JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Cappuccino

Author Topic: The TV and DVD question / problem thread  (Read 4157 times)

Offline sayumi_fan

• 重ピンクがんばって!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Sayummy
The TV and DVD question / problem thread
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:17:05 PM »
I have a question in this area, and there doesn't seem to be already a thread on this subject, so I thought I'd start one.

I want to send a CD & DVD set to a friend in the US (I'm in Australia).  The DVD presents a problem possibly cos of the different technology used in different countries.  The DVD I want to send is actually Region 0 (which I presume plays in any region?)  However, it is also in PAL format and the US uses NTSC.  So, is there any point in sending my friend this DVD - is there any way they can view it on standard US equipment?

Any thoughts appreciated...

Offline Roxasu

• Around Somewhere o_O
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 02:19:47 PM »
worst case scenario, your friend can DL VLC Player, which would play all region formats and movie types

DVD players are picky in what they play, wrong one and you can't play anything

ask your friend to check the specs on his DVD player before you send it

Fav AKB Members: Akicha (Aki Takajo), Myao (Miho Miyazaki),  Love-Tan (Aika Ota), and Mayuyu (Mayu Watanabe)
Fav H!P Members: Niigaki Risa, Michishige Sayumi, Mano Erena, Okai Chisato, and Shimizu Saki

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 02:27:57 PM »
If they play it on their computer it'll be fine.

As for DVD player, most players will actually play both (well they do here anyway) and then I'm not sure exactly but the TV will need to support the PAL signal from the DVD player and that's probably your main concern in this case. I'm not sure if the DVD player converts it and outputs in NTSC or not but we play NTSC movies all the time on our DVD player no problem so I wouldn't really worry too much.

Offline sayumi_fan

• 重ピンクがんばって!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Sayummy
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 02:46:19 PM »
Quote from: ebc;287779
If they play it on their computer it'll be fine.

As for DVD player, most players will actually play both (well they do here anyway) and then I'm not sure exactly but the TV will need to support the PAL signal from the DVD player and that's probably your main concern in this case. I'm not sure if the DVD player converts it and outputs in NTSC or not but we play NTSC movies all the time on our DVD player no problem so I wouldn't really worry too much.

Yes, actually, I should have made that clearer in my question - since it's Region 0 it should be ok on the player, but it's the PAL / NTSC thing which I'm less sure about.  Maybe like you, as an Aussie I deliberately bought a multi-region DVD player, and made sure my TV supports NTSC as well as PAL;  but I suspect many US TVs do not support PAL?  Maybe some American members could comment on this if you have any experience with PAL media on your TV?

Quote from: Roxasu;287774
worst case scenario, your friend can DL VLC Player, which would play all region formats and movie types

So, if not on the TV/DVD, then it should play on the computer with VLC player (but not MS Windows Media Player?)

Offline Roxasu

• Around Somewhere o_O
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 02:50:33 PM »
VLC is universal without using extra codecs, so it's pretty good, also plays TS and MP4

Fav AKB Members: Akicha (Aki Takajo), Myao (Miho Miyazaki),  Love-Tan (Aika Ota), and Mayuyu (Mayu Watanabe)
Fav H!P Members: Niigaki Risa, Michishige Sayumi, Mano Erena, Okai Chisato, and Shimizu Saki

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 04:15:53 PM »
Yeah, no it's ok dude I wasn't talking about regions anyway.
What I mean is, DVD players are pretty basic devices and most nowadays will decode both NTSC and PAL video.
I didn't delibrately buy a regionfree dvd player either, as far as I know it's still whatever region Aus is (I've totally forgotten cause I hardly rent or have any DVD's lol) but yeah it plays NTSC movies cause the decoder supports the mpeg2 standard which includes both NTSC and PAL specs so there's no worry there.

The ONLY thing I would be worried about is the signal coming from the DVD player to the TV. I'm not sure if that will still be PAL when your friend plays it back or if the DVD player will convert it to NTSC. But I am thinking that the DVD player actually converts it to NTSC so there shouldn't be the issue of the TV not support PAL.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 04:17:14 PM »
Quote from: sayumi_fan;287792
So, if not on the TV/DVD, then it should play on the computer with VLC player (but not MS Windows Media Player?)
I bought an Aussie DVD (region 4 PAL) over to Japan (NTSC) and have no problems playing it in Windows Media Player.

