JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bugy Craxone - Northern Rock

Author Topic: 私のアホ家族(My Stupid Family)[24/6 - Chapter 25: A Series of Unfortunate Events]  (Read 93950 times)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Hi guys sorry for the long delay. I just haven't been in a proper writing mood. >_>; XD

waiwai: Yesh Riho ish a little kitten. What do you expect when you have Reina as a 'papa'? XD And thanks, I had fun writing in King's POV. :D

astro18: Glad you enjoyed the chapter. I know I had fun too. Cats are generally awesome. XD

Kikk4r: King is awesome. For an old cat he certainly knows how to get his way. Ahahaha now King really is the MVP in this story...

eruchan: :P It's not so unusual to write from an animal's point of view. :P It's fun too!

KiriHime: Yes King is awesome. I think the term you're looking for is DNA testing. :P Haha don't think if it suits you then, you can just wait and see until I explain everything. :P Thanks for reading too!

aya-chii: I laughed at your interaction with a real cat while reading the chapter. XD Cats are devious little things, they are. :lol: I'm sorry for altering your view on cats? XD

aussie: Yeah poor Sayu. I'm kinda semi-evil to her here. XD But yes, it's a myth that cats don't care about their owners, so despite King being standoffish and referring to Reina as his pet human, he really still cares. XD

Yuuchan: That is an awesome pic. XD Thanks!

grac: Cute animal pictures win. :D And that's a great fanart! So cute. :3 I should write an omake for it. XD Except that you've already delivered the setting and punchline so it wouldn't be fun to do so anymore. :P

oddball: Yeah King does sort of remember Ai, vaguely though. It's been a long time and her scent if nothing else is a tipoff. XD I find it amusing that no one has noticed that to a cat, they don't have a human equivalent term/concept of kissing, so I just threw nuzzling in as King would interpret...yup. XD

Ok I have a confession. I actually finished this chapter last night but was too tired to comment reply and post, so I'm only doing it now first thing in the morning. Haha. XD Time to edit and post!

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Baby Steps

Riho was confused.

Such a state was not particularly rare for any child in a hectic educational environment. Or really, in any kind of environment. Adults grow up to be perpetually confused, not that they would ever admit it. Children, at least, are more honest about their own feelings.

The facts of the matter were clear, really. She had (unintentionally) run away from home, been found by Tanaka-san, and ended up staying over at her place. Waking up to find Mama by her side had been a surprise, though Riho felt a vague sense of betrayal at Tanaka-san for that. Tanaka-san wasn’t supposed to tell Mama where she was. It broke all the rules of running away! Not that she had been planning to run away. But it was the principle of the thing!

However, it was good to see Mama again, even if the sudden bursting into tears flew against all established convention. Riho prided herself on being practical and in control of her own emotions. To find out that she could be exactly as emotional as Mama came as a shock.

Not that it really mattered. She was only twelve. She could get away with it. Or so she reassured her ego later, when no one was looking.

But back to the matter of her confusion. As far as she knew, Mama and Tanaka-san had only really met that one time on Mothers' Day when they had all gone out together. Riho hadn't really been paying much attention at the time, but she definitely noticed how familiar Tanaka-san and her normally aloof Mama were acting around each other.

It wasn't anything they said, really, at least not in front of her. In a sudden flash of clarity, Riho noticed how Mama would often glance affectionately at some little thing Tanaka-san said or did, as if she knew precisely it was how Tanaka-san would act.

And then there was the matter of Tanaka-san herself, of course. Riho had very good eyes, so she knew how Tanaka-san looked at other people. Her mentor could be intense and focused at work, or with people who had something to teach her. If someone was unknown or of little interest to her, her gaze would pass over them as if they were completely insignificant. If such people approached her, she would watch with wary indifference, ready to harden to outright suspicion or hostility.

Tanaka-san could also look amused or angry or excited under the right circumstances, and her eyes often softened with exasperated affection even when she was speaking disparagingly of Michishige-san. Riho liked to think that Tanaka-san sometimes looked at her with approval, though that in itself was rare and a moment to be savored when earned. Mostly she was subject to amused looks or exasperated sighs, and was more than once on the receiving end of sharp criticism that she knew was for her own good.

