JPHiP Radio (11/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - O My God

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1004829 times)

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2160 on: October 12, 2012, 08:02:06 AM »
Freaking Ohio State always stealing ideas. First Script Ohio now this. :smh We'll see who's flag is waving over the castle after Michigan takes it to them in the horseshoe this year!

(Michigan's band did Still Alive outside the stadium pre-game a while ago when I was there :P)

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2161 on: October 13, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
i guess in moh multiplayer you have to work as a team - you get points for resupplying your teammate (you're part of a 2 man fireteam), healing him/her, and allowing them to respawn on your position...if your teammate sucks or doesn't 'get it' then it sux to be you i guess...earlier i was lucky enough to be paired with someone who was not only a good player but knew all of this - we were the 'featured fireteam' (we got the most points in the match) like 3 or 4 times...i then ended up with someone who wasn't as good and the results weren't as good  :doh:
i must admit i like how if you melee an unsuspecting opponent you get a 'humiliation' bonus - you murk them with a little axe instead of a knife like in other games  >:D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:07:36 PM by john_hung »

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #2162 on: October 13, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
Do it! All opinions welcome here. Who knows, you may not be the only one to have the same complaints!

Go on and rant pika, I want to read it too!!!

YOU ASKED FOR IT  :tama-mad:

Well, actually, I've kind of forgotten some of my largest complaints about the game since I figured out a way around them by just avoiding them entirely and doing something else XD (I don't know if that counts as cheating)

1) The Combat system

Like I was saying above I found some ways around it, so I'm less mad now, but! I know the fighting was a big issue for a lot of people in the first game, and they couldn't complete any of the fighting challenges, I know I couldn't get very far, and I beat the game on hard (no warnings for attacks).
But in this they decide to make it even harder...... WHAT!? and add enemies that you have to defeat in specific ways with button presses or methods, or ones that damage you if you hit them normally, or break your combo.
"But Pika! just practice!!" I hear you say, but if it were only that simple... for example an armoured henchman, you need to stun him then use the beatdown move, however if you do that, all the other enemies charge up to you and prevent you from beating him, so you have to counter, let him go, then you have an untouchable (you'll lose your combo) guy chasing you around for the rest of the stage. Then there's the knife guys, who slow the fight down and force you to do a little dance with them (which feels impossible at first and is super frustrating), or the shield guys who require a special move to defeat, the only problem is the shield move glitches and breaks the combo half the time, or the stun baton guys move, which also only works half the time, and bye bye combo.

I just gave up trying to do all this crap and used the special combo takedown instead, just to get rid of them from the fight.
I don't care if that's cheating, but it's how I get through it.

I'll be honest here, I actually find the fighting challenges easy now, and I can breeze through them, I completed all of them with Red Robin, and I had no idea this was actually harder than with Batman or the others, who for example can destroy enemy weapons and has better gadgets, but Robin can't so it can be a hard struggle for him, but with Batman I beat them easily, so maybe that is the source of my endless frustration.... OR IS IT.

2) Unskippable Insults When You Die.

In the main game I can tolerate this a little, I know it's cool seeing the models of the bad guys up close and everything, but in the stupid hard bits in the main story it can be annoying.

But to have this in Riddler's Revenge? which is super cheap/hard and super annoying, and you WILL die a lot? NO NO NO NO!!!
I know you might think I'm being silly, but when you're retrying over and over and over at an extremely annoying section and Riddler comes in to insult your intelligence every single time, and you HAVE to listen to it all the way through, it would send anyone into a massive rage.

3) Riddler's Revenge

I have my gripes with this mode itself, in addition to forcing you to get all the medals in each level in one run rather than getting them one at a time, forcing you to play each level over and over, you have to play each level over and over too in the  'campaign' mode which is just 3 levels stuck together so you have to get 9 medals without failing.

I worked it out and you have to play each level once on normal, once on extreme and three times in campaign mode, so you have to beat each level five times x 4 characters so 20 times each, if you don't mess up on a medal and have to restart (which you will) so this takes FOREVER to complete everything.

Oh and there's 12 base levels in total so that's 120 levels x 4 characters = 480 levels for the achievements & the extra levels Nightwing and Robin have to do as well.

