school networks here I'm pretty much stuck with only being able to come here when I'm at home, and sadly I'm finding I don't have as much free time at home as I used to either. :(  It's like when you want to get your work done but you KNOW that there's a mountain of it waiting for you; it doesn't exactly help encourage you to get on it when you feel like you have to tackle it all at once.

I dunno, I may just have force myself to stop (or at least significantly cut back) doing the "commenting on almost every single thing that catches my attention" posts when reading the fics. It would really suck if it came down to having to do that, since I actually do enjoy it, even if the uber-epicly-long chapters in some of the fics make me go :dizzy: after getting halfway through them. :P

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #839 on: November 09, 2009, 08:03:43 AM »
^Somehow I think that last line was directed at me...^^;

Mhm, take your time JFC! It's ok to not comment on everything, I'm always impressed by how you manage to do that in the past lol. And yes, "reader's block" does exist. Sometimes one just doesn't have the mood to read as many things, or have their attention diverted to other pursuits (or is too busy to do it). But yeah. You're still one of us! :D

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Toddle - I Dedicate D Chord