That the fiery and independent Tanaka-san now looked to her Mama for some sort of approval baffled Riho. Tanaka-san was more successful in life than her Mama, even though Riho loved her mother dearly and thought her wonderful at everything. Yet Tanaka-san seemed to subtly defer to her Mama in a way Riho couldn't quite put her finger on.

It just felt odd to her. Like there was something going on that she couldn't quite understand. Adults were strange, she reiterated to herself, not for the first time, and certainly not for the last. She resolved to do better when she grew up.

Practical resolutions aside, Riho had other concerns. It was the day before her birthday, and Mama had inexplicably shipped her off to Tanaka-san for some reason. Well, they had done it really well, and Riho shouldn't have suspected a thing, but she just had to overhear a certain phone conversation which made her more than a little suspicious.

They had been at the office, with Riho practicing her signature for an event and Tanaka-san working on something else. Riho had gone for a break some time in between, and on her way back she had overheard Tanaka-san on the phone.

"Yes yes, it'll all go to plan. Don't worry, I'll take care of her. Quit worrying. Yes I remember. No, really. You better not forget what you promised me. Kay. Yes, yes...fine...I'll be there."

Taken on its own the conversation could have meant nothing, but when Tanaka-san asked her oh-so-casually if she wanted to go out after work and maybe have a sleepover at her place later, Riho started connecting the dots. Especially when she phoned Mama for permission and the permission had been given with barely any fuss. That alone would have been fishy, really. Mama had never been a great liar, though she would have taken Tanaka-san at her word had the other factors not been as obvious.

As it was, Riho's suspicions were already aroused, and the convenient placement of her birthday gave her enough of a clue to the motive for such a deception. She was willing to go along with it though. Even if knowing that there was going to be a surprise party made it less of a surprise, not knowing what the surprise was retained enough of an element of mystery to keep her on her toes in pleasant anticipation.

Besides, Tanaka-san was good company. And she bought Riho lots of things, usually clothes. If there was one thing both of them enjoyed, it was shopping. Mama liked it too, but they always had budget restraints. Tanaka-san though, had few such qualms. She was living the single life, raking in big bucks, and spent little enough of what she earned on frivolous things (except clothes, one could never have too many as an idol). She also invested wisely, as she told a boggled Riho once, and had offered to teach Riho how to make her money work for her in the future. Riho was looking forward to that lesson. Mama deserved a better life, and Riho was going to make sure she could give Mama everything she ever wanted once her career got on track.

When Mama arrived earlier to drop off spare clothes and other necessities for a sleepover, Riho had caught a moment of whispering the two adults, something about chocolate. Riho hoped her cake was chocolate. She couldn't wait for her birthday already.

Then Mama had hugged her, and in the wake of her departure, Riho started pondering how she was going to be able to sleep tonight without clinging on to something. Her cat naps didn't count; she could fall asleep anywhere, anytime during those naps. But when she bedded down for the night, she usually had to sleep curled around something and clinging tightly on to them...usually Mama. Well, she was going to be officially twelve tomorrow, so she had better get started on this whole sleep independence thing. Maybe that's why Mama shipped her off to Tanaka-san. To get used to sleeping alone.

But then why not Konno-san? Aunt Konno was a friend of Mama's for a lot longer, and it would make sense for Konno-san to babysit Riho -- she had done so before, and hilarity ensued. Perhaps that was why she didn't get the job often. Riho still remembered how red Mama went when a little Riho asked her innocently about a vagina, after Konno-san's attempt to teach her about the female reproductive system with a chart. She hadn't seen Konno-san for about a week after that, and the bruises hadn't quite faded when she showed up at their house again.

