JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Girls Tape Store - Saigo no Kotoba

Author Topic: Catherine  (Read 32402 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Catherine
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:25:03 AM »

Official Site

As detailed below, Catherine is the first HD game from Atlus. It's being made with key members of the Persona staff. Included in the staff list are Katsura Hashino as producer and director, Shigenori Soejima as character designer, and Shouji Meguro as sound composer.

While the game's name is Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera). Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) is a stylish 22-year-old girl who apparently has the charms of a young girl.

The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.

The nightmares serve as an action component for the game. Set in a world with an unending stairway, Vincent has to make it to the top of the stairs, or he will not be able to awaken.

Based off Game Jouhou's summary, it's a bit unclear how the game will progress. However, it does seem that even during the nightmare action parts, you'll end up working through the story and encountering events.

During a staff interview, Hashino said that as their first HD game, rather than trying out a true RPG, the team was excited about trying out something new. It looks like Catherine will be just that, as Hashino said it will be more adult oriented than past titles from the team. It's not all style, though. Hashino promised a deep play experience with plenty of gameplay for players to sink their teeth into.

Soejima said that there are some shockingly adult scenes in the game. When you play these scenes, they'll be even more stimulating, although in a difference sense.

Meguro confirmed the adult leanings of the title, saying that the keywords for the game's music are "classic," "adult oriented" and "erotic." He also promised 5.1ch sound.

While it's not Persona 5, a HD game from the Persona team is enough reason to get me excited. And after hearing the setting and watching the trailer, it looks awesome. Granted, no actual gameplay yet, but I love the mix of anime scenes and in-game cel-shaded stuff. The overall visual style of it is great. And it also looks fucking surreal and weird (which is something I love getting into).

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Catherine
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:03:44 PM »

Looks like a total trip!!!
I love it! XD

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:05:15 AM »
I haven't been interested in video games in almost 3 months, but I want to see more of this.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
TGS trailer makes the game look even more messed up! Love it!

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
This sounds really interesting! Love it when game developers dare to try something new. The trailers are really trippy, haha. Looks great, can't wait to learn more about this :D

Offline Kamijou Toma

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 02:37:11 AM »
In all honesty, if this game doesn't come to America I will start a riot.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:47:29 PM »
New details and screenshots from Famitsu:

The latest issue of Japanese magazine, Famitsu, has the lowdown on some new information about Atlus' upcoming PS3 and Xbox 360 title, Catherine. Created by the same team as the Persona series, Catherine has gained a lot of attention for a unique look and premise. Finally, Atlus has shared the first details about the gameplay for the title, picture emails, and some story elements.

Vincent isn't the only one suffering from these terrifying nightmares. It turns out that three of his guy friends are also having the same dreams. There is Johnny, Toby, and Orlando. All of which are friends with Vincent for many years and have a narrow-minded view on love and marriage.

As for gameplay, you have witnessed Vincent running away from monsters in an odd world during the trailers, but now you can make sense of what is going on a bit more. According to Famitsu, the action part of the game will take place in this nightmare world were Vincent has to run from mysterious creatures. You'll have to avoid monsters, obstacles, and other obstructions to get by, but if you fall off the level or get captured by the monster, it's game over. The level design looks to be a mix of 2.5D and 3D.

There will also be a phone email system in place, which was revealed in the last trailer. Emails will serve as a means to communicate with Katherine and Catherine, but Catherine is one to send "naughty" pictures to Vincent. How big of an impact this element will play remains to be known, but it could be interesting.

A new monster is also revealed. You can view it in the slideshow and as you can see, it's an odd creation. This is what will chase you in your nightmares throughout the game. The creature has muscular arms, but appears to be a female body or a joint body of a man and woman -- hard to tell.

Details are slowly being revealed on Catherine as the title creeps towards a Fall release in Japan.

Doesn't sound like an RPG after all, which was my first thought. Interesting. Seems the general theme of the game seems to be focused on marriage, and men's usually slanted views of women. Just makes it seem even more adult, in the most mature way possible. Really, really looking forward to this.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:50:26 AM »
New trailer

Looking awesome :)

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
Aww man, if this doesn't get a western release...

