JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sunny Hill - Goodbye to Romance

Author Topic: US Congress elections  (Read 1268 times)

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
US Congress elections
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »
The Democrats have won the House!  The Senate looks very close; Virginia's results will almost certainly be delayed for a recount.  But it looks like the Republicans might end up winning it.

Hopefully, the Congress will be able to pressure Dubya into coming up with a strategy that makes sense in Iraq.  And also screen out the worst of the conservatives from the Supreme Court.  Looks like lots of winning candidates campaigned in support of stem cell research.  And maybe, just maybe, we'll now be able to make some leeway in the environment.  And Dean gets redeemed at last, while McCain is definitely planning a 2008 campaign.  He seemed pretty uncomfortable in his CNN interview.  McCain vs. Hillary could be brutal.

Offline vicmu

• ecchi
  • Member+
US Congress elections
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:59:52 AM »
Quote from: chera;230901

Hopefully, the Congress will be able to pressure Dubya into coming up with a strategy that makes sense in Iraq.

you mean "strategery" right? ~_^

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
US Congress elections
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 02:49:33 PM »
The results look pretty promising.

A lot of the new Democrats are veterans and moderates. Hopefully they'll be able to moderate the Pelosi/Dean wing of the party. They'll need to if their going to have any chance at 2008.

I forgot to vote - not that it matters. I would have voted for Hillary anyway and she won in a landslide.

She looks good for 2008 - younger and healthier than McCain or Giulianni. If it comes down to Rice/Hillary though than it would be a tough choice.

I haven't looked at where Obama stands on the issues - but he seems charismatic and it's well past time for a black president so he could be a good choice too.

Allen whether he wins Virginia or not has killed his shot at  a 2008 run. Probably a good thing since he's got such horrible judgement. Allen/Gingrich - there's a ticket that will sell in Ohio and California...

On the negative side, a lot of the moderate Republicans in the North-East were defeated - like in Rhode Island. This is bad news for the Republican party since it makes them even more based around the bible belt and evangelicals. Bad news for America too since it helps to have two moderate big-tent parties.

Normally at this point I'd complain about big government and deficits - but the Republican congress was so bad in those departments that I can't see this one being any worse. Gridlock is probably the next best thing to electing Libertarians.

Flyp

US Congress elections
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
Quote from: Asmodai;231008

I forgot to vote - not that it matters. I would have voted for Hillary anyway and she won in a landslide.

lol i didn't know you were a US citizen O_O

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sunny Hill - Goodbye to Romance