Alright, so maybe Konno-san was off that list. Niigaki-san then? "Gaki-san's reliable", Mama had always said so. But she seemed like the busy sort, so maybe it would be inconvenient? Riho wasn't sure. The few times that she had ended up under Niigaki-san's care, they usually went to Disneyland (not really her idea, but not such a bad place to visit) or stayed in watching, what else, Disney movies. Riho had a feeling Niigaki-san was quite aggrieved with her about those movies though. Maybe it was Mama's influence, but for some reason or other Riho usually ended up pointing out logical loopholes in the movies and over-rationalizing things in general. After a particularly interesting session while watching Beauty and the Beast, Riho was sure Niigaki-san had words with Mama. Very loud, indignant words about how Mama was ruining her childhood. Riho wasn't sure what she meant by that. Surely an interest in the original version over Disney's adaptation couldn't be that much of a sin. Besides, Riho didn't like Gaston. He was the bad guy and meant to be disliked, yes, but did he have to be so annoying?

So that ruled out Niigaki-san. Sort of. Riho couldn't think of anyone else Mama would trust enough to drop her off with. And that, Riho suddenly realized, was what really bothered her. Mama trusted Tanaka-san enough to leave her only daughter with her. Even when Riho had had school field trips, Mama still made her call her daily to report back on her safety. Riho still did so out of habit, if only to spare Mama from worrying herself sick over her. But Mama didn't say a word whenever Riho said that she was out with Tanaka-san, except to ask where they were going or what they were doing, and what time to expect her back home.

Riho couldn't figure out what would make her worrywart of a Mama trust a semi-stranger so implicitly. Surely it couldn't be that Mama was so blinded by her fandom as to hand her own daughter over without protest. Riho had noticed that Mama didn't seem particularly awed by Tanaka-san's presence. Or even Michishige-san's, for that matter. She had been wary though, if Riho's memory was accurate. That in itself was odd. It wasn't like those two celebrities were going to bite her head off. They were rather nice people, even if Michishige-san gave her the heebie-jeebies sometimes. Riho didn't particularly appreciate being made to feel even smaller than she already was, which Michishige-san did on a regular basis with surprise bear hugs whenever they met. Riho had had to keep planning escape routes, to Tanaka-san's amusement. At least her cat-like mentor was not so cruel as to abandon her to her predatory cousin. Riho needed every advantage she had to stay ahead of the game.

At the very least, she was definitely ahead in this particular game. Riho had to try very hard to not smirk when Tanaka-san threw down her cards for the umpteenth time with a scowl. It seemed like her mentor was a sore loser, and Riho was gracious enough in victory to not rub it in. Not gracious enough to stop winning, but well. She hated losing even more, and Mama certainly didn't raise her to be a loser.

Tanaka-san was really adorable when she was sulking. Riho hid a smile at the pout on her mentor's face. Even better, the friendly cat called King was firmly planted in her lap. After a few attempts to coax her disloyal pet back to her, Tanaka-san gave up and called him "a damn traitor". King only opened one eye, gave his erstwhile mistress a dismissive glance, and continued purring as Riho stroked him. Riho found that absolutely hilarious, though she had sense enough to not laugh aloud.

Despite her show of injured pride, Tanaka-san seemed to get over it quickly enough, and Riho found herself breaking her decorum to first giggle, then laugh her head off, at the stories Tanaka-san told of her school days. Her descriptions of a teenage Michishige-san was sufficient to send Riho into a fit of hysterical laughter.

"And did you know, she used to stalk Ai all the time and was like the president of her fanclub back in school?" Tanaka-san snorted again, but Riho just stared at her with wide eyes. The older idol paused, realizing what she just said.

"You knew Mama back when you were in school?" Riho asked slowly, unable to believe her ears. Tanaka-san looked like she was going to facepalm any moment now.

~*~*~

"Uh...yes, well, she was our senpai." Reina looked at Riho with a growing dread. She had let her guard down too easily around the damn kid. She wasn't usually so trusting, for god's sake! What a stupid slip of the tongue.

The kid looked fascinated by the idea. Clearly, Ai had not told her daughter anything from those days. Reina watched carefully as a look of realization dawned on the kid's face. What had the brat figured out now? Damnit, was the kid just too smart or what? Reina was sure Ai was a lot more dense in comparison. If the woman's claims were true though, Riho must have gotten the quick wittedness from her. Talk about being done in by her own cleverness.

"So that's why Mama seemed familiar with you! You must have been friends, yes?" Riho seemed happy, like she had finally figured out something that was bothering her. Reina couldn't help the smirk that touched her lips at that. She had been friends and a lot more with Ai. Not that she could tell the kid. Things were awkward enough as they were, without any added complications.

