JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ten-flo loves Odango & Zone - Summer Time Love

Author Topic: Worst. Game. EVER!  (Read 13153 times)

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
Worst. Game. EVER!
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:20:01 AM »
With a little talk about ET last night and Tuffty's recent post about the worst game he played. What are some of the worst games you've ever played and why?

Everyone mentions ET, I saw it a few years ago at an anime con and then again when Mucca posted it. It does look bad, but I don't care to count it. I guess 'cause it's so old or 'cause so many people make it their #1, I'm just like, "Oh you too? :yawn:"

One of the worst games I've ever played is Survival Arts. What's even worse is that I thought this game was awesome when I first played it. Characters were big, even though I thought they were kinda lame even back then (I always though it looked cool when characters filled the screen, like in Art of FIghting). What made it so cool to me was that you could pick up weapons in the arena and chop of body parts and dismember them. I downloaded the emulator for this a few years ago just for laughs. I couldn't believe how terrible everything was. Wack ass characters, lame moves, shitty fighting, just...ugh.

Survival Arts Match 1

Survival Arts Match 2

Offline Mucca

• Go! Amazon Goddess!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Worst. Game. EVER!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:14:41 AM »
Until a few years ago, I didn't even realize E.T. was such a reviled game -- I just figured it was some obscure Atari 2600 game that stunk. I'm not sure if I'd make it my #1 worst game ever (if I even had such a list), but I do speak from experience when I say it's a really bad game. I loved practically any game I'd pop into an Atari, and even back then I thought E.T. was pure crap.

But like you said, that's easy pickings (kind of like Action 52, another terrible game that people will often quote as the worst game ever). So I'll stick to other stuff in this thread. Like Street Legal.

Street Legal is a budget PC racing game developed by Activision (warning sign #1) to cash in on The Fast and the Furious craze back in the day. I bought it as a laugh one day, expecting it to be a total joke -- and I was right. I suppose its graphics aren't too terrible (for 2002), but that's hardly a ringing endorsement. Out of the box, the game is totally unplayable; my PC surpassed the recommended specs listed on the box, and the game ran at probably 1 frame per second (that is not an exaggeration). There were numerous patches available, the biggest of which was about as big as the installed game itself -- so, in essence, you had to patch the entire game to even run it.

Once you could actually get the game running, you were treated to a flat, lifeless cityscape (with building fronts that looked like the flat wooden props you see on stereotypical studio back lot sets), where you could do such things with your car as drive along the bottom of lakes without damaging your vehicle. You could buy and customize your cars, which was fun for about two minutes.

As for the game itself, you could beat it without doing any actual street racing. You see, the game allowed you to customize any race you participated in, so what you could do was make a beast of a dragster, and set up every race as a short drag. Since the AI cars were all sleek imported street racers, none of them had the acceleration or top speed necessary to win a drag race against a beefed-up muscle car. So that took whatever challenge there was out of the game.

Plus, the game allowed you to do things like set a screen resolution that your monitor didn't support. This would bork the game until you went into the game directory and manually edited the game's config file to something your monitor could display, so you could actually see the game to play it.

It's not the worst game ever, but it's pretty bad.

--------

As for your choice, arun, Art of Fighting looks like a bad cross between Mortal Kombat and Pit Fighter. Ugh. But it certainly looks terrible!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 01:19:14 AM »
Already mentioned Excalibur 2555 on the Postwhoring thread and it took me a while to think of other stinkers I've had or played, until something else leapt out at me. Myst for the PS1. Now I'm sure there's probably people who would lambast me for saying so, but for me, I just didn't get into it at all. No animations, the complex puzzles, the non-existant story, I just didn't find the urge to continue after half an hour I was bored to tears. Point and click adventures are good if there's a narrative guiding you along, Broken Sword is my favourite in the genre. But when you're dropped into the game world in Myst, with no indication what to do or where to go, it doesn't exactly help. I guess it's an acquired taste.

Myst

Offline Mucca

• Go! Amazon Goddess!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 01:26:58 AM »
^My friends and I used to refer to Myst as the world's most popular screen-saver.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
I played Myst long ago and had no idea what it was about. A friend of mine I met through our love of Moratl Kombat and Doom told me it was the best game ever. I was so lost. I didn't enjoy any point-and-click games until a few years ago. I've wanted to try Myst after I got got into them, but I still haven't yet.

As for your choice, arun, Art of Fighting looks like a bad cross between Mortal Kombat and Pit Fighter. Ugh. But it certainly looks terrible!
lol Pit Fighter. That was another game I though was cool when I was younger. I loved any movies with martial arts back then (Best of the Best was my favorite at that time) and that game reminded me of those. That was one of the games that made me want a Genesis.

I got an emulator for this game too, but I don't really count it since it never got released. TATTOO ASSASSINS. I still can't believe I played through this game like 5 times. I even figured out combos for it. XD Every single aspect of this game is terrible. There are no good things in it.