4) 90% of the game is Riddler Trophies and Riddler's Revenge

This game is SO SHORT storywise and the ending is even shorter (no spoilers) which was really annoying considering how hard I worked to get there, and how punishingly hard some sections were.

So, they resorted to the Assassin's Creed/GTA4/every other modern game's method of filling up 'gameplay hours' with collect this, collect that, which I'm getting sick of having to do for silly achievement points in most modern games I play.

I was disappointed with the 'open area' of Arkham City too, it's not all that open after all, and you end up walking in the front door of 99% of all the buildings when there's windows everywhere and ends up being linear after all in the end.

I'M THE BATMAN, I CAN SNEAK IN A WINDOW.

I'm kind of sad that so much of this game feels like a punishment for something rather than being fun, I'm sad that I'm a big Batman fan so my fandom is being used against me because I want to complete this game, while it laughs in my face the whole time.
When the next game comes out I'm not even sure if I'm going to buy it, or if I do, I'll just beat the story then never touch it again, what a waste of my life.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2163 on: October 13, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
Yeh, can understand pretty much all of those points. Hearing The Riddler taunt my every damn time gets old fast and the fact I can't skip it makes it worse. Collectables are fine, but the fact that there's 400 trophies, the majority of which are 'go here, find this' as opposed to working out riddles does seem like padding. It's worth it for the Riddler challenge rooms where you have to save hostages. Up to a point. Don't aim for the full 400 as what happens when you get it is a complete waste of time. The final room has none of the challenge or creativity of the previous rooms and the ending is super anti-climatic. While I wasn't hoping for an all out boss battle (it is The Riddler after all), I would have liked it to be longer, a multi room challenge requiring you to use all your gadgets and skill to get through to the end, which in itself can be considered a boss battle. But nope, none of that.

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2164 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »
got sniper:ghost warrior and pgr4 today - the sniper game is pretty cool, and the multiplayer is pretty different since everyone's sniper class, so there's no run & gun like in other games...i know i used to have pgr3, but i don't remember if i ever had pgr4...i've always liked the pgr games...oh yeah i traded in black ops and mw3 also

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2165 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »
Saw this on a movie site today, if this is for real... AWESOME!

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2166 on: October 20, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »
my gamerscore makes me a 'champion' level for the my achievements part of xbox live rewards - i get a special gift next month (my birthday month) and 1%rebate on all xbox live marketplace purchases  :cow:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2167 on: October 20, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »
I FUCKING BEAT ORNSTEIN AND SMOUGH SOLO IN DARK SOULS!!! For clarification, this is the infamous point in Dark Souls that pushes players to breaking point. For a game with it's notorious difficulty, imagine what it must be like to fight two bosses at once. That actually happens in Dark Souls. Most players wind up having to summon another player just to get by, but I perservered and managed to kill both of them by myself. Only took me, oh, over 20 attempts, but actually doing it is unbelievably satisfying, feels like I can take on the world right now. I will defeat you Dark Souls!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:04:09 PM by Tuffty »

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2168 on: October 21, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »
gonna try to be at gamestop at like 9 pm or sooner to get a spot at the front of the line for warfighter  :thumbup

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2169 on: October 22, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
!

:shocked:

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2170 on: October 23, 2012, 01:13:34 AM »
Anyone who played the original XCOM probably remembers the set-up procedure. Most games in the era you'd just type install and it would do its thing. XCOM required "install c:\ufo"; "install" would just fail, and "install c:" would spew junk all over your hard drive's root directory.

That would just copy the game files, then you needed to go to the game directory, type "setup" and manually enter the IRQs and DMAs and such for your sound card.

Anyway, my copy of XCOM 2012 arrived today. First thing I do is pop in the disc and try to install the game. After crashing the first time, I type in my secret code and register it with Steam. It then starts downloading from the Steam servers - which would cost me around $350 in bandwidth charges.

I click around, but can't find any "Install from CD" buttons anywhere in Steam. Next step is turning to Google which reveals I need to:
1. Delete the data
2. Confirm
3. Quit Steam
4. Go to the Command Line/Run and type "C:\Program Files\x86\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Then the game installs from the disc it came on. :eek:

Of course that doesn't mean I can actually play the game. Now it won't launch till it updates multiple gigabytes of data (adding around $50 to the price tag of the game).

