JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Beat Crusaders - Imagine

Author Topic: City of Angels (Chapter 15 on 10/20)  (Read 32245 times)

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
City of Angels (Chapter 15 on 10/20)
« on: July 26, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
Hello everyone:)
I know I have other things to update... But I had this idea after reading a certain fic and thinking about a lot of other different things... Plus I figured any writing at all might get me back to writing everything else...
Anyway, enjoy :) And I know what you're thinking... It's symbolism...

City of Angels

When they found me, I’d barely finished crying.

It wasn’t that I was a crybaby, although the others teased me all the time for being excitable and over-emotional. I can’t help that I’m not like them, even if I tried to be.

She understood though. And that’s why she tried to protect me from everything. She believed that there should be something more to our life than… our life. And for a long time, she hid me from the worst of it.

“You shouldn’t have come out tonight,” growled a crude voice in the dark of an alley. “It isn’t safe for… young girls like yourself.”

“I… I had to bring my sister home from a piano lesson. I couldn’t let her walk through here on her own.”

“We got no problem with your sister,” another of the boys said in a more youthful-sounding voice. “She can run along through here as much as she’d like, at least for a few more years.”

“I’m not letting her walk through here by herself,” the surrounded girl said in a firmer voice through clenched teeth.

“Well then, I guess we do have a problem.”

I did have a few friends who weren’t like them. She encouraged me to get to know the better-off girls at school, though around here that means growing up on Walnut Street instead of Oak Street.

Still, they had dreams. Maybe none of them could ever really make them come true, but at least most of them had a chance.

The girl sitting off in the shadows winced again, arms hugging her knees and her eyes becoming moist as she watched her sister fall to the ground after a blow to the middle, but they didn’t stop. Now that their target was closer to the ground they kicked out sharply with their filthy tennis shoes, again and again regardless of the grunts and moans of pain from their victim.

Suddenly they stopped, and the girl could now hear her sister coughing, although it was a kind of cough she had never heard before. It definitely wasn’t due to a normal sickness.

Then, as she absently wiped at her cheeks which had somehow become wet, her sister turned her head slowly to look at her.

That was my life – a life of being cared for by her since my mother never seemed to be around, friends I sometimes felt out-of-place with, and long walks to school during which we might hear nothing, dogs barking, or the crack of a gunshot a few blocks away. Usually there were at least the dogs.

Sometimes if we went a certain way I’d hear a hard and steady beat of music, and maybe even see some older kids along the street moving to it in a way I never thought was possible for anyone. Whenever this happened my friends would talk about how their brothers or sisters would sometimes get invited to learn some of those moves too, and it was a thing of pride whenever it happened. After all, it was more evidence that they had a chance.

I felt left out at times like this, ‘cause I never had cool stories like that of my sister to tell anyone.

The sole of a shoe to her cheek jerked the beaten girl’s head back around, and the silent observer thought she heard a nasty crack this time as well.

‘Why won’t they stop kicking her?’ she thought, wiping her cheeks once again. At least her sister wasn’t screaming. She’d hear screams sometimes in the night, usually while lying on her mattress but sometimes even when they were walking home like they were tonight.

Sniffing to herself, a small smile came to her face. Perhaps it might have been surprising on most people, but she was known for smiling through almost whatever came at her. This time, she was thinking that maybe the lack of screaming was something she could be proud of.

Instead of being invited to learn how to move to music, my sister usually hung out with them. I didn’t know much about them really, except that they’d always walk down the street together, in order to “keep the ‘hood clean” as they put it.

Sometimes they listened to music, but usually only when one of the older ones would bring a noisy and smelly car that they’d all cruise around in instead of their normal walking. It was always a cause for celebration when they got hold of a car. I never thought much of it, but it was almost always a different one every time.

My sister didn’t always walk or cruise with them. She had me to worry over, after all. Also, she’d tell me sometimes how she wasn’t comfortable with a lot of the things they did, but also how she had no choice and that being a part of their gang was the only way she could get by around here.

I didn’t totally understand her, but she said she was trying to find a different way for me, so that I would just maybe not have to do these things which she talked about being so uncomfortable with, yet did anyway. Most of the time I just wished I had more things about her to tell my friends so that I could sound proud too.

