JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ANGERME - Ase Chi Te Karuna Baru

Author Topic: The Obscure Band/Artist Thread  (Read 424797 times)

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
Re: The Obscure Band/Artist Thread
« Reply #320 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:01 AM »
Thanks for the Tenniscoats, I was actually looking for their stuff a while back.

since we're in the natsumen mood recently, can I request some boat? after all these years, still don't have anything of theirs.

I had a couple of albums up:

Listening Suicidal + Soul, Thrash, Train + Roro
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:41:35 PM by Stryfe »

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #321 on: September 03, 2008, 11:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the Tenniscoats, I was actually looking for their stuff a while back.

I actually have some Tenniscoats if you're still looking.

Fruits Lee & Miscellaneous Compilation tracks <-- the compilation tracks include a boat version of "Pills to Kill Ma August" and an 8 minute long cover of "We Are the World."

I used to have that Boat/Seameal split too but the quality of the rip was so terrible I deleted it. It was like listening to old time radio.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #322 on: September 04, 2008, 12:49:27 AM »
I actually have some Tenniscoats if you're still looking.

Sure... I think I noticed them on the Noble Records site and searched for them briefly. I haven't had a chance to actually listen to them much at all yet but the little I heard via myspace etc sounded interesting.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #323 on: September 04, 2008, 05:08:20 AM »
thanks for the uploads!

Offline cptnsociopath

« Reply #324 on: September 04, 2008, 10:17:56 PM »
oh shit should be rockin, thanks iacus and other guy

pleasure ;)

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #325 on: September 05, 2008, 12:42:27 AM »
pleasure ;)

Heh, hope you don't mind me jacking your link.

After giving it a quick listen the new tenniscoats + secai doesn't seem as interesting as some of their earlier works.

Totemo Aimasho
The theme of Tenniscoats

More to come.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #326 on: September 05, 2008, 03:41:20 AM »
Thanks for all the enjoyable shit.

avengers in sci-fi put out something,
http://www.mediafire.com/?qihotbsv4ht

New album also,

2nd album "SCIENCE ROCK" 2008.11.5 on sale
including 11 songs / HKP-018 / \2,500 (TAX-IN)

1. Homosapiens Experience (Save Our Rock Episode.1)
2. Save Our Rock
3. Ibiza Sunset
4. Sci-Fi Age Riot
5. Starmine Sister
6. Heartbeat Satellite (S.O.S From Sci-Fi Planet .A)
7. Space Diamond (S.O.S From Sci-Fi Planet .B)
8. Minneapolis
9. Beats For Jealous Pluto
10. Science Action
11. Itsuka_Mata_Ucyu_No_Dokoka_De.

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #327 on: September 05, 2008, 06:30:34 AM »
Tan-Tan therapy
We Are Everyone

And that's everything I have from the Tenniscoats. That's not everything they've put out though.

Offline doubledown11

« Reply #328 on: September 05, 2008, 10:40:51 AM »
thanks for avengers ypop.. i mean boykun.

I mentioned that Mariko Goto shaved her head a couple weeks ago. Here's a photo from Midori's website which was updated yesterday.

One-man show Oct 14 at tiny live-house Pipe69 in Osaka. hell yeah!! (assuming my connections can get me tix. otherwise i'll have to catch them again in Nagoya Quattro where Mari-chan jumped from the ceiling and almost landed on top of me)

Massive post-rock/emo/hardcore/grind ORGY in Yamagata Sept 13,14 called Do It 2008. 
http://doit.xxv.jp/band.html#              (you can click on each band for profiles)
I can't make it but maybe Ayabie can. (note: tix for Sept 14 are already sold out).
Some of the bigger name bands = Qomolangma Tomato, Sokabe Keichi Band, Lite, Ogre You Streakinthesky, the telephones, Mass Ferment,  toe, Shonen Knife, De De Mouse, miaou
I guess it's a stretch to call these performers "bigger name bands" but they are compared to the 29 obscure bands they put on this promo FES sampler I have.

One band i wish that was included on the promo CD is oak.
Kaoru Miura (low-end)
yoko (skins)
Yuriko Miura (axe)

note: the Youtube clip is from a performance last July (bass/drums only) before Yuriko joined and Yoko became the new drummer.

http://www.myspace.com/oakoakoak
http://www.oak-net.jp/

I definitely have to catch this band live ASAP. 

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:52:20 AM by doubledown11 »

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #329 on: September 05, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
That's one fuckawesome lineup right there. Doubt I'll be able to go though, since it's in Yamagata.

By the way, how's the new Presence of soul and Uhnellys?

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #330 on: September 05, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »
I'm synonymous with asshole now?

Looks like a great new festival. Hopes it becomes annual. But wtf @ neko hiroshi.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #331 on: September 05, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
nice ups iacus and boy

and i had no idea doubledown held such feelings about sits lol. festival sounds pretty boss though... if you get to check it out, take vid of de de mouse. that dude is pretty sick, i wanna check him out live.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline doubledown11

« Reply #332 on: September 05, 2008, 12:16:49 PM »
That's one fuckawesome lineup right there. Doubt I'll be able to go though, since it's in Yamagata.

By the way, how's the new Presence of soul and Uhnellys?

