JPHiP Radio (11/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: EvoL - We Are a Bit Different

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1004824 times)

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2500 on: June 19, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »
Suddenly had a craving to watch Gamecenter CX. You'know, the japanese show with Arino trying to finish a retro game every episode. :oops:
Hey. It's the show's 10th anniversary this year!! :heart:

Found a guy has uploaded most of the episodes to youtube (up to #161, which is the newest one right now), only missing the early ones.
Best thing is the episodes he's uploaded have eng subs straight up to ep117. :)

Just search youtube for "gamecenter cx" and his videos are probably at the top right now. :thumbup

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2501 on: June 20, 2013, 03:02:02 AM »
Heads up to anyone playing The Last Of Us, there's a nasty bug where the autosave doesn't work and you could end up losing your progress since you last played or lost save game files completely. It's widely reported and a lot of people have reported cases where they've lost save game files 8 hrs in. How that bug managed to get through QA I'll never know. Best bet would be to wait on a patch before putting some serious time into it. I've enough PS3 games at the minute, but once I hear a patch is in place, I will certainly play it.

Naughty Dog has already fixed the problem. The cause was a server issue. Hope to see more hipsters play this game, especially the multiplayer portion.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2502 on: June 23, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
I watched The Last of Us on youtube :D ... AWESOME GAME. I thought I was done watching playthroughs on YT, but the story in this was so good I had to watch all of it. The characters, voice acting, all was great. My problem was mostly with the player wanting to kill everything and loot everything, so that broke the atmosphere at several points. (I thought it would've been more realistic if he'd taken advantage of situations when sneaking by was an option.) But I can't really complain, this guy let me experience the game from the passenger seat. :P

I love that Ellie wasn't just a little girl you protect and save throughout the game. She was strong on her own. :heart:

I think I'm finished with Fallout 3 for now. I installed Fallout New Vegas and, after switching the difficulty to easy, am enjoying it quite a bit :3 Which is different from the first time I tried this game ages ago. It really helps to know how to use the pip boy and stuff from Fallout 3. And no wonder I didn't figure out how to properly use VATS when I first tried NV ages ago; it's almost useless at the beginning. I seriously do better aiming without it, which is ridiculous. LOL. I mean, if I just aim and shoot normally at least I'm likely to hit my target somewhere. If I aim with VATS and it fails, I doesn't do ANY damage, vs. doing at least SOME damage when shooting manually. I'm curious to see at what point and with which perks this is going to change. Of course I'll still keep trying to use VATS because when it hits it works well. It's just that it doesn't happen as often as I'd like.

AAAND I'm also starting my journey on Skyrim :P I wanted to play with magic at first, but then I heard it's a little meh and Amp recommended sneaking + bow (which also sounds a lot of fun) so I think I'm going to try that. 8) Of course, I had just finished watching Last of Us so I named my character Ellie.

...I had also planned of continuing playing Star Wars KOTOR after taking a break something like a year ago (...), but then I discovered that I don't have the save files on this computer. Duh. Instead of digging them up I started a new game. To my annoyance, tho, the game is bugged; often after combat my character just refuses to move. I have to save the game and reload it and then she'll be back to normal, but it's really annoying. I still want to finish this game one day because it's a classic and a lot of fun and the voice acting is really good imo, but it might fall behind Fallout NV and Skyrim when it comes to priorities 8)
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2503 on: June 23, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »
I watched The Last of Us on youtube :D ... AWESOME GAME. I thought I was done watching playthroughs on YT, but the story in this was so good I had to watch all of it. The characters, voice acting, all was great. My problem was mostly with the player wanting to kill everything and loot everything, so that broke the atmosphere at several points. (I thought it would've been more realistic if he'd taken advantage of situations when sneaking by was an option.) But I can't really complain, this guy let me experience the game from the passenger seat. :P

Did the player stealth kill or went out guns blazing? For me there were at least two or three situations where I did sneak away without killing a single person. Most of the time I only killed anyone who blatantly attacked innocent bystanders and all the infected just because I felt bad for them and decided to end their misery and pain. (In other words, waste a few bullets, arrows, nail bombs, and molotov cocktails since my inventory is almost always full and there's a bunch of items laying around untouched)

I do like the growing relationship between Joel and Ellie after they leave the Boston Quarantine Zone. Those optional conversations between the two of them were sometimes amusing.