When the quietly sobbing girl was just about to think it would never end, the kicking stopped, and the people looming around her sister said a few last, low words before most of them turned away.

Before they all left though, one turned to the girl in the shadows of the dumpster, and the two stared at each other a moment before he took a step toward her. Her breath caught, but he came no closer.

“You look like a smart one,” he said in a soft voice, but loud enough for her to hear. “Maybe you won’t make the same mistakes as your sister.”

And with those simple words, he turned and walked away slowly after the others, leaving the girl alone in the alley with just the still shape of her sister on the ground several feet away.

Noticing that she was sniffing now that it was silent in the alley, her eyes widened in amazement that she had apparently still been crying. Trying to calm herself, she began to crawl slowly toward the motionless form, and when she arrived reached out to touch it, recoiling slightly when her fingers contacted dampness on her jacket.

“Nee-chan… Nee-chan!!” she whispered loudly and urgently, shaking her sister to get her attention. There was no response though, and she sat back on her heels to try and think what to do. However, she couldn’t seem to think at the moment.

“A… Aika…” came a hoarse voice suddenly from before her, and the battered girl stirred.

“Nee-chan!!” Aika cried in relief, but looked around anxiously a moment before returning to her companion. “Risa… Come on… Let’s go home…”

“A... Aika…” her sister repeated, and for the first time, the younger girl realized something was very wrong.

“W-what is it?” she stuttered in response, her fear increasing steadily.

“Be… a good girl…” Risa said, her voice seeming to weaken with every word. “You can… do anything you put your heart into.”

Feeling herself tear up again, but this time not caring, Aika took the hand that she felt seeking her own and squeezed it tightly. She burst out in a quick, nervous laugh. “What are you talking about? Nee-chan, come on… Let’s go home!”

“Tell…” Risa said, now seeming barely able to breathe a word, her hand’s grip weakening quickly within her little sister’s own. Aika tried to grip harder as if by just putting in the effort she’d help Risa do so as well.

“Tell… I love…”

But the faint grip against Aika’s hand lost the rest of its energy, and as her sister knelt sobbing next to her, Risa’s body slumped against the ground one final time.

When they found me, and I’d managed to embarrassedly wipe away all the tears, I had one thought as they pulled me away and out of the alley.

I now knew a story to tell about my sister.

She did her best to get by in the City with those she loved.

Now it was up to me to figure out how to do the same.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:06:10 PM by rokun »

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
Re: City of Angels (Teaser Intro)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:09:44 PM »
OMG rokun!!! I love this already....even though you KILLED GAKI!!!! :shocked Why does everyone like to kill her?!?!?! :cry: Aika's super cute though~

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »
Why do you do this to me Rokun, WHY?
Nooo... Risa come back! Don't go into the light! Call an ambulance. D:

Hmph... city of angels... well, Risa is one now, isn't she? ;o;
I still look forward to where this is going in any case, despite the awful (awful in the sense of what happened and not quality) teaser. And yes, you do have other things to update, don't you. :P It's okay though, you can't rush genius.

Offline slasha

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
They killed Gaki! That was sort of unexpected...

But that means that Aika can get some revenge :lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:52:13 AM »
RISA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
:OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

And welcome back dude. ^_^

RISA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
:pleeease: :pleeease: :pleeease:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 01:47:40 AM »
RISAAAAAAAAAA!!! :OMG: Nooo!!! :cry: :cry:

...Why is it always her!? ;__; MUST. KNOW. WHAT. HAPPENS. NEXT. D:

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 02:31:21 AM »
Dammit, why does Risa always die in our fics? xDDDDDD

I really like the overall sullen city mood you portray here. Hope to see it in the rest of the story <3

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • K-M-E-I Kamei! K-A-M-E Kyamei!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 06:57:28 AM »
Oooh, interesting and yes, welcome back! I have been trying to make a comeback as well. Nice intro despite that tragic moment. Looking forward to the rest! :D

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:31:38 AM »
R-Risa's dead?! OMG yo, now I'm hooked. Like I could get out of being addicted to one of your stories.

