JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Gospellers - Shiatorikaru

Author Topic: The Pinoy Music Thread  (Read 68018 times)

Offline aznanimedude

• Member+
The Pinoy Music Thread
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:19:43 PM »
seriously i didn't see one...where are all you people who listen to filipino music:ONhiakhiakhiak:

lol well to be quite honest i myself am not an AVID opm listener but i do listen to some...sarah geronimo, kamikazee, hale, cueshe, kitchie nadal, the like

well post away you filipinos or other races who listen to OPM

ENJOY
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:35:07 AM by Masa »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:37:16 PM »
:lol: I personally don't like most filipino bands. Most of them tend to sound too much like Creed in Tagalog. >_> The only band I can remember that I enjoyed listening to was Orange and Lemons.

There are quite a bit of great singers though, but I don't really like OPM songs that much.

Offline aznanimedude

• Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:17:26 AM »
XD yeah i do admit that :P pinoy bands tend to have that stereotypical cookie cutter vocalist, which is why i have found myself listening to like sappy romance OPM and old songs XD rather than the contemporary newer groups

Offline Ikaruga

• ecchi
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 09:38:25 AM »
i'm not a fan of most of them either but i do think sitti navarro is awesome. :)

Offline haidokun

• Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:36:27 AM »
i seldom listen to OPM. but i like Yeng's songs. :/
bands.... well, there are a few bands that i like. nothing beats Eraserheads. ^^ oranges and lemon has this beetles influence so i like them. for some reason i don't like bamboo, i don't know why, maybe because i don't like bamboo himself. XD

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:45:58 AM »
Oh I do enjoy Orange and Lemons. I actually came across them on accident, but it was one of the neatest accidents ever. Haha. They have a cool sound indeed.

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:48:03 AM »
Another problem with Pinoy music is that there aren't many places (at least here where I live) where you can buy their music. Sure we have a radio station that plays Pinoy music, but the selection is really limited and you hear the same shit over and over again. The lack of ripped stuff also limits the exposure that Pinoy singers/groups get online.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 07:13:15 AM »
anybody listen to.
Up Dharma Down
seriously... there is STILL, GOOD music here in the philippines ;) UDD is one of the best in the scene imo. great quality music..
another great band is Urbandub (which i really reccomend too)

just don't dig into mainstream 'love rock' crap. lol
ugh. and don't get me started on novetly/cheezy bands like Kamikazee and Parokya ni Edgar, etc.. imho
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:16:55 AM by roninbuddha »

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
APO and Eraserheads songs are good. Ogie Alcasid and Regine Velasquez's songs are nice too. :D

One trend I noticed regarding Pinoy music nowadays is that they keep on reviving old songs. It's not that I'm against it or the contemporary versions are that bad but what I fear is that the writers/composers here are slowly running out of ideas. :(

I agree with roninbuddha that there are still some good bands and music in the RP. The only problem is if they get too much exposure, esp. the alternative ones, they become mainstream novelty/pop.

I'll try to upload some songs here in a few days if I still have em in my PC. :P

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline yokoso

• ザ・ストレス~!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 06:06:38 PM »
I love me some pinoy, but to be honest it's so difficult to find stuff here.  It took me FOREVER to get ahold of Jasmine Trias' (pinoy) album and damnit, she's from Hawaii!  (Got it from Ebay.)  The few online stores I do find don't keep up as well as let's say, ethaicd does with Thai music or CDJapan for JP.  Plus the CDs are like, 8 bucks but the shipping is astronomical.

Even searching online, I tend to find the same bands/artists ripped over and over again.. and especially since I'm always looking for non-rock groups/singers and something different from ballads, that makes it even harder.  (I like pop... eep!!)

So far the only albums I've been able to get my hands on are from Mishka Adams (great Jazz.. she's an amazing singer), Kitchie Nadal (I can't help it.. I love her- cool attitude, great singer and simply adorable), Roxie (her E.P. has tons of covers of KISS' korean songs! Yum) and Rica Peralejo (I know ^^;;;;  But I like her dance tracks!)

I think I'll try to upload some tracks sometime to spread the love and get back to my.. err.. half roots.

愛をください〜!!:heart: :heart:  ☆ 恋文 ; a loveletter MUSIC DOWNLOADS & MORE ☆ (now back up 1/13/08)

Offline burndtjamb

The pinoy music thread
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 05:00:12 AM »
i disagree with a previous post saying most OPM bands sounds like CREED
perhaps i am biased being a pinoy but there are old and new bands that have reinvigorated the Pilipino music industry and roused interest in bands as opposed to vocalists such as Sarah Geronimo and Gary V.

...and don't even get me started on Jasmine Trias who, when asked on American Idol what her nationality is, mentioned every other Asian country but the Philippines!  And where is she now?

anyway, post '90s bands like Eraserheads, Pupil, Rivermaya, Sandwich, Orange & Lemons, Yano (and his latest reincarnation-dongabay), Join The Club, M.Y.M.P. and True Faith are but a few examples of great bands that i love and admire...

Revival/Tribute projects have recently gained popularity after the success of Kami nAPO Muna but this is not a case of Pilipino songwriters running out of fresh ideas.  It is rather a case of cashing-in on the nostalgia trip that everyone, especially the older crowd can appreciate from time to time.