Anyways, I'm probably at the halfway point of the game (my game save shows me at having completed 60%). I could probably be done this week if no other emotional heart-breaking cut-scenes hold me back.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2504 on: June 23, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »
Did the player stealth kill or went out guns blazing?
He started with stealth kills always, but sometimes he couldn't finish the entire area like that. To his credit he tried his best to be strategic about the kills. He even preferred the bow over guns because the bow is quieter. (At least this is what I assume) But he pretty much killed everything because he was a completionist type of player who wants to explore every single corner of every single area, and of course he can't do that if there are enemies around.

Anyway good luck completing the game Hart!! Want to hear your comments once you're done :D

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2505 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:06 AM »
Just recently started playing Skyrim again with the intention of not allowing myself to 'fast travel' and it's been really rewarding so far. Anyone else ever try playing a Skyrim sized game without fast travelling? It's a bit easier in Skyrim because you get access to a horse but do any of you have any experience doing this in Fallout 3? It's been awhile since I last played it so I can't recall if the distances are too great for my questionable patience.

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #2506 on: June 24, 2013, 06:35:11 AM »
haha, what Ellen Page ISN'T in the Last Of Us?

After hearing she was in a PS3 game at last years E3 I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thought it was her in this game.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2507 on: June 24, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
Forth, the idea sounds fun for Skyrim but I would not do it in Fallout 3. First of all, plenty of places are only accessible via the metro tunnels and it's a pain in the ass to find the right ones in the first place. Also, Fallout 3 is not as pretty as Skyrim nor is there as much going on in the map so walking around would get boring. Hell, I already got kinda bored when I had trouble finding certain locations lol Also if you're like me and collect something for your house, going back to Megaton from somewhere like Rivet City just to drop off a few teddies... Shieeeeet. :lol:

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2508 on: June 24, 2013, 09:30:29 AM »
haha, what Ellen Page ISN'T in the Last Of Us?

After hearing she was in a PS3 game at last years E3 I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thought it was her in this game.

Ellen Page will only be in Beyond: Two Souls. Even I'll admit when I saw the initial trailer from last year's E3 that I thought Ellie looked like Ellen Page. Although recently I've heard she's unhappy that Naughty Dog 'ripped off' her likeness.  :huhuh

At first Ellie did look similar to her, but Naughty Dog decided to alter her appearance to "fit the personality" her voice and motion caption actor Ashley Johnson (the waitress from The Avengers movie) and make her appear younger than she initially would've been.

I still remember her as the little girl from the Growing Pains TV show.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2509 on: June 24, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »
^Is she going to be more pissed if Last of Us turns out to be the better game :lol: ...Hate to say it but based on the trailer, it looks like Last of Us takes the cake. Beyond Two Souls is awesome for having a female protagonist and stealth action is cool, but the trailer gives me such Hollywood film vibes. Shit, was that a hint of romance I saw in there? Eeuuuughhh. ...And I find Ellen Page kinda overrated. Even the character in the trailer looks so wooden. :lol:

It's been a couple days since I finished watching Last of Us and I miss Ellie... ^^;;

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2510 on: June 24, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »
Shit, was that a hint of romance I saw in there?

Yep.  :yep:

As seen from the Tribeca trailer:

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2511 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »
Ok this second trailer was MUCH better!!! It gives a reason why she's "special" and the CIA wants to train her. And gives her character depth. The first one was just like, eh some chica trains and then she goes on stealth killing missions and there's a bit of romance zzzz.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2512 on: June 24, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »
Well that's great. That's really fucking great. Looks like I've had The Last Of Us ending spoiled. Avoided trailers, any podcast talk, forum threads you name it. Then someone drops the ending in a tweet. Fucking ridiculous. I mean really fucking unbelievable. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to play it. Now I don't want to. I fucking hate this feeling.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2513 on: June 24, 2013, 01:27:37 PM »
:( I'm so sorry Tuff

It's still a great journey but... Yeah you probably need time and I totally understand the feeling.