"Well yes, we were. Sort of." Reina cast her thoughts back to the beginning. They certainly hadn't hit it off immediately, or met in quite a normal way. Not that she would tell Riho that she met Ai while she was out doing compensated dating on the streets, and that a drunk Ai had latched on to her in a fit of moral superiority and tried to get her to give up working the streets. No, definitely not a story to tell anyone, much less someone who was possibly their kid.

"She got on my nerves at first, so I wouldn't say we hit it off immediately." Reina said carefully, with a hint of a smile at the memories that flooded her. Riho looked fascinated by the topic, so Reina gave her the barest sketch of their school days, leaving out the more incriminating details.

"Was Mama really that popular?" Riho asked, her eyes wide. Reina grinned.

"Popular? Maybe not in the way you're thinking. But everyone knew who she was, though they didn't crowd around her. She was, well, intimidating to approach." Reina flopped back on the couch, idly scratching at one leg. "Your Mama was amazingly talented. If she hadn't disappeared entirely, she would be as successful as I am, maybe even more."

"But I happened." Riho said quietly. The kid looked guilty about it, her hands kneading her knees as she bowed her head. King meowed questioningly, and Riho rubbed his ears absently as she continued. "Mama gave up everything for me."

"Yes." Reina said bluntly, but her eyes softened kindly as she reached out to lay one hand on Riho's shoulder. "It's not your fault though. You didn't choose to be born. Ai chose you over her dreams. That shows how important you are to her." She chose you over me, and ran away to raise you. Reina thought with just a hint of bitterness. If anything, I'm jealous.

"That's why I want to stand on the stage Mama couldn't." Riho's eyes glittered with determination. "I'll live my own dreams and let Mama live her dreams through me too. I'll make her proud."

Reina smiled wistfully, ruffling Riho's hair affectionately. "You're a good kid." Riho flushed in embarrassment, covering her face to hide it. Reina grinned.

"I'm sure she already is proud of you."

"Really?" Reina nodded.

"She loves you, kid. Don't worry so much. She's never been good at expressing her affection in words. She'll show you in action instead." Reina smiled wistfully.

"You're damn lucky she's your mother."

Riho smiled back proudly. "I know. Mama is the best." She looked closely at Reina.

"You really seem to know Mama very well. You two must have been close." Riho concluded, smiling radiantly at Reina, who flushed at the remark, though she added nothing save for a quiet cough.

Their conversation became general after that, and Riho soon showed signs of exhaustion. As before, Reina directed the kid to her bed, fully prepared to either take the couch or just lay out a futon for herself. She wondered at the irony of that. No one else had been in her bed before, and she didn't even let anyone sit on it normally. But here she was letting some kid get in for the second time within a week. That had to be a record of some sort.

"Any birthday wishes from the birthday girl?" Reina asked as she tucked the little girl in. It was nearly midnight, and Riho's eyes were drooping.

"Can't say, it won't come true otherwise..." Riho mumbled, clinging on to the extra pillow Reina gave her. "But since you asked...I want my Papa to come back." She dropped off between one word and the next, and Reina was left staring at the kid.

"Silly girl, I'm already here." Reina whispered impulsively, planting a soft kiss on her kid's forehead and smoothing away the stray strands. She still had her doubts about Ai's tale, but Reina couldn't deny the growing sense of kinship with the kid. Perhaps the effect was psychological from everything Ai kept telling her, but Reina trusted her instincts. She could not help but feel the growing sense of protectiveness over the little kitten curled in her bed, and wondered if that wasn't Ai's real motive for letting Riho spend increasing amounts of time with her.

Not that Reina minded in particular. It meant that she got to see more of Ai in general, though there was still a small awkwardness between them. The habit of suspicion ran deep, and Reina was more paranoid than most. She couldn't help it. Ai had left her once before. It was difficult to build that same level of trust again overnight.

Time for all things, and patience in them, she supposed. Reina tried to remove her arm, but found it stuck in Riho's death grip in sleep. After a few unsucessful attempts with muttered curses, Reina gave in and crawled into bed next to the little tyrant.