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:23:09 AM »
Crud...only the opening and someone's already dead!  I have a feeling Risa wouldn't be the only one dying in this fic....even though it's probably going to be tragic, judging from the first chapter, I already feel this is going to be just as brilliant as your other fics. 

“Tell… I love…”

I'm thinking it's actually "Tell...Ai"
Even though Aika here is cute, I would absolutely love some Takahashi revenge action. 

Can't wait to see who the main characters will be~

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: City of Angels (Chapter 1)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »
Wow, thank you ALL for reading my new story! ^_^ It's great to get so many comments, and I hope most of you keep enjoying it as the story rolls along. :)

...Obviously, most of the comments were to the untimely death of a Miss Niigaki :cry:, but that was really it for the "teaser intro" I decided on, and hopefully this first chapter will give you more to think and talk about. Oh, and I've decided to try and split up chapters after I finish a section, so things will look different than in most of my other stories... at least at first... It also means that in the coming chapters more (even significant) characters will appear, so if you're looking for someone just hang on. :)

Also, a special thank you to those I haven't seen in awhile (or AGES), like Sukoshi and e-girl! I'm glad AX has seemed to bring so many people to/back to JPHiP. :) Anyway, it looks like you're all looking forward to the next chapter, so I won't disappoint. As always and forever, enjoy~

Chapter 1

Aika Mitsui stared at what filled the assorted plates and bowls on her tray, wondering not for the first time how she was actually expected to eat things like this. Shrugging and supposing it didn’t really matter, she stuck a finger into what she thought was potatoes and licked it clean. As she was still sucking on it she looked up slowly to see a taller girl set her own tray down next to hers and sit across from her.

“You’re such a baby, sucking your thumb,” Koharu Kusumi, the girl from a year ahead of her who was supposed to be her best friend, told her as if she’d done so many times before.

“Am not,” Aika mumbled as she picked up a somewhat bent fork awkwardly to stab a sausage with it.

When she looked up again, the girl was giving her a funny look, eyes never leaving her face. “Ok what’s up? There’s never been a time I’ve told you that when you didn’t respond by giggling and telling me you might be, but at least your face wasn’t fat.”

“Nothing’s up,” Aika said simply, continuing to prod at her food, bits occasionally making it to her mouth.

Koharu bluntly reached over and knocked the bowl Aika was working on to the side of the tray, poking her wrist. “Hey, how long have I known you? I can tell if you’re lying to me as easily as if your hair fell out.”

Aika looked up finally, the previous target of her attentions having been displaced. She raised a hand to the hair hanging over her ears. “My hair…?” she asked dumbly.

Next thing she knew her head rocked to the side as her friend slapped her jaw. “Hello?” Koharu asked. “Is there anyone home in there? Geez Aika, I’m beginning to wonder if you shoulda joined Chisa and Kanna in dropping out of school.”

Aika slowly turned back to her attacker. The slap didn’t actually hurt; Koharu did it to her all the time, partly out of amazement she didn’t seem to feel any pain, but usually just out of boredom. Of course it used to hurt. But she learned rather quickly to ignore pain as minor as that. Lately some of her other friends were even catching onto the game of “Let’s slap Aika!” Especially Miyabi-chan.

“Maybe I should,” she said simply in response, and started stabbing the table with her bent fork.

“Ok now I really know something’s wrong,” Koharu responded, the serious tone returning to her voice, and now much stronger. “You’ve always thought those girls were idiots – ‘the only not stupid reason for dropping out of school is getting knocked up,’ if I remember right.” It was obvious the girl was surer she remembered right than she let on.

“I don’t know,” Aika responded dully.

After a moment of silence she looked up slowly again, seeing Koharu still staring back at her with a serious, if slightly dumb, curiosity. Of course, that’s just how her friend was. “They got my sister last night, all right?”

“What?” Koharu asked, her face screwing up slightly. “Got her? Is she all right?”

“She’s dead,” Aika responded in her simple words once again.

Koharu stared at her a minute with a blank face, before blinking and then somewhat uncertainly picking up a fork to poke at her own food. Aika dragged her bowl back in front of her and cupped it in her hands, staring into its depths.