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 01:14:35 AM »
Just to confirm, it's not an RPG..

Aww man, if this doesn't get a western release...

I'm with you on that, this looks great. But Atlus are usually pretty good about selling their games over here.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 02:30:36 AM »
Catherine's box art is different for both the 360 and PS3 version. Regardless of platform, you can judge which you prefer by asking yourself which part of the female anatomy you prefer more:

What strikes me about this box art is how sexualised it is. Yes you see attractive female characters on the front of a box before, but have they ever been so eroticised as they are here? If I had to pick, it would probably by the PS3 version, purely because of the Catherine logo placement. It's exactly in the place where my eyes begin to wander. Genius :nervous

Offline EternalSkies

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • TakaUno <3
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
Might actually pick this game up. Not entirely my sort of game but it looks awesome to me. THe PS3 box art is my favourite

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:46:22 AM »
I bet the US will get the 360 box art for both versions!
Or a completely different with only Vincent(?) on it that will make players wonder, why this game is called Cathrine, when there is only an ugly guy on the cover XD

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
Catherine's getting a pre-order edition in Japan. Those who order it get a special "Sound Disc & Art Book", which is exactly what it sounds like. I'd be tempted.

And here's Catherine to promote it

Offline EternalSkies

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • TakaUno <3
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »
Is it bad that that picture really makes me want it??? :nervous

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
Why do I associate "Sound Disc" not with a disc filled with music but .... errr... other "sounds"....? *drools at promo pic*

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »
Finally, some gameplay details!

Finally, some solid details on Catherine's action component! Famitsu has a two page spread on the game this week, and the central topic is the game's action part, which is set in main character Vincent's nightmares.

As previously detailed, the Catherine experience can be largely split into three parts. There's the adventure part which is set in the Stray Sheep Bar and has Vincent drinking, speaking with his buddies, and receiving e-mails. There's the story part which tells the game's story through anime and event scenes. And there's the nightmares-based action part.

Vincent sees his action-oriented nightmares every night. During these sequences, he must flee from mysterious creatures while climbing a stage that's set up like a giant flight of stairs, with the aim of reaching the exit at the top of the stage.

The term "stairway" may make you think of the kind of stairway that you use in real life. While some screenshots have shown in-game areas that look like this, the screens in this week's Famitsu look more like a giant tower of blocks, somewhat like Jenga.

Vincent can push and pull the blocks left, right, in and out in order to form steps and stepping spaces. You die if Vincent runs out of time or falls, so creating a safe and efficient pathway appears to be one of the goals.

Some of the blocks that make up the stairway are special. Examples include "Trap Type" and "Bomb Type." Trap type blocks have spikes coming out from their top. Bomb type blocks trigger an explosion when stepped on. This explosion engulfs surrounding blocks. Famitsu doesn't mention any use for the trap type blocks, but it suggests that you may be able to consciously use the bomb type blocks to create new paths.

Three stages are shown in the magazine. They're labeled: "Stage 3: Torture Chamber," "Stage 5 Quadrangle," and "Stage 6: Clock Tower." There seems to be color and theme differences between the stages.

The magazine also shows a stage clear scene. This shows how far up the stairway you climbed, and lists a "Safety Bonus." The player in the screenshot received a "Silver Prize" trophy, which looks like a couple of cherubs standing under a bell.

Those darn sheep men have somewhat of a role in the game's dream component. By speaking to the sheep, you can gain important information which can be useful if you manage to wake up from your nightmare the following morning.

Separate from these gameplay details, Famitsu's information box for the game lists Xbox Live and PlayStation Network Compatibility. It's unclear what form this will take.

Judging by the sound of the gameplay, I'd say the Xbox Live/PSN support is probably leaderboards rather than any competitive gameplay.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 08:14:47 PM »
Gameplay trailer:

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 12:18:05 PM »
^ I see myself dying A LOT already in this game XD

Offline EternalSkies

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • TakaUno <3
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »
^ I see myself dying A LOT already in this game XD

You're not the only one XD Looks interesting though

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Girls Tape Store - Saigo no Kotoba