It was strange sleeping next to anyone. Reina felt herself curl protectively around the brat in her arms. Out of the corner of her eye she spotted King, who seemed to be sporting a knowing sort of gleam in his eye. Reina decided to not think about it.

Let the events of tomorrow be resolved as they come.

======================================================================

My disclaimer here is that I wrote without really thinking about it, so I apologize for the long digressions and random spiralling-off in my thought processes. XD

More to come. This story isn't quite over yet. :P

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline KirikomoriHime

• Mittsi Wota~
  • Member+
  • すべては愛の力 <3
Re: 私のアホ家族 (trl:My Stupid Family) [22/7 - Chapter 20: Baby Steps]
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2011, 04:39:40 AM »
Riho-chaaaaaan!! Such a good little daughter!!! ; A; Give Kiri a hug >w<

Konno and Gaki baby sitters *o* oh gawd Konno xD that's what you get for corrupting Riho~  :cathappy: hm no Mako?  :?

Yay thanks for the update!! Such a cute chapter  :cathappy:

~ GakiKame, KameShige, TakaMitsii , JunSayu, YajiSuzu, MiyaSaki~

Offline xyukie56

Re: 私のアホ家族 (trl:My Stupid Family) [7/8 - Chapter 20: Baby Steps]
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »
HAH! The way I think of it is ; the more you ramble, the more you read !  :twothumbs

Offline eruchan

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2011, 10:35:27 AM »
'Father' and daughter bonding time? Looks like Reina accepts Riho as her daughter now.
LOL at Konno attempted to teach little Riho about female reproductive system, and completed with a chart too! XD
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:55:26 AM by eruchan »

Offline aussie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
PAPA REINA :rockon:

Looks like King has taken quite a liking to his master's hidden offspring XD King is just awesome, I can't help but keep referring to him. He truly is turning out to be the unexpected star in the story. Reina's tantrum when he refused to respond to her coaxing was just hilarious, and I could just picture Reina's ticked off face as she sulks XD

So Papa is getting more and more used to the idea of RihoRiho is her kid. It's just natural, I guess. Must say though, I look forward to Sayu's reaction when she finds out about the truth behind Riho's parentage XD Ho ho ho. Fun scenes.

But Reina, compensated dating????? That's a bit beyond simply being yankii isn't it? Meeting each other for the first time, one being drunk, the other in a rather dodgy business, sure is not the usual meet cute :lol: They were just meant to be.

I want to see more of Mama and Papa trying to make up the 12 years lost between them (no, I'm not just talking about the make-up sex :P), sweet as it is to see Papa bonding with a long lost daughter. I can imagine Ai being the strict mother and Reina being the easy-going dad who tries to cheer up Riho after being scolded by Mama, and gets frowned on for being too easy on the kid XD

I always say this, but I'm already counting down towards the next chapter :P
(There are no words to describe Konno's 'lesson' with Riho and Ai's violent retribution XD Oh Konno~)

Offline Kikk4r

• Member+
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »
YEY UPDATE :cow: Finally

PAPA REINA Rocks :yossi:

Sooo Riho probably got some sort of hint of what happend and that wish was sweet of her :)Reina too

are Reina going to trust Ai again any time soon?

hopes for more soon

Offline SarangAi

• TakaGaki<3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • GAKI-SAN!!! <333
« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »
Ahhh sorry for not commenting on the previous chapter!!!  For some reason, I thought that I did, but I hadn't... so yeah :nervous

Anyway, I absolutely LOVED King's POV.  In the matter of appreciation for good literature, my appreciation for that chapter cannot grow larger than it already is.  Really, it was so unique and fun to read :lol: :lol:

omg and I'm so happy to see Reina finally warming up to Riho!  I guess deep inside, she actually wants to believe that Riho is her child so she can somewhat numb that pain of Ai-chan leaving her for some guy/kid.  then, Ai-chan would've left for their child while still being in love with Reina.... *fangirls* :wub: :wub: :inlove: :inlove:

Every time I read a chapter of your story, I learn something new about styles and writing and such.  I absolutely love it! :twothumbs

avii&sig by the wonderful kawaii beam~!

