JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfect Piano Lesson - Two Hundred And Forty One Mondays

Author Topic: Afro Samurai  (Read 9482 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Afro Samurai
« on: July 23, 2006, 09:15:29 PM »

Afro Samurai is the story of a Black samurai in a futuristic yet feudal Japan who is on a mission to avenge the wrongful death of his father. Afro is a warrior who travels a solitary path encountering a myriad of enemies, friends, and challenges beyond imagination.

http://www.afrosamurai.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Samurai

Comic-Con 2006: Afro Samurai

July 22, 2006 - Coming at the end of fall on Spike TV, is Okazaki Takahashi's Afro Samurai. If you have been on the Television site recently you noticed that we have been displaying exclusive character biographies, along with artwork by Okazaki. These characters are just one of the many parts that go into making a television program at the scale that Afro Samurai is being made. The panel at Comic-Con today helped us find out more about what makes this show so great.

To kick start things off, we were shown the trailer for the show. If you are a fan of anime, even in the slightest bit, you should be rabid with anticipation for the uncensored action. Looking similar to Ninja Scroll, Afro's art style looks to be inspired by other animated programs like Trigun and The Boondocks, but believe us when we say that none of these shows have anything on what you see in this trailer. The general flow of the clip went from samurai/old west stand-offs with smoking, to hacking/slashing with blood. I would give away the rest of the trailer, but it has come to my attention that we will be showing the trailer on our site on Monday. So sit and salivate, while meditating on a line uttered by Ninja Ninja (Samuel L. Jackson - who also voices the lead role of Afro Samurai) "G**damn, mother f***er!"

Another major bit of news that was shed, was that Afro Samurai plans on expanding and crossing new lines. Originally starting as a mini-series for Spike TV, Afro will then work its way onto DVD with new uncensored content - we are promised buckets of blood, sex and nudity in the additional 3 minutes to each episode on the DVD home release. When questioned later if he was just going to leave it as a five episode miniseries, Okazaki responded saying that Afro Samurai has a massive timeline, and the current story is only a sliver on that line. But they aren't stopping with television, as next year they are planning on releasing a 300 page graphic novel with art from Okazaki, and a videogame being published by Namco tentatively slated for October of next year for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. In addition to all of this, there are also plans for a live action version of Afro Samurai in the form of a major motion picture, starring the voice of Afro Samurai: Samuel L. Jackson (I wonder who they will have play Ninja Ninja since Jackson voices his character as well?). With all this cross promotion, it seems that Afro is around to stay - they will be around for 1000 years if Okazaki has anything to say about it.

Another major part of the panel was the music for the show. When deciding who would be best for the program, Okazaki decided to go with the artist who helped with such films as Kill Bill and Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - the Wu-Tang Clan's RZA. Surprisingly articulate, and very versed on the art of music, RZA had the audience eating up everything he said - making you totally forget that Samuel L. Jackson was at another panel on the other side of the convention center. When asked to describe the sound that he was going for with Afro Samurai, RZA explained that soul music was taken over by rock and roll, and rock and roll was taken over by hip hop, and he wanted to get the feel of all three meshing together within the show. If the trailer shown was any indication, the tone and feel of the music is dead-on for the look of Afro. Later on RZA was questioned as to whether he had plans for an Afro Samurai Soundtrack, he responded by saying that there is definitely a recording in the works, to which he would like to get some big names to help out - throwing out Big Daddy Kane as one of the names in the mix.

From the looks of it, this panel, if nothing, showed that Spike TV is dedicated to making the show work. With approximately one million dollars vested per episode, it is clear to see what all the fuss is about. With a strong voice-acting cast, perfect music, a creator who has been dreaming of the world of Afro Samurai for about a decade, and the studios backing them up, Afro is shaping up to be one of the must see shows for any fan of television - anime or not.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/720/720468p1.html

Holy shit! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Afro Samurai is gonna be the coolest thing ever! Seriously it has Samuel L. Jackson playing a samurai and RZA is producing the soundtrack. I can't wait!

Offline tivx

• Beauty To My Ai's
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:55:22 AM »
whoa this show seems badass. looking forward to it :yep:

R.I.P. Kyle, already missing you man.........

Offline smoothee

• old school lovin'
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:01:43 AM »
looks pretty awesome :)

~ the official mikitty thread ~ the A.M.E [aya matsuura eden] ~ G.A.M official thread ~

~ join the wonky love crew ~ help us pimp up tanakacchi here ~

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Afro Samurai
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 10:03:27 AM »
I wonder if the Boondocks' Bushido Brown character is inspired by something like this?
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline tivx

• Beauty To My Ai's
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:24:21 PM »
trailer on youtube

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Afro Samurai
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:38:52 PM »
OH MAN!! That was off the chain! It just sent chills up my spine.  It was like watching GZA's Liquid Swords album come to life!!

RZA and Sam Jackson, life is good 8)

Offline tivx

• Beauty To My Ai's
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:44:36 PM »
Werd....
the fighting scenes looks so sweet, and he kept his cool which make it badass

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 10:57:06 PM »
That trailer is looking pretty sweet. I'm liking the art style going on. Can't wait. :lol:

Offline DoubleHead Morbid

• Tragedy During Maintenance
Afro Samurai
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 04:13:11 AM »
I can definetly see myself getting behind this. It looks too good.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 07:04:46 PM »
Damn, trailer looks badass like woah. Looking forward to seeing this.

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 07:45:14 PM »
They should throw in some samurai shamploo characters as special guests :D
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Afro Samurai
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 10:17:54 AM »
The first episode is already available for North American peeps:
http://www.spiketv.com/mods/afro/player/index.jhtml

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 10:56:47 AM »
Omfg that's awesome.  Can't wait to see some more of it.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Afro Samurai
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 01:37:24 PM »
Quote from: Masa;272739
The first episode is already available for North American peeps:
http://www.spiketv.com/mods/afro/player/index.jhtml

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!

Y'all can't view that site in Europe - that's fucked up. WMV ver huh. wonder how you can copy this stream...meh, it's all protected.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 04:19:44 PM »
That was very sweet indeed, even if it did have Eddie Murphy previews.

And as for that whole "only for US and Canada" crap, punched in a Canadian proxy and was good to go.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline Kei

• It's legal in MY country!
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »
Is it me or does the audio drop out every few seconds?
赤い瞳は ソドムの街で
美しい女を 採集する
針で止めた 蝶や蛾の様に
動けないおまえは 俺の物

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 05:23:28 PM »
Quote from: Kei;276539
Is it me or does the audio drop out every few seconds?
Think it's just you bud, because just checked again, and don't have any drop outs at all. And I kept the original audio (wma) when I encoded it from wmv to avi.

Offline NAzu

• ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 12:34:20 AM »
Hell yeah! Seems like a very good serie and with Samuel L. Jackson as a voice actor it can't be bad :D

Offline Loopy

• The Superior
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Afro Samurai
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 01:20:11 AM »
This show looks like shit.  Art and music are superb and fitting for the setting and stuff but the idea itself seems like its going too far to try and be unique to the point maybe where the idea itself will be the show's only redeeming factor.  I guess that's a bit too harsh, considering that even the most out there idea can be good if executed correctly and I'm still looking forward to what this can become and I haven't seen an episode yet, but I'm honestly not seeing much here except for style.  

The trailer just had this guy going on all types of badass moves but what else is there?  I'm not a style over substance person which is likely why I abhorred Bebop but whatever.  The idea of any anime being on Spike TV though pisses the hell outta me.

We shall see how this turns out...

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfect Piano Lesson - Two Hundred And Forty One Mondays