JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Jude - Wild Baby

Author Topic: The Replacements reunite  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
The Replacements reunite
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:51:47 AM »
I caught this story on a Japanese Mixi site, of all places.

Interesting project although I wish they replaced "Here Comes A Regular" with "Little Mascara."

US indie legends reunite
The Replacements back after 16 years

US indie legends The Replacements have reformed to record new songs for a forthcoming Best Of compilation.

Frontman Paul Westerberg, guitarist Tommy Stinson and drummer Chris Mars reunited to put together 'Message To The Boys' and 'Pool & Dive', their first new tracks in 16 years. They will appear on 'Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements', out June 13.

Session drummer Josh Freese was behind the kit for the new recordings, the first since the 1990 album 'All Shook Down'.

Mars, who in recent years has foregone music for an art career, contributed backing vocals. The songs were written by Westerberg and were recorded at the producer Ed Ackerson's Flowers studio in Minneapolis, reports Billboard. It's as yet unclear as to whether a full reunion will take place.

Meanwhile, the band's long-awaited box set is still in the planning stages and will not be out until 2007 at the earliest. The label putting out this compilation, Rhino, is also working on expanded editions of The Replacements' studio albums.

The tracklisting for the compilation is:

'Takin' A Ride'
'Shiftless When Idle'
'Kids Don't Follow'
'Color Me Impressed'
'Within Your Reach'
'I Will Dare'
'Answering Machine'
'Unsatisfied'
'Here Comes A Regular'
'Kiss Me On The Bus'
'Bastards of Young'
'Left of the Dial'
'Alex Chilton'
'Skyway'
'Can't Hardly Wait'
'Achin' To Be'
'I'll Be You'
'Merry Go Round'
'Message to the Boys'
'Pool & Dive'

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Replacements reunite
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:09:28 AM »
LOL. I heard this on The Jim Rome Show. I have never heard their music but Rome is like obsessed with them.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
The Replacements reunite
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:09:58 AM »
Even George Wendt from "Cheers" was a big fan back in the day.

The Replacements started out as typical punks, then turned to very melodic power pop.  It's no mistake that the high school in "Heathers" was named Westerberg High: they were Winona Ryder's fave band.

I got all their albums from their Warner/Sire catalog and a couple from the Twin Tone days.  Dunno if I'll plunk down the ca$h for "upgrades."

Offline jimmy

• I'm not a cat
  • ecchi
  • Member+
The Replacements reunite
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 02:35:37 PM »
They're a pretty decent band, so this is good news. I've only got "Let It Be" by them so I should probably check out more. These reunions are usually a waste of time though unless you're going to see them live, I'm still waiting for new songs to come from the Pixies reunion :(

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Replacements reunite
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:04:04 AM »
The new single will be debuted on The Jim Rome Show Thursday, featuring interview with band members "Tommy and Paul"

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
The Replacements reunite
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 12:45:51 AM »
Jim Rome?!!  HUH?  He's a Mats fan?

Is he still on ESPN?

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Replacements reunite
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »
He's hardcore. Always talks about how he made an ass of himself backstage at a concert. Tommy didn't show up, went "rockstar" on him lol. They even had like "click the link on his website and get 4 bucks off the album"

Yep. on ESPN but this is his radio show on another company.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
The Replacements reunite
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 01:33:34 AM »
Quote from: daigong
He's hardcore. Always talks about how he made an ass of himself backstage at a concert. Tommy didn't show up, went "rockstar" on him lol.

Amazing.  I had no idea.  I don't follow Rome so I'm amazed when any mainstream media figure is a fan of a group like the Replacements.  All I know about Rome is the football player who had a cow on his TV show and tipped over the table.

Checked Rome's website and, sadly, his radio archive is a paid one.  Can't find any torrents online and the only clip I was able to find was on, of all things, a Mixi group.  Yes, the Placemats have fans in Japan too.

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Jude - Wild Baby