Offline oddball

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Off in the woods........
« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2011, 12:53:26 PM »
Aww Reina/Riho bonding, I wonder though, if perhpas Reina's feelings towards being the father are those of someone truly having a paternal interest towards a child or is it because she feels as though it may be true after spending some time with the girl and getting to like her, hmm perhpas it may be partly becuase however untrue/impossible Reina might think Ai's story is, she herself may want it to be true.....

Offline Shiawase_Honoo

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Happy大作戦
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
Ahahahahahaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I can imagine little Riho's face  :rofl:
But...daddy and daughter bonding...awwww :wub: :wub: :wub:
Nothing to say as ever :nervous
I have to leave before the homework moutain fall down onto me :nervous
Thanks for this chap, Estrea :bow:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
I'm back! :D Hehe. Mini chapter!

KiriHime: Riho is such a good kid. :heart: But yes, she's a little hellion too, considered the people who helped raise her. No Mako because Mako wasn't around at the time. But we'll get to a tale of Mako-babysitting eventually. It shalt be epic for I have decreed it. So mote it be. XD

xyukie56: Hiiiii welcome aboard! I suppose that's one way to look at it. Hope to see you around more! :D

eruchan: Reina has taken a liking to Riho. The whole daughter thing is still sinking in, I think she's still trying to wrap her mind around what it means to be a parent, or that she's a parent at all. XD And yes, Konno did try to explain with diagrams! :lol: What can I say, I like my scientists eccentric. :D

aussie: Papa Reina for the win. XD Even if she hates being called Papa. XD And yes, even I didn't expect King to be so well received. Unintended awesome, can you imagine? XD Sayu does find out in this chapter, but sadly there is less crack than I thought. I suppose I could omake it, but eh. XD Mhm Reina has had a very checkered past. I really need to write that prequel now. Lmao. Oh the commitments...
Yes, well, I haven't really done much on the ReinAi side of things because this story was really supposed to be about Riho. XD I shall rectify that as soon as I am able, I promise. :D And I agree with those archetypes. Reina will probably teach Riho how to get away with murder, to Ai's disapproval, of course. XD And aren't you glad you don't have to wait long for a new chapter this time? :D

Kikk4r: :P At least you got an update! :P Well you can't expect Reina to throw away 12 years of absence like nothing happened. She's wary and for good reason too. But she does like Riho so that helps. XD We'll work on it!

SarangAi: Haha no problem, at least you commented this time. XD And thanks for considering my work "good literature". I think that's the first time anyone has said that to me. :lol: *head inflates and bursts* XD It's true that Reina does want to believe Ai, though her head is still suspicious since it's all too improbable. XD I'm glad I could be of service!

oddball: Thank you for observing all that. Reina does have a motive in wanting to believe in Ai. It'd be easier on her feelings to believe Ai, but first she would have to conquer her mind, or at least convince herself that it's the right thing to believe. XD And she's not easily swayed lol. But she has gotten to know Riho, and she can't reject the kid at this stage, not after already accepting her without knowing how they're related. XD Caught in an interesting dilemma there, Reina...

Shiawase_Honoo: But yes, father and daughter bonding. :heart: I'm glad you still came to read and comment despite having homework. ^^; Hope I didn't distract you too much and that it made you happier for a while before having to go back to fight that mountain of homework. XD

Ok time to edit and post!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline KirikomoriHime

• Mittsi Wota~
  • Member+
  • すべては愛の力 <3
« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:22 PM »
Wedge? :D

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:20 PM »
Midnight Visit

The door creaked open slowly as one pale hand groped around blindly for the light switch. Creative curses were invented on the spot as toes were bumped and knees knocked. There was an indignant yowl when she stepped on something warm and furry, and our midnight visitor very nearly fell over as she tried to regain her footing to a cacophony of disgruntled hissing.

Fortunately, she had come prepared for the eventuality of the feline sentinel in her cousin's home. Catnip was produced, and King was pacified. For as long as it lasted anyway. He did not easily forgive nor forget the offense of having his tail stepped on. But he would let it pass for now. Truce would be honored...ahh, glorious, wonderful sensory delight!