Anyway, I remember having to clean my hard drive after installing the original game to the root directory of C: by accident (and trying to remember which arcanely named file was a system file and which belonged to XCOM). The new game definitely keeps up the tradition of the install procedure being more difficult than the actual missions.

Estimated ETA to being able to play the game is around 5 hours, so I've got lots of time to express my feelings in the meantime. :p

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2171 on: October 23, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »
i ended up being first in line (well actually me and skynet were the only people who were waiting lol) for moh midnight launch. apparently they only had 40 pre-orders  :nervous but at least i was #1

oh snap new dashboard update  :shocked:

the campaign is pretty sick - i don't remember the campaign from the previous moh so i don't know if it picks up right where the other  left off (you still play as preacher, voodoo and the guys from the other game are in it but there are some new guys too) but it's pretty fuckin' awesome - if you do decide to go full auto, shoot in short bursts - the recoil's a bitch in this game (they were trying to make it as realistic as possible i heard) so i've just been going in semi with all assault rifles...the multiplayer hasn't changed much from the beta but the campaign is really fun, and it's cool to see real-life products in the game without them shoving the marketing down your throat (there is one gratuitous mechanix wear gloves shot but it's not that bad lol)

fuck yeh just passed the campaign - i guess it's pretty short but it's pretty sick and intense - not sure how much i'll play the multiplayer but i think i'm gonna play thru the campaign again on a more difficult setting
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:13:08 AM by john_hung »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2172 on: October 24, 2012, 09:38:08 PM »
An interesting article on games journalism and where it's at right now. Tweeting praise on a game, just to win a PS3, seems rather shady from someone who's career is meant to objectively review and critique games.

The Walking Dead video game, previously a multi part digital release, is coming out onto a disc, and the collectors edition is coming with the first 48 issues of the graphic novel. I'm absolutely getting that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:45:27 PM by Tuffty »

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2173 on: October 25, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »
Cool! I was waiting for Halloween, in the hopes that the TWD episodes would be part of a Halloween special sale or something, but now I'll definately wait for the disc version!

edit: Argh, now I see, this is only for NA, ok then it will be the dl episodes for me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:46:21 PM by coachie »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2174 on: October 25, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
^ I'm holding out for a Euro release! Please, please, please, please, please....

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2175 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »
Ryo Hazuki for Dictator.

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2176 on: October 26, 2012, 04:56:47 AM »
i've decided to play thru the warfighter campaign again on the higher difficulty but in semi-auto only  :cool1: (i used to play rainbow six : vegas 2 like that and it made it more interesting)

Offline TeriyakiBoi

• Member+
  • Fantasy Football Champion (3 in 5 years)
« Reply #2177 on: October 26, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »
Since I love Borderlands 2 so much, I decided to make my own wallpaper:

Yeah, the DLC gave me some inspiration but for the most part, Maya and Zer0 would look really badass with these colors
"Chicks dig the long ball" - Greg Maddux

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2178 on: October 27, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
i've decided to play thru the warfighter campaign again on the higher difficulty but in semi-auto only  :cool1: (i used to play rainbow six : vegas 2 like that and it made it more interesting)

got about half-way thru like this and can't be bothered to finish - this game was not worth a pre-order nor the full price - wait till you can rent it to play it  :thumbdown: i have never been so disappointed with something (this vexes me even more than when rika cut & dyed her hair for the aisucream mv  :angry: )

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2179 on: October 27, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
^ Wow that's a surprise! :o Why, what makes it so bad? Is the higher difficulty unfair?

I'm in the mood for a new driving game now. Played the demo for Forza Horizon and really enjoyed it, I can see myself buying it. But the new Need For Speed is out next week I think and that looks really something. It's made by Criterion, the Burnout guys, so there's plenty of good looking crashes and high speed racing which looks and sounds awesome. This here is one fantastic looking race/outrun from the cops that I've ever seen in a game.

JPHiP Radio (11/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - O My God