Offline Kei

• It's legal in MY country!
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 05:29:19 PM »
Pretty much all TVs made these days can accept PAL/NTSC/SECAM signals. Unless the TV is eleventy bajillion years old, it should play just fine.
赤い瞳は ソドムの街で
美しい女を 採集する
針で止めた 蝶や蛾の様に
動けないおまえは 俺の物

Offline amuse

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 05:43:57 PM »
It should depend on the specs of the DVD player itself. Most players support NTSC and PAL DVDs and outputs them in colour on pretty much any TV. Check the specs of the DVD player to see if there's an option to switch between NTSC/PAL.
Quote from: hot_lilAzn
i named mine Man of steel becuz it\'s always hard as steel and hard lol :wink:

Offline momo23

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 06:35:12 PM »
Quote from: sayumi_fan;287771
I want to send a CD & DVD set to a friend in the US (I'm in Australia).  The DVD presents a problem possibly cos of the different technology used in different countries.  The DVD I want to send is actually Region 0 (which I presume plays in any region?)  However, it is also in PAL format and the US uses NTSC.  So, is there any point in sending my friend this DVD - is there any way they can view it on standard US equipment?

Any thoughts appreciated...
all TV's sold in the United States are NTSC only, and DVD players sold in US output NTSC only

region 0 is considered a "region free" disc

but it can play on a computer just fine with almost any DVD player software

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 08:58:51 PM »
get an all region DVD/CD player. it can even play burned/pirated dvd movies and stuff. Usually available in Chinatown XD

Offline flamingmoe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »
The majority of players can output PAL as NTSC.
If your friend is worried, have him double check the capabilities of his dvd player at this site:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Offline sayumi_fan

• 重ピンクがんばって!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Sayummy
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 11:03:16 PM »
Thanks for all the help & replies...  Looks like I'll get her to check out the setup a bit first, but can probably just send it and at worst she can play it on her computer.  Thanks guys, you all rock!

Offline Kei

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 01:22:22 PM »
Quote from: momo23;287927
all TV's sold in the United States are NTSC only, and DVD players sold in US output NTSC only

That's not true.
赤い瞳は ソドムの街で
美しい女を 採集する
針で止めた 蝶や蛾の様に
動けないおまえは 俺の物

Offline momo23

• Member+
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
Quote from: Kei;288977
That's not true.
do you have proof to back up your claim?

if you buy a DVD player from a United States retail store, it's NTSC only.  getting one off the internet is different as you can get an all region player that can output both NTSC and PAL.

TV's can only accept one kind of signal (NTSC or PAL), so you will need a signal converter to be able to convert the signal from one video standard to the other
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 04:35:06 PM by momo23 »

Offline Kei

• Member+
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 04:52:17 PM »
Quote from: momo23;289053
do you have proof to back up your claim?

if you buy a DVD player from a United States retail store, it's NTSC only.  getting one off the internet is different as you can get an all region player that can output both NTSC and PAL.

TV's can only accept one kind of signal (NTSC or PAL), so you will need a signal converter to be able to convert the signal from one video standard to the other

My best friend lives in LA and bought his TV and DVD player there. They play PAL DVDs just fine. Refute your claim (which YOU provided no proof for) much?

Since the early 90s, TVs have pretty much all been manufactured to accept PAL/NTSC/SECAM signals because it's cheaper and more efficient to create less models rather than make region-specific models. It also reduces manufacturing costs. So, basically, you're wrong. I'm not saying you're an idiot or anything, but you shouldn't go around claiming things without checking you're correct first. If you were right, my TV would not be able to accept the signals from my NTSC Xbox 360 and NTSC games, as I live in Australia, and we use PAL here.

About DVD players, you WERE right; back in the early days of DVD, players were PAL only, NTSC only, etc. But these days, it's unlikely that you will find a standard-specific player. With regards to buying one in a store and one on the internet, well that is just plain wrong. Companies don't make different models specifically for store or internet purchases; that's just ridiculous.
赤い瞳は ソドムの街で
美しい女を 採集する
針で止めた 蝶や蛾の様に
動けないおまえは 俺の物

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
Quote from: Kei;289075
About DVD players, you WERE right; back in the early days of DVD, players were PAL only, NTSC only, etc. But these days, it's unlikely that you will find a standard-specific player. With regards to buying one in a store and one on the internet, well that is just plain wrong. Companies don't make different models specifically for store or internet purchases; that's just ridiculous.
Small addition to this: in some countries it is *required* to lock the player into a valid region code for that country. But for most of the players its just a simple 'press of buttons' to unlock them (the requirement comes from trade agreements)

Region 2 being europe and Japan for example, have PAL and NTSC.
And yes making specific players for all the combinations is not required anymore these days, a default setup per country is enough.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 03:25:30 PM »
Tried to play a region 2 PAL disc on my region 2 standalone player (4 years old) the other day, and it WOULDN'T play because it was PAL and not NTSC.
So, had a browse at new players here, and only around half will accept PAL.

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Cappuccino