“Hey you two!” came an alto voice from beside her, but she didn’t turn to watch as Miyabi took a seat. A small fit of giggling told her Chinami-chan was with the girl as well.

“There you guys are!” came another, but higher voice, and recognizing it as Ayacho’s, Aika knew their little lunch group was now growing by a couple more.

“What’d ya bring for lunch, Miyabi-chan?” Sayaka, one of the new arrivals, asked as she dug into a brown bag she plopped in front of her.

“Ahh, I’m sluggin’ it today, Saaya” Miyabi responded, referring to her eating the cafeteria’s lunch, which could be slimy enough that’s what it tasted like sometimes. Or perhaps people had actually found slugs in it before. No one seemed to know for sure.

“You and the two musketeers both, I see,” the brazen first-year responded, eyeing Aika and Koharu, who were quiet and involved in their eating as if the others hadn’t even arrived.

“Is it me or are they even more spazzed than usual today?” Miyabi said, leaning over to wave a hand in front of Aika’s face.

“Leave off, Natsuyaki,” Koharu said through a mouthful of food.

“Oh yeah?” the other responded, her voice taking on a sardonic warning tone. “You wanna make me?”

“Careful, Miya,” Chinami giggled, tugging at the other’s arm. “Don’t want you to start a fight and get spanked only halfway through the day.” Then the girl leaned in and whispered in the other’s ear. “That’s my job for later…” Despite her attempted detachment, Aika choked on her food upon hearing that, and noticed Miyabi color slightly as well. Likely no one but the two of them heard what Chinami had said.

“I can take her anytime,” Miyabi grumbled out loud. “And aren’t you supposed to be my supportive girlfriend in things like this?”

Aika’s two classmates were the first ones in their little group to start dating, although to her knowledge they never admitted anything officially aside from teasing such as this. None of them had even caught the two kissing, though Aika was sure it happened.

It used to be in this part of the City that girls would have kids young and maybe eventually marry the father of the third or fourth. Aika’s own mother, in fact, had her sister when she was sixteen, and in truth Aika and Risa were only half-sisters since, like many siblings around here, they had different fathers. Due to a cultural technicality, it also resulted in different family names, Risa’s happening to have been Niigaki.

These days however, with women taking more of a stand for themselves and the men only becoming less and less reliable, most of them had decided to live without men entirely, at least if and until they wanted to get knocked up, in which case there were normally plenty of willing “volunteers”. They generally let intense and real emotional attachments develop only with other women, or in their case, girls.

Miyabi and Chinami seemed to get along well enough, which was good since they had all been friends to begin with, but Aika still wasn’t sure what she thought of the whole deal. She didn’t know if she was even ready to have a crush on anyone yet…

Unfortunately, as many things had so far today, that again made her think of her sister, and this time of her last words. She’d been thinking about them ever since, not completely sure of what she was trying to tell her, but with the word she definitely did make out – “love” – she had an idea of the content of the message at least. Not that it did a whole lot of good. There were many things about her life her sister hadn’t told her… including why last night had to happen.

“Maybe if you quit being so silly and childish Miyabi-chan, she wouldn’t be embarrassed about doing so,” Ayaka teased in her perpetually half-amused and half-insecure sounding voice.

Miyabi responded by sticking her tongue out at the precocious girl, and then waved a spoon at her. “You know I won’t take any lectures from a first year.”

“Will you guys stop fighting?” Koharu asked in a long-suffering voice, her eyes browsing Aika’s face again.

For her part, Aika finally looked up from her food to see Saaya and Ayacho smiling at her from across the table. She didn’t glance in Miyabi’s direction; instead, her eye was caught by three girls passing by their table and giggling to each other. All three were in Koharu’s year, and the two had run into them from time to time. The tall one shared some of Koharu’s classes, and so they particularly knew each other relatively well.

They didn’t do much more than glance over at the six younger girls at the table though, one of the shorter ones making eye contact with Aika and continuing to giggle. Aika felt herself flush, although it wasn’t completely due to the giggling. She hid it by burying her face back into her bowl, which was now nearly empty.

“Look at the three of them,” Sayaka complained, watching as they left. “Acting like they’re all big shot.”