Tattoo Assassins Gameplay

Some info about it
http://www.bunnyears.net/tattoo/
http://progressiveboink.com/archive/tattoo.htm

Offline suicune141

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:43:56 AM »
Hmm....well, I'll just list the worst games I've ever played. Ones that are just, to me, sooo  :banghead:-worthy.  :smhid

Pokemon Red Rescue Team: I love Pokemon, but as much as I do, I think they wasted a shit-load making these crappy Rescue Team games. I'm not even going to bother with the Mystery Dungeons. Repetitive and boring, like a classic video game after years of playing it.  :lol:

...Oh, and this one Duke Nukem game for the N64. I hated that. I love the old PC Duke Nukem games, but urgh. This one was just.... too modernized. Maybe it was just me being used to the oldness of the Windows '98 (or w/e it was), 2D side-scrolling games, but meh.

I know there's a ton more, but I have to think about it. I'm drawing a huge blank right now. (I blame all that chocolate.)

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
Are you guys familiar with the Angry Video Game Nerd ?

He is becoming pretty famous. What he does is "take you back to the past, to play the shitty games that suck ass" as the song of the videos say it. In www.gametrailers.com/screwattack there are a lot of his videos. He reviews mostly only horrible old games and it's funny as hell.

I gotta say, I've play a lot of the games he played, some I didn't even remembered existed, probably because they are so bad my brain made so I could forget them.

I'll put one of my favorite videos here: Sega 32X - Angry Video Game Nerd AVGN

Watch it and thank me later!   :twothumbs

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:25:56 PM »
Maybe not the worst, but FIFA10 is certainly the most insulting game I've ever played.

Driv3r was also pretty terrible. The gameplay was shit compared to the first two/GTA series, and the bugs.. good god the bugs (XBOX version) :doh:

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:04:03 PM by arun.yothin »

Offline Mucca

• Go! Amazon Goddess!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
As bad as Pit Fighter arcade was, it pales in comparison to the home console port:

Sega Genesis Games#01 - Pit Fighter (Last Battle + Ending) (02/02)

Utter crap. I rented it once, and it was barely playable.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
Maybe not the worst, but FIFA10 is certainly the most insulting game I've ever played.

Eh?! This better be the Wii version otherwise you have some explaining to do!!

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »
I used to be a little sad that I never had a Genesis as a kid. If I did, I probably would have gotten Pit Fighter. :(

Offline RoyMoy

• Member+
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 02:44:43 AM »
Are you guys familiar with the Angry Video Game Nerd ?

He is becoming pretty famous. What he does is "take you back to the past, to play the shitty games that suck ass" as the song of the videos say it. In www.gametrailers.com/screwattack there are a lot of his videos. He reviews mostly only horrible old games and it's funny as hell.

Beat me to it. It's pretty funny. Though the recent episodes seem to be lacking a bit. I'm not a big fan of the thematic gags. My favorite is Die-Hard for NES. The part with urkel is funny.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 02:49:02 AM »
I used to be a little sad that I never had a Genesis as a kid. If I did, I probably would have gotten Pit Fighter. :(

Ditto. I usually research my games, so I haven't ended up with any real stinkers recently - there are entire genres of games I don't like though.

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I shit my pants on a regular basis
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 02:54:55 AM »
Survival Arts looks like one of the funniest games ever! I lol'd quite a bit at jsut how bad it looked, amy have to hunt a copy of that down!

Already mentioned Excalibur 2555 on the Postwhoring thread and it took me a while to think of other stinkers I've had or played, until something else leapt out at me.

Haha I played the demo of that and actually liked it! :p That was a fair few years ago now though so I'd like to play again to see if it's as bad as you say.

Worst game I've ever played though...? Easily Xena for the PS2, which was bought for me as a joke present for my birthday a couple of years ago. Why was it so bad? Not only was the gameplay awful but the game was literally impossible to finish as there were so many glitches. I don't think the game must ever have been tested before it was released as I managed to find over 50 glitches within ten minutes of playing. You could be walking along a path and suddnely be teleported back to the start of the level for no reason, or fall underground and then reappear at the top of the level and fall form the sky and die. Truly terrible, but mildly entertaining for a couple of minutes.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 07:18:11 AM »
Thanks for the link Yuna! Having lots of fun watching the vids. :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:24:48 AM by Asmodai »

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
The newest episode of the Angry Video Game Nerd is out!
Steet Fighter 2010, and it fits just right since we just entered in the year 2010!
This one is really good, enjoy !

http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=60452

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 03:27:23 PM »
Robotech: Battlecry  :twisted:

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »
Honestly say I haven't played a game that was bad enough to get this title.

Instead I think the gaming mechanic of "Quick Time Events" is one of the most overly/wrongly used tools of recent games. So it's like worst game ever inside a video game. :smhid
It's great when done right, which is ~3% of games I've played...
But most of the time I'm focusing on the friggin command and miss the clip's moments. MGS4 is one of the biggest criminals I know of this. Sometimes they're too small on the screen, sometimes the commands don't give enough time, sometimes they're littered throughout the game making it a hassle.
I'd rather watch an action clip any day, than get game overs from hitting the 'x' button 14 times instead of the needed 15. :angry:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
^ I'm with you on that, the worst types of QTE's are those that asks you to press buttons, but the button prompts are at a total disconnect from what you've learned in your time with the game e.g. a action game tells you that by pressing B, you initiate a kick, but during a QTE, it asks you to press Y and it does some flashy kick instead. QTE's generally take control away from the player anyway, sometimes when they're on I just feel like I'm holding a glorified DVD remote. There's a pretty good rant about it here:

Rev Rants: Cinematic Gameplay

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ten-flo loves Odango & Zone - Summer Time Love