JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Iroppoi Jirettai

Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 17059 times)

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Dragon Age: Origins
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »

-------------------

Quote from: Wikipedia - Plot
BioWare have described Dragon Age as being a "dark heroic fantasy" story that will be told on an epic scale with mature themes.[29]

The player begins his or her journey from in one of the six origin stories which serve as an introductory point for the players and present the world from their personal point of view. The origin story chosen (the choices being Human Noble, Human/Elf Mage (dwarves having an immunity to magic), Dalish Elf, City Elf, Dwarf Commoner and Dwarf Noble) determines who the character is and how NPCs react to the player. Elves, for example, are often viewed as second class citizens.[29] The developers have cited 'realistic' fantasy fiction such as George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and fantasy paintings by artists such as Frank Frazetta as inspiration for the game.[30]

Quote from: Official Website - Toolset
The Dragon Age™ Toolset puts the power of the game developer in the palm of your hands. The Dragon Age Toolset will allow you to produce your own content including dungeons crawls , full-length campaigns, and even cut-scenes you can share with friends and the BioWare community.
  -- Located @ http://dragonage.bioware.com/toolset/ or http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/06/download-dragon-age-origins-toolset/

Reviews:
PC reviews @ Metacritic
PS3 reviews @ Metacritic
360 reviews @ Metacritic

--

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:03:44 AM by Amplifier »

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »
I finished it in about 50 hours. It's a good game. Completely unbalanced tho, not just the difficulty of enemies, but between classes as well, keep that in mind when you play and make sure you save OFTEN.

I Heard a rumor they patched it to make it easier too? Shouldn't they start with addressing the unbalance issues?

A pro tip: Make sure you have 2 mages in your group. Mages are heavily overbalanced compared to the other classes. 1-2 tanks, or a tank and a rogue with 2 mages should be pretty perfect.
[/url]

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »
do u guys know if its ok to dl the patches if u have the "illegal" copy?

and sev i think the patch fixes the unbalance as well.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
do u guys know if its ok to dl the patches if u have the "illegal" copy?

and sev i think the patch fixes the unbalance as well.

http://www.rlslog.net/dragon-age-origins-update-1-01-vitality/

Looks like it :cow:

Offline hydeo1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »
if someone play on pc

how much of hd usage instaled?

Offline NAzu

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:24:12 PM »
About 15GB. Btw, tried to install the patch and it didnt work. Now re-installing and patching it with the Vitality patch.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 03:13:17 AM »
the patch worked for me.

do u guys know what key u press to fastforward the conversation? it takes up so long -___- and i read the subs faster anyway

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
You can on Xbox, ionno about PC but I'm sure there is one.

The patch didn't address the issues with the whole Mage Age thing. Basically just made the game easier:

Code: [Select]
# - made Easy difficulty easier
# - slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty

However, from what I know the patch certainly takes it in the right direction. Someone apply and report if they experience any difference? Moog?
[/url]

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
i played in the normal difficulty. but yea i saw some improvements, my guys wont get assfucked easily when facing against a  decent sized mob (3 melees 3 archers) now its just one person just dies in my own party instead of all 4  :lol:

oh yea i dont think they gonna fix the mage stuff. i read it somewhere the developer said they are satisfied with the mage's thing. i guess they just gonna balance out the other classes
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:54:47 PM by Mugen »

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 06:04:35 AM »

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:51:36 AM »
http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/10/dragon-age-origins-dev-diary-brings-forth-gruesome-combat/

BioWare goes in-depth on the combat system of Dragon Age: Origins. Not only does it offer the breadth of control players need to tactically position and use their characters. Combat also works to help define the game as a visceral, dark and mature fantasy role-playing game.

Offline NAzu

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »
Finished the game. Some notes:

Played the game on easy difficult level with patched game. Some battles were bit challenging even on easy, atleast for me. The final battle and the Denerim battles were too easy so maybe I should have raised the difficulty to normal.

The new D&D rules allow mage to wear armor and use swords and other weapons. Combine that to specialization class "Arcane Warrior" and you have a pretty damn good character (..I would think). In general the rules are so different compared to the old rules that were used in Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale that I wouldn't say DA is a succesor to the BG. It's similar to how Bioshock was a 'spiritual' succesor to System Shock. Different games all together but they share some small parts.

Can Dragon Age compare to Baldurs Gate? My opinion is no. I like the old rules better, there's clear differences between the character classes and the npc's were better.

All in all good game but I think Bioware could have done better.

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 12:27:53 PM »
Nice way too put it Nazu. I think the patch for PC might be good, coz the final boss on Normal on the Xbox wasnt even possible. I had to do it on "Casual". However there's a trick.. Read below.

End battle spoiler:
[bgcolor=black]Ionno if this always works, but using the huge mounted crossbow things, you can time the shots and make the Archdeamon freeze, stopping it from shooting those dark thingies at you. Until it completely is out of life. Just make sure you kill all the minions or carry around a shitload of potions. My entire squad was dead so I had to do this on my own, but once you got the hang of it it was as easy as stealing candy from a kid in a diaper.[/color]
[/url]

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
30 minutes into the game on PC.

Best. Fucking. Soundtrack. Ever.

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 01:20:21 AM »
I'm about 6 hours into the game. WOW. Epic adventure. I'd go as far as saying I'm loving it better than FF8!

Epic story choices.

My character(center) with another female character, and 2 canadians.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:24:03 AM by meowchi »

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 02:40:33 AM »
lol, I was wondering where meow went.

Between this and RE5 PC it all makes sense XD

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »
I got the game, starting as a mage, and loved it.
But somehow I stopped playing it  :?

You know when you feel like you should finish at least one game before jumping into the next ? I'm near the end for Persona 4, so maybe next month I'll start DA.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 01:34:13 PM »

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »
Doesn't actually tell you much about the game though - aside from being generic fantasy.

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 08:01:20 PM »
Given the time I'm so maging the shit outta playthrough 2. I'll be unstoppable!
[/url]

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Iroppoi Jirettai