“They’re third years,” Chinami replied simply. “Now they’re upperclassmen they’re simply taking advantage of their—”

“…assholeness…” Miyabi interrupted.

“…age.” Chinami finished, frowning at her girlfriend.

“I… I don’t think they’re too bad,” Aika said in a small voice, speaking for the first time since the others arrived.

“Well look who woke up!” Sayaka teased.

After the momentary surprise from Aika’s outburst, and a short group stare at her until she blushed back into her food, noticing Koharu’s eyes following her the whole way, Chinami glanced over to Koharu. “Why aren’t you all cool like that? You’re the same year as them.” For the first time in a while Koharu took her eyes from Aika, narrowing them at her questioner instead.

“I hear they’ve been invited to Pine Street,” Ayaka piped up, immediately earning the attention of the other girls except for Aika and Koharu. Pine Street was where the kids went to practice dancing, and was considered one of the elite – non-violent at least – social groups to be involved with.

Chinami whistled through her teeth. “Now that’s something. Good for them. Seriously Koharu, what are you good for?”

“I saw Yajima-san out on the track one day,” Ayaka continued. “She’s actually a really good dancer!”

When she’d barely finished, Koharu suddenly jumped up from her chair, rattling her tray when she slammed her hands on the table. “That’s enough!” she almost yelled. “You guys are all stupid, fighting like this and just being rude all the time! Can’t you give it a break for even just one day?!”

“Koharu-chan…” Aika whined softly, looking up at her friend and pleading with her to sit back down.

“What’s the matter with you?” Miyabi asked in disbelief. Koharu was a little… over-energetic… at times, but rarely just blew up so seriously like this. The two first years were actually looking a bit scared, and Aika saw them cling to each others’ arms.

“We’re always like this,” Chinami protested in a less caustic voice than her girlfriend. “Why’s today so special?”

Koharu didn’t say anything in response, instead just glaring down at Aika, who was trying to make herself as small as possible, before harrumphing and stalking off, leaving her lunch which miraculously she managed to eat most of while everyone was talking. Aika rolled her eyes across her own barely eaten food before she noticed everyone was staring at her again.

“What’s her deal?” Miyabi griped as she turned to look after the runaway.

“What’s going on, Aika-chan?” Chinami asked in a soothing voice. “First you’ve been so quiet, and then she blows her top and marches off like that. Something must have happened.”

Aika stared into her bowl again. She didn’t want to talk about it, but she also didn’t want to have this drag on again either, even like it had with Koharu.

“My sister’s dead, okay?” she said, a bit curtly, and lifted her almost untouched bowl of rice before walking off as well, not looking back into the stunned silence she left behind.

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 04:23:31 PM »
Part of this reminded me of a book I read a long time ago called "Come Lucky April", mostly the small glimpse we got into how their society works although it's only just a small similarity in how the females seemed to have grouped together. The story has this dystopian, apocalypic feel about it that feels quote oppressive but at the same time I'm super curious as to how things got that way.

Keep it up rokun! I'm enjoying this lots even though I'm sad everytime I'm reminded about Risa. >.< Wonder how many more of the girls will appear in the cast for this fic. Looking forward to it~

Offline maiZe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »
OOh!! New story!! I'm excited for this one (though as always, I'm impatiently awaiting new chapters from your other stories - sorry I haven't commented on them for the last few chapters. XD)

Teaser:
OMG.... RISA!!! NYOOOO!!! For all the Miyabi fangirl that's in me (as you've noticed in my comments on your other stories) I've got a load of Risa fangirl in me too, and it's so sad that she's been killed off so early in the story. T__T

Were they just walking down a bad street, or was there a more sinister reason for Risa's death? I mean, really, it's a bit extreme to kill someone for walking through/by an alley... One of the attackers was a boy - if it was all boys, you'd think they'd have "fun" with her instead of killing her... Though I wonder about the dynamics of this city they're in. Risa was in a gang that was keeping the 'hood "clean". So, was she in the "good" gang, and the "bad" gang had some beef to take up with the poor girl who was just walking her sister home? ... Whatever the case, it's so sad that Aika had to watch it, and see her sister die.

