JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Sexy Boy ~Soyokaze ni Yorisotte~

Author Topic: Asian-American Girls More Likely to Commit Suicide  (Read 2977 times)

Offline nop

• Member+
Re: Asian-American Girls More Likely to Commit Suicide
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:42:45 AM »
She wants to blame it on stress and cultural factor.  Go do some research for real reason, it could be different between, Communist China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand.  Or differences among first generation immigrant, second generation, diet, socio-economics.  Without further studies, we cannot form public opinion, and social policy.

Offline kiikoi

• LOL!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:02:27 AM »
lol i remember suicide club in that news

Offline sugar

• Clown Mask
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I like Sailor Moon and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:05:10 AM »
Thats really sad. No one should have to take their own life.

Offline schol3s

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:43:32 AM »
this is kind of sad news to read....

Offline Marks Spencer

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »
Well she has raised some good points ... I'm sure that the superior asian american stereotype must be hard to live up to...I wonder who's really responsible though, sounds like the parents to me.

Offline kwanleekwan

• Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 03:16:10 PM »
any similar finding on men?

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 03:44:29 PM »
Well she has raised some good points ... I'm sure that the superior asian american stereotype must be hard to live up to...I wonder who's really responsible though, sounds like the parents to me.

I knew Jewish kids who run into the same problem and burn out.

The article suggests that men channel the same emotions into aggression instead of suicide.

Offline vicmu

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »
methinks it's definitely parental pressure.

Offline marktobias

• TOISU!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 08:48:10 PM »
Thanks, that was an interesting read. I wasn't really aware of this parental pressure issue.

Offline shimako

• Nyah~ x3
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »
i think parents do play a major factor  :-\ i know mine did  >:(

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:18 AM »
i kinda understand about this situation.  even though i'm a guy, i have 4 sisters and my parents are usually more strict with them then they do with me.  As Asian, my parents wants us to behave in a certain way, do well in school and work. and always be like this and that...
it probably be easier to follow those rules and/or guidelines or lifestyles if we were to live in Asia, where most people act like that. but when parents try to teach their way in a different place where another culture (American culture) flourish, then it's harder to keep our ways without conflicting with the american one. 
i mean we asian have to live with the lifestyle that's similar to those in Asia, but the since we are the minority in America, where the American way is dominant, and with the difference between our culture and the american culture, it's hard for our way to be accepted or survive cuz as teenager, we have more peer pressure and the americans probably don't understand our way to accept us, so it puts more pressure on us.
Also... alot have change over these last 20-30 years, even more, and our parents tend to stay the same as they were taught and lived and doesn't really accept the new modern way that we do things and live in this here 21st Century time.  and if our parents doesn't want to change or just merely doesn't understand or accept the modern way, then they sometimes don't want us to change like that as well and make us stick to their lifestyle, and that's adds alot more pressure on us. 

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 12:47:01 AM »
Social pressure(not only parents but also other family members and friends) play a major part in the asian-american being "smart" thing. My parents are always comparing me with other asian/filipino people my age. There's also pressure about careers and even dating(my mom is alway telling me what kind of girls to date. Even if I think the girl is hot, my mom telling me I should go out with her is a big turn-off lol). And I think it's also true that these pressures are actually harder on the females. The parents I know almost always put more pressure on the girls, but they're also spoiled a lot more :P

I know not all asian-americans and not only asian-americans are like this though.

@ nop: it doesn't seem like she's trying to blame suicide on stress and cultural pressure, she's looking for answers and ways to prevent it from happening to others. She's obviously done lots of research on the subject. That article probably barely scratches the surface of what she has studied.

Offline conannd

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • loves 510
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »
hmmm... gurls more fragile than man......no wonder that's happen....

Offline Sexykago

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 01:55:18 AM »
Hmmm...this is odd. I've always heard that men were more likely to commit suicide than women.

Offline jaasai

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 06:31:44 AM »
maybe you heard it wrong because I remember reading an study that guys were more likely to succeed in committing suicide whereas girls are more likely to fail at it. Kind of funny if you're messed up like me.

Offline Sexykago

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 07:22:51 AM »
remember reading an study that guys were more likely to succeed in committing suicide whereas girls are more likely to fail at it. Kind of funny if you're messed up like me.
Yep. I remember that too. But that's the reason for the higher amount of suicide among men. Women attempt, men succeed.
I guess it's inverted with Asians Americans.

Offline Pinksheep

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »
I feel so sorry for those girls... the pressure they get must be extreme...  :( They should relly get some help  :(

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Sexy Boy ~Soyokaze ni Yorisotte~