JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kimura Kaela - D.T.S

Author Topic: Small Dogs  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Small Dogs
« on: March 27, 2008, 05:13:32 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a dog when I move to Toronto in August. I want a small dog that will be happy in my apartment and can cope when I'm at work all day. The other thing I'm looking for is a dog that doesn't shed too much and isn't bad on allergies. It's also a reasonable cold climate too.

Currently I'm considering Chihuahua, West Highland White Terrier, Shih Tzu, Powderpuff Chinese Crested or Papillon. Any other suggestions? Comments or experiences with these breeds?

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: Small Dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 05:37:53 PM »
A Welsh(or Pembroke) Corgi is a great dog breed, I really want to own one some day. Shih Tzu's are nice too.  My good friend owns two (one Shih Tzu that she had before was put two sleep). Anways, the Shih Tzu was pretty friendly, a nice companion, and never got rowdy (unless someone knocked on the door or somehing

Corgi

"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, mode107. I'll add Corgis to the list to look into.

I'm glad to hear your comments about Shih Tzus. They're gorgeous - they say that humans grow to look like their pets, so choosing well is important. ;)

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »
I would second the Shih Tzu.

I've never had anything but big dogs(Labs, the perfect dog ;)) but my good friend has a Shih Tzu thats adorable. She even got it registered as a therapy dog. I think they are considered pretty good for people with allergies and don't shed much. They don't take much grooming if you keep the coat short but if you let it grow then it takes some brushing. They would be fine in an apartment and be alright while you work but they do seem to crave attention more than some other breeds.

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:19:46 AM »
Asmo, you can think about Maltese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_%28dog%29
Bichon Fris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bichon_Fris%C3%A9
Mini Schnauzer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_Schnauzer
Mini Pinscher
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_Pinscher

you can also look into some spaniel dogs, or JRT if you are interested in high energy dog.

Since you are living in an apartment, you may want to avoid Hound group dogs as they tend to get quite vocal and may disturb your neighbours if they don't like noise.

Last thing is remember to spay/neuter your dog, microchip, and register your dog after you got one.
:D
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 03:05:31 AM »
The wife's family have had 3 breeds of small dogs, Shih Tzu, Toy Poodle and currently have 4 Chihuahuas (had 5, but Ciel-kun died last week).

Ciel-kun.. :cry:

Wife said the best personality out of those 3 would be the Shih Tzu, since they are kinda laid-backed, but they also shed the most hair. So she recommends Toy Poodles as they are extremely smart and are easy to train.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations Guchi. How bad is the shedding on the Shih-Tzu?

The Maltese looks like a good suggestion too JTRIX.

Yorkies seem like a good fit too, any experiences with them?

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kimura Kaela - D.T.S