Also, Risa was in love with someone? ... Tell who that she loves them? o_O Questions! Mystery! :O

It'll be interesting to see how Aika deals with this (though, really at this point we don't know how Aika really is in the first place, so I'm not sure how obvious any change in her behaviour might be unless we get flashbacks or something. XD), and how Risa's gang will react when they find out.

Chapter 1:
Oooh.. Loads of the youngin's are here. I spot a Miyabi!! ^_^ That makes me happy. She's got that yankii vibe from Circle of Three. I'm loving it. XD ... Hmm, Miya and Chinami? Interesting pairing from you... I immediately pictured that video of Miya and Chinami where Miya called Chinami her girlfriend and Chinami quickly waved it off.

Sorry... I'm heading off topic (Miya does that to me. XD) Anyway...

“They got my sister last night, all right?”

"They". Not just a "my sister was killed last night", but a definite group who needed no explanation for Koharu... intriguing... Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. XD We'll see.

I'm hoping shorter chapters (as you said you'd be breaking them up differently from your other fics) will mean more frequent updates.. XD

Anyway, keep up the great work, and I do hope that writing this fic helps you to get back into your other fics.

It was awesome to meet you (however briefly) at Hello! Party! ^_^ I definitely wasn't expecting it and was actually a bit starstruck 'cause I love your fics so much. XD LOL. .. I talk too much. XD
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:48:02 PM by maize042 »

Offline FaqU

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »
Rokun- totally learning things here, excellent chapter.  Very intriguing as to what Aika will do.

Also last but not least:  YOU KILLED RISA????!!!!!  :shocked

Offline slasha

• Member+
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 05:41:34 PM »
lol@everyone being oblivious and miya starting fights

Miya and Chinami make a good couple. I hope they show up later. Also I can imagine Koha just storming off like that :lol:

Offline GoodEngrish

• ecchi
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 10:02:57 PM »
Ooo, so Aika and the deceased Risa live in the hood. I can't help imagining them in their 3 2 1 breakin out outfits XD
Somehow the tree-named streets seem a lot more peaceful suburbia-esque than violent city.

And it's nice to see a more serious Koharu for once :P I'm looking foward to the next chapter~
I wonder who those three girls are...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »
Chapter 1

Aika Mitsui stared at what filled the assorted plates and bowls on her tray, wondering not for the first time how she was actually expected to eat things like this. Shrugging and supposing it didn’t really matter, she stuck a finger into what she thought was potatoes and licked it clean. As she was still sucking on it she looked up slowly to see a taller girl set her own tray down next to hers and sit across from her.
Read this and immediately thought..."cafeteria" food. :lol:

Koharu bluntly reached over and knocked the bowl Aika was working on to the side of the tray, poking her wrist. “Hey, how long have I known you? I can tell if you’re lying to me as easily as if your hair fell out.”

“They got my sister last night, all right?”
The way that Aika said this...this must not have been the first time that this has happened. Something tells me it's one of those things that's supposed to be "unspoken."

“What?” Koharu asked, her face screwing up slightly. “Got her? Is she all right?”

“She’s dead,” Aika responded in her simple words once again.
I'm actually somewhat surprised that Koharu didn't know. Usually when someone gets beaten to death in an alley the news will somehow find out about it and report it the next morning.

Even more surprising is that Aika still went to school the next day? :O

“Is it me or are they even more spazzed than usual today?” Miyabi said, leaning over to wave a hand in front of Aika’s face.

“Leave off, Natsuyaki,” Koharu said through a mouthful of food.

“Oh yeah?” the other responded, her voice taking on a sardonic warning tone. “You wanna make me?”
Oooooooooooooooooo they're gonna feel like such tools when they find out the truth.

“Careful, Miya,” Chinami giggled, tugging at the other’s arm. “Don’t want you to start a fight and get spanked only halfway through the day.” Then the girl leaned in and whispered in the other’s ear. “That’s my job for later…” Despite her attempted detachment, Aika choked on her food upon hearing that, and noticed Miyabi color slightly as well. Likely no one but the two of them heard what Chinami had said.
WTF...ChinaMiya?
:mon spit:

It used to be in this part of the City that girls would have kids young and maybe eventually marry the father of the third or fourth. Aika’s own mother, in fact, had her sister when she was sixteen, and in truth Aika and Risa were only half-sisters since, like many siblings around here, they had different fathers. Due to a cultural technicality, it also resulted in different family names, Risa’s happening to have been Niigaki.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....okay, okay, okay...definitely getting a better idea of "where" (as in "what side of the tracks") they are now.