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2514 on: June 24, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
That sucks, Tufft. I was hoping to see your reactions to the game; maybe even some co-op or head-to-head in multi-player.

Hope you would reconsider after some time passes. Like shi said, it is a truly remarkable game and if you do decide to give it a try that you will enjoy the journey through the game more than the final outcome.

Once I'm done with The Last of Us, I'm thinking of trying out Uncharted 2. Still can't decide whether or not to get Beyond: Two Souls.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2515 on: June 24, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
I'll likely pick it up soon enough anyway, might as well get through it at least, lest anything else gets spoiled. Still excited to actually play it. Just....yeh.

It just makes me think that some of the best experiences I've had this gen, or any gen, are from playing games that I knew little about or purposefully avoided any spoilers or the overabundance of trailers/previews I've seen of it (The Walking Dead, Bayonetta, Dark Souls, Persona 3/4)

Beyond Two Souls is awesome for having a female protagonist and stealth action is cool, but the trailer gives me such Hollywood film vibes.

And there lies the reason I'm not excited for it. Not that it's trying to be a Hollywood film, no. It's that it's David Cage, trying to make it a Hollywood film. If you don't know, David Cage was also in charge of the premise, story and development for Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. Two games which have the dumbest stories. David Cage goes on a lot about how the industry hasn't evolved to tell a decent story like in Hollywood films and says the only way to do it is through photo realism.  That he's something like a pioneer, driving the industry onto greater things and he's the only one leading the charge. Fuck that. This is from the same guy who writes awful female characters, to the point where you wonder if he's really sexist. This is the guy so pretentious and up his own ass that he put himself, in his own game giving you a tutorial.

I could say a lot about Heavy Rain and how it absolutely does not deserve it's labels of being high art when it has such dumb characters, terrible action sequences, the biggest plot holes and the worst twist I can remember in a murder mystery. It's not that it is just a bad murder mystery story, but it's the fact that the game straight up lies to you. Murder mysteries need subtle clues that lead you to figure it out on your own, without treating you like you're an idiot. Heavy Rain doesn't do that. It's hard to convince if you haven't played or watched a playthrough of the game like I have and without getting into spoiler territory. I would recommend watching a playthrough of it because it stands up as being one of the worst examples of a game story, despite it's claims of being better than any other video game story out there. My advice would be to play The Walking Dead instead, an infinitely far better game and story. Sorry, I just think Cage is a fucking hack and it's why I don't have any interest in Beyond Two Souls.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:35:44 PM by Tuffty »

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2516 on: June 25, 2013, 07:55:46 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have completed The Last of Us. And I gotta say...the past 2 weeks since buying a copy were amazing. The acting was superb. The environments were beautiful. The soundtrack which I will listen to later is wonderful. The cut-scenes.....oh the cut-scenes. Once or twice I had to put the controller down in order to absorb what I saw. As for the ending....well if I were in Joel's shoes, and experienced what he went through, both before and during the game, I would've done the same thing. As for Ellie, I'm glad to see her develop from someone to protect to being able to stand on her own and do whatever is necessary to survive. As for more on her back story, I'm considering reading The Last of Us: American Dreams, the comic prequel to the game.

I will definitely play this game again, either on Hard or Survivor mode. On Normal I ended up having way to much ammo or items to craft. For now I guess I will continue with multi-player, even though I'm not good at it.  :nervous

EDIT: One tiny tidbit that I forgot to mention, but won't spoil unless you've either completed the game or watched an entire playthrough I decided to watch the end credits; wanted to know who else gave their voices to the game. And lo and behold I see Nolan North, a.k.a. Nathan Drake of the Uncharted series. Only I was surprise by which character he was voicing. Just like how I never imagine Troy Baker as Joel. This goes to show how much I love the acting in this game, where the voices don't necessarily match with the actors. I also liked the easter eggs that I've discovered: plush dolls of Drake and Jak, board games of Uncharted and Jak and Dexter, a PS3 console lying around, medallions from Uncharted, and a newspaper headline of an Uncharted movie. Didn't like who was staring as Drake. No way he's being played by some Canadian Pop Singer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:42:54 PM by HartAKL85 »

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2517 on: June 29, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »
I thought this was interesting, about storytelling in video games vs. other media, etc.