I offer two websites where you can download, discover and hopefully appreciate such bands and solo OPM artists:
1.  http://www.mp3mocha.blogspot.com/
-make sure to check out the Archives section too
2.  http://www.kalibog.com/forum.php
-you will need to register but it's free, and worth it
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:03:50 AM by burndtjamb »

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• Right now it's... KKANGPAE SHIDAE!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Does Don Jess have to slap a bitch?
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 06:44:11 AM »
Holy crap, did NOT know there were so many Pinoys here (hey kuya azn~)

I still like OPM, I dont mind it. I just prefer Japanese and Korean music now. But I still bust out some Parokya, Kamikaze, E-heads, etc etc. But of course, they are all bought from the PI (we have a damn collection) beacuse no one uploads them from the internet. Oh well, its cheap in the PI anyway.

-Owaranai_sLaVe
>>LIFE ~is just another story~2008/12/26<<
Please Spread The Love; Pervy Thinkers Association

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 08:03:58 AM »
Quote from: StreakInTheSky;292331
I personally don't like most filipino bands. Most of them tend to sound too much like Creed in Tagalog. >_>

That's what I think too XD

I'm not that big of a fan when it comes to OPM, actually, I hardly listen to it. But I do hear the occasional good song, I also have a liking towards artists like Kitchie Nadal though.

I'm currently obsessed with the song "Pag-ibig Na Kaya" sung by Christian Bautista and Rachelle Ann Go :heart: It's got such a nice melody, and even though I can only understand half the lyrics, it's still great! Haha.

Offline yokoso

• ザ・ストレス~!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 10:49:17 PM »
Quote from: everfree;299307
You know what the Philippines needs? A new wave of Pop bands. Not pop as in popular but pop as in pop music. Or uh ... happy music that isn't novelty or otso-otso/pito-pito.

I agree.  I don't know all that much about pinoy but what I HAVE noticed is that it's totally difficult to find just pure, 'garbage' (the term held very loosely) pop music.  The kind of shit you can just tune into and sing along.  I'm a fan of 'good' music (just like anyone else) but sometimes I need me some Kumi Koda or Morning Musume to get through the day.  Rica was like, the closest I got ;;;;;

For some reason, almost all the compilation CDs I picked up were around 50% ballads and 50% rock.

愛をください〜!!:heart: :heart:  ☆ 恋文 ; a loveletter MUSIC DOWNLOADS & MORE ☆ (now back up 1/13/08)

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 07:48:26 AM »
Here's a site which has streaming OPM music:

http://www.tristancafe.com/music/

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline mysterio

• H!P's JAV Freak
  • ecchi
  • Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 09:04:41 AM »
Quote from: arian;299317

I'm currently obsessed with the song "Pag-ibig Na Kaya" sung by Christian Bautista and Rachelle Ann Go :heart: It's got such a nice melody, and even though I can only understand half the lyrics, it's still great! Haha.

Do you know that the song was created for a Korean drama series showing here in the Philippines? It's called Princess Hours but you probably know it as Goong. And the song is Perhaps Love (english for Pag-ibig na Kaya, hehe) by HowlL and R&B pop singer J.

Yeng is pretty good, considering one of her more popular songs she composed at the ripe age of 14. O_O

Orange and Lemons music is pretty good but there are other good alternative bands such as Sugarfree.

Anyway, I can get you some OPM stuff if you want.  Is it OK to post links here? I know the rules roughly but I want to be sure. :D

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 09:19:38 AM »
Pinoy ikaw ay pinoy
Ipakita sa mundo
Kung ano ang kaya mo
Ibang-iba ang pinoy
Huwag kang matatakot
Ipagmalaki mo pinoy ako
Pinoy tayo

:P

Offline burndtjamb

The pinoy music thread
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 06:23:08 AM »
Quote from: StreakInTheSky;300063
Pinoy ikaw ay pinoy
Ipakita sa mundo
Kung ano ang kaya mo
Ibang-iba ang pinoy
Huwag kang matatakot
Ipagmalaki mo pinoy ako
Pinoy tayo

:P

... an interesting side note: Orange & Lemons ripped-off the melody of this song from "Chandeliers" by an obscure 80's new-wave band called "The Care" which featured Ian Broudie who later formed "The Lightning Seeds"...

“Talent imitates, but genius steals” - TS Eliot
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 06:26:54 AM by burndtjamb »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »
My sister and I noticed things like that about so many "OPM" songs. :lol:

Just yesterday my sister was all like "They ripped off lionel richie!" at one of the songs in that site wordsworth posted.

I also remember a song that got popular like a year ago that ripped-off the chorus from Hikki's First Love.

Don't remember the names of those songs though.

I also noticed the bgm and sound effects of lots of shows are from video games. I also remember the bgm during a show was the x-files theme with a different arrangement.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The pinoy music thread
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 09:12:52 AM »
My dad got yeng constatino's album so I ripped and upped it :P
He loves this girl.

It's not bad. She's sorta like YUI. I would have probably preferred if it was more acoustic and stuff, as the production isn't all that great.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5x4dob

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Gospellers - Shiatorikaru