Michishige Sayumi sighed aloud as she finally located the switch, the soft glow of the spotlights making her wince at first. Behind her, in a corner, King was curled around the herb with a blissful enjoyment of an addict. The devious bunny congratulated herself on the tactic. Her previous tool of food had been wearing thin as an effective form of bribery, so more extreme measures had been required.

Looking around the hall, Sayumi was surprised to hear no soft rumble of television noises, and the couch lacked the familiar sight of her cat-like cousin lounged in it. Reina never went to bed this early unless she had to wake up before dawn, and sometimes not even then. Was the brat sick? A distinct possibility.

Being the good cousin she obviously had to be, Sayu laid down her burdens on the dining table, then went padding in search of her missing relative. She made a beeline for Reina's room, hesitated at the door briefly, before pushing it open very slowly and carefully. Reina never liked it when people invaded the sanctity of her room. Even as her cousin, Sayu rarely entered without permission, save for the times when she forced her way in for Reina's own good. That couldn't be helped, not when the stubborn brat decided to barricade herself in for days. Sayumi was a practical woman. Certain realities had to be observed...

...the current reality of which could not possibly be true. The bunny almost made an about-turn to check if she really was in the right apartment. Then she turned back, blinked several times, rubbed her eyes, counted to ten while holding her breath, and pinched herself.

Yes, there was Reina in her bed. There was someone next to her. A certain, very familiar someone that could not possibly be there and why on earth was RihoRiho latched onto Reina like a newborn puppy?

The mind boggles. Bed. Reina. Riho. Bed. Sayu felt an irrational wave of hatred and jealousy at her peacefully dozing cousin. Honestly, how could the brat get everything all the time? Without even trying!

Then she re-evaluated the scene with a critical eye, and sighed. It was rare enough that Reina was actually getting some sleep. Sayumi might not always be there for her cousin, particularly in recent years, but she did keep an eye out for her wayward relative. Spontaneous, unannounced visits like these often had her finding Reina either still awake and cranky, or passed out at her desk with the lamp still burning. She alone knew that the sunglasses Reina wore everywhere weren't just a fashion statement, they helped to hide the dark circles under her eyes as well.

They didn't talk about much of anything anymore, what with Reina and her stupid pride and damn secretiveness getting in the way, but Sayumi had her ways. By being loud and annoying and forcing her way in all the time, she made sure that Reina ate properly and was in reasonably good condition. She would be worried on the day when Reina stopped biting back at her whenever she was being deliberately obnoxious. It meant that her cousin was in one of those moods again.

Sayumi shook her head, deciding that tonight, obviously, her intervention would not be needed. Her thoughts wandered to the bento boxes waiting outside. Her own stomach rumbled. She had not eaten after the TV recording ended earlier, choosing instead to come straight over. Not that she was ever appreciated. She sighed.

"Sayu? That you?" Reina yawned widely, peering sleepily at the figure highlighted in her doorway. She stretched lazily, like the cat she resembled. Sayu had almost forgotten how light a sleeper her cousin was. Those same piercing eyes, though fogged with sleep, were now trained on her.

"No, I'm your mother." Sayumi shot back smartly, earning a derisive snort from Reina.

"Ha. Not funny." Reina tugged at her formerly captive arm, the death grip on it having been loosened as Riho turned in her sleep. It was still numb though, and Reina flexed her fingers gingerly to regain some feeling in it.

"Before you ask, yes, Ai knows she's here. She asked me to take her for tonight, actually." Reina pressed a finger to her lips, gesturing at Sayu to leave the room as she extricated herself from the bed with infinite care. Riho snuggled deeper into the pile of blankets Reina left as a substitute, and the cousins exited without a word.

"So." Sayu wondered how to voice all the nagging questions in her head. Reina seemed amused by her internal struggle as they sat at the dining table. It was a testament to the ritual it had become that neither of them needed further prompting to start digging into the food Sayumi had brought with her. Reina, as usual, picked at her food, but for a different reason this time: she was actually not very hungry, not after having a proper meal with Riho earlier that evening.

"You and Ai?" Sayu left it hanging. Reina pushed a cherry tomato around idly, considering her answer. Sayu smiled, taking the uncertain pause as an answer. Reina looked up and smiled wryly. They knew each other too well sometimes.