Where settings becomes the story... Very good point imo, love the example from Mass Effect! Those random moments and details were what made the game for me.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2518 on: July 02, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »
This is brilliant, a man leaves a Quake 3 bot match on for 4 years and when he comes back to it, he notices some strange things...

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2519 on: July 02, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
lol that's really funny.. and scary. Have you heard about the guy who left a game of Civ (one of the older versions) running for a long time with all AI to see how the global politics, wars, etc would pan out? It was really interesting.

Here's some info on it:

pics from the game - http://imgur.com/a/rAnZs

I've been playing the same game of Civ II for 10 years. Though long outdated, I grew fascinated with this particular game because by the time Civ III was released, I was already well into the distant future. I then thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be. Naturally I play other games and have a life, but I often return to this game when I'm not doing anything and carry on. The results are as follows.
The world is a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation.
There are 3 remaining super nations in the year 3991 A.D, each competing for the scant resources left on the planet after dozens of nuclear wars have rendered vast swaths of the world uninhabitable wastelands.
-The ice caps have melted over 20 times (somehow) due primarily to the many nuclear wars. As a result, every inch of land in the world that isn't a mountain is inundated swamp land, useless to farming. Most of which is irradiated anyway.
-As a result, big cities are a thing of the distant past. Roughly 90% of the worlds population (at it's peak 2000 years ago) has died either from nuclear annihilation or famine caused by the global warming that has left absolutely zero arable land to farm. Engineers (late game worker units) are always busy continuously building roads so that new armies can reach the front lines. Roads that are destroyed the very next turn when the enemy goes. So there isn't any time to clear swamps or clean up the nuclear fallout.
-Only 3 super massive nations are left. The Celts (me), The Vikings, And the Americans. Between the three of us, we have conquered all the other nations that have ever existed and assimilated them into our respective empires.
-You've heard of the 100 year war? Try the 1700 year war. The three remaining nations have been locked in an eternal death struggle for almost 2000 years. Peace seems to be impossible. Every time a cease fire is signed, the Vikings will surprise attack me or the Americans the very next turn, often with nuclear weapons. Even when the U.N forces a peace treaty. So I can only assume that peace will come only when they're wiped out. It is this that perpetuates the war ad infinitum. Have any of you old Civ II players out there ever had this problem in the post-late game?
-Because of SDI, ICBMS are usually only used against armies outside of cities. Instead, cities are constantly attacked by spies who plant nuclear devices which then detonate (something I greatly miss from later civ games). Usually the down side to this is that every nation in the world declares war on you. But this is already the case so its no longer a deterrent to anyone. My self included.
-The only governments left are two theocracies and myself, a communist state. I wanted to stay a democracy, but the Senate would always over-rule me when I wanted to declare war before the Vikings did. This would delay my attack and render my turn and often my plans useless. And of course the Vikings would then break the cease fire like clockwork the very next turn. Something I also miss in later civ games is a little internal politics. Anyway, I was forced to do away with democracy roughly a thousand years ago because it was endangering my empire. But of course the people hate me now and every few years since then, there are massive guerrilla (late game barbarians) uprisings in the heart of my empire that I have to deal with which saps resources from the war effort.
-The military stalemate is air tight. The post-late game in civ II is perfectly balanced because all remaining nations already have all the technologies so there is no advantage. And there are so many units at once on the map that you could lose 20 tank units and not have your lines dented because you have a constant stream moving to the front. This also means that cities are not only tiny towns full of starving people, but that you can never improve the city. "So you want a granary so you can eat? Sorry; I have to build another tank instead. Maybe next time."
-My goal for the next few years is to try and end the war and thus use the engineers to clear swamps and fallout so that farming may resume. I want to rebuild the world. But I'm not sure how. If any of you old Civ II players have any advice, I'm listening.
Edit: -Wow guys. Thanks for all your support. I had no idea this post would get this kind of response. -I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on my efforts. Whether here on Reddit, or a blog, or both. -Turns out a whole subreddit has been dedicated to ending this war. It's at /r/theeternalwar

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

JPHiP Radio (11/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: EvoL - We Are a Bit Different