There were many things about her life her sister hadn’t told her… including why last night had to happen.
One way or the other, one can't help but get the feeling that Aika's going to find out.

She didn’t glance in Miyabi’s direction; instead, her eye was caught by three girls passing by their table and giggling to each other. All three were in Koharu’s year, and the two had run into them from time to time. The tall one shared some of Koharu’s classes, and so they particularly knew each other relatively well.

They didn’t do much more than glance over at the six younger girls at the table though, one of the shorter ones making eye contact with Aika and continuing to giggle. Aika felt herself flush, although it wasn’t completely due to the giggling. She hid it by burying her face back into her bowl, which was now nearly empty.

“Look at the three of them,” Sayaka complained, watching as they left. “Acting like they’re all big shot.”

“They’re third years,” Chinami replied simply. “Now they’re upperclassmen they’re simply taking advantage of their—”

“…assholeness…” Miyabi interrupted.

“…age.” Chinami finished, frowning at her girlfriend.
Ah yes, the high school clique.

Boy do they suck.

When she’d barely finished, Koharu suddenly jumped up from her chair, rattling her tray when she slammed her hands on the table. “That’s enough!” she almost yelled. “You guys are all stupid, fighting like this and just being rude all the time! Can’t you give it a break for even just one day?!”

“Koharu-chan…” Aika whined softly, looking up at her friend and pleading with her to sit back down.

“What’s the matter with you?” Miyabi asked in disbelief. Koharu was a little… over-energetic… at times, but rarely just blew up so seriously like this. The two first years were actually looking a bit scared, and Aika saw them cling to each others’ arms.

“We’re always like this,” Chinami protested in a less caustic voice than her girlfriend. “Why’s today so special?”

Koharu didn’t say anything in response, instead just glaring down at Aika, who was trying to make herself as small as possible, before harrumphing and stalking off, leaving her lunch which miraculously she managed to eat most of while everyone was talking. Aika rolled her eyes across her own barely eaten food before she noticed everyone was staring at her again.

“What’s her deal?” Miyabi griped as she turned to look after the runaway.
In their defense, the others girls aren't mind-readers, and like how Koharu was a little while ago, they're completely clueless about what happened and have no real reason to not go about their normal routine.  Sure, given the situation, they might not currently be the that sensitive/supportive, but when they don't know...how are they supposed to be?

“What’s going on, Aika-chan?” Chinami asked in a soothing voice. “First you’ve been so quiet, and then she blows her top and marches off like that. Something must have happened.”

Aika stared into her bowl again. She didn’t want to talk about it, but she also didn’t want to have this drag on again either, even like it had with Koharu.

“My sister’s dead, okay?” she said, a bit curtly, and lifted her almost untouched bowl of rice before walking off as well, not looking back into the stunned silence she left behind.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now they know.  :(

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 02:57:54 AM »
Wow~ This story is so....different. H!P in the ghetto~ XD And I love it. :P
Pretty interesting, all their interactions as well as the little tidbits about the culture of the area that they live in. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering about who exactly "they" are. Guys, I'm pretty sure but other than that....not so sure. Oh yeah, Chinami x Miya= :inlove: Hehe~

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 04:27:18 AM »
Teaser hooked me, and now I'm definitely loving it. MiyaChii?! I love it, but it's rare to see nowadays. XD *sigh* Group dynamics didn't work so well when Koha found out about Aika's "problem". I still can't believe that Aika still went to school the next day! >< And now the whole group knows and... gaaaaah. T__T

*sits and waits for next chapter* :D

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »
Hmm, a lot going on in this chapter, in a sense. Starting to piece together how this world works.

Though, a few more chapters would help with that, hint hint nudge nudge wink wink.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Beat Crusaders - Imagine