"I'd have thought you'd be more stubborn about it." Sayumi commented airily, popping a slice of salmon into her mouth. Reina chuckled.

"So did I, cousin."

Sayu peered closely at the closed mask of Reina's face, reading the subtle cues that were barely present...as well as the significance of the mask actually being there. Reina only ever used it when she was deep in thought, or if she wished to conceal her feelings. Sayu sensed it was the former now, all things considered.

"You're totally whipped." It was a goad, an obvious one at that, and Sayu did not expect Reina to be caught by it. Nor was she, at least not obviously. The fact that Reina chuckled at it was a tad surprising though. No denial there.

"I wonder if it isn't I who held her in chains instead, or if we're both fools yoked together by some cosmic sense of humour." Reina shook her head in disbelief as something obviously occurred to her, and then laughed lightly, ironically, for no reason that Sayu could perceive.

"Doesn't it bother you? With, you know, the kid?" Sayu had to ask. She was curious. Also a little baffled at the strange mood Reina seemed to be in.

"That's the punchline." Reina deadpanned. Sayu looked confused. Reina took one look at her face, laughed, then shook her head again.

"Oh Sayu, the joke's on us." Her cousin looked confused. Reina chuckled.

"It's a long, long story..."

==========================================================================

In between sort of chapter. XD I'm totally cheating with all these .5 chapters. :D I did say it would end at 25ish. So...ya. Giving myself wiggle room without compromising on plot or pacing. :3 Hehe.

And now I scoot off to bed!

EDIT: Grats KiriHime! :D Your wedge is successful!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Kikk4r

• Member+
I wonder what will happen if Sayu gets to know that Riho is Reinas

and that sayu is a stalker is kinda creepy-_-

and i dont really know what to comment-_-"

Offline xyukie56

haha. i`ve been reading your fanfics for a while. i just never commented.

Offline KirikomoriHime

• Mittsi Wota~
  • Member+
  • すべては愛の力 <3
YES SUCCESS haha  :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow:

King, you marvelous, deviant mastermind you. -snuggles- Shall we plot your revenge? Oh Sayu, you're in for it...  :twisted:

Poor Sayu. It's not your fault that Reina was gifted with the ability to impregnate your former high school stalkee. And what is this? No cat fight? -no pun intended- Sayu, I was expecting more from you xD

Thanks for the update!!  :thumbup :cathappy: :cathappy: :cathappy: :cathappy:

Offline oddball

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Off in the woods........
« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
There was an indignant yowl when she stepped on something warm and furry, and our midnight visitor very nearly fell over as she tried to regain her footing to a cacophony of disgruntled hissing.

:O uh oh Sayu know your in for it!!!!

Catnip was produced, and King was pacified. For as long as it lasted anyway.

:lol: bribery, King you devious cat you, I wonder if he is still planning rvenge though........  :panic:

I wonder if Reina is going to tell Sayu about how she could be Riho's father and what might happen, or more likely what Sayu might do with this sort of information.....

Offline nighell

• ecchi
  • Member+
Stupid, but...
Interestingly, this is just me over the last few chapters, there is a wild desire to stroke the Reina as a cat?  :nervous

In anticipation of the next chapters:
good close the door if you're going to talk about than something important.
Sorry for my bad English

Offline eruchan

• ecchi
  • Member+
Ha.. Sayu comes well-prepared XD perhaps a lesson she learned from her first attempt of sneaking in?
And LOL at her jealousy.. Although she has the right to, since her dear cousin really get all that she wants, Ai and Riho.. I'm looking forward to see her reaction when Reina reveals that Riho is her daughter XD

Offline SarangAi

• TakaGaki<3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • GAKI-SAN!!! <333
LOL and so the stalker bunny returns  :mon cweepy: :mon look: :mon rush:

I love how she's obsessive over Riho so much  :lol:

lol like everyone else, i'm also curious as to what will happen when she finds out Riho is Reina's daughter... maybe she'll be happy to know that Riho is actually family?  she's her second cousin or something then, right?  XD

can't wait for more~  :gmon twirl:

avii&sig by the wonderful kawaii beam~!

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bugy Craxone - Northern Rock