Presence of Soul "Blinds" is  post-rock in the vein of Mono, Envy (recent) with female vox.   I guess they sound a little bit like miimi but with better musicianship. The music on the CD as a whole  is alot better than what they chose for sampling on their Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/presenceofsoul  
Props on recognizing uhnellys' CD!  I like the CD but it's definitely an acquired taste.  I used to be a huge hip hop head into indie/undeground acts like Dynospectrum, Binary Star, J-Zone etc.  Aside from music released by the likes of  DJ/producers like Nujabes and Deckstream, the hip hop scene in Japan is kinda ASS.  That's why it was refreshing to pick up a CD like "Mawaru" that understands what indie hip hop is all about. And the funny thing is uhnellys isn't really even a hip hop act... at least not in the conventional sense. Apparently they have ties to Tha Blue Herb.  The tracks with guest emcee SHAD are my favorites. Especially the "Exile" remix.  The album would be comparable to listening to a Roots CD... i guess.

What's with all the female drummers coming out of the woodwork (eg oak, PHEWWHOO, Panicsmile...)
Too bad MASS DRE's female ex-drummer left. She was pretty dope.

P.S. Ayabie, the rega CD cut off in the bottom right corner is different from the one you upped. Though it only has 2 songs, one of them being a live version of Mexico.
If you can guess the CD in the bottom left corner I'll be REALLY impressed. (hint: J-indie band with a female singer.... that narrows it down to... 1-2 million bands. lol)

edit: hahaha. sorry steakinthesky. i was just playing around. just getting back for some of the backhanded (though benign) disses you've flung my way.  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:19:59 PM by doubledown11 »

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #333 on: September 05, 2008, 03:35:22 PM »
Thanks for the input. I've been pondering whether to purchase Mawaru or not, so I'd recognize the cover from miles away. I must say I have no idea about the remaining CD, though, despite the helpful tip... :lol:

Offline squiggle

« Reply #334 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »
I guess it's a stretch to call these performers "bigger name bands" but they are compared to the 29 obscure bands they put on this promo FES sampler I have.

Ohh, what's the story on that sampler?! "29 obscure bands" makes it sound pretty interesting. When/if you get a chance, would you mind upping it? Thanks! xx

Offline squiggle

« Reply #335 on: September 05, 2008, 08:35:43 PM »
Also does anyone have anything by or (know anything about) the band Squimaoto? It's my understanding that they have one album out but it it seems impossible to even buy it (which is what I want to do) outside of japan.

I don't have their album (haven't been able to find/order it either), but I have 2 squimaoto releases that I can upload for you. I'll edit this post when they're up.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #336 on: September 07, 2008, 03:25:38 PM »
Thanks for all the Tenniscoats, iacus.

clione-index
website / myspace

clione-index is a post-rock/shoegaze trio from Osaka. They remind me a little of a mellower, shoegazey version of Sequence Pulse or something like that. Mono-esque guitars, lots of echo.

downloads:

clione-index - One Thing Leads to Another (1st mini-album) (2006.08.01)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:40:51 PM by Stryfe »

Offline placidian

« Reply #337 on: September 08, 2008, 06:27:17 AM »
This is a newbie. i just wanted to thank moderator  tenkei,  for her Quinka, with a Yawn post from April.  I just discovered it from a Google search, and joined your forum because of it, yay! =)

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #338 on: September 08, 2008, 07:23:01 AM »
This is a newbie. i just wanted to thank moderator  tenkei,  for his Quinka, with a Yawn post from April.  I just discovered it from a Google search, and joined your forum because of it, yay! =)

fixed.

and welcome! hopefully you can contribute to the forum as well!

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline doubledown11

« Reply #339 on: September 08, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »
There's such a thing as biting... and then there's outright  cannibalism.

I thought the band "baku" that boykun mentioned was borrowing a bit too heavily from Clammbon (without even acknowledging them as an influence).  They're still an interesting band however and i wouldn't mind looking around for baku's works and seeing them perform live.

And huge thanks to Stryfe for upping clione-index.
Definitely reminds me of Mono although the crescendo to an earsplitting apex is not as epic in their songs.  I actually like how they're more chill and less pretentious sounding.  Despite the huge influence in sound there's just enough contrast in style to obviate writing them off as suffering purely from Mono-itis.

Alright, i guess  I should upload something myself.
Here's the promo sampler for the Yamagata Do It 2008 FES
You leechers better be thankful since the CD came sans tags and I had to input all the data from scratch.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ehk1qwhyulw
There are a few familiar names: LITE, toddle, Limited Express(has gone?) , nhhmbase, miaou, PANIC SMILE, the SHUWA
Most of the bands are very obscure and a lot of them are awful but there are a few decent ones in the mix.
I liked BED since they sound like a J-version of Fugazi. moool was alright. Otherwise its rather slim pickings unless you like grind and screamo. I've seen Discharming man and Yomoya perform before and have some of their eps. They could have chosen better songs to represent them on the sampler IMO.

Next is mainly for Ayabie's benefit, just in case he didn't buy the CD yet:
PHEW CLAP WHOO FUNK by PHEWHOO

1. Intro
2. SUSTAIN U
3. METROPP
4. Nastu-Jill
5. Puzzle
6. 7beat
7. De La Moon
8. SURRENDER

http://www.mediafire.com/?b5kwlwrz5az

http://www.myspace.com/phewwhoo
http://phewwhoo.saloon.jp/web/

The studio album is nice enough but it's almost robotic in sound.  They seem like a band that is much better appreciated live.
I know I'd probably be staring at the female drummer the whole time. :lol:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:29:21 PM by doubledown11 »

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ANGERME - Ase Chi Te Karuna Baru