JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kobushi Factory - Isogaba Maware

Author Topic: Manchester United Fans Call for GM Boycott, Among Others  (Read 1762 times)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Manchester United Fans Call for GM Boycott, Among Others
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:31:47 AM »
Chevrolet's sponsorship deal with English soccer club/cult Manchester United has already proved unpopular with General Motors -- the deal reportedly cost GM marketing boss Joel Ewanick his very high-profile job -- and it seems as if the agreement is equally unpopular with ManU fans. According to an open letter by Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST), a concerted effort is under way to boycott all ManU sponsors -- including Chevy.

Of course, in the case of MUST, the ill will seems not directed at the American auto manufacturer as much as at the Glazer family, the selling shareholder in Manchester United Ltd., who are looking to raise as much as $333 million in a U.S.-based initial public offering. According to a regulatory filing June 30, as reported by Autoblog, 16.7 million shares will be offered at $16 to $20 each.

"Long term you are eroding brand value and fan goodwill," MUST says of the IPO plans, adding that "operating profit has been falling over the past three years" and that "the ability to invest meaningfully and competitively in the team is being restricted."

As a response to actions taken under Glazer family ownership -- which MUST says they "can never accept ... as being anything but bad for the club" -- the group says it is lobbying ManU's IPO advisers and have called for a global boycott of sponsor products. "The boycott strategy is intended to send a loud and clear message to the Glazer family and club sponsors that without the support and purchasing power of the fans – the global strength of Manchester United brand doesn't actually exist," the group says.

The sponsorship agreement could net Manchester United Ltd. as much as $559 million through 2021, with GM paying $18.6 million each season for this year and next, $70 million in 2014 and "payments rising 2.1 percent each following season," according to Automotive News, in exchange for the Chevy bow tie logo appearing on ManU jerseys, apparel and related merchandise.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Manchester United Fans Call for GM Boycott, Among Others
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »
Seems like everything I hear about Utd, finance wise, just gets me more sad. I don't think they'll go down the same path of administration like other clubs have, the brand is too strong so you'd imagine there will always be a buyer, but I just wish there was good news in that department.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kobushi Factory - Isogaba Maware